• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People into Achievements or Trophies; why?

AmuroChan

But what about you guys that DO still care about them?

Do you feel compelled to complete every achievement/trophy for EVERY game you play? Or just those you really enjoy?

Do you feel like that number of points or trophies has a special meaning to you? Or do you really not pay attention to it?

Just very curious where you guys stand!

OP specifically asks people who do care about trophies/achievements why they like them. A bunch of people who don't care about trophies/achievements respond....

For me, I like the metagame. It's also a nice milestone tracker. I like going to a site like PSNProfiles which tracks all the games I've played as well as a variety of trophy metrics.

Muffdraul

I pretty much ignore them completely, never cared. There are a few games where I somehow managed to platinum/100% them without even trying, but I assume they're all very easy to do that. OG Dead Space, Assassin's Creed II, Horizon Zero Dawn...

Leviathicus

It's just one more way to enjoy games:

You have people who play just to finish the main story, other likes to play competitive mode and go for the highest possible rank and you also have people like me that enjoy getting trophies.

Larxia

I used to care more about them in the past, but not anymore. I still try to do them in the few games that really matter to me, but the problem I find with achievements is that they often are badly designed, asking for multiple playthroughs and leading to very tedious and frustrating ways of playing games. They can make you end up hating a game that you originally loved. For that I think they do more harm than good.

The idea is cool, the execution is most of the time bad.

Quasicat

A buddy of mine really cared about his gamerscore to where he brought it up all of time when we played online. Another friend got sick of it and bought all of these easy achievement games and passed him in like two months. Now all he talks about is how achievements are stupid. 😂

Hrk69

Gold Member
E-penis baby

Nothing gets me more hard than pulling out the "I've platinumed the game" card.

Gives me more authority when I drop my opinion about a game.

Achievement hunters all do it. We can't help ourselves.

Corian33

I think they’re fine. Don’t care about the boring ones, love the creative ones. I think Valve makes some of the best. Like in TF2 they gave you some really interesting feats to pull off. I rarely try to get 100% on any game.

Hari Seldon

Being a non-addicted gamer is actually amazing. Don’t care about achievements, battle passes, skins, and I don’t get addicted to f2p shenanigans so I just play them for free and let the whales fund my gaming.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Being a non-addicted gamer is actually amazing. Don’t care about achievements, battle passes, skins, and I don’t get addicted to f2p shenanigans so I just play them for free and let the whales fund my gaming.
Same with me.

The last time I bought mtx/DLC was a MW3 (2011) map pack. The only time I bought stuff were some COD map packs back in the day. Never bought any other mtx/DLC, dashboard themes, passes, MMO subscription, etc.... I've played F2P games and paid zero too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom