• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezekial45

Banned
Even if the unthinkable happened and he got off they could re-try him on the new charge though.

Even if he avoided charges, isn't his life pretty much over anyway? Even though his wife is still sticking around, which perplexes me, no one else is gonna want to be anywhere near him. His football legacy is in ruins and everyone on the PSU campus despises him.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Apparently the prosecution was told and chose not to bring him in. Seems like there might be holes or inconsistencies in the story and they felt they had a strong case without him anyway. Which they did.

Edit: More of the story is out now:

Jerry Sandusky decided not to testify in his child sex abuse trial after his lawyers were warned that prosecutors would call a surprise new witness — one of the defendant’s own adopted sons, sources told NBC News. The man's lawyers said he was prepared to testify that his father had abused him. Matt Sandusky, one of six adopted children of Jerry and Dottie Sandusky, was observed by NBC News entering the courthouse, accompanied by Pennsylvania state troopers, on Wednesday morning as the defense was preparing to wrap up its case — and apparently still wrestling with whether Jerry Sandusky, the former Penn State defensive coordinator, would take the stand.

So that's why Sandusky didn't testify. Link

Dan Wetzel of Yahoo said that the defense had a better closing statement, but he's a sports writer so I don't know what to make of that.

If it makes you feel better, the jury usually has already made their mind up by closing statement time. And the previous 7/8 of the trial was the equivalent of the Titanic going down for the defense.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Yep, bla bla bla he was a victim. I think he's a scumbag, for conveniently waiting until the jury is sequestered for deliberation to drop a bomb that would've probably put him away for sure.
Hey, dick. Do you have any idea what this guy was going through? Did you even read the article where it said he went to the prosecution and was prepared to testify? That the prosecution was going to use his testimony to refute Sandusky's testimony had Sandusky taken the stand? Don't you realize that had he dropped this "bomb" in the news before the jury was sequestered it would have potentially screwed up the entire case?

If this guy is a scumbag, then every single one of the victims who testified is a scumbag for remaining silent all these years, and I don't buy that. And fuck you if you think that.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Hey, dick. Do you have any idea what this guy was going through? Did you even read the article where it said he went to the prosecution and was prepared to testify? That the prosecution was going to use his testimony to refute Sandusky's testimony had Sandusky taken the stand? Don't you realize that had he dropped this "bomb" in the news before the jury was sequestered it would have potentially screwed up the entire case?

If this guy is a scumbag, then every single one of the victims who testified is a scumbag for remaining silent all these years, and I don't buy that. And fuck you if you think that.

I was keeping quiet because I didn't want to recognize his asshole way of thinking, but yeah, this.

Fuck off with scumbag bullshit.

Damn mre. Is that your first serious post ever?

And to be fair, I think he posted before any of the context you mentioned came out. Not that I think it makes him (the adopted son) a bad person even without the context, for the reasons you mentioned. Hell, when the judge said no anonymity I was afraid a number of the witnesses might bail out.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Damn mre. Is that your first serious post ever?

And to be fair, I think he posted before any of the context you mentioned came out. Not that I think it makes him (the adopted son) a bad person even without the context, for the reasons you mentioned. Hell, when the judge said no anonymity I was afraid a number of the witnesses might bail out.

It was all in the article linked before he posted.

Yeah, I read it a little closer now. Does it say exactly when he met with prosecutors in another article? It is possible he approached them after the case-in-chief closed, and he was only available as a rebuttal witness.

I don't know if the wife ever said anything about him on her testimony, so it is possible she didn't open the door.

All just speculation, though.

So I've been reading Sex and Punishment: Four Thousand Years of Judging Desire and I came upon this quote regarding Ancient Athens:

Those allowed to teach boys were required to be older than 40, when their ardor was believed to have diminished. Athletic coaches were trusted least.

And I could not help thinking of this asshole.

No frickin way:

Jerry Sandusky may harbor the angst of most of America, but his supporters are loyal and outspoken.

As the jury continues to deliberate on the 48 counts of child sex-abuse charged against Sandusky, a supporter stood outside the Center County courthouse with a t-shirt that read “Release The Tickle Monster.”

Story here.

awax3vwceaejcuh.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
So I've been reading Sex and Punishment: Four Thousand Years of Judging Desire and I came upon this quote regarding Ancient Athens:

And I could not help thinking of this asshole.

Heh, my studies of Ancient Athens always disturbed me when basically scholars and politicians had boy "apprentices"...you know where I'm going with this.

Yeah, Sandusky is JUST like Forrest Gump. The parallels are uncanny when you think about it. Remember that great scene in the movie when Forrest raped all those kids? So heartwarming.

Heh, my studies of Ancient Athens always disturbed me when basically scholars and politicians had boy "apprentices"...you know where I'm going with this.

Yeah the other disturbing thing was how the boys were supposed to play the older dudes off each other. I just said to myself, "lol what."

So the jury has asked for clarifications on two things so far, one related to McQueary and one related to the janitor, and I believe both are testimonies for the two unidentified victims. I've never served on a jury, but I'm hoping that if they're already focusing on the counts from witness' testimony (the more difficult ones to judge), they probably found him guilty on the counts by the victims. If I was in the jury and some juror had believed the whole conspiracy thing the defense was selling, I wouldn't be able to move on to discuss technicalities.

Seda

@DanWetzel
The jury has reached a verdict on the #Sandusky case. Announcement in 20 minutes

This was about 5 minutes ago.

Cat Party

They announce verdicts outside of regular court hours? 10pm?

For most cases, they would have sent the jury home hours ago. But they let them keep deliberating. So absolutely they will announce the verdict as soon as possible. The jury can't leave until the verdict is read.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
News channel says they deliberated over 21 hours.

Long enough to worry? Or More like long enough to go through the shitload of charges in a steady, deliberate process of saying "Guilty" a bunch?

There he is....just...ugh, I can't look at him

ElRenoRaven

The court is about to convene according to FN. They're about to cut off communications to the press in the court room when they do. Could take at least 20 mins to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom