• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny-Arcade: "Marketers of the Avenger Controller are thieves and liars".

scy

Reading through some of the emails, maybe it's because I don't know these Penny Arcade people and why they are supposed to be "popular", but they seem just as immature as the guy selling the controllers.

I don't blame their way of stepping in. Maybe elaborate more so it's, "Holy shit, if he's using PAX to justify this behavior then I'll make sure he won't have a booth," makes it more obvious than, "holy shit, no PAX for him!"

But, really, jumping in when your name, essentially, is being used as justification for mistreating a paying customer, I feel that's totally fine.

I haven't been following nearly as close as some here. Did his child really age two years in the past 48 hours?

They were hard times, man. The baby has seen things that cannot be unseen.

Escalating to a higher up doesn't always lead to firing, by the way. The guy deserved to lose his client.

There's also this to consider:

1) There is no higher up as far as Ocean Marketing is concerned. He is the higher ups.

2) N-Control was contacted but nothing came from it until after someone hunted down the contact information for David Kotkin himself rather than the company.

ZAK

If it wasn't Gabe it'd be Kotaku and if not them then Reddit and if not them then Dave or more likely no one as no one would have noticed unless Dave got sites involved.
I didn't say sites, I said Gabe. One person, who alone can ostensibly direct an "internet mob." I think that's a messed up situation. Furthermore, it gives the impression that Gabe alone is ultimately behind everyone's actions, which dilutes the message that everyone, everywhere, individually thinks that what this guy did is wrong.

I can't even begin to see your logic. It boggles my mind that when you read these e-mails you don't see a major distinction in writing competency, much less maturity. You say you read "some' of the e-mails. Read all of them. Read how it actually progresses. If you still feel that way, well, then you have no idea what either party's role is in this exchange.

I really don't see how anyone could equate Mike and Paul in any regard. Must require some serious ignorance or mental gymnastics.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I don't blame their way of stepping in. Maybe elaborate more so it's, "Holy shit, if he's using PAX to justify this behavior then I'll make sure he won't have a booth," makes it more obvious than, "holy shit, no PAX for him!"

But, really, jumping in when your name, essentially, is being used as justification for mistreating a paying customer, I feel that's totally fine.

Good point. People are so blind to this. Christoforo named his show first, and used it as ammunition in an e-mail berating a customer and a reader of his webcomic.

Grecco

Nah, i'm saying that contacting a higher-up person would have had the same professional (getting fired) and moral impact (you're no one and don't have any "contacts") without involving the internet in the prosecution of a person of something that probably happens in a daily form with thousands of cases.

He just messed with the wrong people, and that's why he must pay for every a-hole you can find in the other way of the line?

You have no way of knowing that for a fact. This isnt the first or seccond time that this guy has treated his customers like shit and the company still kept him on customer service. Had this guy just complained to a "higherup" person its quite possible that the status quo would have been kept, and its obvious that Paul wouldnt have learned from his actions. Because even with Gabe from PA publicizing this guys shit he still is obviously not giving a rats ass.

Reading through some of the emails, maybe it's because I don't know these Penny Arcade people and why they are supposed to be "popular", but they seem just as immature as the guy selling the controllers.
Paul is immature to customers in customer service situations. PA isn't immature to customers in customer service situations.

Nah, i'm saying that contacting a higher-up person would have had the same professional (getting fired) and moral impact (you're no one and don't have any "contacts") without involving the internet in the prosecution of a person of something that probably happens in a daily form with thousands of cases.

He just messed with the wrong people, and that's why he must pay for every a-hole you can find in the other way of the line?
Could you start a new thread about how terrible PA is instead of derailing this one? You're relating PA to this topic, but you want to focus on how PA is terrible. I don't see how saying PA and Paul are both equally terrible is helping this discussion.

Axion22

You have no way of knowing that for a fact. This isnt the first or seccond time that this guy has treated his customers like shit and the company still kept him on customer service. Had this guy just complained to a "higherup" person its quite possible that the status quo would have been kept, and its obvious that Paul wouldnt have learned from his actions. Because even with Gabe from PA publicizing this guys shit he still is obviously not giving a rats ass.

Not only that... Paul answers emails as Brandon.

Jobiensis

You know, I can see his point. I really fucking hate it when I pick a fight with a stranger and they end up kicking my ass. That is so unfair.

Oh man, he thinks about legal action against PA, then turns around and throws out specific accusations about his ex-girlfriend and Brandon.

Since N-Control already knew how he acted, it's pretty clear nothing would have happened. The only reason Paul was fired was because this went viral.

I really don't see N-Control as being innocent in any of this.

As I said before. You contact his client, N-Control. Provide the e-mail proof then proceed to tell them that they either make something about it or they're going to have to post it because it's a clear abuse for a consumer that was simply asking for his order.

It sounds menacing, but it would've saved some improper humilliation that i've read in some comments (not here). And at least it wouldn't have been bad press for N-Control, because some people still don't see that they are not exactly related except for marketing purpouses.

Could you start a new thread about how terrible PA is instead of derailing this one? You're relating PA to this topic, but you want to focus on how PA is terrible. I don't see how saying PA and Paul are both equally terrible is helping this discussion.

My only concern with PA was a testimony I read here about adventures and how he felt scammed somewhat. The other "kind" of problem is that they totally could see this happening. And it could've been even worse, probably. I don't even read the webcomic neither have a problem with them at all.

mik83kuu

Banned
In the old days soldiers filled their blunderbuses with rocks, broken glass and w/e they could find, if they ran out of ammo. This is exactly what the apologists are doing right now and it's damn entertaining :)

Reading the Forbes interview with Paul is a barrel of fun.

Linky to interview: http://www.forbes.com/sites/danieln...m-control-to-ko-paul-christoforo-interviewed/

Paul Christoforo said:
One thing that I do want to say is the N-Control doesn’t deserve what happened to them because of what happened to me. David Kotkin is an incredible guy. He’s a schoolteacher that took a year off to build his company, and try to make this thing a success. (…) His company doesn’t deserve any of the backlash or this trouble.
Holy shit, Paul said one good thing.

Jobiensis

As I said before. You contact his client, N-Control. Provide the e-mail proof then proceed to tell them that they either make something about it or they're going to have to post it because it's a clear abuse for a consumer that was simply asking for his order.

Are you completely ignoring the fact N-Control knew this guy was 'rough' and didn't give a crap about it?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

It sounds menacing, but it would've saved some improper humilliation that i've read in some comments (not here). And at least it wouldn't have been bad press for N-Control, because some people still don't see that they are not exactly related except for marketing purpouses.

I like how you conveniently ignore the fact that this was escalated before and nothing resulted from it.

scy

My understanding is that they were contacted and there was no response (since Paul was their listed contact as well, I believe); it took someone to hunt down David Kotkin's contact information for there to be a non-Paul controlled response.

And, of course, the prior incidents. There's that too.

KageMaru

Exactly, he was even warned about it going up on the site and didn't back down.

There's also this to consider:

1) There is no higher up as far as Ocean Marketing is concerned. He is the higher ups.

2) N-Control was contacted but nothing came from it until after someone hunted down the contact information for David Kotkin himself rather than the company.

Yup, now other clients can find out how he really is and act accordingly if they wish.

$200

Banned
I can't even begin to see your logic. It boggles my mind that when you read these e-mails you don't see a major distinction in writing competency, much less maturity. You say you read "some' of the e-mails. Read all of them. Read how it actually progresses. If you still feel that way, well, then you have no idea what either party's role is in this exchange.
First of all as a non-English speaker myself I don't judge people by their writing competency.

Correct me if I got it wrong: it started with this guy's package not being delivered on time and the seller being a bit douchy telling the buyer to "deal with it". That part I agree is the seller's fault. However, the buyer went from there and wrote that long email that ended with
p.s. You look really douchy be having one youtube video complaining about the noise of traffic next to your home and then another video showing off your obnoxiously loud rice rocket (which is nice, I gotta hand it ya).

p.p.s. Welcome to the internet, bitch. That’s how I roll.
which was what pissed the seller off and consequently stirred up all the shits. Am I missing something?

My only concern with PA was a testimony I read here about adventures and how he felt scammed somewhat.
A game sequel was delayed then canceled. Apologies sent and orders refunded.
The other "kind" of problem is that they totally could see this happening. And it could've been even worse, probably.
PA puts things in blogs when they're notified of something. You put things in forum posts when you're notified of something. You know that it will cause arguments in the thread. Why didn't you go to a higher up and email Robert Khoo of Mike's actions?

My understanding is that they were contacted and there was no response (since Paul was their listed contact as well, I believe); it took someone to hunt down David Kotkin's contact information for there to be a non-Paul controlled response.

And, of course, the prior incidents. There's that too.

But it could be done. I mean, it probably was easier than going steroids hunting and stuff. Probably easy as checking his youtube account. Stuff that nowadays takes a few clicks away. If N-Control were contacted with proof before and nothing happened, well... maybe they are good friends, who knows. But yeah, then it needed to go viral, with a proper warning for N-Control though.

First of all as a non-English speaker myself I don't judge people by their writing competency.

Correct me if I got it wrong: it started with this guy's package not being delivered on time and the seller being a bit douchy telling the buyer to "deal with it". That part I agree is the seller's fault. However, the buyer went from there and wrote that long email that ended with

which was what pissed the seller off and consequently stirred up all the shits. Am I missing something?

The Forbes article said it best:

Customers can start bar-room brawls. Bartenders shouldn’t.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I can understand why a non-native English speaker might not grasp all of the nuances of the exchange. Paul was curt, dismissive, unapologetic, and vague from the very beginning. This is simply NOT how you handle customer service. Now, that's not a huge deal. Bad customer service happens.

But then the customer gets a little more defensive when he e-mails speaking to the fact that he could cancel his pre-orders and re-order them. This is where Paul was completely out of line. And he was completely out of line first. Condescending, insulting, and dismissive. Dave got snarky back and made a ton of completely legitimate points, and ended with the "p.s." that you included. Those "p.s." were a little out of line, but they in NO way garnered the response from Paul whatsoever. There is simply no justification.

By the way, Dave, the customer, is not affiliated with Penny-Arcade. Gabe, or Mike Krahulik, is. He's included later in the conversation.

It's not just that this guy's package wasn't delivered on time. He fully paid for this product already and he was NOT getting answers to his questions. He was frustrated. I would be too.

One confusing thing about the formatting is that Game(Mike) puts little italicized comments at the end of some emails then notes that he wrote that comment with a "-Gabe". This can confuse readers into thinking Gabe wrote a lot of the e-mails.

One thing that gets me in Paul's interviews is how he paraphrases his exchanges with Gabe:

So, I had an e-mail come in, and the e-mail was like “That's fucked up shit, you're banned from PAX.” I didn't know who he was when he sent me that. So, of course, I send an e-mail right back, and I'm like “Who the fuck are you? What do you mean I'm banned from PAX?”

To: Dave, Ocean Marketing
Dec 26, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Holy shit this is unbelievable. Dave, if this guy has a booth at Pax east we will cancel it.

To: Mike Krahulik
Dec 26, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Hey Mikey,

We’re not renting a booth at pax east this year , bigger and better shows to be at we got nothing from the show . Oh so you know this guy has sold over 500 thousand dollars of product in Dec and is my main distribution arm landing us in GameStop , fry’s , Myers , Best buy , Activision , MLG , play N trade and a lot more . Were in 6 countries and you’re not going to take my money for a booth that’s a crock I can guarantee I’ll get a booth if I want one money buys a lot and connections go even further. He’s a native Bostonian from Little Italy . Who are you again ?

I mean... the way he's describing it is basically accurate, but everything he says is just so saturated with aggression. He can't even describe anything without it sounding like a bar fight.

Axion22

But it could be done. I mean, it probably was easier than going steroids hunting and stuff. Probably easy as checking his youtube account. Stuff that nowadays takes a few clicks away. If N-Control were contacted with proof before and nothing happened, well... maybe they are good friends, who knows. But yeah, then it needed to go viral, with a proper warning for N-Control though.

Kotaku did that.... after he replied to them as the director of marketing using his own hotmail account. That's neither PA or the original buyer. Familiarize yourself with the subject matter already.

I can understand why a non-native English speaker might not grasp all of the nuances of the exchange. Paul was curt, dismissive, unapologetic, and vague from the very beginning. This is simply NOT how you handle customer service. Now, that's not a huge deal. Bad customer service happens.

But then the customer gets a little more defensive when he e-mails speaking to the fact that he could cancel his pre-orders and re-order them. This is where Paul was completely out of line. And he was completely out of line first. Condescending, insulting, and dismissive. Dave got snarky back and made a ton of completely legitimate points, and ended with the "p.s." that you included. Those "p.s." were a little out of line, but they in NO way garnered the response from Paul whatsoever. There is simply no justification.

By the way, Dave, the customer, is not affiliated with Penny-Arcade. Gabe, or Mike Krahulik, is. He's included later in the conversation.

It's not just that this guy's package wasn't delivered on time. He fully paid for this product already and he was NOT getting answers to his questions. He was frustrated. I would be too.
Not to mention the whole horseshit of him saying he hope he does cancel his order so he can sell them for $150 on ebay. The PS from Dave was douche but Paul was acting like an ass in the email before that and totally shrugging off that new customers got $10 off and he wasn't allowed to and would literally cancel his new order if he canceled and reordered with the $10 coupon.

what's the harm that comes from a customer service guy get tarred and feathered all over the internet for being incredibly bad at his job, mean, and a proven liar?

i mean, i can see that being a massive disincentive for people in similar positions to him from acting the same way, and if someone was going to be made an example of, why not this guy?

'it didn't need to go to the press'. sure. but maybe Paul should have thought of that when he threw out his 'what are you going to do about it?' attitude.

GQman2121

Banned
You know, I can see his point. I really fucking hate it when I pick a fight with a stranger and they end up kicking my ass. That is so unfair.

Oh man, he thinks about legal action against PA, then turns around and throws out specific accusations about his ex-girlfriend and Brandon.

Since N-Control already knew how he acted, it's pretty clear nothing would have happened. The only reason Paul was fired was because this went viral.

I really don't see N-Control as being innocent in any of this.
Yep. And that is why they get no sympathy from me for their role in this situation. The "throw Paul under the bus and lite him on fire" quote means little to nothing me in regards to them as a company. I understand why they're doing it, just the same as I understand their reasoning for attempting to re-position their product for disabled gamers. However, they don't deserve a free pass here.

N-control is clearly a small business which is why Paul was on such an island to operate and represent their company and product so directly. Paul is clearly too thickheaded to learn anything from this experience, but I can guarantee you David Kotkin and his business partners are realizing that shit can get real, real fast when you fuck with peoples money - which is exactly what they have been doing. There's also the fake accounts on Amazon giving their product rave reviews and shitting on their competitors.

Like I said on the last page, fuck all of these guys associated with this product.

scy

The search that led to the steroids was Googling his email address. That he provided when he tried to masquerade as someone else and silence the issue. Finding his YouTube account is slightly easier if only because there was no Google search for it since he provided it through his Twitter and Facebook pages (the marketing ones, not his personal ones ... though he treated all of these as both personal and business).

And, again, the steroids search was done when Paul responded pretending to be the N-Control contact that came before him. The E-Mail said Brandon Leidel but came from Paul's listed one (again, publicly available and used in his prior contacts anyway) so they Googled it. Ironically, the steroids topic connection now is buried due to the amount of content spreading that address but, at the time, it was one of the first few hits if I recall. Not exactly internet sleuthing.

what's the harm that comes from a customer service guy get tarred and feathered all over the internet for being incredibly bad at his job, mean, and a proven liar?

i mean, i can see that being a massive disincentive for people in similar positions to him from acting the same way, and if someone was going to be made an example of, why not this guy?

'it didn't need to go to the press'. sure. but maybe Paul should have thought of that when he threw out his 'what are you going to do about it?' attitude.

It's also hard to feel sympathy when he literally could have avoided 99% of this if he came out and apologized and said he was sorry for what he did and maybe tried to expedite Dave's order as a sign of good will. Instead he ignored it and still claims he did nothing wrong.

mbmonk

Holy Crap at the Forbes interview. MAN THIS GUY IS DUMB!
So you picked a fight and got your ass kicked? Good. What did you learn from this? Edit: "Happen to pick a fight with him"? REALLY?... "So I was just hanging out and I happened to pick a fight with a stranger?" WTF

ARGHGHGH! NO, you learned that it's not ok to be an asshole to strangers right?

...... So you were just kidding when you picked a fight with a stranger? "Hey stranger I'm gonna kick your ass!... lolz jk"

Alright so Paul's a clueless dumbass jerk face. Well, what does Forbes have to say about the moral of the story"

NO! Again, the moral of the story is don't be an asshole to strangers. And that's not a matter for individual conscience, it's a matter of you better be nice or maybe you'll get your ass kicked....

In the book "Unleash the Warrior Within" an ex Navy Seal makes this specific point:
Treat everyone with dignity and respect, because the file clerk often can get things done just as well as an officer.

Don't crap on stranger for your own benefit. And that doesn't even broach the general advice of Karma/Golden Rule/"What comes around goes around".

Regardless, the Jerry Springer-esque "Parting Thoughts" paragraph from the Forbes article is very strange and seems more like tap dance around the basic morale lesson here, but if people are familiar with the details of the story the lesson will be as clear as day anyways.

It's also hard to feel sympathy when he literally could have avoided 99% of this if he came out and apologized and said he was sorry for what he did and maybe tried to expedite Dave's order as a sign of good will. Instead he ignored it and still claims he did nothing wrong.

and lets not forget when he pretended to be someone else and told Kotaku that it wasn't really that big a deal and how that Paul guy is actually super nice.

mbmonk

That was one of my favorite parts from the interview.

Also I love how he makes the analogy about getting beat up by a MMA style fighter after he was "suckered" into throwing a punch at said MMA fighter ( Of course he is the victim here ). Then he gets his ass kicked and now he is looking at calling the cops ( aka might sue PA ) even though he started the assault. I think the analogy breaks down a bit at the end but you get the point.

Also he tries to say he was joking. How can you even try to play that card at this point. His responses are complete nonsense at this point. So Paul threw a 'joke' punch at the MMA fighter now? I should really let that analogy die :)

This guy is amazing :p

That was one of my favorite parts from the interview.

Also I love how he makes the analogy about getting beat up by a MMA style fighter after he was "suckered" into throwing a punch at said MMA fighter. He gets his ass kicked and now he is looking at calling the cops ( aka might sue PA ) even though he started the assault. I think the analogy breaks down a bit at the end but you get the point.

Also he tries to say he was joking. How can you even try to play that card at this point. His responses are complete nonsense at this point. So Paul threw a 'joke' punch as the MMA fighter now?

Wow is correct.

another thing i like is how he's used the whole 'you can't tell tone on the internet' thing to defend his comments, and continues to assert that the guy he responded to got 'snippey' with him in an email, when most everyone else reads it differently.

he should sue PA. i'm sure this case gaining even more publicity won't make things even worse for him, and i'm not talking about the internet harassment, i'm talking about his reputation and the rest of it.

One thing that gets me in Paul's interviews is how he paraphrases his exchanges with Gabe:

I mean... the way he's describing it is basically accurate, but everything he says is just so saturated with aggression. He can't even describe anything without it sounding like a bar fight.

I never noticed this exchange. Is this Paul talking about himself as if he's someone else?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I didn't say sites, I said Gabe. One person, who alone can ostensibly direct an "internet mob." I think that's a messed up situation. Furthermore, it gives the impression that Gabe alone is ultimately behind everyone's actions, which dilutes the message that everyone, everywhere, individually thinks that what this guy did is wrong.
No he can't. Gabe can't make anyone do something they're not comfortable with. It's just that, as a rule, nerds hate bullies. All Gabe has to do is make people aware of the bullying.

edit: nvm, I think you're making that same point.

KageMaru

and lets not forget when he pretended to be someone else and told Kotaku that it wasn't really that big a deal and how that Paul guy is actually super nice.

I can't even begin to comprehend how someone can do this and think their actions wasn't a big deal or they are the victim.

ruxtpin

Banned
another thing i like is how he's used the whole 'you can't tell tone on the internet' thing to defend his comments, and continues to assert that the guy he responded to got 'snippey' with him in an email, when most everyone else reads it differently.

he should sue PA. i'm sure this case gaining even more publicity won't make things even worse for him, and i'm not talking about the internet harassment, i'm talking about his reputation and the rest of it.

How does he even have anything for a court case? PA just presented facts. Literally, they just made emails public. And tried to tell him that they ran PAX.

How does he even have anything for a court case? PA just presented facts. Literally, they just made emails public. And tried to tell him that they ran PAX.

i don't think he does. i was just encouraging him to sue because even if through some complete miracle he won the case, it would be a pyrrhic victory. Paul cannot do anything to help his reputation by suing Penny Arcade... so i'd love to see him try.

but not i have to admit that my encouragement was disingenuous.

Honestly, after that Forbes interview I have to assume anyone still trying to wag a finger at those criticizing/bashing Paul either doesn't have all of the information that's out there or is projecting personal issues onto the thread. There are a couple of people that are just weirdly invested in shutting this whole thing down...here, specifically, on gaf, despite a total lack of harmful behavior on anyone's part.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Honestly, after that Forbes interview I have to assume anyone still trying to wag a finger at those criticizing/bashing Paul either doesn't have all of the information that's out there or is projecting personal issues onto the thread. There are a couple of people that are just weirdly invested in shutting this whole thing down...here, specifically, on gaf, despite a total lack of harmful behavior on anyone's part.

Honestly, I'm more interested in these people than this Paul issue

Top Bottom