• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena |EU OT| Heartbeat, Heartbreak

Kurtofan

P4Arena_Chie_SkullCracker.png

Huh what's going on here.

Andrefpvs

I still haven't started story mode, but if I understand correctly each character has their own story? If that's so, is there a preferential order in which to experience the stories? Or will the game guide me through this?

(no spoilers please)

FluxWaveZ

I still haven't started story mode, but if I understand correctly each character has their own story? If that's so, is there a preferential order in which to experience the stories? Or will the game guide me through this?

(no spoilers please)

Each character has their own story mode except for Shadow Labrys. Only four of them are available at the start and the other ones are unlocked once you go through certain ones. There isn't really an order to go through, but Yu, Yosuke, Chie and Yukiko's story modes are very similar while the rest are rather different.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I think after owning this game for almost a year I have only completed Yu's story. I have spent 99% of my my time in trial combos/training mode/offline vs/online ranked in that order.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Teddie is great for scrubby online play.
I'm an expert.

FUCK HIS SUPER.

That stupid three ring ball thing. JUST FUCK IT. Stupid attack has to have you air dash and still get hit. Bullshit.

I cant believe that out of all the extra modes Blazblue games have, the one to go into P4A, out of all of those, it is UNLIMITED MARS, what a blunder.

tumblr_mb8qvkPcS91ri5k6ko1_500.gif

Omikaru

So uhh...

PERSONA EUROPE'S SWAG-A-LICIOUS CROSS-DRESSING COMPO!
You can all thank/blame Chris Winters for the theme of this one.

In the interest of creating a competition that nobody can cheat at and, in the spirit of Persona 4, we want you to dress as members of the opposite sex - while maintaining Yu's legendary level of swag - and then send us your photos!

You don't HAVE to cosplay if you don't want to (as in, you don't need to dress as P4A characters) all we ask is that you follow these simple rules!

THE RULES!

1/
Take a photograph of yourself dressed as a man (if you're a girl) or a woman (if you're a boy).

2/
Think of a Persona 4 Arena-style name for yourself. e.g - Chie's 'Carnivore who discarded womanhood'. Which, er, is surprisingly apt for this competition

3/
Download one of the P4A frames from here:

Landscape:
http://www.personaeurope.com/Landscape_Frame.png

Portrait:
http://www.personaeurope.com/Portrait_Frame.png

Then add your photo and your 'P4A name'.
(it should look something like the one in this photo!)

4/
Send your photo to me at info@zen-united.biz
ALL entries MUST have the subject header 'P4A COMPETITION'.

I must have all entries by 9am GMT on Monday the 13th of May.

Only one photo per Person.

5/
On Monday the 13th of May I will upload the photos to this page - ready for the public vote, so we can see which is the most popular.

I will judge 'popularity' by the following criteria:
A 'Share' is worth 3 points.
A 'Like' is worth 1 point.

The ten most popular pictures by 10am GMT on Friday the 17th will win a Persona 4 Arena Limited Edition (PAL) on the format of their choice.

In the very unlikely even of a tie, tied entries will be judged by which was emailed to me the earliest.

6/
Judges decision - in this case, you guys, is final.

Good Luck everyone!

Bolded is me. What have I done?

Omikaru

My copy from ShopTo, which shipped yesterday, arrived today. Hope all the other ShopTo customers got theirs today. :)

Omikaru

"Previously rented (774)"

Holy shit. I know not all of those are games, but fucking hell you weren't lying when you said you took advantage of LoveFilm. I bet you're going to hate next-gen if they kill used/rental games.

So, after three or so hours with it, it's basically Blazblue where you can dash and actually do combos without picking a shapeless blob for a character. So it's infinitely better than Blazblue.

Has a lot of the same problems outside of the fighting system, though. The story mode asks a lot of time of you for a story that's ostensibly very simple, and worse, restricted to one location. Even Blazblue had tons of side characters and locations that encouraged (but perhaps not necessitated) swathes of dialogue. In light of something like Skullgirls, which had roughly the same amount of content but was released with a lower price tag, and Mortal Kombat, which was chock full of features, I'm honestly not sure this game was worth the full asking price, even without taking the extended delay into account. Call me shrewd.

Still, the beginning of the story successfully conveys the feeling of nostalgia that it's shooting for, and that Yu reflects. But even that tells less of this game and more of Persona 4's brilliant writing and characterization.

Damn, I really liked that game.

Dantis

"Previously rented (774)"

Holy shit. I know not all of those are games, but fucking hell you weren't lying when you said you took advantage of LoveFilm. I bet you're going to hate next-gen if they kill used/rental games.

Told you. ;)

Not to sound hyperbolic, but it would probably kill me.

So, after three or so hours with it, it's basically Blazblue where you can dash and actually do combos without picking a shapeless blob for a character. So it's infinitely better than Blazblue.

Has a lot of the same problems outside of the fighting system, though. The story mode asks a lot of time of you for a story that's ostensibly very simple, and worse, restricted to one location. Even Blazblue had tons of side characters and locations that encouraged (but perhaps not necessitated) swathes of dialogue. In light of something like Skullgirls, which had roughly the same amount of content but was released with a lower price tag, and Mortal Kombat, which was chock full of features, I'm honestly not sure this game was worth the full asking price, even without taking the extended delay into account. Call me shrewd.

Still, the beginning of the story successfully conveys the feeling of nostalgia that it's shooting for, and that Yu reflects. But even that tells less of this game and more of Persona 4's brilliant writing and characterization.

Damn, I really liked that game.

I warned you bro. The story is pretty trash. I'm not sure how everyone so easily overlooks the terrible presentation and frankly poor writing (Relative to the actual games, at least).

Jintor

I warned you bro. The story is pretty trash. I'm not sure how everyone so easily overlooks the terrible presentation and frankly poor writing (Relative to the actual games, at least).

I don't overlook it man, I assure you. It's junk food aspiring to something more.

By the way I saw it in JBHi-Fi today. $70. Fuck that shit.

Omikaru

The controls on this annoy me. So many techniques with obscure names, which makes it awkward to learn because my short term memory is so terrible. Controls are especially bad on my arcade stick (FightStick TE), and I can't find a layout that I'm comfortable with, especially when it comes to the 3 button moves. I expected this so I'm not disappointed; it's pretty much how I've felt about every ASW fighter, so I doubt I'll bother playing online much. Just not my thing.

I guess there's still story mode...

Edit: I just explained it best in IRC.

I get frustrated by in-game jargon -- that doesn't matter whatever the genre is -- and ASW games use it a lot. It also doesn't help that my short-term memory is junk and I struggle to remember jargon terms and their function, which on top of actually learning it makes it even more annoying. That and the three button moves, plus me coming from a Street Fighter background make learning this game incredibly frustrating.

Shito

Controls are especially bad on my arcade stick (FightStick TE), and I can't find a layout that I'm comfortable with, especially when it comes to the 3 button moves.
Hmmmm, I don't get this. The default layout for the TE is quite perfect in my opinion, it just needs a little getting used to it. The square layout for the 4 buttons makes a lot of sense, and you even have shortcuts for the 3 button inputs.
Even with a SF background, it really only takes a little willingness to adapt.

Omikaru

Hmmmm, I don't get this. The default layout for the TE is quite perfect in my opinion, it just needs a little getting used to it. The square layout for the 4 buttons makes a lot of sense, and you even have shortcuts for the 3 button inputs.
Even with a SF background, it really only takes a little willingness to adapt.

I find it annoying and really doesn't make any sense when I'm playing the game. I don't even want this to be like an SF layout because I tried that and it's even worse.

I'm going to try

ACD
B

and see how I get along with that.

If I like that, then all I have to do is learn the in-game jargon. That should be fun. If I had more motivation, I'd campaign for clear English in fighting games. :p

Omikaru

I can't remember what furious is, so I'll cross that bridge when I get there. The other option is assigning one of my other buttons to furious if it becomes a nuisance.

Shito

Furious action is the "universal dragon-punch" move. Depending on the character it's not always a dragon-punch per se, but rather a "get the fuck out of me" move.
It's pretty important.
Unless you're playing Liz or Labrys. ^^

Omikaru

My current layout is much better, I feel. It's letting me do combos more comfortably, which is a start. Now to see how I get on with other techniques.

As for the jargon moves and their application, I'm probably just going to have to suck it up and learn. Slowly.
KuGsj.gif

7threst

Told you. ;)

Not to sound hyperbolic, but it would probably kill me.

I admit that the story is pretty meh, but somehow it's really cool seeing all the characters from a game I really like in a new/continued story, even though it isn't Persona quality.

Going through Chie's story, it is surprisingly nice to get a glimpse into the first person psyche of the other characters, especially when they're interacting with Y(o)u. Chie's first fight, where
Yu is saying how belligerent and misguided she is, leading Chie to question how much was lost in Yu's time away
, is pretty good.

Still, Yu being led definition and character of his own devices means he falls into the obvious trap of contradicting player mood and choices made in the original story. Most blank slate protagonists of this sort tend to have very neutral, middle of the road personalities, or solemn, calm ones, when control is taken away from the player in order to reinforce the loose, yet malleable, hand they have on the story. However, Yu stands out just a bit too much.

He's portrayed as the leader, which is consistent with what we were shown and told in P4, but he's quick with a snappy joke, a characteristic too bombastic to fit with the generic conservative style. The anime suffered the exact same problem.

Meia

I don't mind Yu having a personality like that. Always got, even as a silent protagonist, that he's more friendly/socialable than P3's. Him telling jokes and stuff, especially to Yosuke, fits to me and speaks more of all of their relationship than anything else.

The story being the same for everyone does hurt playing through it all at once which you're encouraged to do, but it's still appreciated getting everyone's thoughts on things as they happen. Only bad thing is because it can't be a long story, they have to condense characters to some easy to label traits(Chie - "DID YOU SAY STEAKS?!"). Thankfully, they do touch on some of the things that made the characters deep at least, just was a small focus unfortunately.

Anyway, time to actually start learning the game/playing online. Probably the last chance I have to do so with some new blood in.

T.O.P

Banned
Anybody up tonight for some matches on the 360?

Haven't played this in a while since my connection sucked against NA peeps

Well, I'm confused.

There's been criticism over Chie's growing penchant for steak, but Golden and the anime would have you believe that it's an affable personality trait that everyone in the story loves. But if you chase it in Arena, you get the bad ending and all of your team mates hate you. Is it a lovable trait or not? Make up your damn minds!

Or maybe I'm just bitter at this meaningless multiple choice system. Which, again, I hated in Blazblue.

Meia

Well, I'm confused.

There's been criticism over Chie's growing penchant for steak, but Golden and the anime would have you believe that it's an affable personality trait that everyone in the story loves. But if you chase it in Arena, you get the bad ending and all of your team mates hate you. Is it a lovable trait or not? Make up your damn minds!

Or maybe I'm just bitter at this meaningless multiple choice system. Which, again, I hated in Blazblue.

Bad endings are bad mostly because instead of doing what you're supposed to do, you succumb to your desires and chase after it. In other words, like with Chie, instead of protecting people, you want steak. Her bad ending was really uncomfortable with how everyone treats you, but it makes sense.

At any rate, I think there's only 3 bad endings anyway, and you have to see them to get 100% story completion.

Top Bottom