• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Mash hard enough to get 15 hits total with an AOA, which gets you a Fatal Counter when you do the Launcher.

It's not 15 hits. It's 17, I've done 15 hits in the past and launcher/C'ed them and it doesn't count it as a fatal counter. :/

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
It's not 15 hits. It's 17, I've done 15 hits in the past and launcher/C'ed them and it doesn't count it as a fatal counter. :/
It's definitely 15

The 16th is the fatal counter/launcher, you probably did an extra hit or two as a follow up combo

Sophia

... annnd I think I'm done with this game until I get another controller. Too sick and tired of somehow having gatling guns and then Aigis's special happen when I didn't even input the button combination for it. Plus I'm only getting more fustrated and losing more and more.

... annnd I think I'm done with this game until I get another controller. Too sick and tired of somehow having gatling guns and then Aigis's special happen when I didn't even input the button combination for it. Plus I'm only getting more fustrated and losing more and more.

=( are you playing rank and random 1 sets?

For instance I had tons of fun fighting Airtola at AX in casual even though I lost like 10+ games in a row. It was the learning experience and playing a competent player that was fun. But I can relate if its just a bunch of rank matches.

I see that the salt has claimed its first victim

tumblr_m8owhjVCGo1qemjhxo1_500.jpg

...I still don't get why people won't just sell it instead.

Noi

I do not comprehend.

For instance I had tons of fun fighting Airtola at AX in casual even though I lost like 10+ games in a row. It was the learning experience and playing a competent player that was fun. But I can relate if its just a bunch of rank matches.

Marrshu's thing isn't the game itself, it's the DS3 pad. Which as a fellow person with big hands, I can't understand the issue with it.

Sophia

I'm playing both ranked and player matches. It doesn't really seem to matter. I've actually gotten worse at the game because now I'm self-conscious of all my flaws.

What the hell? Why would anyone do that? I'd get the shit beat out of me if I even considered that...

I do not comprehend.

Marrshu's thing isn't the game itself, it's the DS3 pad. Which as a fellow person with big hands, I can't understand the issue with it.

Do you know how many times I've somehow inputed the wrong combination? I'm frankly at a loss for words. Losing to a Yosuke with like 3% health because the game somehow registered "236A" is the most frustrating thing in the world, and it about damn near brought me to tears.

LOL where is that from?

I'm playing both ranked and player matches. It doesn't really seem to matter. I've actually gotten worse at the game because now I'm self-conscious of all my flaws.

=(. Its hard to say. Wish there was a online training mode so I could watch stuff but then again I don't have a mic.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Don't let losing bug you. I dropped a solid 12 straight before I learned how to deal with mid-screen Liz today and started breaking even. I just treat it like a puzzle - make sure you got all the pieces going into a match (some easy and reliable BnBs, basic concept of the character and game, how to defend yourself and block most importantly) and work from there. Gotta see what works for you best. One step at a time.

Nobody is top-tier from day one.

Except Q.

And as for the controller - try re-mapping and claw. I use a pad and I've actually moved A to the O button to get myself out of the habit of mashing certain combinations. Weird, I know, but it works for me.

Sophia

Don't let losing bug you. I dropped a solid 12 straight before I learned how to deal with mid-screen Liz today and started breaking even. I just treat it like a puzzle - make sure you got all the pieces going into a match (some easy and reliable BnBs, basic concept of the character and game, how to defend yourself and block most importantly) and work from there. Gotta see what works for you best. One step at a time.

Nobody is top-tier from day one.

Except Q.

And as for the controller - try re-mapping and claw. I use a pad and I've actually moved A to the O button to get myself out of the habit of mashing certain combinations. Weird, I know, but it works for me.

It's not about losing. It's about losing to the stupidest shit. See the Yosuke example above. There is no reason I should have lost that at all. My patience has quite simply run out.

I might try the claw tip, but probably not tonight. I've lost all motivation to play now.

Noi

Do you know how many times I've somehow inputed the wrong combination? I'm frankly at a loss for words. Losing to a Yosuke with like 3% health because the game somehow registered "236A" is the most frustrating thing in the world, and it about damn near brought me to tears.

I'm aware of what your problem is, but I can't relate because I've never had problems with the DS3's pad with wrong inputs, and my thumb also covers the entire cross. Hell, I bought a stick to play this game with and I ended up going back to my DS3 just because the DS3 was a lot comfier for this game's setup. I know Q mentioned how he holds his already, and I don't play any differently from how he does.

Edit: Found a picture that shows what my hand layout on the DS3 is.

Xevren

It's not about losing. It's about losing to the stupidest shit. See the Yosuke example above. There is no reason I should have lost that at all. My patience has quite simply run out.

I might try the claw tip, but probably not tonight. I've lost all motivation to play now.

Have you tried getting a fightpad for your ps3? I saw you say you really liked the one you had for your 360 or whatever. Unless I'm off my rocker and mixing up all you guys that have Aigis avatars.

Sophia

Have you tried getting a fightpad for your ps3? I saw you say you really liked the one you had for your 360 or whatever. Unless I'm off my rocker and mixing up all you guys that have Aigis avatars.

Yeah that was me, I'm definitely going to get a controller or stick something, but it won't be til September at the very earliest.

Ken

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8owhjVCGo1qemjhxo1_500.jpg[IMG]

...I still don't get why people won't just sell it instead.[/QUOTE]

I won't lie. Sometimes I feel like doing that at some of the stuff that works in ranked.

[spoiler]I wouldn't really do it.[/spoiler]

AutumnAve

Hey P4A GAF, I know my psn tag is in the OT, and some good folks have added me to play, but I just wanted to give a heads-up that I just can't afford the game right now ;_; I'm super frustrated, and I'll probably just trade in some old stuff
I HATE TRADING IN GAMES, GODDAMMIT.
this weekend, maybe. It pisses me off no end that I'm not having fun with you guys. -_-

Edit: What the fuck, man? Somebody snapped their disc? UGH. That infuriates me.

cj_iwakura

Welcome to every fighting game ever. Take a break and come back, you'll do better.

I'll take an invite if any matches are going.

yami4ct

I think I'm not alone in this, but this is the first fighting game I'm seriously trying to play. I played a bit of the new MK, but nothing to much. It's been slow going, but a lot of fun. Once I found a character I liked, Liz, I was able to start to develop some basic strategies. I still know next to nothing, but I've managed to win a couple matches. Working on blocking has helped a lot, but I still need a lot of work.

My main problem has been finding tutorials friendly to someone as completely clueless as me. Everything I'm finding are combo tutorials, which are great but a little too much for my current level, or seem to be trying to introduce people familiar with other fighting games to this one. I end up feeling like I'm missing like 2/3 of the most basic play ideas. I certainly am loving and having with the game, but it can feel like an uphill battle at times.

I think I'm not alone in this, but this is the first fighting game I'm seriously trying to play. I played a bit of the new MK, but nothing to much. It's been slow going, but a lot of fun. Once I found a character I liked, Liz, I was able to start to develop some basic strategies. I still know next to nothing, but I've managed to win a couple matches. Working on blocking has helped a lot, but I still need a lot of work.

My main problem has been finding tutorials friendly to someone as completely clueless as me. Everything I'm finding are combo tutorials, which are great but a little too much for my current level, or seem to be trying to introduce people familiar with other fighting games to this one. I end up feeling like I'm missing like 2/3 of the most basic play ideas. I certainly am loving and having with the game, but it can feel like an uphill battle at times.

Well what do you need to learn? A lot of basic stuff can be learned through ultrachen twitch show thats mon/tues on twitch.tv/ultrachen. They also upload there stuff on youtube.

Even though most of it is street fighter, marvel related the fundamental knowledge can transfer to this game.
http://www.youtube.com/user/UltraChenTV/videos?sort=dd&view=0&page=3

Ask any question and I may be able to help you out. Things like spacing, zoning, mixup, resets, and etc.

yami4ct

Well what do you need to learn? A lot of basic stuff can be learned through ultrachen twitch show thats mon/tues on twitch.tv/ultrachen. They also upload there stuff on youtube.

Even though most of it is street fighter, marvel related the fundamental knowledge can transfer to this game.
http://www.youtube.com/user/UltraChenTV/videos?sort=dd&view=0&page=3

Ask any question and I may be able to help you out. Things like spacing, zoning, mixup, resets, and etc.

I think I need to start with stuff even MORE basic, haha. Right now, one of the major problems I have is finding the best way to hit 2-buttons on the DS3 at once. I've been laying my thumb across both at once, but I'm not as accurate as I would like. I'm thinking that it's more of a practice issue than anything.

I guess the other thing is just not know exactly what to practice, as there are so many mechanics to keep track of. After blocking, where do I go next? Do I try working on getting in small combos? Dodging? Setting my opponent up for potential combos? There's way too much to work on.

I think I need to start with stuff even MORE basic, haha. Right now, one of the major problems I have is finding the best way to hit 2-buttons on the DS3 at once. I've been laying my thumb across both at once, but I'm not as accurate as I would like. I'm thinking that it's more of a practice issue than anything.

if play on pad macro everything if possible lol.

If you can make AB=button 1, ABD= button 2, ABC = button 3 and AC = button 4 you'll be golden.

AB gives you access to All out attacks and blowback
ABD gives you all burst options
ABC gives you one more cancel
AC gives you hops and rolls

yami4ct

if play on pad macro everything if possible lol.

If you can make AB=button 1, ABD= button 2, ABC = button 3 and AC = button 4 you'll be golden.

AB gives you access to All out attacks and blowback
ABD gives you all burst options
ABC gives you one more cancel
AC gives you hops and rolls

That was the first thing I found in the options. Burst and Cancel were set to triggers already and I set the other two from stick clicks to the other triggers. I've just found myself having trouble for throws and SB moves.

Since you mentioned canceling, I guess I'll ask about that. I get the basic idea, canceling another move to be able to continue into a bigger combo, but I can't figure out exactly when that's useful. I guess I need tips on recognizing when performing a cancel would be advantages.

TWILT

Banned
Anyone up for a couple matches (PS3)? I'll mainly be using Yukiko and my 1 hour Yosuke (getting a little tired of using Yu...)
=/ Sucks to hear that. Take a break from this game and I hope that you'll get a new controller soon so you can have more matches with PersonaGAF.

SMH. Guy should have sold his game; you're not sending a message by breaking it (outside of you looking like a dumbass).

That was the first thing I found in the options. Burst and Cancel were set to triggers already and I set the other two from stick clicks to the other triggers. I've just found myself having trouble for throws and SB moves.

Well you could take off ABC off then and just make it CD. That way you have AB and CD which are the most common SBs.

And if you ever need to do ABC you can just press the button for AB and press C manually at the same time.

yami4ct

Well you could take off ABC off then and just make it CD. That way you have AB and CD which are the most common SBs.

And if you ever need to do ABC you can just press the button for AB and press C manually at the same time.

Now that you say that, it clears up a huge misconception for me. I didn't realize the buttons were macros. I though they just triggered things like burst and AOA. The fact you can use those instead of hitting the buttons for SBs makes things WAY more clear.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Nothing quite like picking a main, going to training mode, setting the CPU to max and just working on blocking/countering. The game gets a lot simpler when you aren't eating combos nonstop.

Now that you say that, it clears up a huge misconception for me. I didn't realize the buttons were macros. I though they just triggered things like burst and AOA. The fact you can use those instead of hitting the buttons for SBs makes things WAY more clear.

Yeah it should work.. if im not mistake. I play on stick so I'm not 100% sure.

vocab

You have issues if P4a makes you rage. It's got cheap shit, but it's not like marvel where you get put into the dumpster in less than 5 secs. I actually have fun playing this game as opposed to SFIV where that game makes me rage at the dumb shit people get away with that doesn't work in any other fighting game.

Top Bottom