• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena |EU OT| Heartbeat, Heartbreak

Sophia

Which character did you play that didn't have a difference between 4A, 5A, and 6A? o_O

The Persona's are different for each character, but there should be at least three/four variants.

The D button, Persona Special, is essentially the Drive from Blazblue.

Dantis

Normal might not be the right term. I'm referring to move that don't require a motion like QCF or QCB. There are fucking none on this game.

Which character did you play that didn't have a difference between 4A, 5A, and 6A? o_O

The Persona's are different for each character, but there should be at least three/four variants.

Akihiko.

Current thoughts: Awful.

There are at least 12 per character

This is an insanely low number. Like, lower than everything.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Normal might not be the right term. I'm referring to move that don't require a motion like QCF or QCB. There are fucking none on this game.

There are at least 12 per character

I find it strange that you are this concerned about normals.

Sophia

Akihiko.

Current thoughts: Awful.

Akihiko has 14 normals attacks, not accounting for Guard Cancel/All Out Attack. Straight from Dustloop.

Shito

I find it strange that you are this concerned about normals.
He's not concerned that much about normals, but more about hating on the game.
Dantis, I don't even understand why you're playing this, given that you've already made up your mind about not liking it one bit.

Sophia

His complaint is irrelevant anyhow. Not accounting for drives, most characters in Blazblue have similar numbers of normal attacks. Noel has 14 normal attacks in Continuum Shift. Not very far off from his "insanely low number" claim.

Venfayth

If you're counting normals as regular attacks that only your character uses (I don't know why you'd discount your Persona, as, this is fucking Persona and even as a fighting game it's an integral part of the game) most characters have the same basic scheme of grounded "normals":

5A
5AA
5AAA
5B
2A
2B
A+B
2A+B

But implying that somehow diminishes the gameplay is absurd, as a huge part of the footsies and general game flow have to do with each characters Persona, and how that Persona impacts your and your opponents movement and defense.

Roto13

Dantis, I don't even understand why you're playing this, given that you've already made up your mind about not liking it one bit.

It's his deal. He hates on everything. Every single thing. This is not Persona 4 Arena specific. If you seem him post in any thread, there's about a 99% chance he's complaining about how terrible something is.

oneida

It's pretty funny and I'm hoping he's trying to dismantle the game competitively

To be fair, I don't think any character really has any difference between 4A, 5A, and 6A. I know you can hold 4 with certain characters like Chie just so you can use your jabs without going into 5AA.

Still an odd complaint. It doesn't need any more buttons than it already has. Then again, Dantis seemed set on disliking the game before it even came out in Europe.

Shito

His complaint is irrelevant anyhow.
Of course it is.
I'm pretty sure most AE characters have less than 14 normals.
And even if the game had way less normals than "usual", who the hell cares? It's not like there's a predefinite minimum number of normals a fighting game has to have.

Dantis

Let's be honest, unless my feelings were overwhelmingly positive, this was going to be everyone's response anyway.

It matters because having a lot of different moves in games like this is how I play. On Blazblue, I can load it up, and pretty much get by without having to learn anything complex because there are so many non-special moves. The same doesn't apply here.

vocab

Of course it is.
And even if the game had way less normals than "usual", who the hell cares? It's not like there's a predefinite minimum number of normals a fighting game has to have.

Hell most of your normals in SFIV are only accessible to you if your standing close to the other player.

oneida

Of course it is.

Most AE characters have more than 14 normals. There's often differences between close attacks and even air stuff is different in neutral jump than it is if you jump at an angle.

And even if the game had way less normals than "usual", who the hell cares?
It literally does not matter at all.

Shito

It matters because having a lot of different moves in games like this is how I play. On Blazblue, I can load it up, and pretty much get by without having to learn anything complex because there are so many non-special moves. The same doesn't apply here.
You picked-up the only character of the cast who doesn't rely on his persona to get his offense going, but rather on his special moves.
Play more than one character before coming in this thread and tell stupid things.

oneida said:
There's often differences between close attacks and even air stuff is different in neutral jump than it is if you jump at an angle.
Oh, you're right, I somehow totally forgot about near/far attacks and neutral jumps!

Sophia

Let's be honest, unless my feelings were overwhelmingly positive, this was going to be everyone's response anyway.

Okay now you're just making shit up, what with autocombo and all. Infact, you're playing as Akihiko, the one character who anyone can pick up and win in online play against low level players.

oneida

If it bugs you then fine, but just so you understand it has no bearing on the competitive scene. It's a really silly complaint.

Dantis

Okay now you're just making shit up, what with autocombo and all.

Well no, not really. I don't want to just sit there hammering auto combo all day, do I?

If it bugs you then fine, but just so you understand it has no bearing on the competitive scene. It's a really silly complaint.

This is a completely acceptable compromise. I wasn't trying to mean that it had any bearing competitively, only that it is hindering my personal enjoyment.

Venfayth

Stop thinking of your persona's "normals" as special attacks. It's harder to do this for some characters because of how their personas behave, but yeah.

I can't think of a non-ironic way to say this, but think of the persona as an extension of your character.

Well no, not really. I don't want to just sit there hammering auto combo all day, do I?

Go to the character missions or trials or whatever they're called, and learn one of the combos they show you there. Try to pull them off in a match, it should be fun :D

FSLink

Banned

So you're complaining because BlazBlue has more different looking moves for when you button mash? o_O

There's definitely a lot of moves in this game, and much easier to get into the actual combos too.

Stop thinking of your persona's "normals" as special attacks. It's harder to do this for some characters because of how their personas behave, but yeah.

I can't think of a non-ironic way to say this, but think of the persona as an extension of your character.

Bingo.

Sophia

Then don't autocombo? I find it sad you even brought it up when you're playing as the one character who's literally "Easy to learn, hard to master." If you have any experience with ArcSys fighting games at all, you should be able to more than just "get by" as Akihiko.

Go to the character missions or trials or whatever they're called, and learn one of the combos they show you there. Try to pull them off in a match, it should be fun :D

Challenge mode, and yes, do this.

oneida

if you think of special move as combo punctuation (occasionally commas, but often exclamation marks), Persona moves function the same as your character's attacks as they can be cancelled out of with a special attack.

This is a really weird discussion.

oneida

I think combos in this game are more fun than Marvel.

And Marvel combos are very, very fun.

Shito

This is making me want to do Liz combos. Haha.
Liz combos are 95% the reason why I'm maining Liz. <3

Sophia said:
Coincidentally, there are 4Bs, 6Bs, and 6Ds in those combos....
Yeah, most of the command normals in this game are done with B/C/D.
I suppose there's a reason they didn't put anything like this on the auto-attack button...

Oh I've been playing since the japanese release.
I know how hard the road is. But I enjoy those kind of "all-in" characters -- I play Makoto in AE.

I have respect for you if you can pull it off. I myself am pretty much am a fighting game scrub, but I still fight on regardless!

Dantis

Game is off. I'll try it again in a bit. Actually enjoying it a lot less than I even expected (I assumed that I'd enjoy the actual gameplay mechanics because I like GG and BB. Guess not!).

Sooooo glad I didn't purchase.

No point in me hanging around here if I'm just going to be spewing anger though. I'll leave you all to your business.

PK Gaming

This is a completely acceptable compromise. I wasn't trying to mean that it had any bearing competitively, only that it is hindering my personal enjoyment.

Don't fall into the same trap that I did! Don't hold back on using Auto combos because you feel scrubby, because even good players rely on auto combos. That said, try and learn "regular" combos, since they tend to do more damage.

P4A has a lot of good normal attacks (non combo moves), but it usually depends on the character. I don't main Akihiko, but try to use his standing heavy attack (it's a 2 hit punch) and his jumping heavy attack. I think its triangle on the PS3 controller.

Sophia

I for one am shocked.

I'm not shocked. Not even sarcastically. It's the same old song and dance for Dantis here. When he can't convinced people of his own irrational hatred for something and gets called out on misinformation or hypocrisy, he plays the "I'm not interested" card in order to get away.

At least Omi seemed to enjoy the online play with us, even if he didn't like story mode.

Venfayth

Well now that Dantis left, I can too.
:lol, I kid

Definitely gonna mess around with this again tonight though, after work.

Lunar15

This. I love the hot-blooded nature of everything. Some may say that doesn't fit with the rest of Persona, but I think they did a good job of taking what made Persona stuff memorable and fitting it to a high-octane fighter.

And if you don't like it, the soundtrack has The Almighty. That makes it automatically amazing, regardless of the rest of the soundtrack.

remz

On Blazblue, aren't there directional normals too? I feel like there definitely are.

On this, 4A, 5A and 6A are all the same, for example.

With the Personas, it's even worse! There's just ONE normal?

P4A has directional normals... I'm certain. with the hard attack button and with the persona button. depends on the character though.

This. I love the hot-blooded nature of everything. Some may say that doesn't fit with the rest of Persona, but I think they did a good job of taking what made Persona stuff memorable and fitting it to a high-octane fighter.

And if you don't like it, the soundtrack has The Almighty. That makes it automatically amazing, regardless of the rest of the soundtrack.

If dantis was here too, he would be telling you how the majority of the songs are mediocre to bad except the few that meguro himself did ;)

Lunar15

No you don't.

Also, most of the P4A soundtrack is ballin' (save for maybe Yosuke's theme and the disappointing lack of I'll Face Myself), so he doesn't know what he's talking about in that regard either.

I think chie's theme was the most disappointing initially. Dem horns... took a while to get used to.

I really love Yukiko's theme, but the best is either S.Lab or Naoto. Honestly, I like those two more than a lot of songs in P4 and P3.

Top Bottom