• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
McQueary's testimony is pretty pathetic. You can tell his first instinct was to warn Sandusky with the whole locker slam.

When you witness a kid being raped your next thought shouldn't be, "Alright break it up you two!"

rpg_poser

I live in the Harrisburg, PA area and listen to radio news on the way to work. Here are some things being said about the trial:

1. Sandusky killed JoePA.
2. Sandusky's defense is trying to poke holes in the victims testimony and the victims might be conspiring for money as some have retained lawyers for civil suits.
3. The first victim's testimony was non-emotional. The second's was very emotional.

I am not a PA native, its shocking to see even now how people here defend JoePa's inaction. if you read "outside" accounts of the victim's testimonies, they are not non-emotional and very emtional, they are an adult heapng scorn on Sandusky while the other is a young person who is confused and sad. No mention of Amendohl (sp?) fumbling for a defense either.
I hope Corbett's inaction gets some spotlight too.
Disgusting to see how the truth is being glossed over. Here in PA, they love their buearacracies and don't like to see them fall.

Remember, the only explanation that makes sense of this is that Sandusky going up the river would have revealed that Paterno had let another reported incident slide in 1998. So Paterno convinced the other two to let it slide again.

I am not a PA native, its shocking to see even now how people here defend JoePa's inaction.
There was no inaction, I guarantee it. Paterno took action to cover it all up. Paterno took McQueary's story to Curley and Schultz personally and downgraded the description to "horseplay". Then McQueary talks to those two directly and one says that sex was not mentioned and the other says he "can't remember". Paterno had already let them know what would happen if this didn't get swept under the rug just like last time.

bro1

Banned
Yeah I was reading about jury selection and am kinda amazed that so many people with Penn State connections got through. I guess the prosecution must have been okay with it.

Maybe the reverse of your worry is true, though - that if a Penn-heavy jury actually acquitted this guy in the face of such evidence it'd look like some kind of whitewash and actually reflect even worse on the university. The only way forward for PSU's reputation is to come down on this guy like a ton of bricks.

No serious actual PSU alumn wants nothing less than the total eradication of this corrupt program. I spent a very wonderful period of my life there in the Greek system and I want to put this behind us. We need to fire/indite all available and make sure all involved are removed ASAP.

Yeah I was reading about jury selection and am kinda amazed that so many people with Penn State connections got through. I guess the prosecution must have been okay with it.

Maybe the reverse of your worry is true, though - that if a Penn-heavy jury actually acquitted this guy in the face of such evidence it'd look like some kind of whitewash and actually reflect even worse on the university. The only way forward for PSU's reputation is to come down on this guy like a ton of bricks.

Good point. It makes me more surprised about the partiality of the jury. I guess it's being tried in the town and you have to work with what you have.

No serious actual PSU alumn wants nothing less than the total eradication of this corrupt program.
Maybe. Maybe now they do, but it seems plenty of them were willing to downplay this and call it a BS witchhunt before they knew they could not get away from it. There has been lots of people calling it lies and now even more want to make it look like this is a singular stain on a spotless institution.

Good point. It makes me more surprised about the partiality of the jury. I guess it's being tried in the town and you have to work with what you have.

Maybe. Maybe now they do, but it seems plenty of them were willing to downplay this and call it a BS witchhunt before they knew they could not get away from it. There has been lots of people calling it lies and now even more want to make it look like this is a singular stain on a spotless institution.

Or the firm stance that "this could have happened at any university"

A lot of them truly believe that other universities would have done the same thing to protect their football program.

A lot of them truly believe that other universities would have done the same thing to protect their football program.

I still encounter Penn State fans who try to take the moral high ground against me, an Ohio State alum.

Because, y'know, lying about tattoos is way worse than covering up child rape.

WTF why wouldn't they move it out of Penn State?

Something about the defense being able to object...though the feds have stated they can take over the case if need be as he took boys across state lines...

Also, the testimony from victim #10 is absolutely horrifying.

"He told me that if I told anybody I would never see my family again," said the man, who was living in a foster home at the time and is known in court documents as Victim 10. "I didn't say anything. Then he apologized for saying that and said he loved me."

But its only LOIC when it involves "High Profile" players.

And only when "High Profile" means "plays at USC." Terelle Pryor was a pretty fucking "high profile player" by any other measure.

Anyway, if this school's football program exists past 2012 it will be an absolute mockery of college athletics.

bjb

Banned
I still encounter Penn State fans who try to take the moral high ground against me, an Ohio State alum.

Because, y'know, lying about tattoos is way worse than covering up child rape.

Tattoo's aside, there' no denying that OSU is an absolutely filthy and scandal-ridden University.

Have fun with Meyer.

Tattoo's aside, there' no denying that OSU is an absolutely filthy and scandal-ridden University.

Have fun with Meyer.

Not really any more than other university with an athletic department as large as ours. And the entire university? GTFO. Our biggest problem is our incredibly stupid athletic director.

And we will have fun with Meyer, so thanks.

gutshot

There was no inaction, I guarantee it. Paterno took action to cover it all up. Paterno took McQueary's story to Curley and Schultz personally and downgraded the description to "horseplay". Then McQueary talks to those two directly and one says that sex was not mentioned and the other says he "can't remember". Paterno had already let them know what would happen if this didn't get swept under the rug just like last time.

I don't think that is the case. The emails pretty conclusively prove that Curley and Schultz, and now Spanier, were behind the cover-up, not Paterno.

I don't think that is the case. The emails pretty conclusively prove that Curley and Schultz, and now Spanier, were behind the cover-up, not Paterno.

I doubt that Paterno will ever be definitively tied to the coverup (Did Paterno even use e-mail?), but considering how close this group of repugnant old men were - professionally, personally, and financially - it's really hard to believe that he had absolutely nothing to do with it.

But nobody is going to throw a corpse under the bus anyway. If Paterno was involved, chances are these men will take that secret to their graves.

greepoman

Paterno definitely doesn't stink as much as the others (given this evidence) but I still don't get all the defending of his actions you see in all the comments of the articles. If the crime was a murder would people still people be ok with him just passing it up the chain?

Wait wait, since when is Jerry Sandusky a Penn State football legend? Before the pedo-sex scandal, how many normal people actually knew the name Jerry Sandusky?

McQueary's testimony is pretty pathetic. You can tell his first instinct was to warn Sandusky with the whole locker slam.

When you witness a kid being raped your next thought shouldn't be, "Alright break it up you two!"

Not that it excuses any of his actions after the fact, but it sounds like he didn't know who was in the shower at first. It's possible he thought there were two men or students having sex, and he just didn't want to walk in on it.

That said, if Sandusky's proclivities were such an open secret, he may have suspected what was really going on in there.

drspeedy

Regarding jury selection, this bit is too true:

deadspin.com said:
This probably says less about the prospects of the Sandusky prosecution than it does about the nature of central Pennsylvania, which, if you haven't noticed, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Penn State. Nearly everyone has some tie to the university. Trying a former Penn State coach in front of jurors drawn from this community is like putting a chocolate executive on trial in Hershey, Pa.

Wait wait, since when is Jerry Sandusky a Penn State football legend? Before the pedo-sex scandal, how many normal people actually knew the name Jerry Sandusky?

Absolutely none. Great thread title, isn't it?

We went through this months ago, when the thread was started.

Jerry Sandusky was absolutely considered a legend. He was the man behind Linebacker U. Almost all Penn State football fans - not to mention many college football fans who appreciate a strong defensive strategy - revered Jerry Sandusky.

There was no single person who contributed more to Paterno's success than Jerry Sandusky.

It's sad, but I agree with this. Most other universities don't have leadership figures as luminous and long-lasting as JoePa; but those that do would likely take reprehensible steps to protect them because they are essentially a proxy for the university's image. I don't doubt at all that had something like this happened under Bear Bryant at Alabama, Bowden at Florida State, Dean Smith at North Carolina, Coack K at Duke, etc. that the school leadership would attempt to cover it up. It's what happens when you build up a single person to be this infallible image of perfection representing your institution, you will do anything you can to protect that image.

Trying a former Penn State coach in front of jurors drawn from this community is like putting a chocolate executive on trial in Hershey, Pa.

Great, now Im fucking worried.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
It's sad, but I agree with this. Most other universities don't have leadership figures as luminous and long-lasting as JoePa; but those that do would likely take reprehensible steps to protect them because they are essentially a proxy for the university's image. I don't doubt at all that had something like this happened under Bear Bryant at Alabama, Bowden at Florida State, Dean Smith at North Carolina, Coack K at Duke, etc. that the school leadership would attempt to cover it up. It's what happens when you build up a single person to be this infallible image of perfection representing your institution, you will do anything you can to protect that image.

I'm pretty sure that the only cover-up at Alabama would have been the cover-up of the murder of whichever coach was filling the Sandusky role once the Bear found out about it.

Pollux

I'm pretty sure that the only cover-up at Alabama would have been the cover-up of the murder of whichever coach was filling the Sandusky role once the Bear found out about it.

Same goes for Coach K at Duke. As much as it pains me to say it considering how much I despise the school and that coach...

Trying a former Penn State coach in front of jurors drawn from this community is like putting a chocolate executive on trial in Hershey, Pa.

Great, now Im fucking worried.

This was addressed a bit earlier. But this is more like trying a Hershey's exec who raped the children you sent to his factory to go on a tour. I don't think the fact will get him far. The prosecution apparently didn't either, as I don't believe they requested a changed of venue.

This is not Milton Hershey (JoePa, who can do no wrong, despite obviously knowing) on trial. If JoePa had lived to face charges (unlikely), then it would be a huge issue. This is just a high level guy who has marred the reputation of chocolate as a whole. Get rid of him and we can pretend the problem away.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I heard on the news yesterday that the judge ordered them to rest their case by the end of the week.

Unless they're blatantly stalling, how does the judge order them to rest the case?

Why would they rest so quickly?

gutshot

Unless they're blatantly stalling, how does the judge order them to rest the case?

Why would they rest so quickly?

I have no idea. I was just watching CNN and they said that they just received word that the judge had ordered the prosecution to rest their case by Friday. It's possible the reporter misspoke or maybe I heard it wrong?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Judge John Cleland said Thursday he expects the commonwealth of Pennsylvania to conclude its case against Sandusky Thursday afternoon.

I see this in a CNN article. That seems remarkably fast.

Penn State is more than football. Not all of the sport teams need to suffer.

Football is the cash cow for all your other sports. If football goes down, so does the money supply for everything else. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

And when the Athletic Director, who is in charge of ALL SPORTS, the VP and the Pres. who are in charge of the WHOLE UNIVERSITY are the ones conspiring not to report a child rapist, sorry, it isn't contained to football, even if you wanted it to be.

I live in State College, and believe me, the average citizens of Centre County want Sandusky's head.

This is the impression I've gotten. I don't see Sandusky having any chance at being acquitted.

The main thing that seems to set off Penn State fans is the implication that their beloved JoePa did anything wrong whatsoever. They seem to be mostly okay with Sandusky, Curley, and Spanier being taken down.

Jerry Sandusky To Be Inducted Into Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame

STATE COLLEGE, Pa., June 14, 1999 -- Defensive Coordinator Jerry Sandusky, largely responsible for Penn State earning the tag, "Linebacker U.," will be inducted into the Washington-Greene County Chapter of the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame during a ceremony on Friday, June 18.

Also slated for induction is former Nittany Lion Guy Montecalvo, the head football coach at Washington (Pa.) High School.

During Sandusky's 31 years on the Penn State coaching staff, the Lions have won nearly 80 percent of their games and earned 28 bowl invitations. As the linebackers coach, Sandusky has guided nine first-team All-America linebackers, the most recent being LaVar Arrington in 1998. Among some of the other more notable linebackers Sandusky has coached are: Jack Ham, Greg Buttle, Ed O'Neil, Shane Conlan and Andre Collins.

A native of Washington, Pa., Sandusky has been associated with Penn State football almost continuously since he arrived as a student-athlete at the university in 1962. He was a starting defensive end for the Lions from 1963-65. Following his graduation in 1966, he had one-year coaching stints at Juniata College and Boston University before returning to Penn State as an assistant coach in 1969. In 1977, he was promoted to defensive coordinator.

Sandusky is the founder of the Second Mile, a charitable organization concerned with the welfare of young people throughout Pennsylvania, with more than 100,000 children being touched through the Second Mile's eight programs. His efforts with the organization resulted in his selection as the Pennsylvania winner of the SGMA Heroes award in 1996.

Sandusky was also awarded Penn State's Barash Human Services Award, the YMCA's Service-To-Youth Award and the Human Rights Award, presented by the Washington, Pa., branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People to Jerry and his father, Art, in 1993.

The ceremonies honoring Sandusky and Montecalvo will be held in Washington, Pa., at the Holiday Inn at the Meadowlands, with a reception on Thursday and the induction on Friday.

http://www.psu.edu/dept/psusportsinfo/football/1999/061499sandusky.html

I'd say if you are the guy responsible for Penn State being known nationwide as "Linebacker U," you're a pretty big deal.

GCYH6.png

gutshot

Hmmm... this accuser seems a bit sketchy.

On cross-examination, the man testified that in recent years he and Sandusky exchanged text messages, sent notes for holidays and special occasions and last summer met for lunch. He also told the court that Sandusky and his wife, Dottie, had supported a mission trip he took to Mexico.

When asked why he had decided to testify against Sandusky, the witness said he had been approached by investigators and asked to think more about the 1998 encounter.

"As I started to go over it in my mind I quickly realized, my perception changed thinking about it as an adult as opposed to an 11-year-old," he said. "That was inappropriate, what happened to me."

Asked if he was looking for financial benefit from coming forward, the man replied, "Zero."

http://espn.go.com/college-football...r-claims-jerry-sandusky-called-tickle-monster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom