• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy hell. You think someone at Penn State would infiltrate his home and get rid of his Penn State clothing, as he was arrested with a Penn State Wrestling wind breaker on.

HeySeuss

At this point they're probably just working the insanity/illness angle. If he goes to prison as a child molester he's a dead man walking. So now they're trying to convince people he doesn't understand that what he did was wrong and he only has an illness and he only needs to spent time in a health ward.
I doubt it. Pedos believe that their attraction to children should be considered a sexuality, just like gay or straight. If that's the defense his lawyer is really trying to go with, that goes against everything that previous pedos have tried to argue for decades. I think we have to consider the more likely reason is that his lawyer is just incompetent and in way over his head.

beast786

Lawyer: No Plea Talks on Eve of Sandusky Hearing

On the eve of a key court hearing, Jerry Sandusky's lawyer said that no plea negotiations have been held and that the former Penn State assistant football coach is looking forward to facing his accusers in the child sex-abuse case.

As many as 10 young men could testify in public for the first time at the hearing, which is expected to last at least a full day Tuesday and perhaps spill into a second day.

At the preliminary hearing, a judge will decide if prosecutors have enough evidence to send the case to trial. It's almost a given that prosecutors will succeed, since the bar is low and they have detailed the accusations in a 28-page grand jury report.

Defense lawyers sometimes waive preliminary hearings in those circumstances to avoid more negative publicity, but the ex-coach's lawyer said the defense is eager to hear from the witnesses and gauge the strength of the case.

"We plan to proceed with Jerry's hearing, and Jerry is looking forward to the opportunity to face his accusers," lawyer Joe Amendola told The Associated Press on Monday.

Amendola said there had been no plea negotiations, and he wouldn't say if he would call Sandusky to testify.

Sandusky, 63, is charged with more than 50 counts of child sex-abuse involving 10 boys he met through the children's charity he founded. Penn State's longtime defensive coordinator, he was the heir apparent to longtime coach Joe Paterno until Sandusky's unexpected retirement at age 55 in 1999.
Gerald
AP
FILE - A Nov. 5, 2011 file photo shows former... View Full Caption

Criminal lawyers say there are several things to look for at the preliminary hearing.

The first is the demeanor of the accusers, who must give sensitive testimony in front of 200 people in the courtroom, half of them reporters.

The defense will no doubt try to cast doubt on their stories and question whether they have financial motives for coming forward. Most have hired lawyers and are expected to sue Sandusky — who is not thought to have much in the way of assets — and Penn State, which does.

Another question is whether prosecutors will call other witnesses, such as assistant coach Michael McQueary, who told the grand jury he saw Sandusky sodomize a boy in a locker room shower in 2002.

"We are prepared to question Michael McQueary if the commonwealth calls him as a witness," Amendola told the AP on Monday.

McQueary's testimony, however, could be troublesome for the state and may not be needed to show probable cause.

The day after the shower encounter, McQueary reported what he saw to Paterno, who then spoke to other Penn State administrators, according to the grand jury report. State law enforcement officials have criticized Paterno and the administrators for not doing more when presented with those allegations nine years ago.

Paterno said McQueary only reported seeing Sandusky "fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy," according to the grand jury's summary of Paterno's testimony. Paterno said in a Nov. 6 statement that McQueary "at no time related to me the very specific actions contained in the grand jury report."

After Sandusky was charged last month, McQueary himself faced criticism that he left the locker room rather than help the boy. He later sent out an ambiguously worded email that read, "I did stop it, not physically, but made sure it was stopped when I left that locker room."

Former Philadelphia sex-crimes prosecutor Richard DeSipio said he would be surprised if prosecutors called McQueary to the stand this week.

"I don't think they're going to show all their cards," he said.

Asked if he would put Sandusky on the stand, Amendola replied only: "Maybe."

There defense strategy has been kind of weird. Doing the interviews etc. And now showing so much confidence.

Is this to intimidate the victims?

Dude Abides

Banned
I doubt it. Pedos believe that their attraction to children should be considered a sexuality, just like gay or straight. If that's the defense his lawyer is really trying to go with, that goes against everything that previous pedos have tried to argue for decades. I think we have to consider the more likely reason is that his lawyer is just incompetent and in way over his head.

Really? Have pedos actually tried to argue in court (as opposed to in books, on the internet, etc.) that it's just another orientation?

Cyan

Banned
On the eve of a key court hearing, Jerry Sandusky's lawyer said that no plea negotiations have been held and that the former Penn State assistant football coach is looking forward to facing his accusers in the child sex-abuse case.

Man, that just made me shudder.

There defense strategy has been kind of weird. Doing the interviews etc. And now showing so much confidence.

Is this to intimidate the victims?

Its a sex crime case, and, as far as I can tell, with little to no forensic evidence. I am guessing the strategy is to discredit the victims.

I am curious about something. Since one of the new victims to come forward was molested in 2004, 2 years after the incident at PSU, can Paterno and the rest be charged as accessories after the fact? It would seem logical to me that if someone had called the police in 2002 the 2004 incident would not have happened.

Dude Abides

Banned
I am curious about something. Since one of the new victims to come forward was molested in 2004, 2 years after the incident at PSU, can Paterno and the rest be charged as accessories after the fact? It would seem logical to me that if someone had called the police in 2002 the 2004 incident would not have happened.

No, an accessory after the fact is someone who helps the perpetrator get away with the crime. If they would be on the hook for anything, it'd be the 2002 incident they knew about, but not caring about the crime and hoping it goes away is not enough to make someone an accessory after the fact.

Its a sex crime case, and, as far as I can tell, with little to no forensic evidence. I am guessing the strategy is to discredit the victims.

I'd usually be inclined to think there's some consistent albeit unorthodox strategy being employed here, but I suspect Amendola is just woefully incompetent. When you allow your client to give major interviews twice in which he cannot wholeheartedly deny being sexually attracted to young boys, you might be a shitty lawyer.

Salaadin

His lawyer was on the news last night implying that the victims were in on it together.

There was also a bit about McQueary:

McQueary said that after he witnessed the shower incident, he went to his father’s house for advice. When he arrived, Dr. Jonathan Dranov, a family friend, was also there, the Patriot-News reported.
A Patriot-News source said according to Dranov’s testimony, he asked McQueary three times if he witnessed anything sexual and each time McQueary answered no.

Dranov advised McQueary to speak with Joe Paterno, instead of going to police, because he had not seen anything sexual.

McQueary went to Paterno the next day. Paterno, who was fired last month, stated that rape or anything else graphic, was not revealed to him.
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...ontradicts-mcquearys-statements#ixzz1gLuEmvlQ

sonicfan

Venerable Member
Holy Cow.....what an idiot....

Jerry Sandusky’s lawyer suggests calling a gay sex line to prove Sandusky’s innocence

Jerry Sandusky's attorney isn't off to the best start.

Joseph Amendola, who is supposed to be defending the former Penn State defensive coordinator who has been accused of multiple counts of sex abuse against young boys, continues to have foot-in-mouth moments. Tuesday, after Sandusky waived his preliminary hearing to go straight to trial, Amedola held an impromptu news conference on the courthouse steps and announced that anyone who thinks Sandusky is a child molester should call "1-800-REALITY."

"Anyone who is naive enough to think for a minute that Tim Curley, Joe Paterno, Gary Schultz and, for that matter, Graham Spanier, the university president, were told by Mike McQueary that he observed Jerry Sandusky having anal sex with a 10-year-old-looking kid in a shower at Penn State or Penn State property and their response was to simply tell Jerry Sandusky that, 'Don't go in the shower room any more with kids.' I suggest you dial 1-800-REALITY. Because that makes absolutely no sense."

No, what makes no sense is Amendola asking folks to call a gay sex line in an attempt to clear his client's name. Yeah, "1-800-REALITY" is a gay sex line. We know. We called. We heard "Hey guys, welcome to the hottest place for triple-X action" and we hung up.

It's such a bad mistake that you can hear the district attorney and the rest of the prosecution giggling in an office somewhere.

Amendola's misdial came just a month after Sandusky flubbed his response when Bob Costas asked whether he was sexually attracted to young boys. And just 10 days after Sandusky stumbled while trying to clarify his attraction to young boys in an interview with the New York Times with Amendola sitting in a chair reading just a few feet away.

It's been one faux pas after another for Sandusky and his legal team and none of it has made Sandusky look less guilty or as a sympathetic character.

From the very beginning, Amendola's defense has been to get out in front of the media and let Sandusky tell his story and it has backfired at every turn. This latest gaffe should be a sign from the universe that staying quiet might be their best public defense.

slit

Amendola must be doing this on purpose. It's almost like the plan is to get Sandusky convicted and then claim incompetent representation.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I don't think the "1-800-REALITY" thing is all that bad. It wasn't a serious suggestion.

I agree. Who the hell would think that would be a gay phone sex number? Next time he should go hollywood, and suggest they call 1-555-REALITY, just to be safe.

Shiv47

This one of the best things yet from Sandusky's legal team:

HARRISBURG, Pa. (WHTM) -

A Carlisle attorney who has joined Jerry Sandusky's defense team says the former Penn State assistant football coach may have showered with young boys because the children lacked basic hygiene skills.

Sandusky is accused of molesting ten boys he met through The Second Mile charity he founded for troubled youth.

"Some of these kids don't have basic hygiene skills," attorney Karl Rominger said. "Teaching a person to shower at the age of 12 or 14 sounds strange to some people, but people who work with troubled youth will tell you there are a lot of juvenile delinquents and people who are dependent who have to be taught basic life skills like how to put soap on their body."

Rominger, who spoke with abc27 News Tuesday, added that his college cross country coach often showered with the team.

He said he does not disagree with Sandusky's decision to talk to the media. He does, however, believe he could have come across a little better.

"The problem is if you're an innocent person who's not articulate, you're not going to come across well, but you're still innocent," Rominger said. "A guilty person who is very articulate might come across innocent. So it's not a fair fight."

Rominger said the grand jury's presentment has some real credibility issues, starting with the testimony of assistant football coach Mike McQueary, who testified he saw Sandusky raping a young boy in a campus shower. McQueary's story has been called into question after reports that he told a family friend he did not actually see the abuse.

"They (the grand jury) said McQueary's highly credible," Rominger said. "We now know that's not true. And I guarantee you you're going to see other parts of that presentment that are not true."

Rominger said similarities in the accusers' stories are not problematic to the defense. In fact, they may point more toward innocence.

"That's what's unusual about this case," he said. "We don't see unique victimologies and that is a flag to somebody for false reports of collusion, because one child picks up on another one's story."

Salazar

Hope those victims get through this. Fuck him talking about similarities pointing to collusion. Sandusky developed a method, and to his surprise, motherfuckers didn't stop him.

Ah, so sticking his penis inside a child was his way of teaching them about cleanliness?

This whole story is revolting, and the way his defence team is playing this is by turns ridiculous and appalling.

heyf00L

This whole story is revolting, and the way his defence team is playing this is by turns ridiculous and appalling.
This is what defense teams do. It's their job to try to come up with the best way to get him acquitted. Now this is supposed to ensure that the state does its job well and can't throw whoever they want in jail, but in cases like this it is revolting. However, I don't know what else a defense team is supposed to do if the guy doesn't want to just confess.

All this being excited to face his accuses stuff is also revolting. I know that's a standard part of what a trial is, but don't they make an exception in cases where seeing the accused can cause serious mental anguish for the victims?

beast786

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf-...ndola-.html;_ylt=AuxdZwBZYJ9BFCSRgxlO9a45nYcB

BELLEFONTE, Pa. – It was late on a long, hot day inside the Centre County Courthouse, and Jerry Sandusky's defense against sexual molestation charges already had been rocked by powerful, personal testimony of an indomitable witness. An unidentified witness (left) testifies on Monday as Jerry Sandusky looks on. (Reuters)

As the first day of the trial grinded through an afternoon of testimony, Sandusky's attorney Joe Amendola kept grasping at straws, kept seeking angles to prop up his client as a kind-hearted guy who was the victim of overaggressive police and money-hungry accusers.

So he tried to take the words of the trial's first witness, known as Victim No. 4 in court documents, and spin them around. Earlier Monday, the witness, who was a weak 13-year-old boy when he met Sandusky but is now a no-nonsense 28-year-old man, had said the former Penn State defensive coordinator treated him "like a son."

Victim No. 4 just shook his head and dismissed the suggestion that anything positive could be gleaned from the description.

"He treated me like a son in front of other people," the witness said, sternly, with an air of scolding toward the defense attorney.

"Aside from that, he treated me like his girlfriend."

As gasps were audibly heard in the courtroom for a line straight off a movie script, Amendola paused, shuffled his notes and kept fumbling as the witness maintained his steely posture.

Unless the defense has a plan to later recall the witness and catch him in multiple lies, there were almost no positives to the day for Sandusky. It was a bludgeoning, as if the witness had been waiting 15 years to rain down these stories on his alleged perpetrator and wasn't going to miss a single opportunity to go for the throat.

The witness vividly detailed what he estimated were at least 40 acts of inappropriate sexual contact in the Penn State football locker room showers alone – games of "soap battles" and wrestling matches turning into repeated attempts at oral and anal sex.

Amendola didn't even attempt to counter those accusations, which were equal parts powerful and painful to hear.

Sandusky, 68, is facing 52 counts based on using his Second Mile charity and his stature within Penn State football to sexual molest 10 children over a 15-year period. He's maintained his innocence, although even Amendola acknowledged in his opening arguments Monday morning that the state possessed "overwhelming evidence."

And that was before the jury of 12 heard from the state's first witness, clad in crew cut, white dress shirt and a dark tie. Yahoo! Sports will not name the alleged victims.

Over nearly five hours Victim No. 4 recapped how Sandusky first met him when he was a somewhat troubled teenager at a Second Mile charity picnic. When a bunch of kids went swimming in a lake, Sandusky joined them, and during a game where he'd throw the children in the air, the witness first realized something was wrong.

"[He'd] kind of [pretend] like he was having trouble getting a good grip," the witness said. "And as he was grabbing you he would brush your genitals and then throw you."

Without a positive male role model in his life, the boy clung to Sandusky, who offered attention, gifts, trips and unheard of access to Penn State football, including team locker rooms, charter flights, hotels, bowl trips and sideline passes. He was constantly around star players.

The trade off was workouts at Penn State, maybe basketball or racquetball, maybe just general exercise. No matter what worked up the sweat, it was washed off during two-person shower sessions in either the old football coaches' locker room or the team's new main shower room. Those would descend into groping, forced contact with private parts and even absurd "wrestling" matches, where the burly Sandusky would pin the 90-pound boy in any compromising position he wanted.

"Combination of the oral sex or just groping me," the witness said. "Sometimes there would be no oral sex that would happen but he'd be between my thighs kissing them like I was a girl."

Time and time again he kept delivering these bombs, lines so perfect it's like he'd been spending years rehearsing for the day he might get to deliver them.

He laid Sandusky out, often staring right into the defendant's face, calling him by name and controlling Amendola on cross examination like it was actually he that was the experienced defense attorney.

He expressed repeated regret at not running from Sandusky, but noted it was because of fear, confusion and an acute understanding that he'd be mocked at school.

"It's not that simple, you just [can't] say, 'OK, I'm done.'" There was also the odd mix of being so excited about getting to be part of the Penn State program ("I was like the mascot") that he could block out the shower sessions.

"I thought, I didn't want to lose this," the witness said. "This is something good happening to me. I didn't have a dad."

He ripped Sandusky for sending him "creepy love letters" – handwritten on Penn State stationery – that Amendola tried to define as attempts by a mentor to keep a potentially wayward soul from going down the wrong path.

The witness instead noted they only started coming when he turned 16 and was strong enough to attempt to end the relationship. It was then, he said, Sandusky panicked and began sending letters and making emotional phone calls, like a heartbroken lover.

Later, when Amendola inexplicably had the witness read them in open court, Victim No. 4 used the tone of his voice to convey further condemnation at both defendant and his representation.

"I know that I have made several mistakes," the witness read Sandusky's words from one letter. "However, I hope that I will be able to say that I cared. There has been love in my heart. My wish is that you would call …"

And another: "I write because of the churning of my own stomach when you don't care. I write because I still hope that there will be meaningful time when we know each other."

Most were signed: "Jer."

Then there were "contracts" supposedly under the auspices of The Second Mile (which an administrator for the charity later testified were fake) that required the witness participate in a variety of activities with Sandusky, including more of those workouts where a trip to the shower room or sauna always followed. Amendola tried to use the documents to show Sandusky genuinely cared.

"Clearly," the witness snapped at Amendola, "that is a contract to get me to be around him more."

Amendola was a flailing mess by the end. He seemed unprepared for the cross examination, routinely getting dates and facts wrong and leading the witness into retelling the disturbing tales of abuse in the shower room. If he doesn't have a plan to catch the witness in repeated and profound lies, this made no sense.

It's difficult to tell where the defense will go from here. Seven more alleged victims are scheduled to testify. Amendola noted in opening arguments that Sandusky would defend himself, "in his own words," setting up the prospect of a wild stretch of testimony.

On Monday, Amendola kept opening doors that blew up on him, violating a cardinal rule of cross examination, which is not to ask a question you don't know the answer to. Once, when arguing Sandusky helped with a school homework assignment, the witness said Sandusky actually wrote the entire thing, allowing him to cheat. Another time, he said Sandusky purchased two cartons of cigarettes for him when he was 15.

Then there was the time the witness bought marijuana.

"[Sandusky] drove me there," the witness said.

Did Sandusky know what you bought, Amendola asked?

"I smoked it right in front of him in his car," the witness said.

The witness didn't help Penn State, either. He said four assistant coaches saw him showering with Sandusky at different times although no sexual activity occurred at that time because from the shower they could hear someone working the coaches locker room lock, giving Sandusky time to step away.

At one point, the witness said former assistant coach Tom Bradley got into the showers with Sandusky and the boy. The witness said he believed Bradley was "suspicious," and did it to assure the boy's safety, refusing to leave until Sandusky did first.

Also Monday, Penn State acknowledged an NBC report about an email exchange between top university officials regarding accusations by assistant coach Mike McQueary that Sandusky raped another victim. Former school president Graham Spanier, athletic director Tim Curley and vice president Gary Schultz decided that not alerting the police would be "humane" to Sandusky.

It's the smoking gun that critics of the university have been waiting for since this scandal broke.

As for Sandusky and Amendola, they can only hope a new dawn brings new hope. Trials aren't won or lost on the first day, but this was undoubtedly bad.

One hard-minded accuser unleashed years of buried anger and hidden emotions on their cross-examination strategy.

A kid who once cowered in front of Jerry Sandusky was all grown up Monday afternoon, strong, fearless and unafraid of telling it all on good old Jer.

I am so happy that the victims were not intimated by this sleeze old man.

I thought the judge had ruled they could not testify under false names. Did he change his mind? Or did I misinterpret the first story? Or is the newspaper just choosing not to identify them- which would be a nice gesture, but not very news-y and a losing cause.

I thought the judge had ruled they could not testify under false names. Did he change his mind? Or did I misinterpret the first story? Or is the newspaper just choosing not to identify them- which would be a nice gesture, but not very news-y and a losing cause.

It said that Yahoo! News didn't publish the names. I'm sure some other news outlet has reported them, though.

Devastating first day for the defense. If it keeps up like this I guess it'll be quite the easy verdict.

I see that now. Somehow I completely skipped over that line.

I also didn't know about the Penn State e-mails bombshell. Have they thrown money out to settle the civil cases yet?

edit: Probably not, since it is just Monday. But that is bad news information for the University. Not that they don't deserve it.

We remarked yesterday on the difficulty of finding jurors in Centre County, Pa., with no connection to Penn State, and so it has come to pass: Four of the nine picked yesterday have some tie to Penn State or to one of the witnesses likely to be involved. And three of the four chosen this morning (including one alternate) are all employed by Penn State, with the alternate being a PSU alumna, according to Sara Ganim of the Patriot-News of Harrisburg.

From Ganim's description of the jurors:

Juror No. 9: An administrative assistant who works in the engineering department.

Juror No. 10: A continuing education dance instructor who said during voir dire that children don't always tell the truth. Also, Ganim writes, this juror's "husband works as a media information specialist at Penn State, and she said she has talked to him about this case."

Juror No. 12: A Penn State professor for the last 24 years who once worked on a committee with Graham Spanier—the university president fired last November in wake of the scandal—and Rodney Erickson, Spanier's replacement.

That makes eight out of 13 with some Penn State connection, with three alternates yet to be chosen. This probably says less about the prospects of the Sandusky prosecution than it does about the nature of central Pennsylvania, which, if you haven't noticed, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Penn State. Nearly everyone has some tie to the university. Trying a former Penn State coach in front of jurors drawn from this community is like putting a chocolate executive on trial in Hershey, Pa.

http://deadspin.com/5916289/the-nex...ate-ties-including-three-university-employees

This giant clusterfuck just keeps getting bigger and bigger

Also Monday, Penn State acknowledged an NBC report about an email exchange between top university officials regarding accusations by assistant coach Mike McQueary that Sandusky raped another victim. Former school president Graham Spanier, athletic director Tim Curley and vice president Gary Schultz decided that not alerting the police would be "humane" to Sandusky.

It's the smoking gun that critics of the university have been waiting for since this scandal broke.

That'll be hard for the NCAA to ignore.

Fucking death fucking penalty is too good for that program if an AD, and the University President and VP covered up a rape of a little boy.

This isn't Paterno on trial. Sandusky is legitimately the bad guy, and also tarnished the University's name, which will hurt him. So I don't think this factor is a good thing for Sandusky.

Also, jury selection is complicated, and the venue being what it is, it is fairly understandable that the end result would be something like that.

Also, the children sometimes don't tell the truth could be something as benign as one of the attorneys saying, who would agree that children sometimes tells fibs, and the whole room raises their hands.

This isn't Paterno on trial. Sandusky is legitimately the bad guy, and also tarnished the University's name, which will hurt him. So I don't think this factor is a good thing for Sandusky.

Also, jury selection is complicated, and the venue being what it is, it is fairly understandable that the end result would be something like that..

Indeed. Considering the location, they probably couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a staff member of Penn State.

The trial is really just a formality. There was never a valid defense strategy.

Which is what worries me, the idea that they don't think they need a valid defense. That write-up on the jury sounds like a mess waiting to happen.

It doesn't matter who is on trial or the character. The people that covered this up weren't just trying to protect Sandusky, they were protecting their institution. It would not surprise me for jurors to want the same.

I hope this destroys them.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Daaaaaaamn. They have that in writing? Fuck the Penn State administration.

More reading about the emails. There is some incredibly damning stuff in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom