• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

yami4ct

Nothing quite like picking a main, going to training mode, setting the CPU to max and just working on blocking/countering. The game gets a lot simpler when you aren't eating combos nonstop.

Ok, as long as I'm soliciting tips, how do you counter? I can block pretty well now, for someone who's just starting anyway, and am starting to be able to pick out when my opponent will go high or low, but I've yet to learn how to get a counter in.

Shouta

I could understand Marvel, but Persona? Really?

There's some seriously obvious BS in this too. I mean Marvel is like BS in general because of X-Factor but at least that works for everyone. Offensive Furious Actions are way more powerful than Defensive ones, recovery on quite a lot of attacks being too fast, high/low being really ridiculous with personas, etc are just a few examples of stuff that's just makes me go "what?" I mean, Naoto has 2 ways of IKing you and it still feels like that's not enough compared to the shenanigans a lot of other characters have and she has one of the lowest life totals in the game.

Sophia

You have issues if P4a makes you rage. It's got cheap shit, but it's not like marvel where you get put into the dumpster in less than 5 secs. I actually have fun playing this game as opposed to SFIV where that game makes me rage at the dumb shit people get away with that doesn't work in any other fighting game.

Hilariously enough, I've never raged while playing Marvel. Although I've certainly gotten frustrated at Street Fighter before. =P

Yeah that was me, I'm definitely going to get a controller or stick something, but it won't be til September at the very earliest.

Take a break.

Everyone loses to stupid stuff.

Anyone up for a couple matches (PS3)? I'll mainly be using Yukiko and my 1 hour Yosuke (getting a little tired of using Yu...)

=/ Sucks to hear that. Take a break from this game and I hope that you'll get a new controller soon so you can have more matches with PersonaGAF.

SMH. Guy should have sold his game; you're not sending a message by breaking it (outside of you looking like a dumbass).

Hit me up.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Ok, as long as I'm soliciting tips, how do you counter? I can block pretty well now, for someone who's just starting anyway, and am starting to be able to pick out when my opponent will go high or low, but I've yet to learn how to get a counter in.
It depends on the character - some have command counters and all of those are their own world really. But when I say counter I typically just mean understanding what you can and can't do to assertively get people off of you. Mainly seeing the gaps in their attack pattern and blockstrings. When it is and isn't safe to return fire basically.

So many people hop into fighting games and have no idea how to block anything then get mad at the world when its their own fault for not simply blocking low or teching throws. If you can get defense down first, then you make the game sooooooo much easier because your opponent has to think harder as well.

Offense can come later imo

MechaX

I never raged too hard at SF4 (except for one time when one of my friends got scary good with Sagat... but I made sure to pay him back with interest the next time around) or Marvel.

But this game... God, fuck Kanji and fuck Chie A spammers.

There's some seriously obvious BS in this too. I mean Marvel is like BS in general because of X-Factor but at least that works for everyone. Offensive Furious Actions are way more powerful than Defensive ones, recovery on quite a lot of attacks being too fast, high/low being really ridiculous with personas, etc are just a few examples of stuff that's just makes me go "what?" I mean, Naoto has 2 ways of IKing you and it still feels like that's not enough compared to the shenanigans a lot of other characters have and she has one of the lowest life totals in the game.

All the BS is usually heavily warned though.

Orgia aigis overhead being stupid fast is obvious because she has to be in orgia mode.

Yukiko unblockable is obvious because of the firebreak or the high/low "unblockable" setup with the persona.

Naoto IK is fair because you have to make numerous mistakes to have 0 fate counters.

etc etc

I have some issues but its not nearly the same as marvel.

edit

Wait what high low? There isn't a high low as fast as Magneto mvc3 or mvc3. Nor are there instant overheads where you have to guess the block. Lastly kanji's dp is mostly defensive (you never use it offensively) and its the best dp in the game.

yami4ct

It depends on the character - some have command counters and all of those are their own world really. But when I say counter I typically just mean understanding what you can and can't do to assertively get people off of you. Mainly seeing the gaps in their attack pattern and blockstrings. When it is and isn't safe to return fire basically.

So many people hop into fighting games and have no idea how to block anything then get mad at the world when its their own fault for not simply blocking low or teching throws. If you can get defense down first, then you make the game sooooooo much easier because your opponent has to think harder as well.

Offense can come later imo

Guess the advice my friend gave of "First, learn to block" was spot on. Really glad to hear that. It's certainly helped. The games I've won online have all been against other, clearly new players who only know how to mash their auto-combo and a couple other techniques and don't block themselves. I made a Yu player super angry when I just blocked or jumped over the lighting he constantly threw.

Young Magus

Nothing quite like picking a main, going to training mode, setting the CPU to max and just working on blocking/countering. The game gets a lot simpler when you aren't eating combos nonstop.

Ya know what I might do this(cpu to 100) next time I play, question is who do I main. Yo DY you saw a good amount of my play "style" right? Who do I have a better chance of maining Yosuke or Naoto?

Having to press a button to turn around in midair is the stupidest thing ever. It's so unnatural.

I actually like that feature. Its probably to balance it by not having people with dumb ass hit boxes that hit both sides.

The turn around lets you have cool options such as jump CD* air dash forward CD then do whatever you want or vice versa. You create new arcs and new air dash spacing.

CD* change directions

Shouta

Uh, there's a lot of other stuff that isn't easily warned.

Recovery on a bunch of attacks being ridiculous is a big one that comes to mind, Mitsuru getting a free chance to do two auto-combos even if I blocked the first one, Yu's Cross-blade being unpunishable (or Kuma's Circus, or Aigis' shield rush, etc). Then there are Yu and Mitsuru's Furious Actions being ridiculously buff. Kanji and Aigis are good but at least they have some holes in it, and a bunch of other stuff.

Wait what high low? There isn't a high low as fast as Magneto mvc3 or mvc3. Nor are there instant overheads where you have to guess the block. Lastly kanji's dp is mostly defensive (you never use it offensively) and its the best dp in the game.

You haven't encountered someone that was ridiculous inside with the persona yet, have you? I ran into a Chie the other night that once she got in and if i didn't have burst with Naoto, it was almost impossible for me to block because there were attacks going everywhere. Blocked my attempt at an all-out attack and kept it up too >=(

Busaiku

Yu's Cross-blade being unpunishable (or Kuma's Circus, or Aigis' shield rush, etc).

Circus Bear is completely punishable, Teddie is exposed when falling.
Pretty sure Cross Slash is as well, I'm pretty sure I've hit someone with A Bear Screw afterwards, though it's possible they weren't blocking.
And I think Aigis can be punished when using that rush thing as well, if you have an attack that can go through and get in close enough (Bear Screw does this), though again, they might just not have been blocking.

yami4ct

Did some more blocking practice which has led me to another super basic questions. How important is it to try to get instant blocks vs just holding back. I realize the instant has a quicker recovery time, but it's super difficult to time.

Did some more blocking practice which has led me to another super basic questions. How important is it to try to get instant blocks vs just holding back. I realize the instant has a quicker recovery time, but it's super difficult to time.

Well, it's important in the sense that it'll allow you to punish stuff that you otherwise wouldn't be able to, but don't force yourself to do it if you're not sure you'll get it. Not getting hit is more important.

Solune

Orgia aigis overhead being stupid fast is obvious because she has to be in orgia mode.

Orgia Aigis overhead is insanely hard to block, the fact that you she can sweep cancel into it is retarded. It's as bad as Magneto easily.
I actually like that feature. Its probably to balance it by not having people with dumb ass hit boxes that hit both sides.

Not everyone has one but there are still ambiguous crossups without having to turn, fucken Aigis.

Shouta

Circus Bear is completely punishable, Teddie is exposed when falling.
Pretty sure Cross Slash is as well, I'm pretty sure I've hit someone with A Bear Screw afterwards, though it's possible they weren't blocking.
And I think Aigis can be punished when using that rush thing as well, if you have an attack that can go through and get in close enough (Bear Screw does this), though again, they might just not have been blocking.

I couldn't with an actual combo on Circus Bear, guy came down legs swinging lol. Though I guess a ranged shot or a super well-placed poke works. I haven't been able to punish cross-slash or The Shield Rush in close yet. I guess it could be because of it being online I dunno.

do it if you can do it safely. gives you meter and 2 frames adv

Uh, there's a lot of other stuff that isn't easily warned.

Recovery on a bunch of attacks being ridiculous is a big one that comes to mind, Mitsuru getting a free chance to do two auto-combos even if I blocked the first one, Yu's Cross-blade being unpunishable (or Kuma's Circus, or Aigis' shield rush, etc). Then there are Yu and Mitsuru's Furious Actions being ridiculously buff. Kanji and Aigis are good but at least they have some holes in it, and a bunch of other stuff.

You haven't encountered someone that was ridiculous inside with the persona yet, have you? I ran into a Chie the other night that once she got in and if i didn't have burst with Naoto, it was almost impossible for me to block because there were attacks going everywhere. Blocked my attempt at an all-out attack and kept it up too >=(

Cross Slash is negative on block. Yes it is unpunishable but they wasted 50 sp and you can roll through it after the super flash I believe if your timing is good.

Mitsu is just naturally a safe character. That is her whole archetype. She is a poke/frame trap base character. Yes she is strong but that is the nature of games. There will always be strong chars.

Shield Rush is definitely punishable. I punished it multiple times.

Teddie's unblockable set him up in a bad situation. A lot of character can air unblockable counter hit him free.

Yu/Mitsuru dp are just good dps. Doesn't make them broken or overpowered.

Chie high/low isn't nearly as fast as mvc2/mvc3 high/lows. Not even close nor do they kill you. Its her pressure that is deadly and you screw up because its a setup that anybody can see in which its nonstop pressure unless you know the holes in it. Its not a free combo starter, there are holes. Them blocking your all out attack means they read you and reacted accordingly.

Orgia Aigis overhead is insanely hard to block, the fact that you she can sweep cancel into it is retarded. It's as bad as Magneto easily.

Not everyone has one but there are still ambiguous crossups without having to turn, fucken Aigis.

ScottTenormanMustDie30.gif

Sorry, I had to do it. I'd feel sympathy but you use Mitsuru. You'll out bs me soon. Mitsuru is Aigis' worst matchup.

Busaiku

I still can't believe I spent the $18 for the Navigators, especially when I'm only gonna be using Teddie...
What is wrong with me?

yami4ct

Thanks everyone here. I'm happy to find a fighting game thread willing to help a completely clueless, new player out. All the tips have been really helpful, especially the macro one. It's made getting my SB moves, something I was having a ton of trouble with, much easier. After I get some more practice in, you'll certainly be seeing more of me.

Alright, I think I'm done for now.

Good games TWILT. Your Yukiko is good.

You should take advantage of that pretty much instant jab more. It stuffed everything I tried to do when you used it.

TWILT

Banned
Alright, I think I'm done for now.

Good games TWILT. Your Yukiko is good.

You should take advantage of that pretty much instant jab more. It stuffed everything I tried to do when you used it.

Good games PoorFate. Sorry for leaving without warning; randomly disconnected for me =/

I'll take note of that. Your Naoto's really good though. I always it was GG for me when you landed Mudo in the corner lol.

Twilt picks yukiko? Did he always =O
I'm no pro with her, but she is my sub. =P

Shouta

Cross Slash is negative on block. Yes it is unpunishable but they wasted 50 sp and you can roll through it after the super flash I believe if your timing is good.

How negative? I couldn't punish it with Naoto when I've blocked it myself. I mean I guess it could be because it's online but I really don't know.

Mitsu is just naturally a safe character. That is her whole archetype. She is a poke/frame trap base character. Yes she is strong but that is the nature of games. There will always be strong chars.

There's nothing wrong with a character being strong because she's a poke and frame trap based character, it's being safe all the time because of it that's the problem. I'd be ok with her specials being pretty safe but that A combo's speed and recovery is just ridiculous.

Shield Rush is definitely punishable. I punished it multiple times.

I haven't been able to punish it, I think. I was right next to Aigis and was swinging A and the guy blocked it still for whatever reason. I'll have to set the AI up later and see but I couldn't do it online.

Teddie's unblockable set him up in a bad situation. A lot of character can air unblockable counter hit him free.

I confirmed it with a buddy of mine that plays Teddie but he can come down swinging attacks if he misses the Circus Bear. You can punish him for it but it's not going to be big free damage.

Yu/Mitsuru dp are just good dps. Doesn't make them broken or overpowered.

You're kidding me right? Compared to Yousuke, Naoto, and Kuma's FAs? Heck, even Chie's on the ground is horrible in comparison. Yu and Mitsuru's FAs are far more powerful than most everyone else's in the game in terms of being a defensive move. That's how it is in general for the FAs, the counter-hit ones aren't nearly as good as the offensive orientated ones that do an actual attack rather than take a hit to activate.

Chie high/low isn't nearly as fast as mvc2/mvc3. Not even close. Its her pressure that is deadly and you screw up because its a setup that anybody can see in which its nonstop pressure unless you know the holes in it. Its not a free combo starter, there are holes. Them blocking your all out attack means they read you and reacted accordingly.

Creating a high low guessing game isn't just about fast it's about number of attacks/length, forced blocked situations and the options you can get. I wish I had a cap card to show this replay. It's not impossible but it'd be pretty inhuman to get away from it damage free without using a boost.

Busaiku

Teddie cannot block at all after Circus Bear.
Yeah, he can use his A or B or any other attack, but you don't have to rely on only your unblockable for it.

Shouta

Teddie cannot block at all after Circus Bear.
Yeah, he can use his A or B or any other attack, but you don't have to rely on only your unblockable for it.

Yeah, but being able to attack means is pretty significant compared to not being able to do anything until you land. Kind of limits it for some characters that want to punish him if they dodge that rolling ball.

Also, I just tested Cross Slash against Yu and the pushback on block makes it really hard to punish him at all with Naoto. I can get 1 hit in if I'm next to him in the corner and block it but that's about it. I can't run in and punish him and he'd be able to block before any other attack could come out.

Edit: Ok Aigis' Shield Rush is punishable, must've been an online thing.

Onemic

How do you know when you can begin attacking Yu when in blockstun? It seems like his blockstrings can go on forever. Even times that I think I can get a jab on him like after he does his dive kick sword thing it just gets me countered by a 2A.

cj_iwakura

I THINK just Chie, Yukiko, and Kanji but I could be wrong, and yes, they're totall worth it.

Doesn't everyone get one?

Also, started Akihiko's story. Awesome from the start, worlds better than the P4 ones dragging then getting awesome.

Wow, just like the games they're from!

Chavelo

Doesn't everyone get one?

Also, started Akihiko's story. Awesome from the start, worlds better than the P4 ones dragging then getting awesome.

Joke endings? No, I don't think so. Cleared the story mode 100%, and only got those three ending with an abrupt "END".

All of them weird. XD

How negative? I couldn't punish it with Naoto when I've blocked it myself. I mean I guess it could be because it's online but I really don't know.

There's nothing wrong with a character being strong because she's a poke and frame trap based character, it's being safe all the time because of it that's the problem. I'd be ok with her specials being pretty safe but that A combo's speed and recovery is just ridiculous.

I haven't been able to punish it, I think. I was right next to Aigis and was swinging A and the guy blocked it still for whatever reason. I'll have to set the AI up later and see but I couldn't do it online.

I confirmed it with a buddy of mine that plays Teddie but he can come down swinging attacks if he misses the Circus Bear. You can punish him for it but it's not going to be big free damage.

You're kidding me right? Compared to Yousuke, Naoto, and Kuma's FAs? Heck, even Chie's on the ground is horrible in comparison. Yu and Mitsuru's FAs are far more powerful than most everyone else's in the game in terms of being a defensive move. That's how it is in general for the FAs, the counter-hit ones aren't nearly as good as the offensive orientated ones that do an actual attack rather than take a hit to activate.

Creating a high low guessing game isn't just about fast it's about number of attacks/length, forced blocked situations and the options you can get. I wish I had a cap card to show this replay. It's not impossible but it'd be pretty inhuman to get away from it damage free without using a boost.

I said its unpunishable. People don't know frames but its definitely negative.

Her coup is negative. Its safe but negative. Her A also is slow in comparison to some of the cast and thus you have the ability to mount an offense. Yes it is difficult against a good mitsuru but its not impossible. There is a vid of a high level japanese play of Liz vs Mitsu and they were trading wins left and right (the match is 7-3 in mitsu favor).

I have punished Perorist hard drive super a few times. I'll test it later.

I never said their dp wasn't good. It is clearly good but its not game breaking. You just have to respect it and that is that. Yu you can punish quite clean. Not 100% sure about mitsu but I would assume its the same case.

And after the teddie unblockable he is in the air and can't move. You get a free anti air unblockable with majority of the cast. If you're one of the few that don't you get a free mixup/setup because he can't move. Its a really bad idea to just throw them out.

Lastly those oki setups have holes in them. They aren't fool-proof and guarantee setup. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKLJzWCoF3Y Here are some of the ways out of the setup (not all).

edit

I'll agree with you that there are some things that make the difficult for the defender at times but its nothing other 2d fighters have done somewhere down the line.

Top Bottom