• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

The testimony is terrifying, disgusting, every terrible word you can think of.

The fact that Spanier, Curly and co. knew about this without acting on it for nearly a decade is a huge, huge black eye for the university. An absolute failure of conscience and humanity from top down.

This stuff is disturbing as fuck to read, and the fact that Sandusky and his lawyer are making these kids relive everything and face him in court again instead of just pleading out and saving them from this shit shows that they are truly heartless bastards, as if that wasn't clear enough already.

What circle of hell is Joe Paterno sent to for knowing about this shit and doing nothing?

gutshot

I'm sure someone will claim he was ignorant of it all. It popped up several times here on GAF.

I don't think anyone claimed he was ignorant of anything, just that he did what he was supposed to do, report it to his superiors, and it was their failing to act on the info that was the real problem.

This really stood out to me in that report on the emails.

I am just flabbergasted that grown men had to ~look up~ if a "disturbing sexual act" was illegal or not. DUUUUUHHHHH.

I think you are reading it wrong, I took it to mean that they were trying to figure out if not reporting it would be a crime or not. Obviously everyone involved knew that having sex with kids is a crime.

Salaadin

McQuearys reaction still bugs the shit out of me. I know he says that he had a lot going on in his head but he still left the kid there. Slamming a locker door to let them know you are there isnt enough.

The email thing just blows my mind. They made sure they were humane to Sandusky? Really?

gutshot

This kind of thing isn't really in the NCAA's bailiwick. Public pressure might force them to act though.

Yeah, isn't the NCAA only obligated to step in if a school is doing something that is giving them a competitive advantage? Obviously, that isn't the case here.

I'm still totally on board with a B1G expulsion.

It won't happen, but I would absolutely support it. The NCAA probably won't do anything (and I'd honestly prefer the NCAA to steer clear of stuff like this), but I feel like the conference could do something, even if it falls short of expelling them.

I don't think anyone claimed he was ignorant of anything, just that he did what he was supposed to do, report it to his superiors, and it was their failing to act on the info that was the real problem.

He did what he was suppose to do by his employers standards, not by any decent moral standards. He continued to allow Sandusky to have an office, use football facilities and interact with his players AFTER knowing what he knew and the whole McQuery thing and did nothing. He acted despicably. Especially for a guy who is entrusted by parents with the care of a bunch of 17 and 18 year olds in order to mold them into being men.

Pollux

This kind of thing isn't really in the NCAA's bailiwick. Public pressure might force them to act though.
True, but the NCAA has given out punishments, including the death penalty, for "lack of institutional control". If this isn't a perfect description of "lack of institutional control" then I dont know what is.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Do the B1G bylaws contemplate expulsion of a member? PSU wasn't a founding member, so I'm assuming it's possible, albeit completely unlikely.

bro1

Banned
As a Penn State grade, I can tell you that we are disgusted and are looking forward to finding, prosecuting, and firing everyone involved with the cover up. I graduated in 1998 and Penn State is a big part of my life. All of my friends and fraternity brothers are angry/upset and can't wait to see these monsters pay.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/06/13/bernstein-penn-states-crimes-beyond-sandusky/

Wonder how the GAF Penn State crowd defending Paterno is going to explain away this one.

deepthroat.jpg

Money is what it always comes down too.

I'm sure Paterno had no idea what was going on. *rolls eyes*

I'm not sure of anything. The whole thing reeks. What should be done, and what will be done. What should be done, is the University should suspend the program until they clear out anybody involved. What they will do is continue to make millions and millions of dollars with their football team. Kinda like what they are doing at Florida AM with their Marching 100. That's what SHOULD be done.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
If those emails say what the reports say they say, it's gotta be all over for the Penn State football program. I think the typical NCAA touchstone of "institutional control" is pretty well out the window. This just blows that type of thing away.

If it really is true that the top two executives at Penn State and the Athletic Director failed to report a child rapist in their midst, (who had already been reported before,) when we now have strong testimony that such silence led to more children being raped, then the NCAA has to drop the hammer and drop it harder than ever before.

Oh yes, I'm saying they have to drop a bomb larger than they dropped on SMU back in the day. Hell, SMU just bought a few dudes some Camaros, set up a slush fund, and passed out money. That's NOTHING compared to shielding an accused serial child rapist.

If all this is true, and the NCAA doesn't kill Penn State dead for at least a generation, every member institution in Div I should walk out on the NCAA and start a new organization, lest they be tarnished by Penn State's continued membership. There are times when conduct is so appalling, an example must be made that will be spoken of for all time. Sometimes, you've gotta stick that head on a pike to get the point across to these knuckleheads that run these programs like it's their own personal kingdom. SMU got that treatment, and deservedly so. This situation is far, far worse, and so should be the penalty.

EDIT: And just so any Penn State whackjobs out there that think everybody's out to get them know...I have never hated Penn State in my life. They are not a rival of my school at all. I don't harbor any feelings toward them one way or another. This is just the way it is. The crime is too appalling, and so is any notion of an institutional coverup.

I'm a Penn State alumni, and I agree 110% with you. I am ashamed at this whole fiasco. I used to donate money to my alma mater, no longer. Never again. Not a single dime EVER. It's simply inexcusable, period.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/06/13/bernstein-penn-states-crimes-beyond-sandusky/

Wonder how the GAF Penn State crowd defending Paterno is going to explain away this one.

There is no excuse other than apathy and irresponsibility. It's utterly horrible behavior. And I say that as a PSU grad and huge fan. :(

aceface

The whole Penn State culture just sounds like a gigantic, state-funded cult.

Look up the two episodes of This American Life based on Penn State. They were really eye-opening...the people there seemed to loooooove Penn State to the degree that they could never imagine anything going wrong. Then this happened.

bluemax

Banned
True, but the NCAA has given out punishments, including the death penalty, for "lack of institutional control". If this isn't a perfect description of "lack of institutional control" then I dont know what is.

But its only LOIC when it involves "High Profile" players.

Fuck you Paul Dee, may you rot in a worse hell than JoePa.

drspeedy

I can tell you how the alumni I know have reacted. I've heard:

"Joe was probably just using his celebrity and influence to help get funding, he didn't make any millions or anything. It's pretty common at a lot of schools, I bet."

"He donated so much to the university, and he didn't make that much as coach, so what if he had business deals, he should"

and

"He did what he had to. It's really the school's fault for not doing more."

none of these are my opinions, mind you.

Look up the two episodes of This American Life based on Penn State. They were really eye-opening...the people there seemed to loooooove Penn State to the degree that they could never imagine anything going wrong. Then this happened.

That's not likely to change. PSU is reaaaaallllyyy important in the state. Scandal or no.

the NCAA is almost as corrupt as Penn State. They won't do shit they'd rather just pretend the kiddie fucking scandal never happened...but heaven forbid if a USC recruit gets a golf cart ride or some shit.

Man, more sickening testimony today.

Is there ANY chance that Sandusky could actually be acquitted? It seems unthinkable.

I think a hung jury is the only possibility aside from a conviction we could see. I worry about the jurors with connections to the University and how they may react if they feel like they may be hurting Penn State if they find him guilty.

Sanjuro

My total posts in this thread is almost as sickening as the crimes.

I'm personally enjoying Sandusky's personal hell. It's like he got the stuttering lawyer from My Cousin Vinny.

I think a hung jury is the only possibility aside from a conviction we could see. I worry about the jurors with connections to the University and how they may react if they feel like they may be hurting Penn State if they find him guilty.
Yeah I was reading about jury selection and am kinda amazed that so many people with Penn State connections got through. I guess the prosecution must have been okay with it.

Maybe the reverse of your worry is true, though - that if a Penn-heavy jury actually acquitted this guy in the face of such evidence it'd look like some kind of whitewash and actually reflect even worse on the university. The only way forward for PSU's reputation is to come down on this guy like a ton of bricks.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Yeah I was reading about jury selection and am kinda amazed that so many people with Penn State connections got through. I guess the prosecution must have been okay with it.

Maybe the reverse of your worry is true, though - that if a Penn-heavy jury actually acquitted this guy in the face of such evidence it'd look like some kind of whitewash and actually reflect even worse on the university. The only way forward for PSU's reputation is to come down on this guy like a ton of bricks.
I don't think it was possible to get a jury without penn state ties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom