• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 3 |OT| The Numbers Keep Coming – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of NTGYK love of the show and finally catching an episode on TV I decided I'd give it a try. Ten episodes in and I absolutely love it.

Reese is motherfucking Bruce Wayne without a costume. And so far at least no gadgets that don't make sense. Nor a creepy obsession with children.

It's like Batman if Batman was awesome!

I'd totally be a Batman villain.

Thanks NTGYK!

I really wish we'd gotten more Linda Cardellini. Got a massive crush.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Just started watching this show about a month ago and I'm already at the beginning of S3. I loved the first season, but the person/case of the week formula is getting a bit trite IMO, so I have to ask, does it ever change?

Sober

Just started watching this show about a month ago and I'm already at the beginning of S3. I loved the first season, but the person/case of the week formula is getting a bit trite IMO, so I have to ask, does it ever change?
Format is still the same, but they use the numbers of the week format to use to blow out the plot rather than doing the Burn Notice thing of bookending the episodes and having the case be ultimately unimportant.

ZenaxPure

Format is still the same, but they use the numbers of the week format to use to blow out the plot rather than doing the Burn Notice thing of bookending the episodes and having the case be ultimately unimportant.

Basically this, there is only 3 or 4 episodes the entire season so far (and I doubt that will change given there are only 2 left) where the person of the week had nothing to do with an ongoing story (or a new story which a few start up this season).

For me it's what has lifted the show from something I really enjoyed to without a doubt my favorite show on tv right now. I've honestly never seen anything like this in a show where they manage to keep a procedural like format and yet have the case of the week tie in to a main story almost every time. I dunno how they managed to pull it off.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Leaving the numbers behind would leave the team's objective behind, which would be counter-intuitive for the story.

Sober

Well, for the standalone episodes, they are still fun and manage to do something new, or up the danger ante enough to not feel like there was no point to it. You can naturally assume that inbetween all the BIG SHIT going down they are just busting drug dealers or spiteful CEOs in under 4 hours or something. (which they also kinda show at times for the hell of it because why not, it's fun to see).

Rokam

Season 3 has been absolutely glorious. Consider yourself lucky that you get to plow through the season back to back.

ZenaxPure

Well, for the standalone episodes, they are still fun and manage to do something new, or up the danger ante enough to not feel like there was no point to it. You can naturally assume that inbetween all the BIG SHIT going down they are just busting drug dealers or spiteful CEOs in under 4 hours or something. (which they also kinda show at times for the hell of it because why not, it's fun to see).

I seem to recall some people being pretty meh towards the 911 episode a while back :p

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Well the 911 episode was great. If that had been Season 1 or 2 it would be a favorite. The thing is when you compare an amazing episode to a good episode, rather than good to good, you're obviously going to get meh reactions.

Which is a good thing to say about PoI too! It has episodes that are so good that the normal ones just don't cut it anymore!

ZenaxPure

Well the 911 episode was great. If that had been Season 1 or 2 it would be a favorite. The thing is when you compare an amazing episode to a good episode, rather than good to good, you're obviously going to get meh reactions.

Which is a good thing to say about PoI too! It has episodes that are so good that the normal ones just don't cut it anymore!

That's kind of something that I've been wondering about for a few weeks now actually, is season 4 actually going to be able to keep the momentum s3 built or is it going to dial it down a bit similar to s1 and 2?

I'm not trying to be all negative or anything, but, shit man they have a lot of live up to after this season, because your right, the 911 episode quality-wise feels like something from s1/2 so it says something when people aren't so hot on it after how much of a step up the rest of the season has been.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oh cool it's the actress from true blood / the good wife, I love her o/

Edit: Amy! I thought you guys said she was only in season 3! I guess you meant as a regular

ZenaxPure

Edit: Amy! I thought you guys said she was only in season 3! I guess you meant as a regular

Nah, if you go back and read I specifically said she doesn't become a regular until s3 :p

Didn't really want to mention the specifics of when she first shows up, cause it's a great episode.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Nah, if you go back and read I specifically said she doesn't become a regular until s3 :p

Didn't really want to mention the specifics of when she first shows up, cause it's a great episode.

Ah, well, watching now, season 1 finale!

Real life.

That's cool I didn't know. I love her in the good wife, wish her character would show up more there (especially since her character is next to pointless in True Blood)

Edit: Zoe's back!

Edit2: "here have some chocolate"
"Will this help? Boost my adrenaline or something?"
"No...but it tastes good"

Why you so smooth John?

Rhaknar

I was just going to ask mid episode "so I guess that hacker lady must come back in season 2 or something since they never resolved that?"

This show is awesome. My waifu continues her evil ways after Illyria

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
If you loved S1's finale, you are going to flip shit at the sheer awesomeness of much of S2.

Potentially unpopular opinion/super mild spoilers:
I actually liked the first couple of episodes of the second season more than S1's finale. But then again, I think cuckoo Root is best Root.

Rhaknar

Just started season 2, I think I'm done with this show guys, I just can't take it anymore...

John is just too much of a badass, I'm starting to feel self conscious :(

Edit: yo Root's crazy

Edit 2: Dutch dog is the best dog

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
That's kind of something that I've been wondering about for a few weeks now actually, is season 4 actually going to be able to keep the momentum s3 built or is it going to dial it down a bit similar to s1 and 2?

I'm not trying to be all negative or anything, but, shit man they have a lot of live up to after this season, because your right, the 911 episode quality-wise feels like something from s1/2 so it says something when people aren't so hot on it after how much of a step up the rest of the season has been.

Yeah! And the thing is, what other threat could be as big or bigger than Samaritan? I kinda feel like this might make the following seasons not as special. I hope I'm wrong though.

Rhaknar

It's the second time on this show that I think "whatever happened to..." and that character shows up in the episode I'm watching. First Root in the season finale and now Elias in ep4 of the second season :)

Speaking of, this show is juggling at least 4 "big bads" in Elias, Root, the CIA and John's ex-partner...5 if you count HR. It's craziness I tell you!

Phlebas

Banned
If you loved S1's finale, you are going to flip shit at the sheer awesomeness of much of S2.

Potentially unpopular opinion/super mild spoilers:
I actually liked the first couple of episodes of the second season more than S1's finale. But then again, I think cuckoo Root is best Root.

I like her this way too, but at the end of S2 she's on another level entirely.

ZenaxPure

Speaking of, this show is juggling at least 4 "big bads" in Elias, Root, the CIA and John's ex-partner...5 if you count HR. It's craziness I tell you!

And the best part is, they all get their time in the sun. Thus far POI has never disappointed and left one of the major story lines hanging in a big way. It may take a while for one of the stories to be resolved, but, every one of them is awesome.

Yeah! And the thing is, what other threat could be as big or bigger than Samaritan? I kinda feel like this might make the following seasons not as special. I hope I'm wrong though.

I literally can not imagine where this show goes from here. I am just not capable of it. Can't wait to see where the end of S3 leaves us.

Rhaknar

I'm really liking that there's some more comedy in season 2, not HAHA comedy, just subtle little things, makes for a nice counter balance for all the grimmness. Also makes John look more human

Oh and I wish Zoe was a regular :(

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
BLIND POST #2

Season 2 done! Show remains awesome.

I'll start S3 soon, but it will be a bit slower going since I'm back at work. I was off a few days so that helped me get through S2 quickly.

Sober

BLIND POST #2

Season 2 done! Show remains awesome.

I'll start S3 soon, but it will be a bit slower going since I'm back at work. I was off a few days so that helped me get through S2 quickly.
Nice. Now you can read the OP and all that. I was actually going to bookmark where all the episodes were in the thread so if you wanted to follow along as we FREAK THE FUCK OUT over the course of the season, you can.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. Now you can read the OP and all that. I was actually going to bookmark where all the episodes were in the thread so if you wanted to follow along as we FREAK THE FUCK OUT over the course of the season, you can.

I've actually been reading the threads as I watch the episodes. :D It was confusing for a bit because I'd somehow skipped an episode and was really confused with all the reactions until I figured out what happened.

I think I might be caught up for the finale.

Sober

I've actually been reading the threads as I watch the episodes. :D It was confusing for a bit because I'd somehow skipped an episode and was really confused with all the reactions until I figured out what happened.

You got two weeks!

Phlebas

Banned

You can join everyone in here then while we collectively get our minds blown, looking forward to it.

Rhaknar I love to reading your reactions can't wait for later in the season and season 3

Also everyone not sure if I'll be strong enough but I'm thinking about skipping this weeks show and the thread after Tuesday eventing so that I can watch last 2 eps back to back.
Because man I don;t think I can take next ep and then wait 1 more week.

So if I don't report in you know why.

Nobility

Banned
Power week this week. 24, Blacklist, Person of Interest, The Americans.

All four...in one week.

iswtv28pX6lK3.gif

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I don't expect any posts from Rhaknar for a while, he will pass out from the awesomeness that is POI S3

Phlebas

Banned
Rhaknar I love to reading your reactions can't wait for later in the season and season 3

Also everyone not sure if I'll be strong enough but I'm thinking about skipping this weeks show and the thread after Tuesday eventing so that I can watch last 2 eps back to back.
Because man I don;t think I can take next ep and then wait 1 more week.

So if I don't report in you know why.

I also thought about this but I don't know if I can resist.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/why-person-of-interest-is-the-most-subversive-show-on-televi
Nice long article talking with Jonah and Greg about the show, and issues the show deals with (Surveillance, AI's).

Be warned, Jonah uses cursewords, and he spoils the mid season arc for season 3. Basically, don't read until you're caught up to the last 2 episodes of Season 3.

Jonah seems to really go off on the fact that Google, Facebook, Apple and other companies help provide information to the NSA/PRISM/Government, and the fact that the public doesn't seem to be as mad at them as they are the NSA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom