• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
damn you found my tumblr :(

Sorry about your disc, brother.

Also got p4a yesterday. Was going to wait until I picked up a stick for the ps3 (RIP 360 HRAP) but bought it anyway. It's actually kind of decent on a pad. The shoulder buttons work well for some of the 2/3 button combinations. The dpad isn't great of course, but the pad is okay overall.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Any tips for dealing with Labrys's grapple?

I've been struggling against this thing as a Yukiko player and even my attempts to stop it in training mode have been rather fruitless. Notes:

1) It goes through all projectiles.
2) All followups to it at mid range are a true blockstring (can't reversal).
3) Can go either low or high which immediately leads into another mixup.
4) Easy at breaking Persona calls.
5) Recovers too quickly to punish with anything other than an extremely low to the ground airdash.
6) Can't interrupt or hit it with normal attacks!

Looks like all I can do is jump and chuck fans, but jumping fan throws should be done rarely due to the ground recovery...

You need to be on the offensive vs shadow lab with yukiko. S.lab has some of the worst defensive options in the game.

Beckx

Akihiko? Understand spacing. Roll is your friend (and many times a greater alternative than Weave). Get simple BnBs that you can crank out reliably - with him its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better to know how to get in and play mind games with people than it is to bank everything on high damage combos (where you are instantly buttnaked and wide open if you whiff during his triple weave stuff).

edit: also, Akihiko mirrors are the best thing I've ever experienced.

Thanks - I really don't understand the value of the duck and weave moves and where they fit in his game. Any tips?

But if he's really a rekka-type character that doesn't rely on huge combos he might be for me.

xero273

Sorry about your disc, brother.

Also got p4a yesterday. Was going to wait until I picked up a stick for the ps3 (RIP 360 HRAP) but bought it anyway. It's actually kind of decent on a pad. The shoulder buttons work well for some of the 2/3 button combinations. The dpad isn't great of course, but the pad is okay overall.

It's okay. I'll be eating pizza soon anyway!

I would figure you would know how a pad feels with these type of games considering you play melty. Melty works okay on the ps2 pad.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
It's okay. I'll be eating pizza soon anyway!

I would figure you would know how a pad feels with these type of games considering you play melty. Melty works okay on the ps2 pad.

I usually used a satapad or a stick for those. And I with P4 I meant specifically because of how many dual button combos there are. I think I was trying out L1 as dodge, R1 as furious action, R2 as burst, and L2 I forget. Burst and one more cancel is particularly useful with the shoulder buttons since hitting 3 buttons at once on the DS3 is kind of poo.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Thanks - I really don't understand the value of the duck and weave moves and where they fit in his game. Any tips?

But if he's really a rekka-type character that doesn't rely on huge combos he might be for me.

Well apart from the Cyclone mechanics (that little tornado counter thing on the bottom of the screen above the meter - that shit is actually kinda complicated and its really not something to be focused on initially with akihiko imo), they offer invincibility from high/mid attacks and build meter. This means that you can get around almost all projectiles in the game. Liz will give you some issues because her beam is wide as hell and Yukiko's non-fan zoning attacks too.

The thing about the weaves and the dashes is that they offer options that a typical roll doesn't. You can cancel out of them into other moves such as his hook and kill rush - this means that you always have tons of options open in most immediate non-pressure situations such as the option to cross full screen damn near instantly, dash-roll/dash-roll-hop crossups and mixups, weave and counter, dash-throw, etc... it goes on for days. You can also cancel into his counter, sweep, other dashes, etc. So even though Akihiko's isn't a "fast" character, he operates faster than most if that makes any sense.

It just takes a lot of familiarity with your own options and matchup awareness with Akihiko.
Has anyone else found Super Canceling to be very very easy in this game?

Almost too easy. I blow my load with Akihiko all the time...

Beckx

Well apart from the Cyclone mechanics (that little tornado counter thing on the bottom of the screen above the meter - that shit is actually kinda complicated and its really not something to be focused on initially with akihiko imo), they offer invincibility from high/mid attacks and build meter. This means that you can get around almost all projectiles in the game. Liz will give you some issues because her beam is wide as hell and Yukiko's non-fan zoning attacks too.

The thing about the weaves and the dashes is that they offer options that a typical roll doesn't. You can cancel out of them into other moves such as his hook and kill rush - this means that you always have tons of options open in most immediate non-pressure situations such as the option to cross full screen damn near instantly, dash-roll/dash-roll-hop crossups and mixups, weave and counter, dash-throw, etc... it goes on for days. You can also cancel into his counter, sweep, other dashes, etc. So even though Akihiko's isn't a "fast" character, he operates faster than most if that makes any sense.

It just takes a lot of familiarity with your own options and matchup awareness with Akihiko.

Really helpful, thanks. Now I need to watch some Akihiko vids to see it in practice. Off to dustloop.

One thing I love about this game is that (in practice at least) I was able to pull off a combo into his super, something I can never do in SF.

forgrim

If I can hit u with a kill rush b, I can do 4k damage. But if I miss, the match is over. I need better combo starters that don't involve such a slow starter hahaha

DY_nasty

Really helpful, thanks. Now I need to watch some Akihiko vids to see it in practice. Off to dustloop.

One thing I love about this game is that (in practice at least) I was able to pull off a combo into his super, something I can never do in SF.

I'll just say one more thing. Its always awesome to watch vids of Akihiko going ham but most vids simply don't highlight the most important part of his game - getting in.

You'll rarely see an Akihiko pulling a Liz slightly off her zoning block with Caesar to create a different spacing than she's used to or really understand where the better points of baiting lie with him since there are so many different ways to do it. There are a lot of little things that you can do with him that you just won't notice until you put time in.
If I can hit u with a kill rush b, I can do 4k damage. But if I miss, the match is over. I need better combo starters that don't involve such a slow starter hahaha

I almost never throw a Kill Rush B out unless I'm just all out of fucks to give or see a gaping opening. Even then its almost always better to Kill Rush A combo/Weave>Hook to put them closer to the corner of despair where you can get into all the war crime shit. Hell, when I was practicing yesterday I rarely even went for the Upper super - I was either fucking around AB hooks for lolz or trying to catch people with IKs on their wake up (which is suddenly gdlk if you space and bait right)

MechaX

Blaaaah, Naoto Challenge 28 continues to elude me. I think I have the first two-thirds of the combo down, but I keep blowing it at the part where you have to super jump. I can do that portion of the combo individually just fine, so I dunno why I keep choking on it in mid combo.

Uncle AJ

Any Chie players know a combo starting from Black Spot that doesn't use 1More? Thanks.

Which version are you using? Black Spot D causes a wallbounce on Fatal Counter. And honestly if you're just throwing Black Spot out there as a combo starter, it's almost always going to be FC when it connects.

Here's my combo, clearly not optimized but I can hit it consistently and that's what counts:

Black Spot D (FC) > Run > 5B > 5C > 2D > Jump Forward > JB x2 > JC > Double Jump > JC > Dragon Kick C

Lucentto

Banned
GGs. I have no idea how to deal with Labrys and Kanji. You're reading me like a book. Couldn't get my mixups set up against them.

GGs, I had quite a bit of trouble blocking Aigis nosense. I can't tell you how many times a swear I was blocking high only to get smacked. You are good though, first good Aigis I have played in fact.

So nearly 150 matches (and a lot of raging) later, I can honestly say that the one character that I have yet to get a solid strategy down against is Yukiko. For the love of god she's annoying.

Onemic

Does Yu's 2 hit j.B hit both high and low? I find that even though he's in the air, when I block it standing the second hit always hits me.

Yukiko is the easiest matchup for me so far. I actually find liz harder because of her grab mixup even though its supposed to be in my favour. The characters that I cannot for the life of me understand how to beat are Labrys, Yu, Slab, Naoto, and Teddy.

Does Yu's 2 hit j.B hit both high and low? I find that even though he's in the air, when I block it standing the second hit always hits me.

Yukiko is the easiest matchup for me so far. I actually find liz harder because of her grab mixup even though its supposed to be in my favour. The characters that I cannot for the life of me understand how to beat are Labrys, Yu, Slab, Naoto, and Teddy.

Every Yu I've faced yet just loves up on the X button, so they've become easily predictable. Probably could beat them with my eyes closed by now. Teddy I've had some trouble on only because I rarely see any of them.

Idk Yukiko just keeps spacing me out (I play Mitsuru) and I'm having a hard time closing the gap. Btw if someone wouldn't mind adding me to the list?

GT: Lionheart2232(360)

Mesoian

So nearly 150 matches (and a lot of raging) later, I can honestly say that the one character that I have yet to get a solid strategy down against is Yukiko. For the love of god she's annoying.

Attack from the sky, time those fan tosses out, aim it so that if you whiff, you whiff at least a character length away from them. Yu's j.214b, Kanji's j.214b, Yosuke's teleport slide, they all do well when timed right.

And, you know, Liz.

Attack from the sky, time those fan tosses out, aim it so that if you whiff, you whiff at least a character length away from them. Yu's j.214b, Kanji's j.214b, Yosuke's teleport slide, they all do well when timed right.

And, you know, Liz.

I may give online another shot after I get home from work today. Hopefully without raging.

yami4ct

Had my first rage quit today. Not gonna lie, it felt kind good even if I didn't get the win counted. It was a mirror match against another Liz who had no clue how to control distance. She'd either try to rush in and auto combo or jump at me, easy to counter, or she'd hang back and just shoot ziodyne beams, which I would just bring her close with Maragi. I half expected an expletive message to come on PSN right after, haha. Kinda glad that happened as now I don't feel like a total scrub anymore.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Akihiko? Understand spacing. Roll is your friend (and many times a greater alternative than Weave). Get simple BnBs that you can crank out reliably - with him its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better to know how to get in and play mind games with people than it is to bank everything on high damage combos (where you are instantly buttnaked and wide open if you whiff during his triple weave stuff).

edit: also, Akihiko mirrors are the best thing I've ever experienced.

What move is the Roll again? You mean the Furious Action/dodge? I know there's a "duck" move but IIRC Duck for Akihiko is only on the killrush?

And yes, Aki mirror matches are relaxing. No bullshit, just mashing buttons, final destination.

Almost too easy. I blow my load with Akihiko all the time...

Hahahaha.</12 year old> But yeah, it's a little too easy to be going into kill rush and then SUPER UPPERCUT! (Not that I mind, it makes me feel bad ass)

I'll just say one more thing. Its always awesome to watch vids of Akihiko going ham but most vids simply don't highlight the most important part of his game - getting in

Yep, I really wish someone would make a
subtitled
"getting in" video for Akihiko. I love playing him but the keep-away games piss me off and have made me stop playing kinda.

Okay, I've got a bunch of other games and story mode is kinda WORDSWORDSWORDS to where I got kinda burned out, I guess I'll be playing it tonight... maybe...

DY_nasty

I got Roll mapped to R1. I think its 5AC, but I could be wrong.

Its big because it allows you to pass through people as well as get through certain moves/projectiles. This allows you to a sortakinda crossup game going with him as you avoid getting wakeup DPd (note that this will never work on Kanji or Liz because of their unique moves). It isn't really "fast" but it offers a change of pace and also keeps opponents from keying on your personal weave in & out timing.

Also, Akihiko's crossup is not typical at all. Its slow. and because people "turn" so easily in this game on the ground, you'll catch a quick jab to the face simply because they were already mashing and will beat you to the punch even if they were completely caught offguard. What you should be going for is pressure and keeping your opponent uneasy. They'll make more mistakes if they're unsure of their situation and your guessing game becomes that much easier.

for example: they're down and about to get up. roll to the other side > j.c . roll > weave back > b hook. roll > b counter. roll > wait > roll again. roll > furious action... thats just basic shit to do off one knockdown. there's all kinds of shit that people need to be doing more with Akihiko outside of megacombos. Try superjumping right at the beginning of a match, hitting D, then start up the shenanigans while Caesar has your opponent gliding all over the place.

TheSeks

Ah, yeah, you mean the Furious Action. I haven't really incorporated that into my game too much.

What is your DS3 set-up if you're using a DS3. I haven't really used the L/R 1/2's at all.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, I really wish someone would make a
subtitled
"getting in" video for Akihiko. I love playing him but the keep-away games piss me off and have made me stop playing kinda.
There are, just look up jp match up vids against any character you want and watch how they play their neutral

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
There are, just look up jp match up vids against any character you want and watch how they play their neutral
::looks at videos::
::sees Aki blocking for 50% of the match looking for an opening::

:(

TheSeks

I haven't even gotten past like 11-15 on the challenges with EVERY character, I suck so much. ;___;

(I think the furthest I've gone is like 15-7 on Naoto due to her challenges being auto-combo spammable, I think. Her or Elizabeth, forgetting. But still... they suddenly ask for 5A 5B 5C 2A+B (sweep) and I'm completely "WUT" and fail. :(

::looks at videos::
::sees Aki blocking for 50% of the match looking for an opening::

:(

Unless you start getting Daigo level parry focusing, I seriously doubt Akihiko is going to evolve past that. Maybe in high-level play... maybe but most people simply aren't going to guess the duck/weave counter-hit move. I've tried using it before on getting a person to "parry" off me but it's too impractical to just throw out when you can simply block and then punish like normal.

DY_nasty

dude... i've barely even touched challenge mode lol
Ah, yeah, you mean the Furious Action. I haven't really incorporated that into my game too much.

What is your DS3 set-up if you're using a DS3. I haven't really used the L/R 1/2's at all.

I switched back to default now that I broke out of my mashing habits. Only thing different is the roll to R1 thing. I'll probably put throw on L1 at some point.

Naw... maybe I was just looking in the wrong spot or something but I wish things laid out the differences and pros/cons between IAD and 2AC hops. There are tons of little things that you have to pay attention to that just doesn't even register until someone actually tells you to do it. Like in the Yukiko matchup - if you got Caesar going you can heavily influence where Yukiko's persona starts up since she's detached from the initial position. Same with Liz. Most people simply say "Akihiko's persona fuckin sux". It does compared to the rest of the cast - but the fact that it is basically expendable is a positive and Caesar's pull is easily one of the most underrated things in the game.

Beckx

I haven't even gotten past like 11-15 on the challenges with EVERY character, I suck so much. ;___;

Yeah, same here, I can get to 15-17 or so and that's it. But I expected that, it's farther than I can get with SSFIV's challenges. Even if I can get the challenge down with a ton of time, it's not something I'm going to be able to pull off in a game situation.

TheSeks

Tell me more, because I'm one of those "Caesar fuckin' sux" people.

Top Bottom