• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena |EU OT| Heartbeat, Heartbreak

akaoni

Banned

I was beaten...

Anyway They wouldn't be GAME if they didn't managed to fuck it up somehow, the outer sleeve corner has taken a knock and there's 2 small crease lines. Won't be buying from them again.

There goes my profiteering plans. I'm finding it difficult to sell the game now that's in my hands. I've skipped out so many games this gen for pissing me off but I don't want to wait for this one to die/everyone to learn the ropes before I do. First world problems.

Omikaru

Sorry, I don't like this game. Story mode sucks, constant monologues describing every minute feeling is annoying. Labrys sucks. Fighting is too fast, so I don't even know what's going on.

Don't like this game one bit. Going to trade it in tomorrow, I think.

GAME screwed me over. I received a shipping notification on Tuesday, and the post has come and gone... no sign of it.

Happy/mad to see others get theirs.

Dantis

Sorry, I don't like this game. Story mode sucks, constant monologues describing every minute feeling is annoying. Labrys sucks. Fighting is too fast, so I don't even know what's going on.

Jeepers.

Money well spent then.

Also I totally warned you.

Omikaru

Jeepers.

Money well spent then.

Also I totally warned you.

GAME are offering £20, or £25 with digital cards like PSN, eShop and whatever. May just trade for a PSN card and get Ni No Kuni. At least then I'm only £5 down from this disaster.

Dantis

GAME are offering £20, or £25 with digital cards like PSN, eShop and whatever. May just trade for a PSN card and get Ni No Kuni. At least then I'm only £5 down from this disaster.

I just thought, how would you feel about sending me your Arrange OST (Assuming you can trade in the game without it?

Absolutely serious.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

Sorry you didn't like it man. Do you dislike fighting games in general? I'm interested if people who dislike this game only went into it for the Persona branding.

Anyway They wouldn't be GAME if they didn't managed to fuck it up somehow, the outer sleeve corner has taken a knock and there's 2 small crease lines. Won't be buying from them again.

I was/am still worried about this. I've ordered records for years from online music stores who have mostly perfected the pristine delivery of a record down to a fine art, because they realise how delicate they are. I can't quite see GAME's backroom staff affording a similar amount of care to these records, frankly I'm expecting mine to arrive jammed inside a DVD jiffy bag somehow or other.

Omikaru

Sorry you didn't like it man. Do you dislike fighting games in general? I'm interested if people who dislike this game only went into it for the Persona branding.

No, I quite like fighting games. It's Arc System Works fighters I don't like. I was hoping this one would be different because they'd have to appeal to Persona fans too (which is, admittedly, why I bought it -- if it was any other ASW game I'd have dodged it like the plague), which I'm a fan of, but it's not. It's just an incomprehensible mess on my TV that I can't follow. I may give it another try tonight, but I'm not feeling this one.

I'd have trudged through if the story was good, but what I've seen is terrible. I don't like it one bit.

oneida

IMO it's much less hectic than Marvel, but I don't think either series is difficult to follow. I personally love the frantic pace of P4A.

Sorry to see you go, soldier.

Omikaru

Well, I hate MvC too, so there you go.
KuGsj.gif

No, I quite like fighting games. It's Arc System Works fighters I don't like. I was hoping this one would be different because they'd have to appeal to Persona fans too (which is, admittedly, why I bought it -- if it was any other ASW game I'd have dodged it like the plague), which I'm a fan of, but it's not. It's just an incomprehensible mess on my TV that I can't follow. I may give it another try tonight, but I'm not feeling this one.

I'd have trudged through if the story was good, but what I've seen is terrible. I don't like it one bit.

I mean, I dont want to prove Dantis right, but he HAS been bitching for months that it was an Arcsys game with a Persona skin. He is right there. Don't see how you couldn't have noticed that. If you had asked me at any point if it was like all the other Arcsys fighters, I could have told you that. I am actually sort of saddened that we couldn't have saved your money.

What system did you get it on Omikaru? If it's 360 I could buy your copy if you're interested.
That way I'm not supporting this mess and helping a GAFfer out.

Omikaru

Just wondering, what fighting games do you like?

SF2, 3, & 4 and all the many variations are my favourites. In particular I love SF2, but they're all great games and whenever I feel like playing a fighter I always play one of those.
DOA 3, 4 & 5 are okay for mindless fun.
I've played a few Tekken games down a friend's place and enjoyed those, but never enough to buy any of them.
Wasn't particularly a fan of SF x T when I played it, decided not to buy it.
I quite liked the new Mortal Kombat.
I may get Injustice, but I want to try the demo first.

Of the fighting games I've played which I don't like, it's Blazblue, Marvel vs Capcom 2, and so far P4 Arena.

I'm being harassed on the PersonaGAF IRC about this, so they've talked me into giving it more of a try, but I generally know when I'm not enjoying a game.

What system did you get it on Omikaru? If it's 360 I could buy your copy if you're interested.
That way I'm not supporting this mess and helping a GAFfer out.

PS3, sorry dude.

Roto13

Labrys' story is good, but the rest of the story mode sucks. Incidentally, Labrys is also the only character whose story takes place before the TV world stuff, which is boring mostly because it's the same story told from tons of only very slightly different points of view.

I like the game, but the story mode does indeed suck. You should probably play through Labrys' mode (which actually doesn't have any fighting in it, but it's a good story) and then maybe Yu's (just to get an ending) but the rest is pretty optional.

It is really interesting to see how opinion turned on story mode, it was pretty well liked at us launch

remember you cant just beat one story, you get a to be continued and you cant do the other half till later.

akaoni

Banned
First impressions; a tutorial with 46 steps for what feels like lots of mechanics-bloat. I was under the impression that this was supposed to be newbie friendly, and while there's the auto combo to make me feel good, and the quarter circles are very forgiving, I steel feel like it's a game from the early 90's with the archaic 2D fighter controls, but those are a necessary evil or else we would just be spsmming specials all day having tried those easy input gems in SFxT. So honestly speaking I can deal with the controls, but there's so many mechanics and 'subsystems' that it's fairly overwhelming, I had the same problem with Blazblue having tried the tutorial in that game on multiple occasions and ended up never playing a single match - not even CPU. May I have permission to say that every 3D fighter is far less overwhelming than this? I'll see how it goes though if I can find some enjoyment in playing other eejits.

Side note, I played a game and the voices were bugged I think, only my character had JP voice while both the opponent and the announcer had English, jarring to say the least.

Roto13

It is really interesting to see how opinion turned on story mode, it was pretty well liked at us launch

It's like BlazBlue's story mode except everyone is doing the exact same thing. :p At least in BlazBlue, everyone's on their own little adventure. In P4A, everyone's on the same adventure. It would have been better if it was just one big story mode that covered all of the characters instead of being broken up into a dozen smaller ones.
Elizabeth's story mode is probably my favorite. Plus, the Persona 3 character story modes are interesting if one has an interest in the P3 characters.

Yeah, Elizabeth's is kind of different, too, because she's there for her own reasons. (Plus, Elizabeth is just awesome in general.) I wasn't too big on the Persona 3 characters' stories. It was cool to get some mini sequel stuff to Persona 3, but... meh.

oneida

SF2, 3, & 4 and all the many variations are my favourites. In particular I love SF2, but they're all great games and whenever I feel like playing a fighter I always play one of those.
DOA 3, 4 & 5 are okay for mindless fun.
I've played a few Tekken games down a friend's place and enjoyed those, but never enough to buy any of them.
Wasn't particularly a fan of SF x T when I played it, decided not to buy it.
I quite liked the new Mortal Kombat.
I may get Injustice, but I want to try the demo first.

Of the fighting games I've played which I don't like, it's Blazblue, Marvel vs Capcom 2, and so far P4 Arena.

I'm being harassed on the PersonaGAF IRC about this, so they've talked me into giving it more of a try, but I generally know when I'm not enjoying a game.

It's probably best described as an amalgamation of BlazBlue and Marvel, so I can see why you wouldn't like it.

BUT

I could see you enjoying it if you get accustomed to the pace of it, because it is in my opinion a very solid fighter with some neat ideas, high damage combos and slick presentation.

First impreesions:; a tutorial with 46 steps for what feels like lots of mechsnics-bloat. I was under the impression Thanet this was supposed to be newbie friendly, and while there's the auto combo to make me feel good, and the quarter circle are very forgiving, I steel feel like it's a game from the early 90's with the archaic 2D fighter controls, but those are a necessary evil or else we would just be spsmming specials all day having tried those easy input gems in SFxT. So honestly speaking I can deal with the controls, but there's so many mechanics and 'subsystems' that's fairly overwhelming, I had the same problem with Blazblue having tried the tutorial in that game on multiple occasions and never playing a single match - not even CPU. May I have permission to say that every 3D fighter is far less overwhelming than this? I'll see how it goes though if I can find some enjoyment in playing other eejits.

Side note, I played a game and the voices were bugged I think, only my character had JP voice while both the opponent and the announcer had English, jarring to say the least.

Each fighter has their characters set to the voice they have chose. It has always been this way with Arcsys fighters online. I wish it wasn't so I wouldn't have to BEAR with JP Teddie and Rise.

WAIT WAIT WAIT..
Does this game have a significant story mode? Ie. Different story for each character?!
If so, I have a Flubit deal for £22 - so count me in.

(Seriously, does it really have a proper story mode?)

Dantis

remember you cant just beat one story, you get a to be continued and you cant do the other half till later.

Eventually, everybody realises that Dantis was right.

My skepticism is unclouded by hype.

Elizabeth's story mode is probably my favorite. Plus, the Persona 3 character story modes are interesting if one has an interest in the P3 characters.

The ending to Elizabeth's story is so lame. Eye roll of the decade.

WAIT WAIT WAIT..
Does this game have a significant story mode? Ie. Different story for each character?!

It does but it flubs it with the main 4 Persona 4 characters essentially having the same story. The less important Persona 4 characters, the Persona 3 characters, and Labrys have more interesting stories.

oneida

First impreesions:; a tutorial with 46 steps for what feels like lots of mechsnics-bloat. I was under the impression Thanet this was supposed to be newbie friendly, and while there's the auto combo to make me feel good, and the quarter circle are very forgiving, I steel feel like it's a game from the early 90's with the archaic 2D fighter controls, but those are a necessary evil or else we would just be spsmming specials all day having tried those easy input gems in SFxT. So honestly speaking I can deal with the controls, but there's so many mechanics and 'subsystems' that's fairly overwhelming, I had the same problem with Blazblue having tried the tutorial in that game on multiple occasions and never playing a single match - not even CPU. May I have permission to say that every 3D fighter is far less overwhelming than this? I'll see how it goes though if I can find some enjoyment in playing other eejits.

To not get overwhelmed, I'm sure you can get by just fine competitively just understanding sweeps (down A+B), all out attacks (A+B, MAHSHMAHSMSHAMASH), DPs (B+D) and bursts (A+C+D). Leave the rolls, air-turns, hops and one more cancels on the back burner for now and start playing with them when you're more comfortable with the game.

Roto13

WAIT WAIT WAIT..

It has a visual novel type story mode that mostly tells the same story from each characters' perspective. It's kind of interesting for a while, but once you finish Yu's story and move on to, say, Yosuke's and see that it's the same thing just with more whining, it starts to get old.

Eventually, everybody realises that Dantis was right.

My skepticism is unclouded by hype.

Well if you just go through life hating everything, eventually you'll hate on something worthy of being hated.

It does but it flubs it with the main 4 Persona 4 characters essentially having the same story. The less important Persona 4 characters, the Persona 3 characters, and Labrys have more interesting stories.

Is this how you unlock characters? I do love me a fighter where you unlock characters..

^All characters are unlocked in every mode except story mode. You have to unlock it there.

It has a visual novel type story mode that mostly tells the same story from each characters' perspective. It's kind of interesting for a while, but once you finish Yu's story and move on to, say, Yosuke's and see that it's the same thing just with more whining, it starts to get old.

They mess up the thing I just mentioned that you kind of have to finish a bit of stories before you can see the ending of one

oneida

Is this how you unlock characters? I do love me a fighter where you unlock characters..

No

Character unlocks are very annoying for the competitive scene, so they're pretty much a thing of the past (although SCV still had 'em!). Imagine you're running a local tournament, you've got 15 360s and you've gotta beat KoF five times or whatever to unlock the cast on each Xbox. It's annoying!

It is really interesting to see how opinion turned on story mode, it was pretty well liked at us launch.

I think it's what Edgar Wright refers to as "Popcorn Logic." As time passes after someone plays the story, they begin to notice imperfections or flaws that they didn't catch in the moment, until they're disassembling the entire story from the bottom up and crying false on moments that everyone else (and even they, in the moment) enjoyed (*coughcough* Dantis).

It's not an awful story; or even a bad one. It's just mediocre, which is a real shame considering the high standard of writing established by the previous Persona games.

That didn't really bother me much.

Me either, but remember, you are suggesting to people that they just finish Yu's and Labrys. You cant exactly do that remember? I like this story mode more than most now it seems, odd, since I thought it was pretty good, there was people who liked it way more than me, but I dont see that anymore.

BTW, I will say, P4 didnt exactly have a strong story. What it had, was strong characters.

Dantis

I think it's what Edgar Wright refers to as "Popcorn Logic." As time passes after someone plays the story, they begin to notice imperfections or flaws that they didn't catch in the moment, until they're disassembling the entire story from the bottom up and crying false on moments that everyone else (and even they, in the moment) enjoyed (*coughcough* Dantis).

It's not an awful story; or even a bad one. It's just mediocre, which is a real shame considering the high standard of writing established by the previous Persona games.

Doesn't really apply to me. I disliked it from the start. It's just not for me.

Me either, but remember, you are suggesting to people that they just finish Yu's and Labrys. You cant exactly do that remember? I like this story mode more than most now it seems, odd, since I thought it was pretty good, there was people who liked it way more than me, but I dont see that anymore.

BTW, I will say, P4 didnt exactly have a strong story. What it had, was strong characters.

Careful, when I said this I got accused of saying the series has bad writing in general (Which is absolutely not true). ;)

Sophia

Buddha's right tho. P4's story is not really it's strongpoint. It's characters are, and their stories were wrapped up in P4. Coincidentally, the P4 cast members have the weaker stories in P4A.

Doesn't really apply to me. I disliked it from the start. It's just not for me.

Careful, when I said this I got accused of saying the series has bad writing in general (Which is absolutely not true). ;)

While P4 does not have as strong writing as P2, I will say its pretty damn good.

Shahed

Story mode that bad? It's the only reason I want the game...

Top Bottom