• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Esura

Banned
Well I just ordered it despite not begin able to beat the last boss of P3 and never touched P4 (won't till Vita version). Will avoid story mode like the plague. Anything else I should do to not have the ending of P3 or the entirety of P4 spoiled?

Oddly enough, while you'd be spoiled on some stuff from P4, they don't mention stuff from there nearly as much as P3's events. Which is shocking.

God's Beard, if you are trying to make a comprehensive Mitsu strat, you should make an ultimate post consolidating all your info as its becoming a pain to go through 100 posts to find these posts of "wisdom".

Venfayth

Buh, I keep losing my rank up matches. I'm F+ at level 8 or something. Feels like I should at least be E :/

I do feel cheap spamming maziodyne, but I'm not doing it mindlessly, I change the strength if I think they're gonna try to airdash over it. But whatever, if they can't deal with it, they can't deal with it.

edit: Maziodyne spam is the subject of most of the hatemail I receive lol

kewlmyc

Kanji is good, just don't rely on airdives too much and use his persona to do damage + shock them if you can't get in easily

This works for me usually. However it's easily punishable. If the character has a projectile, they can easily punish it. Kanji's low speed makes playing keepaway with Yukiko, Elizabeth, and Naoto a pain in the ass.

How did you get hit by that O_O

I couldn't tell you, I was bringing the pressure in the corner and in between pokes she sneaked it in. I just said fuck out loud as I just looked at the screen in disbelief. Also I think I got my first hate mail. It was in Japanese but it looked angry. lol

Oddly enough, while you'd be spoiled on some stuff from P4, they don't mention stuff from there nearly as much as P3's events. Which is shocking.

God's Beard, if you are trying to make a comprehensive Mitsu strat, you should make an ultimate post consolidating all your info as its becoming a pain to go through 100 posts to find these posts of "wisdom".

I've done that before with other games, but I still need to test a lot of stuff any play more.

LProtag

I think C is going to be around where I cap out for a while, probably will be a bit of a struggle for me to get past this point.

More combo training today. I want to be able to do that full BnB...

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So I'm supposing fatal counters add extra hitstun for the whole combo, and not just the one hit? 'cause I'm finding combos that work when started with a fatal counter, but don't work without the fatal counter even if you do everything the same except the fatal counter starter move.

Noi

Wish dustloop had the version of this with her "glasses" on, but this'll have to do.

Gonna force myself to do nothing but story mode today. Nobody send me any invites!

Venfayth

So I'm supposing fatal counters add extra hitstun for the whole combo, and not just the one hit? 'cause I'm finding combos that work when started with a fatal counter, but don't work without the fatal counter even if you do everything the same except the fatal counter starter move.

That's correct, as far as I know.

cj_iwakura

Wish dustloop had the version of this with her "glasses" on, but this'll have to do.

Gonna force myself to do nothing but story mode today. Nobody send me any invites!

Best to just sign out like I did. Working on Yukiko's.

Spoiler thread should be up sometime late August!

Kuugrr

I feel bad for not actually playing any online matches or anything so far. There's just so much story. Tournament looked like it was a lot of fun, from the archives. Good shit to everyone who entered!

Is there an ideal order to play through the Story? I went Yu->Yosuke->Chie->Yukiko->Teddie->Kanji->Naoto so far. Planning on going Aigis->Akihiko->Mitsuru after.

You should play a Persona 3 character's story as soon as possible in order to unlock Labrys's. That way, you can start doing full clears of story mode instead of just cliffhanger / to-be-continued clears.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
You should play a Persona 3 character's story as soon as possible in order to unlock Labrys's. That way, you can start doing full clears of story mode instead of just cliffhanger / to-be-continued clears.
I don't mind having to go back and redo previous games, I was asking from a "most interesting way to see the storyline unfold from various perspectives" perspective.

Probably gonna take that long for me to finish it.
Should really not take too long if you decide to focus on it (assuming you read fast). Though it is hard to try to ignore online matches.

Mesoian

I love playing as Kanji, but he's so limited. He has bad match ups against almost half the cast due to his low speed and terrible normals. He can do a ton of damage, but now that we're going into week 2 and most people have discovered 4-5k combos for every character, or how to loop 2-3k combos, he seems more and more lacking as the days go on.

A good Kanji cannot touch a good Aigis.

Teknoman

I feel bad for not actually playing any online matches or anything so far. There's just so much story. Tournament looked like it was a lot of fun, from the archives. Good shit to everyone who entered!

lol yeah i've been so invested in story mode, I havent played any gaf matches or randoms online.

Oh and with Akihiko, his cyclone gauge resets as soon as you stop attacking right?

EDIT: The only thing I dont like about combo focused fighters is that people tend to just try to do the same good combos over and over again.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Is the story mode just the same story from each character's perspective, or do you get a different part of the story for each character you choose? I kind of want to go through it but fighting actual people is too fun lol

Kuugrr

I don't mind having to go back and redo previous games, I was asking from a "most interesting way to see the storyline unfold from various perspectives" perspective.

Well, you learn a lot about what's going on from the Persona 3 characters' stories and Labrys's. But I guess the way you're doing it is fine too.

Is the story mode just the same story from each character's perspective, or do you get a different part of the story for each character you choose? I kind of want to go through it but fighting actual people is too fun lol

It's a little of both. You piece together more and more of the big picture from each character's story while getting an individual character arc, but because it also kind of "focuses" the story around whatever character you pick, you see some of the same scenes here and there.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
No, but it seemed random. Disconnect makes sense, but it makes me sad now. I saw an S+ guy with a red name and I wanted to play him really bad. But I guess it means he's a cheater.

You should play Persona, Karst. Losts of weird monster looking people.

Yeah if you dc you dont lose your rank streak stats. I beat a S rank and was going to become s rank myself but he dc'd as the super hit and I didnt rank up :(

I play one story-mode and then I get bored as hell. I hate that the story matches are only one round, too. Like 30 minutes of text and I can't even get more than a minute of gameplay.

wow I feel retarded... you can just roll out of that setup. The only exception is if they read it and jump back but even then its kind of obvious what side it is.

edit

and you can just run straight out...

Kuugrr

Where can I see these archives?

http://www.twitch.tv/fslink/b/328183376

Starts at ~59:22 with the first match between OchiChernye and Noisama.

I play one story-mode and then I get bored as hell. I hate that the story matches are only one round, too. Like 30 minutes of text and I can't even get more than a minute of gameplay.

It's a little dense, yeah. I'm doing my best to prolong the matches and see what characters are like instead of mashing the autocombo, but the AI is just... so dumb. They run into stuff even if I'm full-screen checking out what a character's normals and specials look like, and before I know it, the round is over.

It also doesn't help that I'm pretty OCD about ASW story modes and their infuriating 100% completion checks. I have to finish everything.

So you can really fuck people up with cross-up Getsu-ei. It moves Mitsu forward slightly so you can mess with people by doing it randomly when they jump over you.

Also, her all out attack hits behind her ^_^

It also doesn't help that I'm pretty OCD about ASW story modes and their infuriating 100% completion checks. I have to finish everything.

Is there a good 100% guide out there somewhere? I'm sitting at 99% and have no clue what I could be missing. I've done the
Kanji, Chie, and Yukiko alternate paths
too and still don't know what that 1% could be.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Been grinding story mode - damn Naoto is a
cold hearted bastard when in deceptive evil mode
definitely my favorite in prematch discussions.

I thought it was funny when doing Aigis' story mode.

You have to fight Naoto and after the match Aigis' examines her, revealing that she's female (as if we didn't know) and Aigis comments on it and wants to give her her measurements.

Kuugrr

Is there a good 100% guide out there somewhere? I'm sitting at 99% and have no clue what I could be missing. I've done the
Kanji, Chie, and Yukiko alternate paths
too and still don't know what that 1% could be.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/641697-persona-4-arena/faqs/64766

Non-spoiler too, for other people who might find it useful.

Though, I'm pretty sure what you're missing is
the additional scene with Margaret at the end of Yu's story. You get it by selecting the first choice in every dialogue option.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Man, seeing the silhouette of Mitsuru's group in story mode...
damnit, I wanna see superhero outfit versions of Junpei and Yukari already

Top Bottom