• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Sophia

Tap down once and don't press any buttons :p

You have to realize my thumb is as big as the d-pad itself. It is very difficult to just "tap down once." I was fighting a Narukami and was doing the motions for Megido fire, but it just registered as dashing forward, completely wasting my Orgia mode at the end of a great combo. Little bit peeved about that.

That purchase of Street Figher IV and a fightpad for the 360 is forever going to haunt me, it seems.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You have to realize my thumb is as big as the d-pad itself. It is very difficult to just "tap down once." I was fighting a Narukami and was doing the motions for Megido fire, but it just registered as dashing forward, completely wasting my Orgia mode at the end of a great combo. Little bit peeved about that.

No I know how you feel, I just started ages ago. I actually play with my thumb taking up the entire dpad. I don't use the tip of my thumb I use the middle joint as the center point and just slide the finger around like a ghetto fight stick.

Sophia

No I know how you feel, I just started ages ago. I actually play with my thumb taking up the entire dpad. I don't use the tip of my thumb I use the middle joint as the center point and just slide the finger around like a ghetto fight stick.

Yeah I'm using the middle joint, not the tip, but it actually damages the hand doing that so....

Oddly enough I did fantastic against the Akihiko considering they're uncontested in this room.

Sophia

The only damage I ever got was a callus o.o/

Mine's actually red there from this game, hence why I've started stop playing with the middle. I really need a better controller period. I'm never forgiving myself for spending the money on the 360 version of SF4. Almost everything I've spent on that console was a mistake waiting to happen. ><;

GG to Sarumanu. You're definitely getting better. The one thing I notice was I was never in fear of blocking high. Also I think we both found out that at the very least the drill is negative on block. I punished some but I don't remember if those were counter hit or not. I was just like "fuck it I'm 2a mash to see what happens" and was like "ohhh it punished it?". You caught on quick and either spaced it right or didn't press any buttons if it was safe but negative.

Overal fun match. I think you just need to mixup your options and you'll be tons better.

I heard you guys got those 2 frame overheads.

And better watch out for those unblockables. Only scrub games have them including SF4, 3s, Marvel 2, Marvel 3, Tekken (all of them) and etc.

Busaiku

GG to Sarumanu. You're definitely getting better. The one thing I notice was I was never in fear of blocking high. Also I think we both found out that at the very least the drill is negative on block. I punished some but I don't remember if those were counter hit or not. I was just like "fuck it I'm 2a mash to see what happens" and was like "ohhh it punished it?". You caught on quick and either spaced it right or didn't press any buttons if it was safe but negative.

Overal fun match. I think you just need to mixup your options.

Teddie has a single overhead, and that's his all out attack, so it's no surprise.
Definitely a much better set now, I don't feel like I got any wins due to radomness, and almost everything I didn't win came close (a couple mistaken Teddievisions and terrible Bursts when I'm the entire screen away from you due to stupidity).

One thing I need to get down is the spacing on Sakuya when I'm blocking it.
At first I was able to take it out a number of times, since I was so close and managed to get it with my cr.A, but then as I got farther from it, I kept mashing that.
I think I eventually stopped with that, but yeah, that was a problem.

I also need to get the anti-airs better.
I never followed up my cr.B, so I left a lot of damage on the table.

Teddie's A Bear Screw is negative on block, but cr.A doesn't come out fast enough for you to punish it.
Most of the time you hit me with it, I was mashing throw.

Teddie has a single overhead, and that's his all out attack, so it's no surprise.
Definitely a much better set now, I don't feel like I got any wins due to radomness, and almost everything I didn't win came close (a couple mistaken Teddievisions and terrible Bursts when I'm the entire screen away from you due to stupidity).

One thing I need to get down is the spacing on Sakuya when I'm blocking it.
At first I was able to take it out a number of times, since I was so close and managed to get it with my cr.A, but then as I got farther from it, I kept mashing that.
I think I eventually stopped with that, but yeah, that was a problem.

Teddie's A Bear Screw is negative on block, but cr.A doesn't come out fast enough for you to punish it.
Most of the time you hit me with it, I was mashing throw.

Ah so its a counter hit. Either way I get a 2a block into a block string to get space so its still good regardless.

I'm so happy that dia goes through that unblockable.

For the persona calls yeah I can control the spacing so you just have to be aware of how far you are from it.

There were some cases when I got you in the corner and you became overwhelm with the pressure. I think you could of rolled out of some of the setups but I'm not 100% sure.

And yeah that tv teleport got me a few times. I had to think about it more but at times I felt you were too reliant on it and some of it was easy to bait.

GG overall you are definitely getting better.

edit

I also need to get the anti-airs better.
I never followed up my cr.B, so I left a lot of damage on the table.
Yeah most definitely. I too need to start doing better combos. I keep doing something that is super safe (minus whiff super), I'll have to start practicing the better bnb.

I've gotten hate mail in Japanese, Spanish, then pretended that I didn't understand Spanish to make him translate to English. He hit me with some racial slurs but I responded with the usual "sorry baby <3" since that seems to infuriate them. lol. I also hit my IK two matches back to back due to how easy it is to read people that rush down.

Ken

I've gotten hate mail in Japanese, Spanish, then pretended that I didn't understand Spanish to make him translate to English. He hit me with some racial slurs but I responded with the usual "sorry baby <3" since that seems to infuriate them. lol. I also hit my IK two matches back to back due to how easy it is to read people that rush down.

P4A bringing the world together.

who is your char that is landing all these iks?

P4A bringing the world together.

Except Europe.
I'm sorry Europe. :(

who is your char that is landing all these iks?

Mitsu. First one was against a fan throwing persona using happy Yukiko. I read her pattern like a book by that point so it was too easy. The next match was Elizabeth. She hit me with her B+D throw and I figured she was going to use her long range persona attacks immediately. I was right so it connected perfectly before she realized what happened.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Lmao I totally cheesed that last one

Nah, I just got confused cause you were using my persona color so I was running into stuff I shouldn't have or thought I was doing something I wasn't.

I can already spot the ways to beat you and now I got all your play habits drilled in for later :D

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, I just got confused cause you were using my persona color. I can already spot the ways to beat you and now I got all your play habits drilled in for later :D
&#9488;('&#65374;`&#65307;)&#9484; I wouldn't call them habits yet, it's still my day one slab. I'm going to watch more videos to see how to play her neutral.

Except Europe.
I'm sorry Europe. :(

Mitsu. First one was against a fan throwing persona using happy Yukiko. I read her pattern like a book by that point so it was too easy. The next match was Elizabeth. She hit me with her B+D throw and I figured she was going to use her long range persona attacks immediately. I was right so it connected perfectly before she realized what happened.

Does mitsu IK hit full screen? nvm I watched a video

Judging by the video it looks to have to an 80-100 frame startup hmm. I'll have to see if I can IK cancel my specials just in case now.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
&#9488;('&#65374;`&#65307;)&#9484; I wouldn't call them habits yet, it's still my day one slab. I'm going to watch more videos to see how to play her neutral.

They play her like I do. I just didn't pick her because that mirror match is derp as hell.

Short hop/cross over mix up on plunches.

Changed times on the punch to delay it and scare them for you to throw

j.B and j.A cross ups back and forth with persona attacking between.

In the corner set up the persona's throw to land after you land a jump hit and jump cancel

Does mitsu IK hit full screen? nvm I watched a video

Judging by the video it looks to have to an 80-100 frame startup hmm. I'll have to see if I can IK cancel my specials just in case now.

The person I was facing wasn't the smartest, I'm pretty sure she had the meter to One More cancel what she was doing and block. She played way too aggressive.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Did you ever open your copy?

Yup.

Still haven't put this disc in because Max Payne 3 suddenly seemed fun, and after finishing P4 on the PS2 I'm thinking "Damn, maybe I should play Nocturne now."

The person I was facing wasn't the smartest, I'm pretty sure she had the meter to One More cancel what she was doing and block. She played way too aggressive.

well to be fair, you have to be aggressive once you establish that pressure with yuki against mitsu. That shit is so bad up close.

V_Arnold

Can anyone direct me towards a few proper quality gameplay matches, preferrably high-level ones, if they can be called that within such a short amount of time?

Thank you, in advance : )

Dantis

Hopefully.

Just to be clear, I mean by the 24th. Not this Friday.

I feel like the way they approach these things is poor. They should really be updating everyone with their progress constantly, like "Sent off P4A for certification!" or "Discs are now being printed!". They're such a small company that they need to build a loyal fanbase, not one who loathes them.

FSLink

Banned
Crosspost from FG Weekly:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/vc3m234c3m

Hosting another Persona 4 Arena online tournament for this week (Friday, 9PM EST), but this time we'll give the Xbox 360 players some love. Stream will be at http://twitch.tv/fslink

Week 2 Persona 4 Arena (360) Tournament for NeoGAF!
Friday 9PM EST.
Double Elimination.
2/3 Rounds, losing player is allowed to switch characters during the set.
Top 8 will be 3/5 Rounds.

Please put your XBL name next to your NeoGAF username when registering. Example: FSLink / FSLink (XBL)

Kioshen

Is there any trick to getting a max all out rush?

I'm bad at mashing.

Press both buttons at the same 6 times. You can also watch the hit counter but of course that's less reliable.

Finally got my copy last friday but haven't got much time to play with it yet. Ran a quick run on challenge mode to do all characters up to 25ish. I thought I'd like more characters than I did considering how many seemed interesting. Oh well at least Chie, Yu and maybe Akihiko seemed interesting. Shabrys and Elizabeth seems really awkward at first glance.

Hopefully I'll be able to catch up to everybody since I can't put as much time as I once did.

Top Bottom