• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People into Achievements or Trophies; why?

jcorb

Actual question! I'm not being facetious or anything. I'm genuinely curious.

When Achievements were first introduced, I remember really enjoying them in certain games. If it's a game I was already enjoying, I loved the achievements that required really wonky challenges.

But over time, it felt like they just became this thing that was mandatory to include, and given HOW MANY Achievement points some players have, there's obviously no "competing" at this point. I wouldn't imagine things fair much better on the Playstation side of things, as I don't even think every game included a Platinum trophy for a long time, right?

So, at least for me, they've become something I pay zero attention to, other than perhaps as a checklist of "things I haven't done yet".

But what about you guys that DO still care about them?

Do you feel compelled to complete every achievement/trophy for EVERY game you play? Or just those you really enjoy?

Do you feel like that number of points or trophies has a special meaning to you? Or do you really not pay attention to it?

Just very curious where you guys stand!

mitch1971

Gold Member
It's been talked to death...

One example...

It all ends with the same talking points.

Last edited:

Fess

It’s about being a completionist.
I have 39 out of 42 achievements on Elden Ring. The missing 3 are annoying!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nope. Turned off achievement notification boxes. Only time I cared about it was maybe the first half year I had a 360 way back.

Never cared unless it is a game I really enjoy, then I try to get some achievements. But if it is anything that is a bother then I don't go out of my way to get it. There are trophies that are just busywork and make you enjoy some games less than you used to.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Really varies per game. Most games I don't care about it. If it's a game I truly love, then it's fun to try and max it out since it just gives me more to do and I'm having fun with it. If it's a psycho achievement, I usually just move on as the time investment isn't worth it when I could be playing something else.

violence

The last platinum I got was in 2010. Now I turn off trophy notifications and don’t pay attention to it. I really don’t think it’s much of a thing anymore.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Depends on the type of achievements. I'm a completionist for the most part, but I draw a line with some of the absurd ones. Stanley Parable for example. "Committed" where you play the entire duration of a Tuesday... why? PC side you can circumvent this with local time changes to your computer, but it's a stupid achievement.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Sense of being acknowledged for doing something rare like say finishing Dishonored on pacifist, no detection, or beating a game on the hardest difficulty. Not all achievements are great to do, but some are nice to get.

Last edited:

MikeM

Gold Member
I like them as milestone markers and a notice that you have done something of note. Plus if i’m really into a game, it gives me a list of things to do to keep me engaged in whatever im doing once im done the main game.

Getting a platinum trophy is satisfying though.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Like all optional challenges in a game, its an added extra thing to hunt for.
The chapter complete achievements ive always kinda hated, cuz they would always popup during a cutscene and take me out of it.

I also like games that just straight up hide achievements and you kinda just mess around int he game and randomly unlock stuff.

I like the jingles

Just reading the word achievement has the OG X360 achievement unlocked sound play in my head.

Fahdis

People not into Achievements or Trophies, why? It's literally optional, something you can do if you want. Heck, I usually do them on a second or third playthrough if I love the game. I really enjoy them.

Bond007

Was cool at first.
I actually thought it could be cashed in for prizes/games in the store.

Enjoyed hunting them in the 360/PS3 era. Ultimately, so many became difficult or a way to make you grind longer within the game rather than maybe encouraging additional exploring or replaying a game. Just my thoughts on it. I no longer chase them game- nor do i have that same amount of time i had in that era.
I still enjoy going after some when im having fun with a particular game and need something else to chase in a fun matter. Insomniac seems to do them in a fun manner for me and not overly annoying.

Jesb

I don’t. Think it was a wasted opportunity to not have a real reward system. I wouldn’t care if they removed them.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Jeez, it's like Bloodborne monthly port rumor thread.

If you really care what people think about it, go check the trophy thread. Folks genuinely find it meaningful and satisfying when best some challenges.

LakeOf9

I think they are a cool way of keeping a record of the games I played, when I played them, where I played them, and how I played them. I don't obsess very hunt for Trophies or Achievements, but I do like them and want platforms that do not include them - mostly EGS and Nintendo - to add them.

I only somewhat care, only have about 12 platinums. But it does make playing games on Switch feel weird, especially if it's a 3rd party game that has rewards on ps/xbox/steam, etc.

Mr Hyde

Used to hunt platinums like crazy a couple of years ago but now I only platinum games I really like and play lots of. They are fun to do but it needs to be kept at a modest level, otherwise burn out is possible and you get nothing but frustration out of it.

It can be a list of fun or interesting challenges, depending on the game and how the developer chooses what will be recognized. This is often implemented poorly.

Most seem to cater to the lowest common denominator that use it as a progress meter, and I can see the point (it's data they can reference to help see how people interact with their game) but it does encourage people to just "play for the achievements" trying to increase a meaningless score. Other games tie achievements to ridiculously niche things, or worse, online-only achievements that only some people can do at all (like how the original Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter had achievements for being in the top x% of multiplayer rankings). While those can be interesting challenges, it alienates players who get into the game later or don't want to interface with those areas of the game. Horrible for a preservation standpoint.

Then there are games that use achievements to enhance the game itself. My favorites are the ones from Demons Souls which encourage you to complete a segment or boss battle in a way you wouldn't normally attempt or think is possible. Having an achievement notes that yes, it is possible, and suggests you do something you may never normally encounter during your playthrough. Similarly, an achievement can also let you know that you aren't finished with the game yet. Some players might play a large open world game and miss entire sections of content, or they may play a game with multiple different paths - achievements can alert them there is more to be experienced, perhaps they should replay a section again.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I think they are a cool way of keeping a record of the games I played, when I played them, where I played them, and how I played them. I don't obsess very hunt for Trophies or Achievements, but I do like them and want platforms that do not include them - mostly EGS and Nintendo - to add them.

This

CherryFalls

Banned
They like them because they've been emotionally manipulated into psychologically craving them (theyll never admit this is the reason though)

Little Mac

Gold Member
im weird jon lovitz GIF

If I really like a game I will honor it by going for the platinum.

Depends if I love the game or not. If I truly love the game, then the cheevo's/trophies is me wanting to 100% it. Fully complete it.

Anything less than love, I don't give a fuck about them. !00%ing a mid or dogshit game just means you don't value your own time.

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

I've come to appreciate the data they provide like what % of players complete the game, when they drop off, etc. They're sometimes used by the devs to communicate things they consider important; like using a particular ammo type or alternative ways to complete a mission. Never felt the need to complete extra things for the sake of a trophy and never platinumed a game actually but still find them interesting for games I like.

I cared about them during the ps4 era because Bloodborne (and other games too?) had a platinum trophy theme for the home ps4 menu. The only other time I cared was when I 100% Sekiro and saw that it was something only 0.2% of players had done at the time; it was a cool stat to see.

I didn't miss trophies at all playing Shadow of the Erdtree. They're not necessary.

Griffon

I disabled the notifications and forgot those ever existed. Perfect.

I play games because I enjoy the experience intrinsically, not for some participation stickers.

Filben

I like the sound of it (on PlayStation) and how they look is one reason. Another one is to mess around with a game and explore it just a little more than I'd do otherwise. Sometimes it's also cool do something funny, out of the box or otherwise non-conventional and see this being acknowledged by the devs and the game.

I'd never play a game soley for its trophies nor would force myself to 100% a game if it's not for the game.

SHA

The best thing that happened in gaming is when you get lost in a big beautiful city and don't give a fuck about trophies, I'm sorry but double checking has never been a genuine feeling to me, I prefer the alternative way, when you came along way and face a big wall that makes you step back to do what you've missed.

Hohenheim

I've never cared about that stuff, and turn notifications off. It breaks the immersion for me when there's a achivement pop-up in a game. Just annoying.

xrnzaaas

I find it funny how some people take a big dump on trophy hunting, while "wasting time" on achieving high scores in the arcade in the past was considered normal. They're both about proving if you can achieve some goals in a video game. The only question is whether you do this for your own personal satisaction, or do you need to brag about it in front of others.

Duchess

They're fun for go for, but one shouldn't play games just for them.

As far as I'm concerned trophies and achievements are personal things; you should earn them for yourself, and not to get a few rungs higher on some internet ladder.

Bry0

I don’t really care about them anymore. If I really like a game and there is an achievement for beating it in the hardest difficulty sometimes that an extra motivator to go for it, but generally I stopped caring after the ps4/one came out,

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Some people like being rewarded for their efforts. Some people also like extra challenges. It's the game within the game. No big mystery, really.

For me personally it’s something extra to do.

But more important it shows a history of the games I played, when I played, and what I did in them. That is what I like the most about achievements and trophies.

I liked them more when they were new but I burned out pretty quick on them. Starts to become a chore when you're doing multiple playthroughs just to "clean up" missing trophies.

Roberts

I wouldn't say I don't care about them, but I bother with 1000/1000 only if I see that I'm close and put some effort to do the last two or three achievements. I've only completed 50 games that way and most of them are indies with unmissable achievements. That said, the rare achievement sound on xbox never gets old.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I used to enjoy them because they game me just that little nudge to keep going if I was feeling stuck or bored or whatever in the middle of a game. The idea of getting a recorded achievement that showed I completed the game was just enough to push through at times, where without it might've just moved on (and oftentimes would've regretted doing so).

With that said, I no longer care about them. Instead I keep a little log of games I've completed, with the date/platform I completed them on, and a score. Just another fun way to keep track of the games I've finished, and it has a similar effect that achievements did in years past.

Last edited:
Top Bottom