• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

B00TE

Lost my first match with Kanji. Game was the worst I played so far, two full seconds of input delay. Yet the guy I was against was playing through it well. Very salty about that. Then I took my frustration out on a Yosuke and all was well!

Gonna play around with Chie and Akihiko for a bit then take them into online and see how well I do.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Like every fighter I've bought this gen has had some really broken shit I've had to wait for them to patch. They've all been like several week-long waits though except for this one, and now things work super-well. Thank you based ArcLus.

sixghost

Can you guys try to explain how links and combos work in this game? I've never played a GG or BB game before, so maybe I just fundamentally don't understand what's going on.

It just seems like things that combo extremely easily sometimes are impossible to combo other times. Like with Chie in the corner I'll do 236A>236A>5B>5C>236B>236B. Sometimes is will work, sometimes the other character will do the air recovery before the second 236B can hit.

Things like that happen on other combos too. I'll combo something together fine, but then I'll try that same combo 4 or 5 hits into a combo and the other character will air recover much quicker than before, and the combo won't work.

This is getting so frustrating.

LProtag

Can you guys try to explain how links and combos work in this game? I've never played a GG or BB game before, so maybe I just fundamentally don't understand what's going on.

It just seems like things that combo extremely easily sometimes are impossible to combo other times. Like with Chie in the corner I'll do 236A>236A>5B>5C>236B>236B. Sometimes is will work, sometimes the other character will do the air recovery before the second 236B can hit.

Things like that happen on other combos too. I'll combo something together fine, but then I'll try that same combo 4 or 5 hits into a combo and the other character will air recover much quicker than before, and the combo won't work.

This is getting so frustrating.

If your combo number is turning yellow it means they could have recovered out of it. I think.

Chavelo

Do you have a 360 copy of this game too Chavelo? If so I'll be online tonight around 6:30 to 7:00ish and playing till probably 11:30 at night if you wanna get some games in.

Yeah, just got a copy for my 360 yesterday, since I want(ED) to use it as an gathering/tournament/practice setup compared to my roommate's ps3 and my copy of the game for online rank/GAF matches, but then the patch dropped like today, so oh well. :p I won't be able to get online tonight, though. I'll be at another gathering tonight down in Lakewood for the game, which of course you're welcome to swing by and get bodied. :D

Also, am I tripping, or did the font change in the forums? D:

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If your combo number is turning yellow it means they could have recovered out of it. I think.

Correct, it isn't a "valid" (hate using that word in this sense) combo. They can escape by burst. I think hit-stun is the only one that makes a combo "valid."

zlatko

Banned
Yeah, just got a copy for my 360 yesterday, since I want(ED) to use it as an gathering/tournament/practice setup compared to my roommate's ps3 and my copy of the game for online rank/GAF matches, but then the patch dropped like today, so oh well. :p I won't be able to get online tonight, though. I'll be at another gathering down for the game in Lakewood, which of course you're welcome to swing by and get bodied. :D

Until I get paid tomorrow I am just scraping by. :p

If there is a meet up somewhere this coming week(busy all weekend with the girlfriend), then I'll definitely swing by. I could use some better practice to feel the flow of this game out, because when I play Yosuke I'm just going 3000MPH rush down.

RoeBear

I don't know why but I just don't like it when people use default colors in fighters. I just feel like the person is more memorable when I see them in a strange color. I'm not saying that the default colors in P4A are bad though.

Astral

You can escape a combo by burst whenever you want. The only time you can't burst is when you're being supered. If the combo is yellow it means you could've recovered from it normally.

LProtag

I'm just starting to be able to do my really shitty BnB during matches.

I guess it's somewhat of an accomplishment, haha.

I don't know why but I just don't like it when people use default colors in fighters. I just feel like the person is more memorable when I see them in a strange color. I'm not saying that the default colors in P4A are bad though.

That's funny. I feel like the opposite.

I feel like if I'm not using the default colours I'm not really playing the character, but some weird version since the colours are no longer correct.

Doesn't really bother me that much when I see alternate colours but I like seeing 2 people use the defaults because it feels like it's the actual characters fighting.

zlatko

Banned
Teddys jumpin into autocombo does 3k+ damage?

Teddy's one of the only characters I've fought thus far that gave my Yosuke trouble.

It always feels like this happens when a Teddy shows up:

tumblr_m8efdempar1r3karup7.gif

Chavelo

Gonna be honest here, I don't like a ton of the alt colors available. I guess I'm spoiled by SFxTs color system

Agreed on SFxT's color system. Spent a few hours on it just getting some wacky and cool combinations. Though I gotta say that the alt colors in P4A aren't that bad, but they screwed up on the DLC part of it. :/

zlatko

Banned
Yea the only one I care for is Yu's blue on.
But they're nice to have though

I forked over for Yosuke DLC color pack simply because all his options without DLC were bleh to me. I LOVE the blue color DLC one and use a black Jariya with red eyes. ;D

RoeBear

Agreed on SFxT's color system. Spent a few hours on it just getting some wacky and cool combinations. Though I gotta say that the alt colors in P4A aren't that bad, but they screwed up on the DLC part of it. :/

Only played SFxT for 15 minutes, and from what I saw KOF has had the best system for that so far.

Shito

Teddy's one of the only characters I've fought thus far that gave my Yosuke trouble.

It always feels like this happens when a Teddy shows up:

tumblr_m8efdempar1r3karup7.gif
Real question: what is the trick to avoid / block his circus thing super?
I can destroy a Teddy, and lose just because they mash this and I always fall for it.

Onemic

LOL.

Nice matches Onemic!

And then there was that random Teddy. (。◕‿◕。)
I always leave a spot open for some random fun.

p.s. I'm up to challenge #25 now with my main! Woot!

I still cant get past #23. ;_; Not that I've tried since the first 2 hours of getting the game ha.

But can't he delay it? And choose which side to come from?
I always eat it when I'm in a corner, and he appears behind me...

It was tap in BB, and hold it here, if I followed it right.
Much better.

omg I was tapping the entire time. This makes it super easy.

And ya, I've only faced Saru's Teddy, so I'm not too knowledgeable about his super in the corner.

RoeBear

Speaking of Challenge 25, for Naoto does anyone know how to link her qcf B after the AID?
It's her challenge 25 i think.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
If Teddy's super is coming from behind you, double jump. If it's coming from Teddy's side, roll through it. You can probably do both and cover both options.

If you're caught getting hit by a barrel or are otherwise in-combo, then you're probably out of luck.

zlatko

Banned
I'm up to 27 or 28 on Yosuke, but that was only after one quick session with it.

How do you do his #30 by the way to just break 8K damage?

Noi

You can't roll through Circus Bear D cause you otherwise place yourself right in it's path, C is fine though.. What I do is I wait a second, jump back, then double jump forward, which lets me jump over both versions.

A lot of DPs will protect against it though. Yukiko can just Dia right through it, lol.

Edit: Any lobbies going on? I need to get my fradulent Labrys on.

Top Bottom