• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Good games PoorFate. Sorry for leaving without warning; randomly disconnected for me =/

I'll take note of that. Your Naoto's really good though. I always it was GG for me when you landed Mudo in the corner lol.

I'm no pro with her, but she is my sub. =P

You did pretty good though. You should consider playing her more up close because that jab is really good and leads to big damage. Same thing with the air version.

That fire break powered maragidyne trick is also nice. Kept on trying to jump out of it but I never did end up getting the trajectory right.

Yeah, but being able to attack means is pretty significant compared to not being able to do anything until you land. Kind of limits it for some characters that want to punish him if they dodge that rolling ball.

Also, I just tested Cross Slash against Yu and the pushback on block makes it really hard to punish him at all with Naoto. I can get 1 hit in if I'm next to him in the corner and block it but that's about it. I can't run in and punish him and he'd be able to block before any other attack could come out.

Edit: Ok Aigis' Shield Rush is punishable, must've been an online thing.

Block Cross Slash.
Try to punish Cross Slash
Get Cross Slashed again.

Story of my online life.

How do you know when you can begin attacking Yu when in blockstun? It seems like his blockstrings can go on forever. Even times that I think I can get a jab on him like after he does his dive kick sword thing it just gets me countered by a 2A.

It's something you have to get used to for each character. For Yu is lightning car is always unsafe when blocked it seems you can't get a counter throw off him so you have to attack for that. For his dives, I believe the B version is safe on block while the A version isn't.

When Yu's are doing their close range mixups with Izanagi there are holes in their offense that you can attack through provided you use the appropriate move. If you're not sure what to hit him with while getting pressured you can always evasive action through his unsafe attacks.

Furious actions are pretty good for punishing people who try to mix you up.

Ken,sorry my internet dropped during your match against the other labrys.
It only drops during the daytime,at night it's just fine.

at least you got to beat my fraud Yu.

IQP9s.jpg

I need to remember to save the pic this time.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Teddie cannot block at all after Circus Bear.
Yeah, he can use his A or B or any other attack, but you don't have to rely on only your unblockable for it.
( ・´ー・`) thanks for revealing your secrets, I'll have an anti air combo waiting next time

Shouta

I'll agree with you that there are some things that make the difficult for the defender at times but its nothing other 2d fighters have done somewhere down the line.

The game is a little more unconventional compared to other 2D fighters which is why I'm harping on them some of these elements pretty heavily. It's also an "anime-game" or the high-paced, high movement, combo style, so some of these more obvious things are fairly grating. With all the shenanigans that are possible in this, strengths and weaknesses get magnified which is why we had someone break their disc on tumblr, I guess.

Block Cross Slash.
Try to punish Cross Slash
Get Cross Slashed again.

Story of my online life.

That would suck ass.

Ken

Someone tell me what I'm supposed to do when Kanji paralyzes me and walks up to me and throws me and then his persona drops on me (stab him! or something). He then does the jump on me move and walks up to me and grabs me again. Can I tech that grab? I always have to resort to bursting if I have it.

It's become incredibly frustrating watching as he grabs me three times in a row and I can't do AC out of the way because he grabs me out of that too.

LProtag

Blarrggh, I'm starting school this week and an internship in two weeks and I'm barely going to have time to play because I'll probably be super tired when I have free time...

Didn't even play today because of all my classes and I'm just vegging out now.

I'll never get good at this rate.

Someone tell me what I'm supposed to do when Kanji paralyzes me and walks up to me and throws me and then his persona drops on me (stab him! or something). He then does the jump on me move and walks up to me and grabs me again. Can I tech that grab? I always have to resort to bursting if I have it.

It's become incredibly frustrating watching as he grabs me three times in a row and I can't do AC out of the way because he grabs me out of that too.

Hop and hit him? R-action? Anything with invincibility?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

Short hop

The game is a little more unconventional compared to other 2D fighters which is why I'm harping on them some of these elements pretty heavily. It's also an "anime-game" or the high-paced, high movement, combo style, so some of these more obvious things are fairly grating. With all the shenanigans that are possible in this, strengths and weaknesses get magnified which is why we had someone break their disc on tumblr, I guess.

That would suck ass.

There is a video of somebody melting their SSF4 disc because of "sagat spam" with a mini-torch, there are people who danced on their SFxT disc, people snapping MK9 because of "noob spam". People do all sorts of stupid shit in this world.

To be honest playing mvc2, and mvc3 none of the pressure of Persona is nearly as bad. I never want to fight MSP ever again. I never want to deal with guard break cable, or spiral/sentinel. MvC3 can be just as bad with things like wolverine/akuma with his instant overhead, or vergil with meter and etc. Even vanilla mvc3 had that tron/hagger "guess which way to block on incoming character" bullshit as well. Its just normal for an open based fighter.

There is a video of somebody melting their SSF4 disc because of "sagat spam" with a mini-torch, there are people who danced on their SFxT disc, people snapping MK9 because of "noob spam". People do all sorts of stupid shit in this world.

To be honest playing mvc2, and mvc3 none of the pressure of Persona is nearly as bad. I never want to fight MSP ever again. I never want to deal with guard break cable, or spiral/sentinel. MvC3 can be just as bad with things like wolverine/akuma with his instant overhead, or vergil with meter and etc. Even vanilla mvc3 had that tron/hagger "guess which way to block on incoming character" bullshit as well. Its just normal for an open based fighter.

What was short hop again?

He can grab me out of Labrys R-action I think.

2AC

Ken

2AC

Thanks. So should I hop away from him as I get up?

R-action and Brutal Impact are completely invulnerable to everything, even his dive grab. You should know this!

I should but maybe it's my lag. I input for R-action as I get up but he grabs me anyways. I'll try it though.

mitsuru charge attacks wtf. spent forever trying to do them but the game is like "nope nope nope nope nope." i give up with her. is there a cue to stop charging? i get the timing right like 1/10000 times.

I got rid my copy of BB:CS because I just mashed with noel and ranga,I didn't understand half the concepts the game was trying to teach me and I couldn't fight hazama,tager,or the robot girls.

I'm sure now I would be able to handle it.

Shouta

Dat double post.

True, lots of crazy people out there.

MVC2 was pretty straight for me and MVC3 was stupid from the get-go with X-factor. So I never really got salty about them but this just gets me going. Too many stupid things for such a small roster to me.

Dat double post.

True, lots of crazy people out there.

MVC2 was pretty straight for me and MVC3 was stupid from the get-go with X-factor. So I never really got salty about them but this just gets me going. Too many stupid things for such a small roster to me.

Well, there's always BB:CP when it comes out.

I'm really looking forward to playing that.

Shouta

Well, there's always BB:CP when it comes out.

I'm really looking forward to playing that.

I enjoy playing P4a, it's just I'm hoping they adjust some of this stuff as they go. Though, I'm unfamiliar with how Arcsys goes about it.

Regardless, VF5 is my primary game anyway so.

Astral

My Mitsuru navigator just said "Good, now keep them in the corner," while my opponent was cornering me. Why you gotta be so cold Mitsuru?

Noi

...Wow, Busaiku. Wow.
KuGsj.gif

Edit: GGs. I still hate the hitbox on Teddie's 5A and how unpunishable Bear Claw can be at times. :(

...Wow, Busaiku. Wow.
KuGsj.gif

Edit: GGs. I still hate the hitbox on Teddie's 5A and how unpunishable Bear Claw can be at times. :(

It probably can be punished by a fast normal. At the very least it is negative and leads to a block string which for some character gives them HUGE advantage. Busaiku (i believe) learned fast that he couldn't just keep doing it because letting yukiko put you in blockstun is just a bad day waiting to happen.

I'm loving the fog song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3gEKpGD4D4
Makes me want to IK everybody...and scrub everybody out =(

Noi

It probably can be punished by a fast normal. At the very least it is negative and leads to a block string which for some character gives them HUGE advantage. Busaiku (i believe) learned fast that he couldn't just keep doing it because letting yukiko put you in blockstun is just a bad day waiting to happen.

I can punish the A and B versions if he lands right next to me, but if he does it close enough, he'll land too far for me to do anything (with Labrys), which is why I say it's only unpunishable at times. More often than not, Teddie doing 5A right after will beat out most of my options too.

What do you do against Teddie 5A as Labrys?

And can you 2B Teddie's j.A as Labby?

From my experience with Busaiku, not much. Most of the time I just have to eat the blockstring and punish if he goes for another Bearclaw autocombo, but the short range on Labby's 5A is kind of a killer in that matchup.

I can punish the A and B versions if he lands right next to me, but if he does it close enough, he'll land too far for me to do anything (with Labrys), which is why I say it's only unpunishable at times. More often than not, Teddie doing 5A right after will beat out most of my options too.

From my experience with Busaiku, not much. Most of the time I just have to eat the blockstring and punish if he goes for another Bearclaw autocombo, but the short range on Labby's 5A is kind of a killer in that matchup.

You know there is a gap between the 2nd and 3rd hit of the auto combo. Some char can dp through. Also 2a comes out faster than 5a on some characters.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm aware of what your problem is, but I can't relate because I've never had problems with the DS3's pad with wrong inputs, and my thumb also covers the entire cross. Hell, I bought a stick to play this game with and I ended up going back to my DS3 just because the DS3 was a lot comfier for this game's setup. I know Q mentioned how he holds his already, and I don't play any differently from how he does.

Edit: Found a picture that shows what my hand layout on the DS3 is.

That's different than me, my thumb is higher up on the dpad. the middle joint is where the middle of the dpad is so I just have to move it around a tiny bit to get full 360 motions.

Like so

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Man, how do you guys play with the D-Pad for long periods of time without dying?
I only ever use it if I have to go left.

I been playing games all fucking day long since I was like 3. Fighters since genesis days. I'm just used to it. My hands are sadly the strongest thing on my body these days =/

Top Bottom