• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Mesoian

Her autocombo sucks up meter for not much damage. Sure, she gets truckloads of meter to begin with, but I'd rather use it on other things.... like her IK which is so awesomely viable in certain matchups. Those hits can come from anything!

Plus you can stop the autocombo and lead into some distance C-->C--C/D combos which dramatically increases the damage.

Still trying to figure out an 5AAAA, pause, CC, ?? , Ghostly Wail. Don't know what that link is yet.

Wow what a difference that patch made. Smooth as butter now which is pretty awesome. I still might pick up the PS3 version as well as it seems that's where most of the competition is playing.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Plus you can stop the autocombo and lead into some distance C-->C--C/D combos which dramatically increases the damage.
That's what I ended up doing pretty quickly. Need to learn proper combos with her although I figured out a few basic ones starting from a 2B anti-air that really help.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Eh, BBCT got patched in like 3 days. They normally bust their asses if something is wrong. Mak's infinte thingy got patched in less than 2 weeks if I remember right

The BBCT patch was planned though, wasn't it? I think P4A's problems caught them off guard.

This game is so strange. I've played like 7+ hours already and I have no idea who to main. There is a gigantic roadblock in my brain setup by the multiple persona buttons....

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This game is so strange. I've played like 7+ hours already and I have no idea who to main. There is a gigantic roadblock in my brain setup by the multiple persona buttons....

Don't think of persona buttons as specials think of them as your fierce attacks
Or if you played GG your Slash and Hs buttons

LProtag

I haven't even tried anyone besides Narukami yet. I guess that's what story/arcade mode is for.

Gotta wake up and eat, then I'm training again today.

The gameplays is like BlazBlue or it is completely new???

I like Persona, but I´m not good on BlazBlue...

I will still buy it, but I will be an eternal noob.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah, but who knows if it really "caught them off guard" :p For all we know the 360 version could of had an older net code in it on accident :p

True true.

Right. I see a lot of people getting wrapped up over this. I just think of it as l,m,h,s.

Except with the default control scheme it gets screwed up.

LMHS should roughly correspond to Weak, Strong, Weak Persona, Strong Persona.

The currently button layout is;

Weak, Weak Persona
Strong, Strong Persona

My brain is apparently hardwired to think that buttons to the right are intrinsically stronger versions of buttons to the left. I think I might change it to:

Weak, Strong
Weak Persona, Strong Persona

That just makes more sense in my head. I'm sure I could adjust, I'm just not sure I want to.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
True true.

Weak, Weak Persona
Strong, Strong Persona

My brain is apparently hardwired to think that buttons to the right are intrinsically stronger versions of buttons to the left. I think I might change it to:

Weak, Strong

That just makes more sense in my head. I'm sure I could adjust, I'm just not sure I want to.
Guilty gear is set up the same way as persona on pad :p

Mesoian

I just think of it as A, B, C, D. Everyone's moves are so different that the ideas of weak versus strong for normal or persona doesn't really apply. Just assign the actions to each button and you'll be fine.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
D isn't in the standard chain, and can do various things depending on the character so it's more like Blazblue's D than Marvel's S or GG's HS.

I got used to the default control scheme pretty quickly, although throws being middle and thumb is still awkward for me.

Oh yeah, don't forget that with commands being so overloaded in this game, it's not just about A B C D, but also roll, allout, R action, roman cancel, burst, and throw.

Skilletor

True true.

Weak, Weak Persona
Strong, Strong Persona

Weak, Strong

It does to me. Heavy attack is weaker in my mind than a light persona attack. It's probably just semantics at this point, though. :p

Solune

Don't think of persona buttons as specials think of them as your fierce attacks
Or if you played GG your Slash and Hs buttons
Exactly how I think of it.
True true.

Weak, Weak Persona
Strong, Strong Persona

Weak, Strong

I tried that when I first played, but then it switches throws with R-actions and all out attack becomes the top two buttons. It really doesn't make a difference if you're on stick, it makes a world of difference on pad (if you don't use binded actions)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It does to me. Heavy attack is weaker in my mind than a light persona attack. It's probably just semantics at this point, though. :p

Granted, this is only have 20 minutes or so of playing, but when I see I'm supposed to do a Strong attack, I automatically hit Y (or Triangle on PS3). It's just been ingrained in me. The regular gatling for almost all characters is ABC, where the layout is

AC
BD

Maybe I should set it up like I have BlazBlue, so:

AB
DC

But I think that would screw up the two button attacks.

I tried that when I first played, but then it switches throws with R-actions and all out attack becomes the top two buttons. It really doesn't make a difference if you're on stick, it makes a world of difference on pad (if you don't use binded actions)

Hm, that's a good point. I guess I can try to man up and get used to it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
LP+LK+MK is doable but not preferable.

D isn't in the standard chain, and can do various things depending on the character so it's more like Blazblue's D than Marvel's S or GG's HS.

I got used to the default control scheme pretty quickly, although throws being middle and thumb is still awkward for me.

Oh yeah, don't forget that with commands being so overloaded in this game, it's not just about A B C D, but also roll, allout, R action, roman cancel, burst, and throw.
Yeah, it's a lot of info to keep up with. BB has the standard chaining normals with the single special drive button+ throws and barrier block. There are like a million things to keep track of in this game and it's driving me nuts!

I expected it though.

Uggh, minotaur vulnerability is so random -_-

I hate how it absorbs my jabs on block, makes it so hard to confirm. Fucking ground pound being a low is bullshit, btw

Slowly figuring it out, such a weird matchup.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
GG's God's. Man pretty sure Mitsu's normals beat mine clean. I have to constantly try and trick you to get good hits in

Uggh, minotaur vulnerability is so random -_-

I hate how it absorbs my jabs on block, makes it so hard to confirm. Fucking ground pound being a low is bullshit, btw

attacks 410 damage and higher that break him. It's not random :p Also making me block an attack makes a lot of his attacks stop and yes that ground pound is stupid haha

GG's God's. Man pretty sure Mitsu's normals beat mine clean. I have to constantly try and trick you to get good hits in

Right now I feel like we're relatively even in the neutral game, but I get torn up once you get a hit and I don't have any way to capitalize right now since I haven't practiced any combos outside of sweep stuff in the corner to figure out her frame data. Still doing a lot of experiments with moving around.

GGs

attacks 410 damage and higher that break him. It's not random :p Also making me block an attack makes a lot of his attacks stop and yes that ground pound is stupid haha

Oh it's a threshold? I thought it was super armor on certain frames.

LProtag

I'm on. PSN is the same as my username.

Hit me up for some games. I think I'd prefer to train against one person for a bit fi anyone's up for that.

Yeah this is why the match up is so bad for Yukiko, because her fans are weak and her persona does a ton of tiny hits. So my persona just rips through everything

Yeah I was trying to do the charge attack to hit the AA flames from fullscreen, but I guess it does enough damage as well. I was really confused because it seemed like I was hitting at the same time when I was up close with jabs, but I would get hit. Mitsuru has so many variations on the same attacks with pretty wildly different properties.

sephi22

lol @ the player's title on the right
Mq96Z.jpg

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Solune: A+C+D is not.

That would be the most awkward shit, you'd have to twist your wrist to do that input D:

Yeah I was trying to do the charge attack to hit the AA flames from fullscreen, but I guess it does enough damage as well. I was really confused because it seemed like I was hitting at the same time when I was up close with jabs, but I would get hit. Mitsuru has so many variations on the same attacks with pretty wildly different properties.

Yeah, it's her strong point though. Only person with more options than her is aegis haha. What you need to work on is following up on the random whips you land

Top Bottom