• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena |EU OT| Heartbeat, Heartbreak

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'll wait till I can get it used for cheap. Not supporting this kind of behavior by ArcSys and/or Atlus. You treat me like "second class"? I will treat you like "second hand".

Does Atlus even have an EU branch?

Risette

A Good Citizen
People think this looks good?

The sprites look terrible, like all ArcSys sprites. Cheap blobby off-model crap with a poor sense of motion. Looks like they gave some 3D models a quickie rotoscope.

Dantis

The sprites look terrible, like all ArcSys sprites. Cheap blobby off-model crap with a poor sense of motion. Looks like they gave some 3D models a quickie rotoscope.

You do realise that's exactly what they did, right?

Which is why it bothers me so much that the characters don't look closer to Soejima's designs.

Zukuu

Banned

Atlus / Arc Sys is just too incompetent to secure a long lasting publishing deal with any of the european publishers. Arc Sys is at fault here I think tho, since they are the ones who fucking didn't chang 1 line of code and sent out the master.

Omikaru

Bomba Watch: Best price: £31.59, WowHD, both versions, limited edition.

£24.99 at Grainger Games.

PS3|360

Looks like they gave some 3D models a quickie rotoscope.

That's exactly what they did.

Nope. That's pretty much the heart of the problem, too. Hopefully their relationship with NISA in Europe will mean sooner releases. Ghostlight have gotten release dates down to about 4-5 weeks later than the US, so we know it's possible to get it done quickly.

Risette

A Good Citizen
You do realise that's exactly what they did, right?

Which is why it bothers me so much that the characters don't look closer to Soejima's designs.
Now I know.

It definitely looks like it. The sprites are pretty bad. They rotoscoped them and couldn't even bother to make them on-model? lol

oneida

Online warriors: the netcode is AAA, and you can customize your title very open-endedly. Mine's Kid Do Nothing But Clean Up.

Very similar.

It shows up in games though, which is really dumb.

I think your hate for this game is reaching critical mass.

Tetsuo%20-%20from%20Akira.gif

Don't go Tetsuo on us, Dantis!

Omikaru

Atlus better have EU publishing sorted for Persona 5 . This delay was absolutely ridiculous.

Never bank on timely Atlus releases. Plan to import and hope it's region free. Maybe the release date will be very close to the US one and you can support the local distributor (almost certainly NISA), but be ready for a wait otherwise.

I actually think I'd import a US console if it is region locked, mind. I really don't want to suffer through this again.

dan2026

The sprites don't look terrible to me, but the animation looks really stiff and awkward as if there isn't enough frames.

My biggest issue with the game is that Chie's VO sounds like she is from northern Canada.

I can't tell if it is the same VO from P4:The Animation but I don't like it.

I want old Chie Back :(

Go Back and listen to the old VO it sounds like a Old Women talking, I really dont care but new VO has grown on me. I though she was great in P4A

oneida

Third Strike, Vampire Savior and King of Fighters XIII are still the top contenders for FG sprite animation, yes?

Dantis

Third Strike, Vampire Savior and King of Fighters XIII are still the top contenders for FG sprite animation, yes?

Yup. None of those are HD though. HD Sprites take up a ton of RAM.

I think your hate for this game is reaching critical mass.

Haha, that happened like back in August. I'll try and keep it together though. ;)

I really do dislike most of what I've seen of the game though, and I've seen a fair old amount.

sephi22

Will this have a DD release in EU PSN stores?
I'm in the states now, and my PS3 is PAL. So my options are:
1. DD purchase
2. Import
3. Don't buy

I don't know if 1. and 2. are worth it seeing how they treated their fans

I remember Guilty Gear looking pretty good.

Guilty Gear is definitely one of their best series when it comes to 2D animation; it and the Blazblue series are ArcSys' babies. But even within those two series, they reign in the amount of detail on certain moves. The moves that characters depend on, like Johnny's Iai slashes or Ragna's drives, are usually very fluid, but some of their normal moves will have sparse animation. It's stuff like punches and kicks that just sort of come out in an instant, moves that hit multiple times but use one static frame, or big slabs of color that emulate quick swings and slashes - little stuff like that. It's just kind of their style. It's not like they're cutting corners or anything, it's more like a compromise between adding detail to the sprites and making sure that the controls are as tight as they want them to be.

It's a little more noticeable in the fighting games that they make for other companies, though. One could argue that when they made their Hokuto no Ken fighting game, they were just trying to match the show's style for everything, but I don't think that the same logic applies to Sengoku Basara X or Persona 4 Arena.

I think that every fighting game they've put out, save for the original Guilty Gear, is still more fluid than most of the other entries in the genre - I'm not really an animation buff, though, so I could be totally wrong.

Correct!

Yup. None of those are HD though. HD Sprites take up a ton of RAM.

Also correct!

Haha, that happened like back in August. I'll try and keep it together though. ;)

I really do dislike most of what I've seen of the game though, and I've seen a fair old amount.

Heh, I know people in real life that referenced your posts in the game's first OT. They lurk in a lot of forums, though, so it's not like you were truly infamous - you were just 'that guy who really doesn't like the game'.

shtkn

KOF13 sprites are more or less designed for a 480p screen. every time youve see kof12/13 sprites on an hd screen, the sprites are resized

KOFXII_vs_BlazBLue_sprites.png

Rhapsody

Banned
If that's accurate, I never would've guessed KoF XII/XIII's sprites were smaller than GG's.
Skullgirls #1

Was waiting for this response. SG's definitely up there.

And personally, I don't find the sprite-work too bad, but yeah, ASW needs to step it up.

oneida

So in terms of sprite size AND quality, KoF seems to have an upper hand.

I think P4A is more fun, though.

NotLiquid

KOF13 sprites are more or less designed for a 480p screen. every time youve see kof12/13 sprites on an hd screen, the sprites are resized

Might just be placebo on my part but isn't KOFXIII substantially smaller than KOFXII? The latter looked absolutely hideous when I played it because those sprites are clearly not made for big screens. In contrast I remember former looking far less worse and I could notice far less pixels. It made it all look so much smoother.

NEO0MJ

Might just be placebo on my part but isn't KOFXIII substantially smaller than KOFXII? The latter looked absolutely hideous when I played it because those sprites are clearly not made for big screens. In contrast I remember former looking far less worse and I could notice far less pixels. It made it all look so much smoother.

Yeah, KOF XII zoomed far too close to the characters.

Dantis

Heh, I know people in real life that referenced your posts in the game's first OT. They lurk in a lot of forums, though, so it's not like you were truly infamous - you were just 'that guy who really doesn't like the game'.

Oh dear, haha!

I.. er... really didn't like what I saw.

And now this Friday I get to see how accurate my thoughts were!

P4A is still my favorite fighter of the past few years. Too bad some character balance ruin it.

In terms of fighters for me its

3s> Sc2/MvC2/P4A > umvc3/SC5 > everything else

Fun facts: She is. Erin Fitzgerald was born in British Columbia, and is in fact the same VA who played Chie in P4A and Golden.

I personally like her better than the old voice actress (and Sam Riegel better as Teddie, for that matter), but the world don't move to the beat of one drum, I suppose.

I thought it sounded like she was. Its not that I don't like it, but I think her performance in The Animation is way better than Arena. Can't speak for Golden.

shtkn

So in terms of sprite size AND quality, KoF seems to have an upper hand.

I think P4A is more fun, though.

what do you mean by sprite size? kof13's are clearly smaller than bb's in the picture. or are you comparing to something else?

Dantis

http://youtu.be/0L3bjbsl11M?t=2m32s

"Now this vinyl I believe is a mockup" - wait, what?

I've stuck a preorder on it but doesn't that pretty make the item pretty much worthless?

Wait, what? Could you elaborate on what this means?

It doesn't mean it's an imitation, does it?

Yes the Vinyl in the video is a mock up. The actual release will have a real working vinyl record with music on it.

Ah. That's better then.

Oh wow the back of the vinyl has the fucking url for the "digital goodies" printed behind it. You can see it completely clearly in the video.

Not only is it worthless, it's not even exclusive.

Just tried the URL and it works. Is that worth putting in the OP? Is that against the rules? Is it legal?

Input please, chaps.

cj_iwakura

Now I know.

It definitely looks like it. The sprites are pretty bad. They rotoscoped them and couldn't even bother to make them on-model? lol

The backgrounds are gorgeous, if nothing else. But I love the sprite design too, so ymmv.

ArcSys backgrounds are always full of life, and P4A's are no exception.

Dantis

The backgrounds are gorgeous, if nothing else. But I love the sprite design too, so ymmv.

ArcSys backgrounds are always full of life, and P4A's are no exception.

The backgrounds are excellent. I'll agree with that at least. My only thing there is that the literal environments are so uncreative. Where is the Velvet Room? Or Tartarus? Or Gekkoukan?

akaoni

Banned
Yes the vinyl in the video is a mock up. The actual release will have a real working vinyl record with music on it. Everyone calm down.

Crisis averted, thanks.

Looking at the digital goodies, some of the images in there are OT worthy material.

Top Bottom