• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Portable |OT|: Mixing Things Up for Third Trimester

Barrett2

This is my first Persona game.

The first hour of this game is already more interesting than any other JRPG I have played in a long time.

Aeana

Finished the first full moon event. My earlier impressions stand, except that some of the slimming down has started to bother me in the way the story scenes are presented. It's not that bad, but I do really appreciate having played the PS2 version so I know what's actually happening in the scenes. :/

Blueblur1

mileS said:
Having only played Persona 4 first I have to say this game starts out quite a bit better for the first couple of hours. Really really impressed with the game so far and I can already tell I'm going to be addicted to it all summer.
Definitely true. P4 takes forever to really get started.

demonkaze

kamorra said:
Does the PSN version need OFW 6.30? I'm still on 6.20 and I don't want to loose HBL.

It works on 6.20, no need to update.

I haven't played too much but i'm still loving this game third time round (Female MC) however I do agree that you appreciate it more having played the PS2 version, some scenes don't have the same impact.

PSA for CFW PSP users:

The North American version of the game seems to require 6.20, unlike the Japanese version. You'll need to work around that requirement if you are using CFW. The simplest solution is to use an app called ISO Tool 1.54 which can perform the decryption of EBOOT.bin from the original game's ISO and the Prometheus patch to make it work with firmwares earlier than 6.xx. You need it in ISO form to do the patch, afterwards you can compress it to CSO if you're short of space on your Memory Stick.

Aeana

Unknown Soldier said:
PSA for CFW PSP users:

The North American version of the game seems to require 6.20, unlike the Japanese version. You'll need to work around that requirement if you are using CFW. The simplest solution is to use an app called ISO Tool 1.54 which can perform the decryption of EBOOT.bin from the original game's ISO and the Prometheus patch to make it work with firmwares earlier than 6.xx. You need it in ISO form to do the patch, afterwards you can compress it to CSO if you're short of space on your Memory Stick.
The simplest solution is actually to just install the 5.50 Prometheus addon, which plays it without modification.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I only ever bothered with the original Persona, which I enjoyed, and got about halfway through the PSP port before I got sick of gaming a while back.

Never bothered with the other Persona titles so it should be interesting to see how this one fares for me personally.

Freyjadour said:
I do hope "different" is not intended as "better". I mean, P3 is probably better than P1, but I hate to see people look past the previous games because 3 and 4 are flashier. Innocent Sin is still by and far my favorite and stands up there with the JRPG Legends in storytelling.

Hm I guess gameplay wise, I would almost consider them both separate. Persona 1, seemed like it was sorta playing at being tactical and such, the social interactions seemed to be a different way, and I guess the story in that one seemed to be extremely serious (zombies!). Though SEBEC just seemed so memorable to me, lol.

This though, seems different, I guess more robust outside of dungeon crawling. P3 is pretty awesome thus far though (at an hour in)

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Quick question: I bought a PSP Go today in hopes of playing Persona 3 Portable. I assumed I could download it through the American PSN with an american account, but when I go to log in it tells me that "you can't sign in using another user's sign-in ID (email address)." So you can only have one account on a PSP? Do I have to delete my EU account from the memory and download it through the american one and then import my EU account and delete my American one to be able to play this game?

Aeana

Brobzoid said:
Quick question: I bought a PSP Go today in hopes of playing Persona 3 Portable. I assumed I could download it through the American PSN with an american account, but when I go to log in it tells me that "you can't sign in using another user's sign-in ID (email address)." So you can only have one account on a PSP? Do I have to delete my EU account from the memory and download it through the american one and then import my EU account and delete my American one to be able to play this game?
Yes, you can only have one account on the PSP. You have to delete it to switch. It's a huge pain.

suikodan

Brobzoid said:

You need to switch between the two accounts. Unlike on PS3, you simply can't change profile. You need to reenter the information for the account needed each time you switch accounts to play games from different territories.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Aeana said:
Yes, you can only have one account on the PSP. You have to delete it to switch. It's a huge pain.
ok, so I delete the one currently logged in my system (Norway), then log into the one with the american info, which makes that become my main account - I then download the game. After that, can I switch back to the original account and play the game or is the license held to the purchasing account?

I'd rather not get caught in some crazy web of having my catalog split between two log-ins... -_-

edit: got my answer. I bit my lip and shook my fist. Now onto Maximus cards to get this ball of shit rolling. -_-

edit2: oh for fucks sake, now Maximus Cards are having issues confirming the transaction.

Will I ever get to play this game? ;_;

Dedication Through Light said:
Hm I guess gameplay wise, I would almost consider them both separate. Persona 1, seemed like it was sorta playing at being tactical and such, the social interactions seemed to be a different way, and I guess the story in that one seemed to be extremely serious (zombies!). Though SEBEC just seemed so memorable to me, lol.

This though, seems different, I guess more robust outside of dungeon crawling. P3 is pretty awesome thus far though (at an hour in)
Good. Yeah, they're definitely very different games. That's part of the problem with the series is that 1 and both 2 games are almost entirely different subseries. 3's story didn't really shine for me until the end, but it does handle that really well.

Again, I wanna stress that you should all play Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment. They are lightyears better than 1.

shahkur

Gonna download this now on PSN. Was wondering if the new music "Sun", "Time" etc. is only exclusive to the female playthrough.

Guys, WTF? Why am I getting taxed when buying Persona3P? It's meant to be $39.99 right? But then it adds a tax of $3.54. Is it because I'm trying to buy it from the US store but I'm in UK. Someone help?

Shinjitsu

Banned
shahkur said:
Gonna download this now on PSN. Was wondering if the new music "Sun", "Time" etc. is only exclusive to the female playthrough.

According to the 1up review a few of the songs are only in the female playthrough, so i would assume the answer is yes.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
I played for a few minutes last night and so far I'm enjoying it. On the one hand I miss the anime cutscenes but I think the ssacrifice is worth it because the game is incredibly streamlined. One of the things that made me stop P3F was all the running around similar looking hallways trying to find a particular classroom. P3P makes this so much easier and faster. I also like how you don't have to sit through an animation of all the kids walking to school and there's hardly any load times. I haven't gotten to Tartarus so hopefully that will feel quick as well. All in all I think P3 is a great fit for mobile gaming. I honestly feel like most of my turn-based RPG gaming is done on a mobile anyways.

If I've never played a Persona game but love JRPG, will I enjoy this. Everything I've read seems like this is an awesome game. I passed on the PS2 version because of time constraints .

darkjedi187 said:
If I've never played a Persona game but love JRPG, will I enjoy this. Everything I've read seems like this is an awesome game. I passed on the PS2 version because of time constraints .
I'm starting to wonder why I even bothered writing the OP.

The answer is yes.

Dedication Through Light said:
lol, I love the song for being just in the dormitory place. Velvet Room music is always good
Does Girl's Side still use the regular Iwatodai Dorm music? I love that song.

Yaweee

I AM JOHN! said:
I'm starting to wonder why I even bothered writing the OP.

The answer is yes.

Does Girl's Side still use the regular Iwatodai Dorm music? I love that song.

Yes, the dorm is one of the few commonly heard tracks that is the same for both characters.

Hmm, I don't know whether to get this or not. I got P3 and P4 day one in the UK but only got about halfway through P3 and haven't even touched P4. This has some gameplay improvements that were in P4, so I guess if I am going to finish it I should go with this version...

How much is it on the US PSN?

Baloonatic said:
Hmm, I don't know whether to get this or not. I got P3 and P4 day one in the UK but only got about halfway through P3 and haven't even touched P4. This has some gameplay improvements that were in P4, so I guess if I am going to finish it I should go with this version...

How much is it on the US PSN?

lol, I wish I had got the soundtrack. People selling it for so much on Amazon...Persona 3

Didn't play it for a long time. Will start again with P3P, the new way of telling the story means this should go a lot quicker. Can someone remind me what S. Links I need to max for
Thanatos, Messiah, Lucifer
?

Castor Krieg said:
Didn't play it for a long time. Will start again with P3P, the new way of telling the story means this should go a lot quicker. Can someone remind me what S. Links I need to max for
Thanatos, Messiah, Lucifer
?
Death, Judgement, Star

george_us

With my 60 Gig PS3 dying on me I have more incentive to grab this. I'll probably trade in some old games I don't play anymore.

May just end up buying this on PSN through my PS3. Never done that with a PSP game before. Can I ask some stupid questions?

1. Can I download games from PSN and put them on a PSP-1000?

2. What about firmware? I haven't used my PSP in over a year, so I'm sure I need to update. Until now, all my updates have come from UMDs I've bought. What's the quickest way to update firmware online? Can I do it through the PS3?

3. Anything else I need to know? I'm using a North American PS3, North American PSN account, North American PSP if that matters.

Thanks in advance...I'd hate to buy it online and then find I can't get it to work for whatever reason. I'm kinda dumb when it comes to this shit.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Whoompthereitis said:
May just end up buying this on PSN through my PS3. Never done that with a PSP game before. Can I ask some stupid questions?

1. Can I download games from PSN and put them on a PSP-1000?

2. What about firmware? I haven't used my PSP in over a year, so I'm sure I need to update. Until now, all my updates have come from UMDs I've bought. What's the quickest way to update firmware online? Can I do it through the PS3?

3. Anything else I need to know? I'm using a North American PS3, North American PSN account, North American PSP if that matters.

Thanks in advance...I'd hate to buy it online and then find I can't get it to work for whatever reason. I'm kinda dumb when it comes to this shit.

1. Yes
2. Connect PSP to your wireless router, click the icon on the left most menu to update firmware.
You can also download on your computer then transfer the update to the PSP memory stick via USB. This can be downloaded off Sony's site and they have install instructions. Only takes a few minutes.

Not sure but if the game requires upgraded firmware and you dont have it it will probably prompt you to download when you load the game, then you can connect to your router and let it do its thing.

antispin

Cleared the 16th floor, beat the boss and having fun. This is my first Persona; I've played SMT before though. Good stuff. Wish the social aspects were deeper.

Yaweee

DidntKnowJack said:
Still waiting for fucking Gamestop to get the game in. What. The. Hell.

Have you never bought a game from Gamestop before? That's how things often work; released on Tuesday, shipments in on Wednesday or Thursday, time depending on where they are on the shipping company's route.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Oh. Amazon still thinks that I won't be receiving this until the 9th, but UPS is telling me that it's out for delivery!

DidntKnowJack said:
Still waiting for fucking Gamestop to get the game in. What. The. Hell.

Thats why Im so glad that Amazon offered release date delivery for this and that I had earned gift certificates from them, lol. One time my gamestop apparently wasnt delivered a game at all until I had to actually request it, it was a new release even. I guess some are just so small they dont bother sending it to every store.

Volcynika

I'm still conflicted a bit on whether I want to get this, and I probably would opt for the PSN version....but I have to wait to handle my memory card stuff before I even consider it.

Hm.

FredFish

Mejilan said:
Oh. Amazon still thinks that I won't be receiving this until the 9th, but UPS is telling me that it's out for delivery!

Lucky you! At least my pre-order is now being "readied for shipment". Estimated shipping date is July 12th!

Big B

Looking at some gameplay videos and realized that spell names are same across SMT?? not cool since I'm going through devil summoner.

joelseph

darkjedi187 said:
Picked it up from BB at lunch for $11.00! My local BB was the only one that had it. Installed and ready to play later today. :D

Come on now, you have to follow this information up with HOW you got it for $11.00!

Top Bottom