• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena |EU OT| Heartbeat, Heartbreak

dan2026

I literally don't understand what the hell happened with this game?

JP July 26, 2012
NA August 7, 2012
EU May 10, 2013

Just look at this crap. It took 12 days for the game to come from Japan to America.
Then it took 9 freaking months to make in to Europe!!!

If that isn't a giant 'fuck you!' to every European fan I don't know what is.
Its disgusting.

Lunar15

I don't blame anyone for not getting this after the atrocious region lock, but for what it's worth, the game is really fun. It's quick, flashy, and lenient enough to let newcomers ease into it.

But if you're worried about missing the story if you don't pick it up, I will say that it's not really crucial. If you were really jonesin' for it, just watch it on youtube.

Also: Nice OT, Dantis. The name is, unfortunately, perfect.

I literally don't understand what the hell happened with this game?

JP July 26, 2012
NA August 7, 2012
EU May 10, 2013

Just look at this crap. It took 12 days for the game to come from Japan to America.
Then it took 9 freaking months to make in to Europe!!!

If that isn't a giant 'fuck you!' to every European fan I don't know what is.
Its disgusting.

From what I understand, either Atlus or ArcSys sat on the game for most of those nine months, and gave Zen United nothing to work with. Considering ArcSys is the parent company of Zen United, I'd be inclined to blame Atlus for that.

Dantis

But if you're worried about missing the story if you don't pick it up, I will say that it's not really crucial. If you were really jonesin' for it, just watch it on youtube.

I'll just back this up, and say that I watched the story on Youtube and don't feel like I missed out on anything. HD and all.

It's also worth pointing out that the story is neither up to the standards of P3 and P4, nor particularly heavy on content. It's mostly fluff.

Also: Nice OT, Dantis. The name is, unfortunately, perfect.

Co-sign. Top flight OT Title!

I'll just back this up, and say that I watched the story on Youtube and don't feel like I missed out on anything. HD and all.

It's also worth pointing out that the story is neither up to the standards of P3 and P4, nor particularly heavy on content. It's mostly fluff.

There are story beats that matter, but yeah a lot of it is fluff. It's all going over one event too. They should've done it MK style.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Will buy second hand sometime soon. Normally rarely ever do this, but I'm not inclined to fully support this game after what they pulled.

Omikaru

From what I understand, either Atlus or ArcSys sat on the game for most of those nine months, and gave Zen United nothing to work with. Considering ArcSys is the parent company of Zen United, I'd be inclined to blame Atlus for that.

ASW are not the parent company of Zen United, as far as I understand. Zen is a company that licenses the brand(s) of Japanese companies and then masquerades as their European branch, either in a permanent capacity or from a business development standpoint. After the brand is established they either carry on that role, or act as a business development agency and pass the reigns on to the brand owner. This is also why they're also known as Arc System Works Europe.

Zen, as a brand, is rarely used, since they prefer to operate under their licensed brands like ASW Europe and Persona Europe, but I believe it is a privately held company and not a subsidiary of ASW.

Lunar15

Co-sign. Top flight OT Title!

There are story beats that matter, but yeah a lot of it is fluff. It's all going over one event too. They should've done it MK style.

I'm not quite sure if they do matter. We'll see if they release a follow up to this, or if the next one addresses it at all. But for right now, I don't think there's anything vital.

As much as I like this game, (I still play it!) I really think that if you're a Persona fan in Europe and you've made it this long, you're better off skipping this and holding out that P5 isn't a region locked mess. It's unfortunate, but probably the best way to send a message.

First i'm going to say that i predicted this turn of events since the day the NA version was annonced to be "locked" .i'm sad that i was right and i'm even sad that i was met with so many "disgusting comments" at the time from people who didn't care.

Second i do plan to play this game one day , but certainly not anytime soon. I understand that this game seems to be good but i can't accept region locking , especially for such petty reasons as the ones index corp used. It was a d**k move plain as simple.

I do hope that for the rest of their releases, they will be burdenned by " is this game region locked ?" as questions for eternity from fans and journalists because it's just unfair ..yes i'm bitter.

How many people supported the region locking move? A lot. They kept saying "lul, stop complaining, you'll get it in a few month. You're so entitled" and when it was confirmed that we were getting the game mid 2013 they said "why should I give a fuck? I got the game. Sucks to be you guys"

Of course, a lot of them used worse language to express their opinion. How can they not be a horrible fanbase?
I agree the treatment we got ( even from other fans ) was disgusting ..but that's internet ..People don't care unless it affect them in some way. This incident made me aware of such a fact . It was painfull but i've learned my lesson.
You're not even talking about a minority, but one within an already niche fanbase. A fringe.

I haven't seen any of that posted on GAF.
Selective memory ? or maybe you ignored the threads were people were talking about it?
It might be the case since the region lock case was put in other thread so that people that could play would be able to discuss the game . "free from seeing our troubles "

I don't think it will be. Altus doesn't usually include the Japanese voices, this was just a rare and very unfortunate exception.

I kinda feel sorry for Zen United tho. They're the ones who will be hurt the most by people deciding to skip out, and it's not even really their fault. :(
Zen united is not exempt of fault. i'll say it anytime this need to be said.
Even if they are not the one doing the work on the game, the fact that they are unable to pressure the ones programming to make the changes needed only show their incomptence.

Even then there is this (probably unfounded ) rumour stating that they were sitting on a workingcopy to release it in a situation were there wouldn't be so many blockbusters in order to sell more.

I dunno what is right But i sure know that 9 month wait shoudln't be allowed especially since they were getting ready to release the game initially weeks after the japanese release.
if everyone complains, it's a bandwagon witch hunt.
if some people complain they're super entitled bitter assholes.
when no-one complains it's not a problem, all hail the wise decisions of atlus.

But atlus can do no wrong , at least that's what everyone on their freaking foroms are telling me.
I've had the EU versions for a couple of weeks now; I can confirm both are region locked (I tried on NA PS3/360 - nothing else) if that means anything. Pretty funny, all things considered. The discs I have don't have a proper box or even proper disc print, so I can't check the actual region listing, sorry.

Game is great though. Story is real intriguing in terms of where Persona as a brand is going.

It's locked ? Then it's official i won't buy the game in retail.
I don't and i won't support region locking , especially on a game to game basis.

p4a2.png

:)

Korigama

It's locked ? Then it's official i won't buy the game in retail.
I don't and i won't support region locking , especially on a game to game basis.
The digital release will be as well, if the US version is anything to go by (the PSN release of P4A is also region-locked).

I'll buy this game used...and I never buy used.

I'm so tired of Atlus' bullshit (hello piles of buggy, unplayable DSOverclocked copies on european shelves).

At this point it's almost baffling we only had to wait a couple of months for P4G.

Next week, then?

Seriously though, we really should set up a bomba watch for this. I can't see it holding its price for longer than a month.

3 weeks, £18 from Zavvi.

Calling it.
Harsh truth

I'll buy this game used...and I never buy used.

I'm so tired of Atlus' bullshit (hello piles of buggy, unplayable DSOverclocked copies on european shelves).

At this point it's almost baffling we only had to wait a couple of months for P4G.

I know the feelign but i'll say this just in case , again while it's atlus that probably did the programming , part of the fault lies within ghostlight for DSOverclocked being buggy and crashing on release date.
That doesn't mean that the european treatment we get isn't horrible and not a VERY legitimate reason to be angry.

All this talk about used copies makes me wonder where you guys are gonna find them :p

Well the Gamestops near me usually have used copies of games during the first 24 hours of release :p And all the region-lock talk make me wish to see the reactions to a experiment:

What would publishers do if suddenly Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft uniformly announce that all their devices will be region-free as of now and there will be no way to identify the region of a console by software even if they try? Not that that will ever happen but it's just my morbid curiosity of a "what if" scenario :p

It's a shame you guys had to wait this long, it's easily Arc's best fighter since Guilty Gear XX Accent Core was released. It's so fun, and I think it's a lot better than BlazBlue.

PK Gaming

It's a shame you guys had to wait this long, it's easily Arc's best fighter since Guilty Gear XX Accent Core was released. It's so fun, and I think it's a lot better than BlazBlue.

agreed!

I just hope you guys are prepared for this
800px-P4Arena_Mitsuru_MyriadArrows.png

and some of this

800px-P4Arena_Kanji_ThisllHurt2.png

actually, just get to used to fighting the entire cast haha

PS: I love how innocuous the title is

Dantis

Man, I hate the sprites in this game so much, haha. They're animated in such a different style to Persona 3 and 4.

Conan-san

Give them no quarter.

No pence ether.

Every pound is a pound lost to freedom and given to the reddest of communism, bad capitalism.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I agree wholeheartedly. Different is not inherently bad.

In this case though, it is bad.

Naw the sprites are terrific, the animation is really stiff though.

The game behind it? Better than Persona 3 and 4

NotLiquid

Ahaha. This game is at the top 10 on all-time pre-orders at Sweden's biggest game retailer.

Actually reminds me that the store that broke the street date were placing the game at the top 8 spot or some such selling PS3 game before it got pulled off of the shelves.

I've seen some shit.

I disagree. The sprites look really nice and their colour palettes are super vibrant (<3 Eikichi Yosuke~).

I think you're kind of in the minority in this situation. It sucks that ArcSys screwed people over so badly in regards to this game and I agree that such practices should not be supported, but it's a fundamentally good game that would be worth full price had it been released in Europe last summer.

FluxWaveZ

I think this is the first time I've ever heard someone state that the sprites are bad other than those complaining about the more "cutesy" version of Chie. Most agree that they're great and so do I. I appreciate the attention to detail, as well.

Dantis

I think this is the first time I've ever heard someone state that the sprites are bad other than those complaining about the more "cutesy" version of Chie. Most agree that they're great and so do I. I appreciate the attention to detail, as well.

The colouring is all wrong, the faces are all wrong, the stances are all wrong, the animation is all wrong...

But I shouldn't get into this again.

My biggest issue with the game is that Chie's VO sounds like she is from northern Canada.

I can't tell if it is the same VO from P4:The Animation but I don't like it.

I want old Chie Back :(

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Unfortunately when it comes to animation I feel like P4A is some of the worst I've seen in any fighting game.

My biggest issue with the game is that Chie's VO sounds like she is from northern Canada.

I can't tell if it is the same VO from P4:The Animation but I don't like it.

I want old Chie Back :(

Fun facts: She is. Erin Fitzgerald was born in British Columbia, and is in fact the same VA who played Chie in P4A and Golden.

I personally like her better than the old voice actress (and Sam Riegel better as Teddie, for that matter), but the world don't move to the beat of one drum, I suppose.

Zukuu

Banned
I'll wait till I can get it used for cheap. Not supporting this kind of behavior by ArcSys and/or Atlus. You treat me like "second class"? I will treat you like "second hand".

Top Bottom