• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Sophia

I'm confident they'll fix the net play, but this makes me sad :(

Indeed. I expected it, but still. My MadCatz Fightpad would be wonderful for this game, but I can't use it on the PS3. :\

Also, just won my first online match as Yukiko. Mirror match ranked, got a Perfect the first round, and denied them a rank up. Awesome.

Those games are how xenogears disc one and two should have been sorta.... :(

With the PSP UI improvements, they've certainly aged better than Xenogears too.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Indeed. I expected it, but still. My MadCatz Fightpad would be wonderful for this game, but I can't use it on the PS3. :\

Also, just won my first online match as Yukiko. Mirror match ranked, got a Perfect the first round, and denied them a rank up. Awesome.
I have one of those but I still have serious issues with quarter circle inputs for some reason. Trying to spam hadouken in SSF4AE doesn't work that well for me.

I hope the player count jumps a bit on 360 once the netcode or whatever is causing the problem is fixed. I shouldn't complain though since I have VF5 which apparently has a very small community on 360 as well.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Using Labrys instant kill feels bad because it hits no one. :I

Using Shadow Labrys' is pretty bad ass. I just wish they went full 3D for the stairs. :(

Alright, waiting on you to accept my request. I think I have the right person with that Top Tier Bullshit SSF4AE broken character avatar.

LProtag

My favorite IKs to see are Teddie, Kanji and Akihiko.

Teddie has the salute, which is amazing. Kanji has the brofist. Akihiko just dunks on your opponent. It's straight up disrespectful.

Using Labrys instant kill feels bad because it hits no one. :I

Do you mean you miss with it or that the axe looks like it's not hitting?

I hit with it quite often online.

It was weird. I faced a Yu who ducked and blocked the laser projectile it fires, but then he stood up and got hit by something invisible, leading into the IK.

Mesoian

How to win on the 360.

Pick yu. Mash buttons. The lag will cancel the up down directionals on the other person's blocking, win every time.

This is fucking gross.

Sophia

Ummm..... welll that was the weirdest game I've ever played. The opponent picked Mitsuru and let me throw fans at them all day. I scored near perfect wins just throwing fans......... o_o

Dang, this thread is rolling along! Quotin' my question. I'm on the PS3, if that matters.

If I was interested in getting a basic but decent fightstick for this game, what would you guys recommend, and why? I have virtually no experience with them, but I can already tell it'd make playing the game a lot more fun.

Ummm..... welll that was the weirdest game I've ever played. The opponent picked Mitsuru and let me throw fans at them all day. I scored near perfect wins just throwing fans......... o_o

.....I can't help but feel mitsu is quite equip to deal with yukiko even at a scrub level and upon hearing this makes me sad.

Sophia

Get a Madcatz Tournament Edition stick, any one will do. They are cheap, easy to mod if you need to, and are pretty durable

Umm....

.....I can't help but feel mitsu is quite equip to deal with yukiko even at a scrub level and upon hearing this makes me sad.

I'm still speechless at it actually. That was just odd. Their movements were really irrational. Was I playing a toddler or something? o_O;

Time for a break.

Cooking with Brett is on.

Oh god. What's he making now? XD

I think it's better to invest in a "pro" stick, unless you want a WWE brawlstick. Personally if you're in the states I would suggest this . Hori Soulcalibur V stick. It's on sale for a really good price, aesthetically very pleasing and the best parts right out of the box.

That Hori stick is very nice. I know they and Madcatz are both fairly respected as Arcade Stick producers nowadays, so I think I'll go with this one unless someone can make one heck of an argument against it. Thanks for the assistance, all!

That Hori stick is very nice. I know they and Madcatz are both fairly respected as Arcade Stick producers nowadays, so I think I'll go with this one unless someone can make one heck of an argument against it. Thanks for the assistance, all!

I have this stick and it is really nice.

Different button layout than the TEs though, don't know which you prefer. This one kinda curves with your fingers, the TEs don't.

Apharmd

I've got it to work with using two hits but the last 5C doesn't hit.

Anyway, I've got to work on adding the super at the end. I always drop the super, but at least I can do the first and second parts, just gotta link them now.

Something my friend told me that may help - just start out by hitting the buttons for the combo really slowly. Like a moron. Ooooh, 5B, 2B, 2C, 5B, 2B, 2C... and so on. And then increase the pace and see them connect - when training's combo damage shows off like 1800 or so, you know you got that part down. The last 5C will hit once you get it down fast enough. Increase the speed once you got the motions going and doing nothing but that for like, five mins straight.

EDIT - Twilt, thanks for the combos by the way.

Well arcade on normal was fucking free. Haha, I feel like all I'm doing is mashing. It's an odd sensation to have back after so much time of at least having some idea of what I was doing in other fighting games xD

Oddly, I've had zero trouble at all with the arcade button configuration, didn't even need to adjust o_0

Onemic

Okay seks it seems like you have a problem with projectiles in general and not just projectile spam. Playing as Elizabeth and Yukiko, you were WAY too afraid of getting hit and as such were far too passive in terms of trying to get in. I would spam fans and elizabeths beam and you would just stand there and take it. There were a few instances where you were aggressive, which you have to be if you see an opening like you did in the beginning of the round, but past that you were far too complacent. You didn't use any airdashes, which is a huge tool in helping you get in and you didn't even try to bulldoze your way through by dashing and blocking whenever you saw or thought a projectile would be thrown. First and foremost work on your airdashes and try to be more aggresive. When You first start out you will eat projectiles, but that's okay as you're still learning and use that damned record tool. Everything I did with yukiko can be replicated with the record feature so use it.

Elizabeths beam is harder to deal with than Yukikos fans as it covers the full screen and you must anticipate it. When I first fought Noi I believe, this was a big problem for me, but you just have to learn to block and as soon as the beam is done do a quick airdash and rinse and repeat. stick in the lobby and when we play I'll do the same thing. Just be aggresive and airdash. Aki also has the bob and weave which dodges projectiles(not elizabeth's though I think as that's a multihit) and you didn't use that at all.

mollipen

Holy crap

Elizabeth might be my next character, those heals are lovely

Did somebody say something about heals?

Ykgroundthrow.png

Okay seks it seems like you have a problem with projectiles in general and not just projectile spam. Playing as Elizabeth and Yukiko, you were WAY too afraid of getting hit and as such were far too passive in terms of trying to get in. I would spam fans and elizabeths beam and you would just stand there and take it. There were a few instances where you were aggressive which you have to be if you see an opening like you did in the beginning of the round, but past that you were far too complacent. You didn't use any airdashes, which is a huge tool in helping you get in and you didn't even try to bulldoze your way through by dashing and blocking whenever you saw or thought a projectile would be thrown. First and foremost work on your airdashes and try to be more aggresive. When You first start out you will eat projectiles. Elizabeths beam is harder to deal with than Yukikos fans as it covers the full screen and you must anticipate it. When I first fought Noi I believe, this was a big problem for m, but you just have to learn to block and as soon as the beam is done o a quick airdash and rinse and repeat. stick in the lobby and when we play I'll do the same thing. Just be aggresive and airdash. Aki also has the bob and weave which dodges projectiles and you didn't use that at all.

also there is almost never a reason to be afraid of yukiko's fan. They do no dmg and don't convert to anything if she isn't close. Her persona on the otherhand converts to good dmg anywhere on the screen. Being afraid of the fans is just letting yukiko set up her persona game and when they happens you are completely done unless you are certain characters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXW6Y0b2d-M&t=2m48s

This is currently the top Yukiko player in Japan and look how he demolishes a good Akihko/Chie. Its not the fans that are doing the work. Every single roll is baited out, he wanted them to roll so that he could 2a into a full combo. All the dmg is coming from persona pressure and 2A punishes.

Sophia

Was that TheSeks I just played?

EDIT:

Okay seks it seems like you have a problem with projectiles in general and not just projectile spam. Playing as Elizabeth and Yukiko, you were WAY too afraid of getting hit and as such were far too passive in terms of trying to get in. I would spam fans and elizabeths beam and you would just stand there and take it. There were a few instances where you were aggressive, which you have to be if you see an opening like you did in the beginning of the round, but past that you were far too complacent. You didn't use any airdashes, which is a huge tool in helping you get in and you didn't even try to bulldoze your way through by dashing and blocking whenever you saw or thought a projectile would be thrown. First and foremost work on your airdashes and try to be more aggresive. When You first start out you will eat projectiles, but that's okay as you're still learning and use that damned record tool. Everything I did with yukiko can be replicated with the record feature so use it.

Elizabeths beam is harder to deal with than Yukikos fans as it covers the full screen and you must anticipate it. When I first fought Noi I believe, this was a big problem for me, but you just have to learn to block and as soon as the beam is done do a quick airdash and rinse and repeat. stick in the lobby and when we play I'll do the same thing. Just be aggresive and airdash. Aki also has the bob and weave which dodges projectiles(not elizabeth's though I think as that's a multihit) and you didn't use that at all.

Guess so. Onemic already put everything I wanted to say.

Ken

Do you mean you miss with it or that the axe looks like it's not hitting?

I hit with it quite often online.

It was weird. I faced a Yu who ducked and blocked the laser projectile it fires, but then he stood up and got hit by something invisible, leading into the IK.

Lol.

Sophia

Whoops, sorry to the people in Onemic's lobby. I didn't mean to pass that a second time, I just kinda hit the wrong button. x_X

Hex

Banned
Fun games all, I seriously have to work on my basic mechanics more.
I botch double moves still way too often.

Top Bottom