• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny-Arcade: "Marketers of the Avenger Controller are thieves and liars".

Well, how's this? in a more simple language.

Dude says: Hey, i'm gonna post this on the internet to make you look bad

You say: Go ahead (thinking... heh, he's trying to persuade me acting all cocky about making me infamous in the webz).

Or.... Please don't. I'm sorry, i'm very sorry. Sorry. I was a douchebag.

No, in the heat of an argument anyone would do most likely the same. He didn't really imply: YES, destroy my reputation over the internet. However, he should learn from this and stay low.

No, I wouldn't have. For a number of reasons. If I was Christoforo, and I was doing CUSTOMER FUCKING SERVICE, where the job is to TAKE CARE OF THE CUSTOMER, you don't talk to people like that. Period. If he was some stupid bitch of a teenager then I could give him a pass for thinking that treating a customer that way is okay. But he's not. Christoforo has no excuse, he's a 38 year old man. What he just did COMPLETELY fucked his business. Any person that runs their own business wants to make their customers happy so those customers continue to give them money. In ANY situation where a customer is upset, you want to calm them down, and make the situation right. You don't escalate it by telling the customer to put his "Big boy pants on".

Further, this same fucking clown claims his business is all about social media and the internet. By that fact alone he should understand what kind of heat his actions would bring if his behavior was shown to the right person. Instead he's trying to act like a bitch and go "OH MAN, PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE I DIDN'T KNOW".

C'mon, son.

nyong

Banned
Dude reminds me of Kanye West. All ego, no brains. Like Kanye, once his new reality sets in he'll start begging for forgiveness.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
He does have balls then if he was planning to sneak his booth in the front door.

Lucy-van-pelt-1-.jpg

ZAK

Look at that, he blames Gabe for everything (when he's not talking about "going off a little bit"). Like I said, it'd be better if Gabe had never been involved.

Foothills

Banned
I asked this pages and pages and go but no one responded

Who the hell are you people that are saying Paul shouldn't be harassed talking to?

Who here is harassing Paul?

Why do you keep insisting on shouting "LEAVE HIM ALONE!" when there are no apparent aggressors in this thread? Why do you keep implying like this thread is responsible for some wretched misdeed when there doesn't seem to be a single person advocating the harassment of his family?

Everyone agrees that his family should be left out of this mess, so what the hell are you arguing about?

There is no answer, they're just angry for some reason.

I feel sorry for him as a human being, but I'm over-empathetic by nature. The vitriol with which you speak of him does not match his supposed ills. He's a tit, not the chainsaw murderer of an 9 year old girl. He was horrible at customer service and lost his job for it. Fair. Lying to a Kotaku "journalist" is dickish, not a grave sin.

Basically, I think he has paid aptly for his ridiculous behavior. All this added vigilne backlash saddens me on a humanistic level.

Actually, a lot of the news in this thread revealed he's a tiny bit worse than just being bad at customer service.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Lol, this dude is in a hole so deep he emerges soon in China, yet he still keeps on digging. Why on earth would he give interviews about sneaking in through the loading bay if he wanted?

Cruzader

Banned
Well, how's this? in a more simple language.

Dude says: Hey, i'm gonna post this on the internet to make you look bad

You say: Go ahead (thinking... heh, he's trying to persuade me acting all cocky about making me infamous in the webz).

Or.... Please don't. I'm sorry, i'm very sorry. Sorry. I was a douchebag.

No, in the heat of an argument anyone would do most likely the same. He didn't really imply: YES, destroy my reputation over the internet. However, he should learn from this and stay low.
He would actually encourage people to get him attention as he says negative press is good business for him as to sound like don't give a shit. Well I hope he gets it all(bad press) and loses alot in the process.

No, I wouldn't have. For a number of reasons. If I was Christoforo, and I was doing CUSTOMER FUCKING SERVICE, where the job is to TAKE CARE OF THE CUSTOMER, you don't talk to people like that. Period. If he was some stupid bitch of a teenager then I could give him a pass for thinking that treating a customer that way is okay. But he's not. Christoforo has no excuse, he's a 38 year old man. What he just did COMPLETELY fucked his business. Any person that runs their own business wants to make their customers happy so those customers continue to give them money. In ANY situation where a customer is upset, you want to calm them down, and make the situation right. You don't escalate it by telling the customer to put his "Big boy pants on".

Further, this same fucking clown claims his business is all about social media and the internet. By that fact alone he should understand what kind of heat his actions would bring if his behavior was shown to the right person. Instead he's trying to act like a bitch and go "OH MAN, PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE I DIDN'T KNOW".

C'mon, son.
He's a fool, and most likely an idiot you would not want anywhere near you. Still, this is bad. I believe the tone started changing when he got too comfy to answer like he would to a buddy with the "big hat boy" thing. Then the consumer adds people to the mail and welcomes him to the internet, calling him bitch afterwards.

To quote obi-wan: "The negotiations were short".

He discovered by being fired that bad press is bad. But in fact forwarding the mail they posted publicly to the company would've been enough to get him fired with the premise that otherwise they would post it. That would... have been enough imo. I mean, you're not going into PAX, and you'll lose your job. Connections huh?

Lol, this dude is in a hole so deep he emerges soon in China, yet he still keeps on digging. Why on earth would he give interviews about sneaking in through the loading bay if he wanted?

He sees opportunity knocking and he thinks he's taking full advantage of it. Of course he's only making it worse himself by still not understanding what got him in this mess in the first place. But, this could just be due to him being incredibly unintelligent.

Zomba13

Look at that, he blames Gabe for everything (when he's not talking about "going off a little bit"). Like I said, it'd be better if Gabe had never been involved.

If it wasn't Gabe it'd be Kotaku and if not them then Reddit and if not them then Dave or more likely no one as no one would have noticed unless Dave got sites involved.

scy

If it wasn't Gabe it'd be Kotaku and if not them then Reddit and if not them then Dave or more likely no one as no one would have noticed unless Dave got sites involved.

Yeah, a lot of people keep pointing back to PA since they did take lead here but Dave sent it to basically everywhere (according to him, anyway). Perhaps they would've buried it and we'd never know or maybe we'd be in the same situation now but this would be a Kotaku or reddit topic. Gabe stepped up to the plate first and swung for the fences but he didn't seek this out.

GQman2121

Banned
The press release is a noble attempt to save face, but I’m afraid the damage has been done. And I know this was mentioned a few pages ago, but I also don’t like that N-Control are now trying to play up the “for disabled gamers” angle. What a crock of shit that is. Their marketing campaign was clearly focused (and rightly so as it’s the larger demographic) at the core gamer who plays First Person Shooters. There are 15 industry “reviews” on their website and not once is the word disabled or handicapped mentioned. This transparent press release, shoehorned with more mudslinging at Christoforo, is a shallow attempt by this two-bit company to maintain sales. I say fuck’em. The whole lot.

And lol at those of you getting drawn into a potential debate with Kermit. Those of us in the OT know better……

Cruzader

Banned
Yup, I'm glad a big site (PA) picked it up. Paul did the same shit back in June or so and with am eBay user. Both customers posted the info online but never took off as the info was lost on the net. For PA to put his BS to a huge audience, Paul finally got a taste of justice. Everyone hating on PA are people who generally dislike the owners. I'd back PA before a dick like Paul.

scy

The press release is a noble attempt to save face, but I’m afraid the damage has been done. And I know this was mentioned a few pages ago, but I also don’t like that N-Control are now trying to play up the “for disabled gamers” angle. What a crock of shit that is. Their marketing campaign was clearly focused (and rightly so as it’s the larger demographic) at the core gamer who plays First Person Shooters. There are 15 industry “reviews” on their website and not once is the word disabled or handicapped mentioned. This transparent press release, shoehorned with more mudslinging at Christoforo, is a shallow attempt by this two-bit company to maintain sales. I say fuck’em. The whole lot.

I feel bad about it because in their shoes, I'd have done the same marketing ploy. Mind you, there'd have been some dedication somewhere to the disabled gamers topic, especially since the first publicity of it was about just that, but I don't really blame the for profit part of this latching onto the market sector they chose.

Just ... they should have covered both bases earlier on; switching to it now feels a bit late and reactionary, sure, but it's the right move. I really do hope that the Internet mob, as it's being dubbed, can get together to help undo the damage to the product itself; Paul was an asshat and perhaps N-Control themselves aren't completely good people but the product itself isn't terrible. No reason to lay waste to everything.

Axion22

And lol at those of you getting drawn into a potential debate with Kermit. Those of us in the OT know better……

Yes, worse than bad customer service, this company is ripping off disabled gamers and telling them to put their big boy pants on. It's so cartoon villain, it's right up there with kicking puppies.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I checked out when this thread predictably turned into whiners complaining about harassment that didn't exist, but I popped back into say, uh, WOW at that loading dock comment, this guy gets dumber and dumber and dumber with every chance he's given. Has someone like, directly told him why he sounds like a shithead? Maybe his wife or "friends"? He needs serious help.

Axion22

I checked out when this thread predictably turned into whiners complaining about harassment that didn't exist, but I popped back into say, uh, WOW at that loading dock comment, this guy gets dumber and dumber and dumber with every chance he's given. Has someone like, directly told him why he sounds like a shithead? Maybe his wife or "friends"? He needs serious help.

I think his reality distortion field is impenetrable.

scy

I hear the Mayor of Boston tried contacting him but nothing came from it.

oneHeero

After reading the msnbc and forbes article, I cant really understand wtf this guy is doing. He has to be the dumbest person I've ever come across.

I wish the people interviewing him really played hard ball and called him out on his lies in the damn interview. Saying people took what he said out of context..

All I have to say is I'm the exact opposite of the apologists. As long as it doesn't get violent I couldn't care less if he gets phone calls all hours of the night calling him an asshole. I want this to happen. It's like watching that asshole you always see on TV or hear of from friends finally getting his comeuppance. Even if it's for a fleeting week on the internet.

Fuck this guy, is he taking the heat for being the embodiment of douchebags across the world? Maybe so, and I don't give a fuck because he is a douchebag.

Axion22

All I have to say is I'm the exact opposite of the apologists. As long as it doesn't get violent I couldn't care less if he gets phone calls all hours of the night calling him an asshole. I want this to happen. It's like watching that asshole you always see on TV or hear of from friends finally getting his comeuppance. Even if it's for a fleeting week on the internet.

Fuck this guy, is he taking the heat for being the embodiment of douchebags across the world? Maybe so, and I don't give a fuck because he is a douchebag.

He's getting interviews everywhere, he's mr. popular in his own mind. We're all getting what we want.

Ketch

Holy Crap at the Forbes interview. MAN THIS GUY IS DUMB!

Choice quotes:

Basically, what Mike [Krahulik] did is this: If you were in a bar, drinking and hanging out with a bunch of people, and in that group of people was one guy that you didn’t know was a mixed martial arts champion. He knows he can kick the **** out of anyone in that bar, and you happen to pick a fight with him. He doesn’t tell you what he is, you take a swing at him and the next thing you know you have a broken jaw and you’re on the way to the hospital.

So you picked a fight and got your ass kicked? Good. What did you learn from this? Edit: "Happen to pick a fight with him"? REALLY?... "So I was just hanging out and I happened to pick a fight with a stranger?" WTF

There’s nothing I can do about it, because of what he [Mike Krahulik] did.

ARGHGHGH! NO, you learned that it's not ok to be an asshole to strangers right?

I’m very sorry, and I’m not the person that you may have read in the emails that I sent. You can’t judge a person by what they write – it’s the same thing as if you get a text (…) meant to be a joke, and you take it a certain way because you can’t read emotions with words.

...... So you were just kidding when you picked a fight with a stranger? "Hey stranger I'm gonna kick your ass!... lolz jk"

Alright so Paul's a clueless dumbass jerk face. Well, what does Forbes have to say about the moral of the story"

Whether the moral of that is always to behave as if your communications could be shared with an audience of millions, or to play the percentages and hope to avoid this kind of blow-up through sheer probability is probably a matter for the individual conscience.

NO! Again, the moral of the story is don't be an asshole to strangers. And that's not a matter for individual conscience, it's a matter of you better be nice or maybe you'll get your ass kicked....

I am so happy this asshole is getting his comeuppance. Fuck you Paul, you deserve everything you get.

h2H5N.jpg

forbes and msnbc should stop harassing him. Hasn't he been through enough?

I expect both of these sites to be banned on gaf by the end of the day, or I'm gonna throw such a fit

edit: seriously though, guys, forbes? We have truly fallen down the rabbit hole...

scy

I’ve got buyers all over the world who will buy whatever I sell them. I work with a lot of companies in the UK, Italy, France, Japan, Australia, Canada, the US, Mexico, South America – I have buyers all over the place. And my buyers are going to buy from me.

:|

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

The company made a product that people actually seem to like and want, and their reputation was damaged by one poorly chosen employee going rogue. Emphasizing that the product was invented for disabled kids is basic marketing spin, the kind that is completely standard. I think that they have the right to protect their brand however they need to considering it's not really Kotkin's fault that the product has come under fire, nor is the criticism of the product legitimate. It's only intended to hurt Paul. I hope N-Control manages to recover and move on.

To put it another way, the perhaps disingenuous emphasis on disabled gamers is justified by the situation N-Control have been put in by one shitty employee. They have a right to use marketing spin like everyone else, and even if it's completely false, it doesn't affect the consumer. It's not lying about the function of the product, only its inspiration.

Hex

Banned
All you guys harassing and sending death threats to Paul and his family need to stop right now and let this thing die. You guys are seriously worst than Hitler. All Paul did was have a bad day and then you creepy weirdo perverts go through all his private stuff, hack his accounts and threaten him.

You guys really are the worst and I'm sure that you all should be banned from GAF because of the no detective rule so bye bye.

*looks at the Pony*
*reads*
*looks at the Pony again*
*reads again in Pony voice*

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The Forbes article is a joke. I like how they quote Gabe, but they don't post a SINGLE quote from Christoforo in the e-mail exchange... probably because it's too unintelligible.

I hope Christoforo gets hit 100X harder. I really don't give a flying fuck if there are some that think that makes me a bad person.

At heart, Christoforo clearly feels that he is more sinned against than sinning – and that he was suckered into taking a swing at Mike Krahulik without understanding the consequences. Personally, I suspect that Krahulik simply did not imagine that, in the context, he would not be immediately recognised.

In either case, it is certainly the case that it was terrible luck to be the person whose Internet argument caught the eye of a superfan.

What bullshit. This guy looks like a friend of Christoforo to me. Krahulik explicitly stated, numerous times, that he ran PAX. A simple google search before responding is what any normal person would have done.

Grecco

Well, that's directly related to posting the story in the WWW. So yeah, it's directly related to the public nature of the incident.

You can't say you want pizza without the bread. Something like that. But this would be a moral argument. Is it worth exposing this story and ruining his life for a few douchebag emails? I'm all for the reasoning that he deserves a lesson or two, but knowing the collateral damage and stuff, I would never expose such cases when I KNOW the person will get harrassed over the boundaries of the problem itself.

Basically what you are saying is that the public should not be warned about utterly shit service? It should be kept secret? because the person commiting shit service could be harrased?

$200

Banned
Reading through some of the emails, maybe it's because I don't know these Penny Arcade people and why they are supposed to be "popular", but they seem just as immature as the guy selling the controllers.

Basically what you are saying is that the public should not be warned about utterly shit service? It should be kept secret? because the person commiting shit service could be harrased?

Nah, i'm saying that contacting a higher-up person would have had the same professional (getting fired) and moral impact (you're no one and don't have any "contacts") without involving the internet in the prosecution of a person of something that probably happens in a daily form with thousands of cases.

He just messed with the wrong people, and that's why he must pay for every a-hole you can find in the other way of the line?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
All I want to do is eat his newborn 2-year-old baby. That's all I want.

I haven't been following nearly as close as some here. Did his child really age two years in the past 48 hours?

What bullshit. This guy looks like a friend of Christoforo to me. Krahulik explicitly stated, numerous times, that he ran PAX. A simple google search before responding is what any normal person would have done.

Real wwebsiters use Lycos.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Reading through some of the emails, maybe it's because I don't know these Penny Arcade people and why they are supposed to be "popular", but they seem just as immature as the guy selling the controllers.

I can't even begin to see your logic. It boggles my mind that when you read these e-mails you don't see a major distinction in writing competency, much less maturity. You say you read "some' of the e-mails. Read all of them. Read how it actually progresses. If you still feel that way, well, then you have no idea what either party's role is in this exchange.

KageMaru

Reading the Forbes interview with Paul is a barrel of fun.

Paul, supposedly*, sells thousands of dollars of product and he gives himself the credit for that. Paul makes a series of bad decisions and gets hammered for it. Well that's not his fault, and he is the victim.

This gentleman has a long ways to travel. Many of us do, but overcoming his ego and failure to take responsibility for his actions when the result isn't positive are going to be a long tough road for him to travel.

Linky to interview: http://www.forbes.com/sites/danieln...m-control-to-ko-paul-christoforo-interviewed/

*= Since he has been proven to be a liar (Mayor of Boston), I am going to be skeptical of this claim by default.

Wow, this guy should be condemned to shovel shit for a living. He obviously has learned nothing from this whole fiasco and at this point I doubt he ever will.

What's worse is the interviewer should have caught his bullshit since he kept up on the situation but didn't speak up, SMH.

Well, that's directly related to posting the story in the WWW. So yeah, it's directly related to the public nature of the incident.

You can't say you want pizza without the bread. Something like that. But this would be a moral argument. Is it worth exposing this story and ruining his life for a few douchebag emails? I'm all for the reasoning that he deserves a lesson or two, but knowing the collateral damage and stuff, I would never expose such cases when I KNOW the person will get harrassed over the boundaries of the problem itself.

So by your reasoning, Gabe shouldn't have posted the email since he knew his army of followers would harass Paul even without his consent? If so I can see what you mean, but I still don't agree. Everyone should be held accountable for their own actions and if people wish to take it too far by threatening Paul and his family, they too are taking a risk themselves. No one here at GAF agrees with the threats or harassment to his family, which is what should matter most on this specific topic. Paul though, he's getting everything he deserves IMO.

I'd much rather have people like Gabe who are willing to speak up and make things known than that writer for Forbes who is willing to conduct an interview, but doesn't have the balls to speak up on the bullshit fed to his readers.

Yup, couldn't agree more. The fact that this asshole still has not learned a single lesson indicates that the punishment should continue.

Edit:

Nah, they are just taking advantage of the freedom afforded by their hard earned success IMO. This guy is a douchebag, asshole, con-artist, etc. and deserves to be treated like the piece of trash he is.

Nah, i'm saying that contacting a higher-up person would have had the same professional (getting fired) and moral impact (you're no one and don't have any "contacts") without involving the internet in the prosecution of a person of something that probably happens in a daily form with thousands of cases.

He just messed with the wrong people, and that's why he must pay for every a-hole you can find in the other way of the line?

I'm sorry but I don't see any proof that any moral impact has taken place. The guy is just as clueless and proud as he was before, only now he's spewing out fake apologies because he got caught.

He hasn't learned a thing now, why do you think he would have learned anything if this was kept under wraps and handled behind the scenes?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Show me thousands of cases like this a day. Sounds like you're quoting Christoforo.

Escalating to a higher up doesn't always lead to firing, by the way. The guy deserved to lose his client.

Top Bottom