• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena |EU OT| Heartbeat, Heartbreak

I think chie's theme was the most disappointing initially. Dem horns.

I really love Yukiko's theme, but the best is either S.Lab or Naoto.

Chie's theme was decent enough. It fit her energetic personality, and sounded like it was straight out of Sonic the Hedgehog (GOTTA STEAK FAST).

I dislike Yosuke's because it seems so bland and for the lack of a better word, "calm" for his character. In a game that can somehow make smooth jazz fit Teddie, Yosuke's theme is a misstep that sounds out of place everytime I play as him.

In the end it doesn't really matter to me though since I just use The Almighty or The Battle For Everyone's Souls as the stage music 99% of the time ;P

Lunar15

Soundtrack version of Chie's theme is a lot better than the ingame version.

Is there a link to the soundtrack versions on youtube? Also, are the soundtrack versions the same as the ones on the disk that came with the game?

Also, Shadows of the Labrynth sounds exactly like a persona boss battle. It could easily replace a boss theme in the other games and fit perfectly. Dat creepy piano.

Sophia

Is there a link to the soundtrack versions on youtube? Also, are the soundtrack versions the same as the ones on the disk that came with the game?

No, the disc that came with the game contains all remixes. The soundtrack versions on the other hand have been cleaned up and improved upon from the game versions, with one or two exceptions.

Main difference in Chie's theme is the cleaner instruments. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cca3Ae2Z0kc

Lunar15

No, the disc that came with the game contains all remixes. The soundtrack versions on the other hand have been cleaned up and improved upon from the game versions, with one or two exceptions.

Main difference in Chie's theme is the cleaner instruments. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cca3Ae2Z0kc

I can completely picture Chie running through a loop while this is playing. Also, thanks for the link! It's definitely cleaned up, but not sure I can tell immediate differences without listening to the original first.

Yukiko's theme is instantly better though. Much better instruments. Same with Mitsuru. The added beat-track on hers might be a little too much, though. Aigis gets the biggest improvement though.

OMG Aero

Does anyone want to try and get an EU room going tonight. I got to the continue point in Yu's story, played a few online matches and am having a ton of fun with it.
Actually landing one of those instant kill moves online feels amazing.
Does Zen send shipping confirmations?
They were supposed to ship LEs today...but no word from them so far...
I never got a shipping confirmation but my copy arrived today. I was worried about it not arriving in time so yesterday I did some searching around and found other people saying they hadn't got a confirmation so I don't know if they are actually going to send an email (even though their store says they will).

akaoni

Banned
Persona fans are completely crazy, really beyond all hope of sanity. I had stated previously that I wanted to see if I could make some profit with the vinyl bonus. I paid £35 for the game and just sold the vinyl by itself £35... I don't know if I can bring myself to sell the game now that I've gotten it for free. They're selling for £30 up to £50-£60 if you go for international. Explain to me the Persona fan logic.

Persona fans are completely crazy, really beyond all hope of sanity. I had stated previously that I wanted to see if I could make some profit with the vinyl bonus. I paid £35 for the game and just sold the vinyl by itself £35... I don't know if I can bring myself to sell the game now that I've gotten it for free. They're selling for £30 up to £50-£60 if you go for international. Explain to me the Persona fan logic.

1) It's a vinyl, and there's actually quite a bit of demand for vinyls these days. 2) It's also not a black vinyl, which increases its value further. Finally, 3) it's exclusive to one store and AFAIK one country as well, which means supply is low. Hence, high prices.

Although to be perfectly blunt, had you waited three to six months I wouldn't be too surprised if you made a nice profit.

There is 1 vinyl for $80 on ebay right now. I would probably buy it, but i realize that i already spent $120 on those figures that cam out a while back.

akaoni

Banned
Although to be perfectly blunt, had you waited three to six months I wouldn't be too surprised if you made a nice profit.

I was the first person to list mine... I thought there would be lots and they wouldn't sell anywhere near the price they are... I didn't know...I didn't--

tumblr_ll2q53UvcU1qefjiy.gif

Dantis

So I tried it again, this time with my brother. Enjoyed it an awful lot more than against the AI.

I still don't like the lack of moves. As someone who wants to jump in and just smash certain button combinations I find myself just falling back on Auto-Combo over and over, with a few special moves tossed in in between. I feel like this creates a much higher barrier of entry over, say, Blazblue, MvC3 or any 3D fighter.

On the other hand, once you get a little bit more used to it, the combat feels kind of similar to Blazblue in its flow, and it definitely feels well made. It kind of feels like a lesser Blazblue to me. Given more time with it, I'd say that the gameplay isn't bad by any means, but why would I play this over Blazblue? I'd consider it a 6 or a 7. It's far from the worst game I've played, but also far from the best.

Why are we suddenly confusing Dantis for Derrick?

Omi makes some scathing remarks and everyone shrugs it off. I make less scathing remarks and bring out mega tears.

*shrug*

Internet, I guess!

Sophia

I still don't like the lack of moves.

There isn't a lack of moves, Dantis. We compared them earlier in this VERY THREAD. At best there's a difference of four to five depending on the character.

How do you create these complete fabrications in your head like this?

Omi makes some scathing remarks and everyone shrugs it off. I make less scathing remarks and bring out mega tears.

*shrug*

Internet, I guess!

Omi actually gave the game a fair chance after his initial comments, and some of his complaints were actually valid. Unlike yours.

Uncle AJ

No one has brought up that there are other "command" normals that don't involve the Persona buttons.

Yu's j.2A is his divekick.
Yosuke's j.2B is a slash that lifts him upwards (and is integral to his gliding technique)
Aigis' j.2B is the grenades.

And just about every character has a "2nd j.B" that has unique animations and sometimes different properties, but you need to land the first j.B to use it.

Yu's second j.B only hits once, unlike his first j.B which can hit twice. This is an important part of his corner mix-up game. Because he can cancel j.B into j.BB BEFORE the second hit of j.B, he can control whether or not he's throwing out one, two, or three overhead attacks before going for a low 2A.

Labrys' second j.B causes a wallbounce. It's almost exclusively used for corner air combos.

why would I play this over Blazblue?

Because the average P4A combo doesn't take a decade and a half to complete. (Emphasis on average)

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I still don't like the lack of moves. As someone who wants to jump in and just smash certain button combinations I find myself just falling back on Auto-Combo over and over, with a few special moves tossed in in between. I feel like this creates a much higher barrier of entry over, say, Blazblue, MvC3 or any 3D fighter.

How many normal moves do characters have in UMvC3, Dantis? :D

Lemstar

And here I was thinking that 3D games are hard to get into because there's dozens of normals per character that you need to know.

Also, Marvel has 11 normals per character (s/cr/j LMH, S, j.S), with maybe one or two command normals per character (unless you're playing Skrull). I strongly doubt that you'd be having any fun only using those buttons, though.

Dantis

Omi actually gave the game a fair chance after his initial comments, and some of his complaints were actually valid. Unlike yours.

Well, Omi only came around after a few hours. You all jumped on my post about two minutes after I posted it, haha!

Let's not make out that you gave me a fair chance here. ;)

And here I was thinking that 3D games are hard to get into because there's dozens of normals per character that you need to know.

Also, Marvel has 11 normals per character (s/cr/j LMH, S, j.S), with maybe one or two command normals per character (unless you're playing Skrull). I strongly doubt that you'd be having any fun only using those buttons, though.

*shrug*

I don't know what to tell you. On Arena, I feel like I don't have many options going in blind. I didn't feel like that in MvC3. Maybe it was because it was a three-character game, maybe it just clicked with me better. I honestly don't know.

I'd be interested to know how many normals Blazblue has, if anyone has that information.

EDIT: I just had a thought. Let's say we forget about the moves thing. I was wrong, there are TONS of moves, right?

Instead, let's just say that the game isn't for me. Is that more acceptable?

Sophia

Well, Omi only came around after a few hours. You all jumped on my post about two minutes after I posted it, haha!

Let's not make out that you gave me a fair chance here. ;)

You didn't deserve a fair chance because the moment you got it you came right into this thread with misinformation, and when people called you out on it, you did your "I'm not interested. Bye!" shtick again. Which, I might add, is extremely fucking irritating.

I'd be interested to know how many normals Blazblue has, if anyone has that information.

Not accounting for drives that would give a character more (I.E. Noel), the average is about 10-20. Not significantly more than Persona 4 Arena.

EDIT: I just had a thought. Let's say we forget about the moves thing. I was wrong, there are TONS of moves, right?

Instead, let's just say that the game isn't for me. Is that more acceptable?

There you go again. The same shtick. Every time.

You just got the game. You've been proven wrong. Why not stick with it for a little bit and actually see if the game is for you instead of making a hasty and irrational judgement? You've played BlazBlue, so I assume you have enough experience to know that every character in an ArcSys game is significantly different.

Dantis

You didn't deserve a fair chance because the moment you got it you came right into this thread with misinformation, and when people called you out on it, you did your "I'm not interested. Bye!" shtick again. Which, I might add, is extremely fucking irritating.

Then why did you say that it was different because Omi gave it a fair chance after his initial comments? That's a contradiction!

And why would I sit here and be berated, when I could just say "Sure, you're right. I'm wrong" and be done with it? Internet arguments are often boring and cyclical.

And if it's getting you down this much, maybe you need to get some sleep. This is no way for friends to talk! ;)

Sophia

Then why did you say that it was different because Omi gave it a fair chance after his initial comments? That's a contradiction!

There's no contradiction. When Omi jumped the gun in his anger and started making fallacious comments and posing his opinion as an absolute fact, I called him out on it too. As did others, although not as harshly as me.

And now he's in the chatroom giving a rational and fair opinion on the game, and everyone is agreeing and/or respecting that opinion.

oneida

Dantis you should spend more time in lesson mode and understand the options that your All Out Attack/Sweep/DP/Burst/OneMoreCancel provide. P4A does not suffer from a shortage of options.

Venfayth

I defended Omi because after his rant, he came on IRC and we talked more, and he explained that his opinions were colored with his frustration in the moment, and then said he was going to give it another chance :p

Omikaru

I defended Omi because after his rant, he came on IRC and we talked more, and he explained that his opinions were colored with his frustration in the moment, and then said he was going to give it another chance :p

This is absolutely true. I still have problems with the game, but I think it's an okay fighter. Fun enough online.

I have a pretty rock solid opinions about Story Mode, but I want to do 100% before I comment, just so I'm absolutely sure about it.

You just got the game. You've been proven wrong. Why not stick with it for a little bit and actually see if the game is for you instead of making a hasty and irrational judgement? You've played BlazBlue, so I assume you have enough experience to know that every character in an ArcSys game is significantly different.

Well to be fair, he did say that Persona 4 Arena was disappointing before he even played it. He came into it wanting to dislike it, we aren't going to make him change his mind.

I think P4A is way better than BlazBlue personally. But eh, not everyone thinks that way.

Korigama

I've been playing BlazBlue since Calamity Trigger, though made a point of skipping Continuum Shift: Extend (not interested in buying an update that only adds one character, in addition to being an all-around nerfing that's been compared to Guilty Gear XX Slash). I would say P4A is an overall better fighter than any given BB title up to this point, more fun to play as well I would say, though I've yet to have the privilege of playing Chrono Phantasma.

NotLiquid

I think it's safe to say I like this game a lot more than I did BlazBlue, which felt a lot more strict and precise, as well as generally slower. Of course, it might just be my placebo speaking since I haven't played BB in a while. I have to agree with Korigama that it's just an incredibly fun fighting game, and I was having my doubts even going into it that fighting games were still a genre I could get into.

I'd love to play with some fellow GAFers but I generally don't feel ready and I haven't gotten around to doing all the characters yet. I hope the online base isn't too dried up.

Sophia

I think it's safe to say I like this game a lot more than I did BlazBlue, which felt a lot more strict and precise, as well as generally slower. Of course, it might just be my placebo speaking since I haven't played BB in a while. I have to agree with Korigama that it's just an incredibly fun fighting game, and I was having my doubts even going into it that fighting games were still a genre I could get into.

I'd love to play with some fellow GAFers but I generally don't feel ready and I haven't gotten around to doing all the characters yet. I hope the online base isn't too dried up.

There are always people playing in the PersonaGAF IRC room. We did some games last night and did some just a few hours ago too. We're open to beginners, and some of us are beginners too, so nobody cares if you win or lose.

Also the public game population has never dried up so you'll always find someone to play with.

oneida

There is always always fresh blood on ranked (the game has been out for almost a year and I still run into very new players). Just relax and give it ago - getting some experience with real matches against real people will be very helpful in getting better at the game.

Just remember - never drive angry!

Geneijin

To be fair, I don't think any character really has any difference between 4A, 5A, and 6A. I know you can hold 4 with certain characters like Chie just so you can use your jabs without going into 5AA.

Still an odd complaint. It doesn't need any more buttons than it already has. Then again, Dantis seemed set on disliking the game before it even came out in Europe.
4A is a good bait for those who mash DP on block.

shtkn

To be fair, I don't think any character really has any difference between 4A, 5A, and 6A. I know you can hold 4 with certain characters like Chie just so you can use your jabs without going into 5AA.

everyone except mitsuru can do this.

akihiko can actually do 5A > 5A by doing 4AA

Geneijin

Chie's theme was decent enough. It fit her energetic personality, and sounded like it was straight out of Sonic the Hedgehog (GOTTA STEAK FAST).

I dislike Yosuke's because it seems so bland and for the lack of a better word, "calm" for his character. In a game that can somehow make smooth jazz fit Teddie, Yosuke's theme is a misstep that sounds out of place everytime I play as him.

In the end it doesn't really matter to me though since I just use The Almighty or The Battle For Everyone's Souls as the stage music 99% of the time ;P
It's entirely fitting to how he plays in P4A honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZNgpMzezgA

Dantis

Wow you certainly have a way with words.

It's my natural charm. :)

This is absolutely true. I still have problems with the game, but I think it's an okay fighter. Fun enough online.

I have a pretty rock solid opinions about Story Mode, but I want to do 100% before I comment, just so I'm absolutely sure about it.

I said it was an okay game too, haha!

Well to be fair, he did say that Persona 4 Arena was disappointing before he even played it. He came into it wanting to dislike it, we aren't going to make him change his mind.

I think P4A is way better than BlazBlue personally. But eh, not everyone thinks that way.

This is my favourite. I really hope you spent like ten minutes sifting through my post history to find this.

I think we all need to have a big group hug and put this ridiculous conversation behind us.

akaoni

Banned
I do kinda like this game after learning some scrub strategies, especially with other similar skilled players. Might try giving Blazblue an actual shot at some stage and maybe try Guilty Gear for the first time, and Dark stalkers, and every 2D fighter ever made because I have problems with buying fighting games to not actually play them. I'll try and stick with it...

EDIT; Is Yu god-tier or something, this guy kept wrecking my awful Chief with him and he didn't seem to ever stop the constant assault with his persona.

Dantis

If the reason for that is as blatantly bullshit as "there are too few normals", then no, it's not acceptable. Get a reason that isn't obviously false and try again.

Frankly, I'm impressed that you've managed to make a post more obnoxious than my own.

Well done!

Frankly, I'm impressed that you've managed to make a post more obnoxious than my own.

Well done!

I apologise for my bluntness, but it's a bit like someone arguing that they didn't like the Mortal Kombat reboot because each character had one Fatality: incorrect.

Top Bottom