• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – The Fifth and Final Season |OT| "Thank you for creating me."

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
You guys have no idea how happy I am that we're getting two episodes tomorrow. After today, I need MORE.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, Samaritan's good, alright 😏

"Let me save you, or I'll make sure you all die!"

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So I don't see how Smaritan has made an argument to convince Shaw. I do appreciate its doing a pivot but cmon

It's appealing to the "screw the BS, lets kill all the bad people" in Shaw's mind. Reminds me of Death Benefit, when she said "I would've put a bullet in this guy's head [the congressman] before".

We'll see how firm she is in that thought.

Also, it was just so impressive that the writers are aware of The Great Filter. So good. Some people actually say that The Great Filter is ASI's, since if done incorrectly it would mean the end of mankind, but done correctly, it would open up the true potential of the species.

Lonestar

Strange the main 3 got this below average case to work on (at least it had some funny bits). Everything with Shaw and Fusco was great.

It's appealing to the "screw the BS, lets kill all the bad people" in Shaw's mind. Reminds me of Death Benefit, when she said "I would've put a bullet in this guy's head [the congressman] before".

We'll see how firm she is in that thought.
Right but shaw has seen what Samaritan has done and is capable of. And knows the machines relevant list would have caught that bomb

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Strange the main 3 got this below average case to work on (at least it had some funny bits). Everything with Shaw and Fusco was great.

I think that the case is suppose to highlight the life that the team will never get. Their looks at the end is pretty telling.

Right but shaw has seen what Samaritan has done and is capable of. And knows the machines relevant list would have caught that bomb

Oh yeah, good point.

Doorman

What I don't understand about all of this now is...what is Samaritan even trying to fight anymore? It made its point with the field trip that it has the intel and capability to do what it wants with all these various people and whatever it perceives as threats...so why try so desperately to turn Shaw? Why bother trying to hunt down the Machine and its team? It knows the Machine can't beat it directly, it's outwardly confident the Machine can't beat it, so why does it act like it's even still a legitimate threat? Samaritan can continue running the world as it sees fit, the Machine can continue sending Finch and co after "irrelevant" numbers...if the two happen to intersect at some point, then Samaritan and Decima can try and seek and destroy them, but until then there really shouldn't be any sense of urgency.

I also still feel unclear about this whole debate about "letting the machine stretch its legs, be more proactive, give it tools," since we've already been given several examples of the Machine acting beyond Finch's intentions anyway. It developed a workaround to the memory wipes, completely moved its operation, affected change in the city's infrastructure with the installation of its special power-boxes, and other things. It's created and made use of resources that Finch didn't explicitly give it...so what else exactly is still limiting it from a philosophical standpoint?

Goodstyle

The ending of this episode with Finch, Root, and Reese watching the wedding couple dance reminded me of this Buffy scene so much:

tumblr_lfmgg4OegZ1qgbabho1_500.gif

Lonestar

I wonder if what it's most afraid of (from Team Machine) is to somehow let the public know about these ASI's, of what it's done (hey look, a demolition site filled with inconvenient bodies!).

Not sure if it's evolved high enough to survive humanity/governments disconnecting them.

Counter to that, though, is humanity is stupid, and would probably be openly ok with them.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Humanity didn't give a fuck about privacy with the Snowden's leaks, I doubt it would care about the existence of ASI's.

Heck, a good part of humanity would even welcome it. I mean you have people applauding the man who's supporting torture and the killing of terrorist's families.

I think that Samaritan is afraid that at the end of the day, Finch grows the courage of allowing the Machine do whatever it needs to be done, of improving the Machine. Samaritan's creator is either dead or senile, meanwhile Finch is still intellectually capable of improving the Machine, enhancing it. Even if Samaritan is confident it can squash them, that small chance could be enough for them to disrupt its plans. And Samaritan does not like disruptions. It killed a guy for asking a question (the internal affairs cop), I can imagine it wants the team and the Machine dead a little more.

Doorman

Humanity didn't give a fuck about privacy with the Snowden's leaks, I doubt it would care about the existence of ASI's.

Heck, a good part of humanity would even welcome it. I mean you have people applauding the man who's supporting torture and the killing of terrorist's families.

I think that Samaritan is afraid that at the end of the day, Finch grows the courage of allowing the Machine do whatever it needs to be done, of improving the Machine. Samaritan's creator is either dead or senile, meanwhile Finch is still intellectually capable of improving the Machine, enhancing it. Even if Samaritan is confident it can squash them, that small chance could be enough for them to disrupt its plans. And Samaritan does not like disruptions. It killed a guy for asking a question (the internal affairs cop), I can imagine it wants the team and the Machine dead a little more.

The point Finch keeps making this season though, is that the entity best suited to improve the Machine at this point is...the Machine itself. Again, it's demonstrated this capability in the past. However smart Finch is, there's nothing he can do on a technological/"software" level that the Machine can't already do better, faster. I guess the only thing it's waiting for is Finch's permission, essentially...which the Machine could have circumvented already anyway, during the period of time that it perceived him as the threat and thus was running without an admin.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The point Finch keeps making this season though, is that the entity best suited to improve the Machine at this point is...the Machine itself. Again, it's demonstrated this capability in the past. However smart Finch is, there's nothing he can do on a technological/"software" level that the Machine can't already do better, faster. I guess the only thing it's waiting for is Finch's permission, essentially...which the Machine could have circumvented already anyway, during the period of time that it perceived him as the threat and thus was running without an admin.

Ah, that's a good point. The Machine is infinitely smarter than Finch at this point. I suppose that's where the metamorphosis plot point is aiming to go.

Spoilers related to the preview that aired at the end:
Looks like shit will go down this episode. Shaw looks like she will break out and the cliffhanger ending with Fusco. Although I can't imagine Shaw breaking out of Samaritan's grasps without some sort of drawback. I could see Shaw agreeing to work with Samaritan since we never heard her answer. However she uses it as a ploy to escape.

Melissa Scrivner Love with that corny ass shit goddamn. This is Season 5 step up yo game. (Kinda loved the ending, tho. Finch and Root, so sweet.)

You guys have no idea how happy I am that we're getting two episodes tomorrow. After today, I need MORE.

Absolutely. The B and C plots were banging. I was screaming at my TV when Fusco and Bear went into the tunnel. They can't leave me hanging like that goddamn.

(Also because I need an A plot this week that isn't... well, that.)

Chariot

"Tomorrow, their world crashes. We can give 'em tonight."

OH SHIT! The two episodes tomorrow will be terrible for my, won't they?!

Sölf

Great episode. I don't know what else to say.
But it's a shame Bruce is dead. He probably would have gotten a bigger role if they would have more than half a season to finish things. Also, Fusco no! ;_;

Sober

Two episodes tonight two episodes tonight

I'm seeing double! Four episodes of POI!

"QSO"

Root goes under cover to protect the host of a radio show; Samaritan's agents try to assure a team member that their intentions are noble.

followed by

"Reassortment"

Reese and Finch become trapped in a hospital after the discovery of a deadly virus outbreak; a new recruit at Samaritan has second thoughts; Shaw struggles with reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom