• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Oh really? Dacidbro keeps talking about how he's a really hard character to use because he has so many combos to keep track of depending on your situation and you need to be able to properly read your opponent if you expect to get anything out of him.
His high damage combos seem to largely revolve around B j.B loops which I find extremely difficult at the moment. But if you aren't going for max damage it doesn't seem to be that hard. And his cyclone meter is more something to be aware of in planning rather than mid-match.

I'm sure Dacidbro knows way more than me, but he's also coming from the perspective of doing max damage at every situation. Whereas a normal person can just pick a pretty good universal combo.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Oh really? Dacidbro keeps talking about how he's a really hard character to use because he has so many combos to keep track of depending on your situation and you need to be able to properly read your opponent if you expect to get anything out of him.

He's easy to learn and pick up.

Life with Akihiko only gets "hard" when you're up against opponents that see past his bullshit and make use of their advantages. At that point, the curve gets steep.

If you can't get in with him, then you can't win. And you have to pull all kinds of bullshit to get in against some people...
Well his counter really can catch people off guard, and yeah some of this stuff does seem pretty situational.

EDIT: Yeah Ceasar really could have had some better moves. I like the range of the swipe and the global vac, but some variation would have been nice. A launcher for instance.

If Caesar had a mid-screen low hitting sweep or something, I would never complain.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Life with Akihiko only gets "hard" when you're up against opponents that see past his bullshit and make use of their advantages. At that point, the curve gets steep.

Pretty much. Once you're in, you're in. But getting in is the problem.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ya, I have been trying it like that. It's just the timing is so strict. Sometimes Ill get the Jump B, sometimes Ill get the JB DJ JA in there, but not have enough time for guillotine axe. I guess I'll keep trying it.

Also, for your B+D reversal video. Your Titanomachia inputs are Up C, + 236 C right? Or are they reversed? How does he come out from the other side? I'm still trying to figure out how to manipulate the position of Asterois in combos. I can do the basic stuff like combo into knuckle train or set up some laser beam pressure in the corner.

Blocking keeps him stationary, while letting go resets him behind me. Is that right?

If you do Titanomachia with D he will apear from behind. First input is 2c, the rest is correct.

zlatko

Banned

Pretty much this.

I found him easier to get into than Yosuke or Naoto, and that works for me.

Tonight I plan to mess around with Chie and Kanji more though to see if either fit me, but I want a character who has a reliable BnB that does at least 3K damageish with/without meter use.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yosuke is a very basic character to use. He just requires an insane amount of mind games. compared to the rest of the cast. But this is one thing that makes him strong. The odds of you messing up is low and the odds of the opponent getting flustered is high.

Beckx

That's why he is hard. His basic stuff is easy, but to remember all the follow ups in combos are much harder. When to weave and sway and to duck. Also the 2b Jumping B loops are really awkward. He takes more muscle memory than most of the cast.

Which (maybe) is to say that he's easy at the scrub level where I am and hard at high levels. :D (easy meaning execution - not getting in, winning, etc.)

Yosuke is a very basic character to use. He just requires an insane amount of mind games. compared to the rest of the cast. But this is one thing that makes him strong. The odds of you messing up is low and the odds of the opponent getting flustered is high.

I am absolutely terrible at aerial games and it seems Yosuke is a lot about bouncing around the screen.

DY_nasty

Pretty much. Once you're in, you're in. But getting in is the problem.

Exactly. Shit, my entire gameplan isn't so much high damage combos (which turn into a bitch on pad because of how tight some of the cancels can get) but instead positioning. If I can push someone into a corner, I'll have them playing "pick a fist" against a loaded deck in no time. Akihiko is ridiculous when he has people pinned to the wall.

zlatko

Banned

I tend to over zip over my opponents heads too often when playing yosuke. His damage isn't that good to write home about. Good and cool character if you want to play at 300MPH, but I'm not that quick. :p

Teknoman

Heh just realized you can juggle people easy in the corner using Aki's Furious Action. Was fighting against a B rank Yosuke who was all over the screen...final round he got reckless and after I managed to break his persona, it was all over. Feels good.

Also it seems like auto combo really isnt all that "easy mode" since it can save your life at times lol. Evasive dashing and command dashing helps a ton. Learning about the wonders of short hop too.

DY_nasty

Heh just realized you can juggle people easy in the corner using Aki's Furious Action. Was fighting against a B rank Yosuke who was all over the screen...final round he got reckless and after I managed to break his persona, it was all over. Feels good.

Also it seems like auto combo really isnt all that "easy mode" since it can save your life at times lol. Evasive dashing and command dashing helps a ton. Learning about the wonders of short hop too.

I don't think people go for resets with Akihiko enough either.

zlatko

Banned
What's Chie like for those who main her?

Are her BnBs easy? What's the average damage you hit with her for a combo? I forget her health size as well.

Does she have a good cross up or mix up game?

Beckx

Going to ask a really stupid Akihiko question b/c I'm going over some ArenaTheory w/o access to the game: when you're doing the Kill Rush followups, can you cancel duck/weave instantly into corkscrew or boomerang?

So 236A/B > 4A/B > 6C/D > 6A/B, where the 6C/D is instantly canceled into 6A/B (like holding 6 & tapping C A in rapid succession)? Or does the duck/weave have to come out before it can get canceled?

Sorry if this is absolutely idiotic.

Are her BnBs easy? What's the average damage you hit with her for a combo? I forget her health size as well.

Her combos are all about resetting to an oki setup. Then you press D and make them guess high/low/left/right.

She has 9500 hp

OceanBlue

I'm really bad, but since I'm a Chie main...

Her BnBs are easy for the most part. I can't get the 5AB>C j.D (land) dash 5B etc. combo down, but that's probably because I don't know when to use j.D. For me, average damage midscreen is around 1k-1.5k if you go for the oki ender, 2k-2.5k midscreen meterless, and generally 4-5k with meter on corner combos and air counter hits.

Her health is 9.5k.

She has a very good cross-up/mix-up game because of 5DD midscreen and 2DD in the corner. You can do up to three highs (j.BB j.A) before going into a low. To be honest, though, I'm not very good at making it ambiguous and I'm not exactly sure what I should be doing against people with 5f jabs.

Teknoman

Going to ask a really stupid Akihiko question b/c I'm going over some ArenaTheory w/o access to the game: when you're doing the Kill Rush followups, can you cancel duck/weave instantly into corkscrew or boomerang?

So 236A/B > 4A/B > 6C/D > 6A/B, where the 6C/D is instantly canceled into 6A/B (like holding 6 & tapping C A in rapid succession)? Or does the duck/weave have to come out before it can get canceled?

Sorry if this is absolutely idiotic.

My experience the move has to complete, unless one more cancel factors in.

Onemic

I hate chie's stupid move that you have to block high and immediatly low. This girl destroys people at low levels.

And does Yu's 2 hit j.B hit both high and low as well? Whenever I block it standing the first hit gets blocked and the second hit always hits me even though he's in the air.

Uncle AJ

BnB's are relatively easy, it just depends on whether you want to go for big damage (something that ends with Dragon Kick or a Super) or better positioning (combo ends with a sweep, then you call out 5DD - the "Tomoe-copter" - to force them to block on wakeup). Learning combos is secondary to learning how to constantly apply pressure and mix-ups.

Most of her normals are dash and jump cancellable, so between lows, air-dash highs, throws, and the fastest AOA overhead of any character, she's a very good mix-up character. And her Awakening super allows her to re-establish pressure from full screen.

Health is 9500.

EDIT: When you're going for damage, combos are around 3-3.5k meterless, 4.5-5.5k with meter and corner. If you're consistently going for oki setups, combos will be around 1-2k. It's best to whittle down their health with the oki setup combos, then once they're on the cusp of Awakening, make your next combo kill so that their Awakening gets denied.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I tend to over zip over my opponents heads too often when playing yosuke. His damage isn't that good to write home about. Good and cool character if you want to play at 300MPH, but I'm not that quick. :p

You know he has 6k plus fatal counter combos right? non awaken 50 meter :lol

OceanBlue

BnB's are relatively easy, it just depends on whether you want to go for big damage (something that ends with Dragon Kick or a Super) or better positioning (combo ends with a sweep, then you call out 5DD - the "Tomoe-copter" - to force them to block on wakeup). Learning combos is secondary to learning how to constantly apply pressure and mix-ups.

Most of her normals are dash and jump cancellable, so between lows, air-dash highs, throws, and the fastest AOA overhead of any character, she's a very good mix-up character. And her Awakening super allows her to re-establish pressure from full screen.

Health is 9500.

EDIT: When you're going for damage, combos are around 3-3.5k meterless, 4.5-5.5k with meter and corner. If you're consistently going for oki setups, combos will be around 1-2k. It's best to whittle down their health with the oki setup combos, then once they're on the cusp of Awakening, make your next combo kill so that their Awakening gets denied.

Do you know what you should be doing against characters that have 5f jabs? Apparently they can jab out of 2A+B 5DD. I watched a few videos with Chie vs some of these characters and most of them opted for damage combos instead of oki setups midscreen, so I figured that should be the way to go.

vocab

I like playing shadow lab and getting hate mail about using my A attack chain...

SHE DOESN'T HAVE MUCH ELSE YOU DUMBSHITS :lol

Ya. Her auto combo is pretty much a bnb for her lol. Labrys at least has that scorpion move, 22a stuff, and some other weird space control stuff. Speaking of 22a. I have no idea how to do the challanges that involes them. It comes out so slow.

Uncle AJ

Do you know what you should be doing against characters that have 5f jabs? Apparently they can jab out of 2A+B 5DD. I watched a few videos with Chie vs some of these characters and most of them opted for damage combos instead of oki setups midscreen, so I figured that should be the way to go.

Use 2DD instead of 5DD for the 5f jab characters - 2DD has faster startup but you have less time to apply your mixup.

Teddie is also a special exception because his R-action beats out all of the oki setups cleanly. Try it on the Teddie at least once to see if he knows this. If he does, the next time you set up the oki, just press 5D as bait instead of 5DD. Teddie won't get hit and you can run up and punish him during his recovery.

You know he has 6k plus fatal counter combos right? non awaken 50 meter :lol

Go on...

So I'm thinking I want to main Elizabeth, what sort of character is she?

She's good for annoying people at a distance, and saying that she's a glass cannon would be an understatement, but when she can get Fatal Counter combos, and she will with all the ways she has to inflict fear status, it HURTS.

vocab

Honestly Lab is a lot more rewarding feeling and fun to play. I just like scumbag shit.

I like both, but on a very basic level of play no one knows what the fuck to do against slab. I beat some friends just but throwing laser beams, and punching them from off the screen. I some how made the Persona punch some guy in the back while he threw out some move. I was on mumble with him and he's like WTF IS GOING ON.

TWILT

Banned
After spending more time with him last night, Yosuke's officially my 2nd sub. Just learned a 5k fatal counter combo. Could probably get more with more work, but for now, I'm happy.

goldensun

So after so many grueling matches with Akihiko, I'm dropping him as my main for Yu. Yu's normals and pressure are just so godlike. Once I started grinding it out in the lab with Yu he felt so natural.. much easier to play.

I saw the Akihiko complaints above and was chuckling at how much I could relate. The character really struggles with anyone who can keep him out with ease. Ceasar is an alright poke but he's pretty risky if you're playing someone who knows what they're doing and they block it. I had fun using the duck and sway to build up the little mini meter to get stuff like wall balances and crumples, but honestly he feels like such a gimmicky character. He feels like Seth in SFIV (knockdown into a variety of mixup/bait opportunities) but without a projectile and good way to get in (besides a VERY well placed roll or duck).

He's gonna require a long, long time to crack and understand fully (just like everyone else really since the game's new), but the character has lots of potential. Cancelling his AAA into duck/sway/sweep/overhead is fun :p

It's just sad comparing his 5A to Yu's 5B :( Bye Akihiko, hello Yu :)

Sloosha

Don't most characters have that off a FC though?

As for Chie again, what's the two standard midscreen BnBs to learn for her?(Oki and damage versions)

2A 2B sweep (5DD, 2DD)

2A 2B 5C 236A 236A 236C (Instead of the 236C: 214C, 236 236C)

Obviously, a lot of variations depending on the hitconfirm but the basic combo path is either into sweep and oki, or into rampage with a dragon kick or super ender.

Here's the video I used:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKLJzWCoF3Y

Top Bottom