• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena |EU OT| Heartbeat, Heartbreak

Omikaru

Won my first online fight by mashing buttons (I still haven't played lesson mode). I'm terrible at fighters. :3

Also, the trophy list appears to be global (shared with N. America and Japan). It's also named "Persona 4 ARENA Trophy", which annoys me to no end.

The game seems to be really good, but I'll put Story mode on hold until I finish my second playthrough of Persona 4 Golden (need to see Margaret's NG+ content for the first time).

Interesting that the trophy list is global; Atlus games normally have a separate trophy list per region.

As far as them having the "Trophy" bit at the end, I think most Atlus games do that. And yeah, it's super annoying.

Andrefpvs

Grats! winning in P4A feels so good. Part of me even enjoys when people ragequit during an instant kill animation.

Thanks! It was the first fight for my opponent as well, so it was kinda funny to watch who of us could be the least terrible, haha.

As far as them having the "Trophy" bit at the end, I think most Atlus games do that. And yeah, it's super annoying.

Sony shouldn't allow that. In fact, when PS4 comes, they should visit every trophy list on their database and fix the offending entries!

Another bit of random info: the bonus audio CD comes inside the blu-ray disc box (over the manual), which causes some pressure on the box since it doesn't fit very well. I recommend leaving the CD case out of the box after opening the game for the first time.

Geneijin

Is that the L1 attack?
P4Arena_Chie_SkullCracker.png

Venfayth

Yukiko's auto combo moves her forward :(

Just don't play Liz. :(

If you play Liz, mash maziodyne. But you may get some hate mail :D

Liz is all about the mindfuck. She has so many dirty setups and mixup options. Too bad its really persona reliant and thus you have to protect your persona.

Yukiko stand A is great. One of the best since you can jump cancel it. So its a decent AA or simple pressure string since you can go 5AA jumpcancel airturn forward dash (so you move back further) airturn fan throw. Or you could just do the gimmicky 5AA jump cancel into ambiguous crossup air A (doesn't work on good players).

Important things to learn with yukiko is her "unblockable" setups, jump airturn forward dash airturn (again) fan move, fire trap placement and knowing the range of your persona attacks.

5C is so fucking good with her.

Part of her game is punishing those taking stocks from her. Just watch Damosu play.

Yeah the problem is what happens when she runs out of persona cards to gamble. That is pretty much the main reason why she is low tier. If she didn't have to deal with persona cards then she would most definitely be up there in tiers.

Andrefpvs

IGNORE DANTIS THEN.

I'm pretty sure A is Square. Try that. See if it works.

Oh no! I missed your post! Will do tomorrow, thanks :)

Liz is all about the mindfuck. She has so many dirty setups and mixup options. Too bad its really persona reliant and thus you have to protect your persona.

Yukiko stand A is great. One of the best since you can jump cancel it. So its a decent AA or simple pressure string since you can go 5AA jumpcancel airturn forward dash (so you move back further) airturn fan throw. Or you could just do the gimmicky 5AA jump cancel into ambiguous crossup air A (doesn't work on good players).

Important things to learn with yukiko is her "unblockable" setups, jump airturn forward dash airturn (again) fan move, fire trap placement and knowing the range of your persona attacks.

5C is so fucking good with her.

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm a fighting game newbie. I have no idea what you mean by 5AA or 5C or jumpcancel airturn and so on :(

Geneijin

So the X button on PS3? I still haven't memorised which button does what :)
It's Skull Cracker after Rampage.

Yeah the problem is what happens when she runs out of persona cards to gamble. That is pretty much the main reason why she is low tier. If she didn't have to deal with persona cards then she would most definitely be up there in tiers.
She's low tier because of her unreliable defensive options, not because she's worse than Labrys and Yukiko.

Oh no! I missed your post! Will do tomorrow, thanks :)

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm a fighting game newbie. I have no idea what you mean by 5AA or 5C or jumpcancel airturn and so on :(

jump cancel is when you cancel your animation into a jumping action.

5A is stand A. (anime games tend to use the numpad notation, look at your keyboards numpad. 5 is in the middle thus 5A is neutral A. likewise 2A is down A.)

air turn is pressing the two buttons that changes what way your character is facing in the air.

5C is stand C.

It's Skull Cracker after Rampage.

She's low tier because of her unreliable defensive options, not because she's worse than Labrys and Yukiko.

She would have more defensive options if she didn't have to worry about losing her persona cards. The thing is all you need to do is just tag the persona until she runs out of cards and then you just RTSD.

Chie has little defensive options but that doesn't stop her from being high tier. What does Chie have beside her parry? Wakeup godfist?

edit
Actually Aigis doesn't even have good wakeup options either. She has only DP and super.

Thanks for the explanation.

Holy crap, this notation is either genius or unnecessarily complicated!

for anime games it helps a ton since there are a lot of special inputs. For instance 4B 5B and 6B are different from each other for yukiko. Same goes for 4/5/6D and 1/2/3 D.

Because each command is different you have to make note of it. SF/Marvel don't really have that many different special commands.

So "up+right" would be 9, is that how it works?

yes

edit

It assumes you are always on the P1 side.

Sophia

So "up+right" would be 9, is that how it works?

Correct. However that keep in mind that "right" in this case could mean "Forward" (if you're on the left side of the screen facing your opponent who's on the right) or "Backwards" (if you're on the right side of the screen facing your opponent who's on the left.)

Usually notations are given assuming you're on the Player 1 side. So 9 in this case would "Up + Forward"

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Holy crap, this notation is either genius or unnecessarily complicated!
It's used in like every FG community except Capcom stuff for some reason. Most common in games which use single directions more often than gestures - like VF or Tekken.

Andrefpvs

Thanks everyone, hopefully I won't suck that much when I start playing for real. One more question: on PS3, Dpad or Analog Stick?

It's used in like every FG community except Capcom stuff for some reason. Most common in games which use single directions more often than gestures - like VF or Tekken.

capcom games don't use it because they don't need it. There aren't that many different special commands. I mean in marvel down A is pretty much the same in any direction. There are exceptions but there aren't many.

Solune

She would have more defensive options if she didn't have to worry about losing her persona cards. The thing is all you need to do is just tag the persona until she runs out of cards and then you just RTSD.

Chie has little defensive options but that doesn't stop her from being high tier. What does Chie have beside her parry? Wakeup godfist?

edit
Actually Aigis doesn't even have good wakeup options either. She has only DP and super.

Most characters without their persona are usually sitting ducks, except for probably Mitsuru and Akihiko.

Chie is a high tier character primarily because of her offensive options, not her defensive options. In general Elizabeth has difficulty making her strings safe at close range while pushing her opponent out. She also requires SP to make opponents respect her attacks. Chie doesn't need to establish space like zoning characters and while she has you pinned down, she's free to perform her high low game + 5A tick throws.

Elizabeth also has the worst R-Action in the game.

Aigis' R-Action can be super cancelled, and her Awakened Super is +block, she SHOULDN'T have good wakeup options in the first place when she has the best High Low damage combo in the game.

Sophia

Thanks everyone, hopefully I won't suck that much when I start playing for real. One more question: on PS3, Dpad or Analog Stick?

Depends on the character you play. Some are easy enough with the stick, but you're probably gonna want the D-Pad for superiority.

Also, while we're on the topic. The default button layout is:

A (Light Attack) is Square
B (Strong Attack) is Cross / X
C (Persona Attack) is Triangle
D (Persona Special) is Circle.

Geneijin

Why else do you think most good Liz players want to use play at full screen and do Persona punish baits in the corner at 5B range? It's not that easy to rush Liz down compared to Yukiko. And it's easy for someone like Yu to. Yu can against anybody.

edit
Chie is high tier because like the other top tiers in the game, it's not easy dealing with their shit compared to the lower tiers.

Most characters without their persona are usually sitting ducks, except for probably Mitsuru and Akihiko.

Chie is a high tier character primarily because of her offensive options, not her defensive options. In general Elizabeth has difficulty making her strings safe at close range while pushing her opponent out. She also requires SP to make opponents respect her attacks. Chie doesn't need to establish space like zoning characters and while she has you pinned down, she's free to perform her high low game + 5A tick throws.

Elizabeth also has the worst R-Action in the game.

Thought that was labs/slabs?

I understand why Chie and Aigis are high tier characters, but saying a person defensive option sucks thus they are low tier is wrong. Ibuki in SF4 has only 1 wakeup option and that is with meter. Doesn't stop her from being top 5.

Also while a good portion of the cast suck without their persona, they aren't really in danger of getting persona broken (exception is yukiko I guess). Chie, Mitsuru, Yu, Yosuke, Aigis, Naoto to an extent, and etc aren't putting their persona at risk to establish their gameplan. When they use their persona its generally in a safe situation.

Chie is high tier because like the other top tiers in the game, it's not easy dealing with their shit compared to the lower tiers.

I know that Chie is high tier. The arguement I am stating is that having bad defensive option isn't a reason enough to be considered low tier.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I was always a rebel and ditched the official 2x2 layout in favor of the SNK layout. I still swear by it- I don't have to move my hand to hit D and because I have a finger on each button at all times, button combinations are pie.

Solune

Thought that was labs/slabs?
I mean opinions will differ, but I don't really see how Labs can be worse than Liz's.
I understand why Chie and Aigis are high tier characters, but saying a person defensive option sucks thus they are low tier is wrong. Ibuki in SF4 has only 1 wakeup option and that is with meter. Doesn't stop her from being top 5.

Also while a good portion of the cast suck without their persona, they aren't really in danger of getting persona broken (exception is yukiko I guess). Chie, Mitsuru, Yu, Yosuke, Aigis, Naoto to an extent, and etc aren't putting their persona at risk to establish their gameplan. When they use their persona its generally in a safe situation.

I know that Chie is high tier. The arguement I am stating is that having bad defensive option isn't a reason enough to be considered low tier.

For starters, Ibuki isn't even considered Top 5 in AE, Top 10 at best.

You're right about singling out defensive options is wrong, but stating that Liz's persona is the reason she is low tier isn't correct either. It's a combination of what she lacks over the top tiers that she is less viable, than any one reason. Her Persona may be a weakness but she still has perks that the rest of the cast simply don't have. Her main weakness is actually that she requires SP to do real damage, so she has to either save her SP in certain situations to save herself or go in hard, which the top tiers don't need since they do are perfectly capable of playing meterless.

Akihiko is also a character that has a very weak Persona, actually the worst Persona in the game, yet is considered overall a better character. The reason is because he has a great set of tools that keeps his opponent guessing once he's gotten in and does formidable damage meterless.

I mean opinions will differ, but I don't really see how Labs can be worse than Liz's.

For starters, Ibuki isn't even considered Top 5 in AE, Top 10 at best.

You're right about singling out defensive options is wrong, but stating that Liz's persona is the reason she is low tier isn't correct either. It's a combination of what she lacks over the top tiers that she is less viable, than any one reason. Her Persona may be a weakness but she still has perks that the rest of the cast simply don't have. Her main weakness is actually that she requires SP to do real damage, so she has to either save her SP in certain situations to save herself or go in hard, which the top tiers don't need since they do are perfectly capable of playing meterless.

Akihiko is also a character that has a very weak Persona, actually the worst Persona in the game, yet is considered overall a better character. The reason is because he has a great set of tools that keeps his opponent guessing once he's gotten in and does formidable damage meterless.

But his gameplan doesn't revolve around the persona.

I will admit that is a combination of reasons why liz is low tier, but I still think its mainly how persona reliant she is and how much she puts it at risk.

Also Ibuki is consider top 5 by a lot of people. Some rank her as top 10 but her vortex is easier to setup since there are many options that lead to untechable knockdown.

Solune

But his gameplan doesn't revolve around the persona.

I will admit that is a combination of reasons why liz is low tier, but I still think its mainly how persona reliant she is and how much she puts it at risk.

Also Ibuki is consider top 5 by a lot of people. Some rank her as top 10 but her vortex is easier to setup since there are many options that lead to untechable knockdown.

His gameplan doesn't revolve around his persona because he CAN'T use it. It is so bad that he puts himself at risk rather than the persona.

His tools also don't justify not having a good persona, he is almost literally playing with A & B except for to burst, throw, or OMC. In that respect he is worse than the top tiers solely because he doesn't have a Persona to "respect"

You've also stated yourself that

It is because she has the virtue of having a good Persona that she has those tools in the first place. What she lacks are the tools to protect her persona.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Ok, so I kind of want this, but since I'm Japan with my EU PS3, I'll have to import.
Does anyone know a good place to do that? Need a shop which has international overseas shipping and isn't stupidly expensive (like PlayAsia).

Ken

Everyone should play Labrys.

Can someone resize this to avatar-legal dimensions? I'd do it myself but my computer with photoshop is kia.

OwlyKnees

Can someone resize this to avatar-legal dimensions? I'd do it myself but my computer with photoshop is kia.

Pretty sure someone is already rockin' that avatar. Not that it matters, but you can probably find it in this thread or some other Persona related one.

Is this getting a PSN release for EU also?

Capell

Unconfirmed Member

zxr1sonleftcrz5j.png

zxr1sonrightculnv.png

My order has been dispatched, but I doubt I'll receive my copy before monday. Royal Mail always takes some time to arrive at my place for some reason.

Ken

My order has been dispatched, but I doubt I'll receive my copy before monday. Royal Mail always takes some time to arrive at my place for some reason.

Thank you!

Now I just have to hope I didn't unintentionally steal someone else's avatar.

NEO0MJ

Bummer
Still going to buy it, guess I have to finish Persona 4 Golden quickly
Any consensus on which is the better version (PS3 or 360)?

If you ignore story mode I don't think it will spoil much, as long as you gathered the whole party in P4. I don't have the game tough so I could be wrong.

Korigama

Bummer
Still going to buy it, guess I have to finish Persona 4 Golden quickly
Any consensus on which is the better version (PS3 or 360)?
No disparities between versions that I recall, but you will likely have an easier time finding other people to play against on PS3 than 360.

Shito

Liz is low tier BOTH because she has a very difficult defense and because she only relies on Thanatos to get her game moving. And more than that, her best offensive and defensive options require her to sacrifice health and take even more risks -- she's basically a glass canon character whose best defensive option consist in putting herself at ~30% life.
I absolutely LOVE playing with her, because every win with her means you were better than your opponent. I like characters that force you to play with your opponent's mind and get in their head.

Been a while I haven't played, but the thought of finally having some good local online competition is going to make me come back to it take the rust away! <3

Top Bottom