• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Noi

You know there is a gap between the 2nd and 3rd hit of the auto combo. Some char can dp through. Also 2a comes out faster than 5a on some characters.

Ah, didn't realize. Though in 2A's case, there's only one small problem...

la230_03.png

That's different than me, my thumb is higher up on the dpad. the middle joint is where the middle of the dpad is so I just have to move it around a tiny bit to get full 360 motions.

Huh. Feels a little weird, but I can see how this could work. I'll have to give that a try tomorrow.

Man, how do you guys play with the D-Pad for long periods of time without dying?
I only ever use it if I have to go left.

I know personally with the ps3 d-pad I have just learned to deal with the pain. My thumb is extremely double jointed so the joint takes all the pressure and I have actually ended up breaking bones in my thumb from playing fighting games.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I dont want your fucken sympathy. I want a fucken runback.

:LOL

Huh. Feels a little weird, but I can see how this could work. I'll have to give that a try tomorrow.
It's way way fucking faster, there is no delay of having your thumb move around to hit directions. The middle of your thumb pretty much becomes a joystick in neutral position. This works on a ps pad because of the hole in the center of it that your thumb gets to rest in. Doesn't work that great on others.

Personally, part of the reason I did not buy this game is the above. I've never played a Persona game, though I want to.

Yeah I just recently finished p3p this year so I have an understanding of the universe. Then I watched the anime because I wanted atleast a background in the basics of what the fuck happen.

Ah, didn't realize. Though in 2A's case, there's only one small problem...

la230_03.png

yu230_02.png

lol

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Honestly, if you are using yukiko vs shadow lab rush that bitch down once you get the set up right. Both of the labs reversal options are hot garbage.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I'm OK with Mitsuru's DP being ridunkulous since it's so hard for her to regain control after blocking attacks up close that are slightly negative. She has godlike pokes at midrange but shit is too slow to use effectively point-blank. If you're expecting her to DP, you can just delay your attack slightly and not run much risk of being counterhit. Similar to delayed metay throw in SF4 that will bait ultras/fast DPs, but throw them or tech otherwise.

In any case, I think this is the only fighting game to have an actual canon explanation for why dudes can't move backwards when they get to a certain point on the screen, even when there's no wall in sight.

Yeah I just recently finished p3p this year so I have an understanding of the universe. Then I watched the anime because I wanted atleast a background in the basics of what the fuck happen.

You should be fine with story mode then, that's pretty much my situation. Hell, it's kinda more spoilerish about P3 anyways.

go figure that 5A would be yukiko best anti air against IAD chie jump B. 5C trades (and I lose that trade). fans is risky due to recovery but 5A beats it pretty clean if you have the reactions.

You should be fine with story mode then, that's pretty much my situation. Hell, it's kinda more spoilerish about P3 anyways.

ah thanks

I really wished there was a guide or frame data for this game. Trying to judge frames by eye is pretty difficult when you're trying to see what punishes or not.

Well atleast I got my OMB throw combo down incase I ever go in that situation where I air throw and don't have meter to OMC even though the dmg is like 3k lol.

FSLink

Banned
Really liking Yu's playstyle at the moment. :p Still need to get a grasp on his better combos with Izanagi, but I really enjoy his playstyle.

Dantis

I wonder how old he is. Kid has issues to say the least. I would have gotten the shit beat out of me if I broke a game that was $60+ just like that.

Also, he needs a better hairstyle. And better clothing.

He looks about 17 or 18 to me.

And to be honest, I think it's pretty funny. A lot of people on the comments seem genuinely pissed about it. Nothing like getting a rise out of angry Internet people.

Sophia

He looks about 17 or 18 to me.

And to be honest, I think it's pretty funny. A lot of people on the comments seem genuinely pissed about it. Nothing like getting a rise out of angry Internet people.

I don't think there's any humor in throwing money away, but I've always lived on a low-class income. Although getting a rise out of angry internet people can be genuinely funny at times.

Dantis

I don't think there's any humor in throwing money away, but I've always lived on a low-class income. Although getting a rise out of angry internet people can be genuinely funny at times.

Yeah, so have I. It's not something I'd ever do, but if somebody else does it I'm okay with it.

If it was a significant copy of the game, like signed by the developers or something, I'd be pissed. As it is, it's a standard $60 copy, so it was dumb, but insignificant. The way some people are talking to/about him, you'd think he'd slaughtered their first-born.

zlatko

Banned
GG's again last night Chavelo. I'm hella fraaaaaaay still. I keep doing dumbass auto combo when I get the chance to punish you off a blocked sword/foot dive, but even then sometimes a quick 2A doesn't come out faster than the DP follow up you do.

In fact, DP is the hardest thing in that match up for Akihiko to deal with trying to go in on Yu.

It FEELS like the match up is in Yu's favor just due to his space control against Akihiko, but then again I suck so who knows? :p

Also, got my first rage quitter last night so I felt good. :D

I hate fighting good Elizabeth's with my Chie, fucking hell :) Went 10 and 2 against a B+ Lizzy last night and my god, I need some help. Any body got some pointers? Any Chie players know a combo starting from Black Spot that doesn't use 1More? Thanks.

Jesus Christ.

tumblr_m8owhjVCGo1qemjhxo1_500.jpg

I'll admit I've broken a controller or two.. or three. But God DAMN is that taking it a bit far.

You know what Chie does to people that break discs?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Is there a ps3 gaf chat room like there was for street fighter 4? And if so can I get an invite? (slayn777)

Finally finished the story mode and ready to get my face punched in tonight

sca2511

I may be pretty late on this, but I was so pissed that I couldn't play the game at my GF's house since she has a Japanese PS3. Didn't see that it was region locked till after I tried.

Nyoro SF

Any tips for dealing with Labrys's grapple?

I've been struggling against this thing as a Yukiko player and even my attempts to stop it in training mode have been rather fruitless. Notes:

1) It goes through all projectiles.
2) All followups to it at mid range are a true blockstring (can't reversal).
3) Can go either low or high which immediately leads into another mixup.
4) Easy at breaking Persona calls.
5) Recovers too quickly to punish with anything other than an extremely low to the ground airdash.
6) Can't interrupt or hit it with normal attacks!

Looks like all I can do is jump and chuck fans, but jumping fan throws should be done rarely due to the ground recovery...

Beckx

I'm giving up on Liz for now, even though I like the look & feel of the character (I'm playing P3P right now, so a character that could use Zio, Bufu and Garu appealed to me). I just can't get her starters and combos to work for me.

Focusing on Naoto and potentially Akihiko (mainly because he's one of my favorite characters in P3P).

I feel like I understand Naoto's playstyle and it works for me, even if I can't execute very well. (One stupid noob question - I understand how SMP loops work, but what does the SMP stand for?) Still not sure whether I will main her, because outside of her playstyle, there's not much about the character that appeals to me, and I like playing a character that interests me (backstory, visuals, etc.) So I'm want to keep working on Akihiko - any tips on basic playstyle, what to watch out for, etc.?

I'd love to get in some sets with 360 players this week (assuming my net connection behaves).

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Ya know what I might do this(cpu to 100) next time I play, question is who do I main. Yo DY you saw a good amount of my play "style" right? Who do I have a better chance of maining Yosuke or Naoto?

Sorry - just saw this

but no matter who you choose to main you should be sure to take advantage of all of their options. as yosuke you have be in constant motion and with naoto you have to diversify your attack pattern because being one dimensional with her will get you bodied with the quickness

i honestly think your style fits chie more than anything
I'm giving up on Liz for now, even though I like the look & feel of the character (I'm playing P3P right now, so a character that could use Zio, Bufu and Garu appealed to me). I just can't get her starters and combos to work for me.

Focusing on Naoto and potentially Akihiko (mainly because he's one of my favorite characters in P3P).

I feel like I understand Naoto's playstyle and it works for me, even if I can't execute very well. (One stupid noob question - I understand how SMP loops work, but what does the SMP stand for?) Still not sure whether I will main her, because outside of her playstyle, there's not much about the character that appeals to me, and I like playing a character that interests me (backstory, visuals, etc.) So I'm want to keep working on Akihiko - any tips on basic playstyle, what to watch out for, etc.?

I'd love to get in some sets with 360 players this week (assuming my net connection behaves).
Akihiko? Understand spacing. Roll is your friend (and many times a greater alternative than Weave). Get simple BnBs that you can crank out reliably - with him its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better to know how to get in and play mind games with people than it is to bank everything on high damage combos (where you are instantly buttnaked and wide open if you whiff during his triple weave stuff).

edit: also, Akihiko mirrors are the best thing I've ever experienced.

Top Bottom