• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

zlatko

Banned
Definitely done with Yosuke. Trained up Akihiko last night, then took it to ranked matches and won 8 in a row.

GG's last night Chavelo. I had to go since another buddy who had just got the game hopped online so we sparred.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Noi: Did some testing just now, and the outcome of Elizabeth's IK counter depends on both character's invincibility frames rather than the hitbox of the attack she's countering.

Activation will not land on the following:
Labrys - IK, Bull charge super
Aigis - IK
Yukiko - R Action
Yu - R Action, IK
Yosuke - IK
Chie - IK
Kanji - R Action
Teddy - Ball super
Akihiko - IK

Will outright lose to the following:
Labrys - Gears super when not at outer edge
Akihiko - Fullscreen lightning super

Also, all throws and command throws that would otherwise land on Elizabeth count as one hit. This means that if Liz uses the counter early in a round and receives two hits, then on a second attempt she only needs one more hit or throw attempt to KO.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Noi: Did some testing just now, and the outcome of Elizabeth's IK counter depends on both character's invincibility frames rather than the hitbox of the attack she's countering.

Activation will not land on the following:
Labrys - IK, Bull charge super
Aigis - IK
Yukiko - R Action
Yu - R Action, IK
Yosuke - IK
Chie - IK
Kanji - R Action
Teddy - Ball super
Akihiko - IK

Will outright lose to the following:
Labrys - Gears super when not at outer edge
Akihiko - Fullscreen lightning super

Also, all throws and command throws that would otherwise land on Elizabeth count as one hit. This means that if Liz uses the counter early in a round and receives two hits, then on a second attempt she only needs one more hit or throw attempt to KO.

So the only characters it's worthwhile vs is Naoto and S.lab? :lol

kewlmyc

Yay, my first ragequitter. An auto-combo Aigis.

Also, taking a break from playing Kanji. Fought 5 different Naoto in ranked match. Getting in on her is so hard. Will try out Yu.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
So the only character it's worthwhile vs is S.lab? LOL
I only listed specific exceptions. Several characters have ranged multihit moves that can be countered on reaction and will lead to KO. Liz needs 3 hits in a round to activate.

Think Chun-Li's Ultra 1. When she gets meter on match point, her opponent will have to be extremely careful about using certain moves.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm starting to think that my hilariously bad win/loss ratio is because I stick around to play with people that have the upper hand on me waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than most people do.

I'm floating around 30-40% consistently because I like getting my face pounded by people that are a solid level above me.

I really need to find some answers vs Mitsuru though. I just can't think of an answer to her tempo other than guessing with counters and hoping for the best.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I only listed exceptions. Several characters have ranged multihit moves that can be countered on reaction and will lead to KO. Liz needs 3 hits in a round to activate.

Think Chun-Li's Ultra 1. When she gets meter on match point, her opponent will have to be extremely careful about using certain moves.

Can't they just one more time cancel into what ever if they do it fast enough?

I'm starting to think that my hilariously bad win/loss ratio is because I stick around to play with people that have the upper hand on me waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than most people do.

I'm floating around 30-40% consistently because I like getting my face pounded by people that are a solid level above me.

I really need to find some answers vs Mitsuru though. I just can't think of an answer to her tempo other than guessing with counters and hoping for the best.
Stop giving a shit about win rate and just experiment and learn match ups. If I had the option to turn it off I would honestly I don't give a damn that I'm sitting near 90% win rate and I sure as hell would prefer if others couldn't see that as well. Getting DC'd at the start of a match is annoying.

The way I see most mitsuru players get beat is smart baiting.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Can't they just one more time cancel into what ever if they do it fast enough?

Stop giving a shit about win rate and just experiment and learn match ups. If I had the option to turn it off I would honestly I don't give a damn that I'm sitting near 90% win rate and I sure as hell would prefer if others couldn't see that as well. Getting DC'd at the start of a match is annoying.

The way I see most mitsuru players get beat is smart baiting.

Win rate is just annoying all around...

The thing with Mitsuru vs Akihiko is that I'm not sure what to bait and how to do it. I can weave through a careless mid-screen rapier but all they have to do in response is transition to the quicker version and it becomes perfectly safe because of the range and where they end up when they stop. Its sometimes okay to killrush if you instant block it - not sure if its money though. Both pokes immediately afterwards leave me with nothing to do other than a back weave as an option (if I guess right and don't get swept). Rolling works wonders against the DP - but most good Mitsurus know better than to break that out too often.

I feel like I'm missing something really important in the matchup. All the guessing games that I get into vs other characters don't seem to get as ridiculously lopsided against Akihiko. (Other than Teddy. Fuck that guy)

jorgeton

I really hate fighting Chie online. It is nonstop with the combos and the flying and the screeching.
Gonna have to learn how to play as her next.
Honorary mention goes to Naoto, hate when people spam the gun and keep me on the other side of the screen for 75% of a round. Grr.

Deitus

Wait, Mitsuru is supposed to be Noob friendly? I found her reliance on charge moves to be difficult to adjust to (not to mention brutal on my thumbs). Then again, I still haven't found anyone I'm good with, just a handful I'm less bad with.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
We must update the OP!

That's the official power chart thingy I think. They probably consider her hard because you control two things at once but it's not even that hard to do. But she's really straight forward and the inputs are really simple for her just requires a little speed.

Edit: I just looked at the first post and got confused at the charts. Shadow Lab and Lab's charts are mixed up.

So I got to watching kaqn's aigis and finally have a hold on what I should be doing. No guarantees I'll be doing those high/low, high/high, low/high mixups like he does though.

That's the official power chart thingy I think. They probably consider her hard because you control two things at once but it's not even that hard to do. But she's really straight forward and the inputs are really simple for her just requires a little speed.

Well, the main problem with her is that her stupid red smoke thing covers half the screen and her axe is an overhead.

FSLink

Banned
Wait, Mitsuru is supposed to be Noob friendly? I found her reliance on charge moves to be difficult to adjust to (not to mention brutal on my thumbs). Then again, I still haven't found anyone I'm good with, just a handful I'm less bad with.

If you're using a pad, charge characters definitely take some work getting the inputs precise. If you're using a stick with a square gate, they're extremely easy, so that's probably where the opinion comes from.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Well, the main problem with her is that her stupid red smoke thing covers half the screen and her axe is an overhead.

Well that and once you score a knock down it becomes completely random guesses if you get hit or not. Reg lab has nothing like these things to help her, plus her normals are a bit slower.

Labs 2A+B and 2A are better though and if you can master lab the pay off is a more fun character that can be pretty god damn scary to fight against. She has lot's of little tricks to her that make her scary to fight.

I really hate fighting Chie online. It is nonstop with the combos and the flying and the screeching.
Gonna have to learn how to play as her next.
Honorary mention goes to Naoto, hate when people spam the gun and keep me on the other side of the screen for 75% of a round. Grr.

I know right! I main Chie and it's mix-up hell along with her screaming shit about dragons and martial arts. I hate fighting her too because just when you think you are blocking well, the opponent is adding in new stuff. Chie is a total psychopath and I love her :)

Deitus

If you're using a pad, charge characters definitely take some work getting the inputs precise. If you're using a stick with a square gate, they're extremely easy, so that's probably where the opinion comes from.

Ahhh, that explains it. Its a shame too, because I really like her moveset, but I struggle to combo into her charge thrust move or Bufula, and that seems to be a staple for her. I can pull it off in challenge/training mode when I'm focused solely on the one thing, and I can try it 2 dozen times until I get it right, but its 100 times less natural and more likely to fail for me than transitioning into a 236, 214, or even a 236 236 skill.

MechaX

Getting destroyed by a Teddie player who opened me up with bear claws.

With all this practice, I'm just not seeing where I'm going wrong at this point, and the game is starting to get frustrating again.

beanman25

I've got a Brawl stick from WWE all stars that is still in the box. Worth using for this game instead of my normal stock controller?

Akibared

With all this practice, I'm just not seeing where I'm going wrong at this point, and the game is starting to get frustrating again.

If that's giving you problems hit up training mode and practice dealing with that. =)

I've got a Brawl stick from WWE all stars that is still in the box. Worth using for this game instead of my normal stock controller?

Have you played with sticks before? It's fun but I remember it taking me a bit of time to get used to it on faster fighting games.

beanman25

If that's giving you problems hit up training mode and practice dealing with that. =)

Have you played with sticks before? It's fun but I remember it taking me a bit of time to get used to it on faster fighting games.

Not besides visits to the arcade which are few and far between. It would probably be worth it though, because I'd feel pretty awesome being decent with a stick.

FSLink

Banned

Yes, just don't get discouraged when you can't do 100% of everything you could on a pad, there's a bit of a learning curve. But it's definitely rewarding and you'll probably come to enjoy some of the benefits of using a stick (charge characters tend to be easier on a stick for most people, having all buttons accessible easily without macros, etc.).

Plus it's just fun, haha.

MechaX

Oh that's not even going to matter at this point. It doesn't matter how many hours I pour into training mode, who I play, how well I play, how many high damaging combos I connect, or how close I am to winning a match, I always, always manage to find a way to lose in the end.

Eh, I guess this game just really is not my forte.

Edit: Forget this post, way too much Salt in my system after that Teddie round. Still, my habit to somehow let entire matches slip from my grasp confounds me.

Nyoro SF

Wat? The pet character is the one you can imagine playing on a pad? LOL

Yeah, delayed button timing mid combo is no problemo on a pad. But doing something like Aigis stance cancel is um...

EDIT: Also the All Out Attacks must be really painful to mash out after a while.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
shut up, you play on a pad
I play everything on pad. Even your mom!

Yeah, delayed button timing mid combo is no problemo on a pad. But doing something like Aigis stance cancel is um...
Delayed button timing? What delayed timing? Surely you don't mean doing pet commands and attacks at the same exact freaking time mid combo

... are you trying to tell me... taping down twice is hard on a pad? Please tell me you are not telling me tapping down twice on a pad is hard.

EDIT: Also the All Out Attacks must be really painful to mash out after a while.
Nope you slap your thumb down over both buttons 5 times the end.

Try going to places like dustloop and learning as much as you can about Teddie, might find something helpful.

Sophia

... are you trying to tell me... taping down twice is hard on a pad? Please tell me you are not telling me tapping down twice on a pad is hard.

Tapping down twice is indeed difficult in the heat of things on the Dualshock 3's absolutely heinous directional pad. And it's even worse on the 360!

So easy on my awesome Fightpad... :(

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Does hitting AB five times each work?

Probably 6 times I was just throwing a number out I don't actually count my thumb does it on it's own... muscle memory >.>

Tapping down twice is indeed difficult in the heat of things on the Dualshock 3's absolutely heinous directional pad.
Wut? Do you have trouble air dashing? Do you have trouble back dashing? it's the same input but down. It's one of the easiest things you can do. It's moreso your muscle memory is bad with the motion right now than the motion being hard on a pad. You'd have as much trouble on a stick learning it.

Sophia

Wut? Do you have trouble air dashing? Do you have trouble back dashing? it's the same input but down. It's one of the easiest things you can do. It's moreso your muscle memory is bad with the motion right now than the motion being hard on a pad. You'd have as much trouble on a stick learning it.

Speaking from firsthand experience of playing Aigis against GAF, do you know how many goddamn times I've dashed forward instead of doing the intended Megido Fire!?

It's a nightmare I tell ya. I wish I could use anything else now. The Classic Controller Pro, my Madcatz Fightpad, an arcade stick, ANYTHING. o_o

(Fun little story: When I first got my Madcatz Fightpad I had to relearn the muscle memory for quarter circles, because it's so much more precise than the default 360/PS3 dpads. Once I got it down and found my SSF4 mains, I was actually winning matches consistently.)

Oh that's not even going to matter at this point. It doesn't matter how many hours I pour into training mode, who I play, how well I play, how many high damaging combos I connect, or how close I am to winning a match, I always, always manage to find a way to lose in the end.

Eh, I guess this game just really is not my forte.

Edit: Forget this post, way too much Salt in my system after that Teddie round. Still, my habit to somehow let entire matches slip from my grasp confounds me.
Are you saving your losses and looking over the footage? It sounds like you really need to identify your bad habits.

I have no idea what you guys are saying.

down down on pad is WAY easier than down down on stick

I could never play Platinum on a pad. 22 is impossible for me on a pad.

zlatko

Banned
So I've yet to see the reception on streams for this game, or from the pro scene. Are a lot of people picking it up? Is it hype?

Top Bottom