• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I would just 5D you to be honest and get you in the recovery.

You can hold it though and release as needed. There is no recovery. You can also cancel out of it. The fans and the ground rolling fire attack are lol vs an Akihiko that bothers to dodge them - the A attacks are the biggest hurdle by far.
Yo man, that hurts. I even invited you to play on PSN today and got no response.
I was probably out :(

I'll definitely try and get on with you today though.

Thanks >_<. Playing against Ragingnight's Yukiko made me try different ways of pressuring and step up my game in general. I also don't really have any good combos, so I gotta make up for it elsewhere heh. You definitely pulled off some high-ish damaging stuff (at least way more damaging than the stuff I can do haha) a few times though, so I had to be a little more cautious.

Unlike a lot of Yukiko's, you really take advantage of the speed and hitbox of her j.A and 5.A attacks while keeping the spacing between fans. You also don't sit back and try to treat Yukiko like a full screen zoning character like most. Your damage output is great for the reason that you capitalized on nearly every hit. Again, GGs dude.

Steaks

Anyone want to play on Xbox this morning?

GT: KenEsque.

Gonna leave my game idle while I work. Feel free to just toss me a friend invite.

MechaX

I think I found a kindred spirit in the form of Labrys. She's a bit slow, but I feel as if I can take my time in matches with her. She has good damage and decent projectiles, plus I actually kind of like her in story mode. And I have also been trying to pick up Aigis again (timing for her stuff is... not quite what I would expect, and my fingers are still doing dumb stuff; I wonder if I'm grasping the stick incorrectly or uncomfortably).

And oddly enough, losing with Aigis or Labrys doesn't make me rage like losing with Naoto... so I guess that's something. I guess I'll stick with the Robot Sisters for a little while now.

zlatko

Banned
I no longer wish to play Naoto as a sub. I just can't get her style down...

Maybe I'll take a look at Liz or Teddie.

Her combos are just not something that feels easy to pick up for me from what I've seen the Japanese do. Most other characters I feel like I could do the combos, but hers just throw me off a shit ton. Props to people who do her crazy combos where you leave traps mid combo to juggle people for extended damage.

Beckx

Okay, Akihiko is my main now. Spent more time playing and he fits my playstyle so well.

5AA(A) > 2BD >236236A/B is just plain fun. EDIT: ARGH, I MEANT 2BD.

So, Akihi-bros, help me out here:

1) what's the best way to get cyclone level 3 in combos? I'm doing 236A/B > 4A/B > 6A/B, which gives a Cyclone level 2 for the final hit. What can I fit in here to get to level 3?

2) what's the point of using weave/duck in a kill rush? To cover screen w/ the kill rush then avoid punish from the whiff? Or does it make kill rush safer on block? I've seen notations for one combo that uses Kill Rush > Duck > Corkscrew but haven't tried it yet - wouldn't this make the combo breakable during the duck (btw, the fact that the combo meter shows you when you screwed up and made your combo breakable is a *phenomenal* addition to the game).

3) Where are you working in Dive? Right now I'm only using it as a Marvel style air combo finisher (which is rare).

4) Thunder Fists seems like a waste of meter given how the super uppercut slots so well into combos. Am I wrong, and if so, where are you using it?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
1) what's the best way to get cyclone level 3 in combos? I'm doing 236A/B > 4A/B > 6A/B, which gives a Cyclone level 2 for the final hit. What can I fit in here to get to level 3?
Not at home to test but you could try 236SB > 4A/B > 4C > 6A/B > 236236B. Not sure if it'll work though, but 236SB give you a lot more leeway to cancel into Duck and Weave from 4A/B

2) what's the point of using weave/duck in a kill rush? To cover screen w/ the kill rush then avoid punish from the whiff? Or does it make kill rush safer on block? I've seen notations for one combo that uses Kill Rush > Duck > Corkscrew but haven't tried it yet - wouldn't this make the combo breakable during the duck (btw, the fact that the combo meter shows you when you screwed up and made your combo breakable is a *phenomenal* addition to the game).
Weave/Duck gives you Cyclone charges. If someone blocks kill rush, you can 6C into them for a grab, or 4D to bait a DP or mashing and then follow up with 6B. You can also 6CD into a crossup. I also saw something like 236A/B > 4SB > 4C > 4A > 4C > 4A > 6B in a video.

I think if you counterhit with Kill Rush you can 4A > 4C/D > 6A/B. It was in one of the challenges.
3) Where are you working in Dive? Right now I'm only using it as a Marvel style air combo finisher (which is rare).
I suck at aerial movement so no comment.
4) Thunder Fists seems like a waste of meter given how the super uppercut slots so well into combos. Am I wrong, and if so, where are you using it?
I don't know of any good time to use it, except during corner combos that are out of my league at the moment.

I think I found a kindred spirit in the form of Labrys. She's a bit slow, but I feel as if I can take my time in matches with her.

I have a similar feeling with her as my secondary. It's an interesting play-style shift when I go from Mitsu to her and overall (I usually play with more speedy characters). Speaking of speedy I really like the feel of Akihiko.

I still haven't decided which version of Labrys to stick with though.

Beckx

Not at home to test but you could try 236SB > 4A/B > 4C > 6A/B > 236236B. Not sure if it'll work though, but 236SB give you a lot more leeway to cancel into Duck and Weave from 4A/B

Thanks, I will try that.

Weave/Duck gives you Cyclone charges. If someone blocks kill rush, you can 6C into them for a grab, or 4D to bait a DP or mashing and then follow up with 6B. You can also 6CD into a crossup. I also saw something like 236A/B > 4SB > 4C > 4A > 4C > 4A > 6B in a video.

I think if you counterhit with Kill Rush you can 4A > 4C/D > 6A/B. It was in one of the challenges.

Very helpful, I should check deeper into the challenges & see what I can program training dummy to do for practicing these block options.

Haly

I didn't even stop to think about cyclone levels for Akihiko. What do they do, and what all raises it?
Cyclone will change the properties of all your Kill Rush followup moves and Cyclone Uppercut. For example, A level 1 corkscrew will blow them away, while a level 3 corckscrew will wall bounce and leave them open for a super. You get Cyclone charges whenever you cancel one Kill Rush followup into another.

Mayonaka Midnight said:
CYCLONE GAUGE

The Cyclone Gauge: As Akihiko lands certain moves a small meter at the bottom of the screen increases or decreases. This Meter is called the cyclone gauge which can increase the properties of certain moves depending on how much gauge from level 0-3

Moves that Benefit from cyclone gauge:
Corkscrew:
Lvl1: blows the opponent away.
Lv2: more untech time? and damage.Causes wallbounce on CH
Lv3: causes a wallbounce.More damage.
Crumples on CH.(same as EX version)

EX corkscrew:

Lvl1: launches the opponent.
Lv2: launches the opponent higher,Can be followed up,
Lvl3: launches the opponent even higher,Can be followed up.

On fatal:
Lvl1: launches the opponent about as high as the non CH Lvl2 version,Can be followed up.
Lvl2: launches the opponent about as high as the non CH Lvl3 version,Can be followed up.
Lvl3: causes crumple.

Boomerang Hook:
Lvl2: more damage.
Lvl3: more damage.Causes crumple.

Ducking and Weaving:
Gains more invincibility as the cyclone gauge increases.

Beckx

a level 3 corckscrew will wall bounce and leave them open for a super

Plus, according to Dustloop, Cyclone Uppercut counts as a kill rush followup itself, and so should get extra damage from being at level 3.

What are Aki's reliable ways to get FC's?

Edit: answering myself, 5B is a FC, nice.)

Onemic

Need to start thinking about who to pick for my secondary. Labrys and Akihiko seem like the two best choices for me, but man do I hate Aki's slow ass movement speed.

Haly

Yeah, most Cyclone Uppercuts are at least level 2.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Don't worry about the level gauge really. I doubt you'll be able to keep it "up" in real matches because it drops too damn quickly for all the work to even raise it a level. :/

Esura

Banned
I think Chie is re growing on me after I got my feel on other characters.

I just haven't decided on a solid man yet. Every character is fun to use...except for Kanji.

vocab

Jump cancel air combos give me a hard time in this game. They seem so easy but my double jump never comes out. Kanji's aaa dj a b 214 B is giving me tons of trouble in the challenge mode, and Slab's 2b JB DJ JA seems so hard for no reason at all.

.except for Kanji.

tumblr_m8eyntdp7w1qzpivvo1_r1_500.png

But beating Yukiko with a Chair is so satisfying!

Haly

Don't worry about the level gauge really. I doubt you'll be able to keep it "up" in real matches because it drops too damn quickly for all the work to even raise it a level. :/
Well, you're not supposed to keep it up from one combo to another. It's a per-combo thing. Basically, depending on your combo you know what level your charge will be at and the options they open for you.

Just a simple 5AAA > 4A > > 6B will bring it up to level 2.

Esura

Banned
Beating Yukiko with a Chair is so satisfying.

I just can't get into him. Then again, I don't really care for most grapple focused characters in fighters with the sole exception of Lilith from Vangard Princess.

Yukiko is awesome too. Although it has probably been mentioned before but she really does remind me of Nu and Lambda after playing with her a bit.

Beckx

I think that's looking at it the wrong way - it's more about building a combo (1) that maxes out the meter for the final hit, and (2) that you can reliably pull off.

For me it's just finding the missing piece that builds from 2 to 3. Getting to level 2 is easy, but the fun stuff, like crumple and wall bounce, happens at 3. If Haly is right and you can drop a 4C into 236SB starter, that will make for fun, repeatable combos.

I want to play around with 5A > 5B (FC) > 236A/B and see what I can do from there to get level 3 & crumples.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Cyclone level is important for a lot of things. All kinds of properties change. Akihiko's all out overhead isn't that awesome on its own but at level 3 cyclone in block string I read it becomes faster than Chie's.

level 2 is important for mid combo FA uppercuts because they send the person higher for further combo potential.

My goto combo at the moment is:
A A B 2B 236AB 4B 6C BD 2AB 236A 6B
punches > SP kill rush > hook > duck > uppercut > sweep > kill rush > corckscrew

the followup after the uppercut works because of the cyclone level at that point.

Haly

For me it's just finding the missing piece that builds from 2 to 3. Getting to level 2 is easy, but the fun stuff, like crumple and wall bounce, happens at 3. If Haly is right and you can drop a 4C into 236SB starter, that will make for fun, repeatable combos.
Concerning that, I think this is what you're looking for?

My BnB is a pretty simple 5AA > 5B > 2A+B > 236A > 4A > 6B.

Until I can land that in regular matches consistently I'm not going to bother with anything more complex. Struggling with avoiding A mashing.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think that's looking at it the wrong way - it's more about building a combo (1) that maxes out the meter for the final hit, and (2) that you can reliably pull off.

I guess the combos I use that end in the sweep 2A+B never raise the gauge because I can use the auto-combo or build my own short combo strings and it never raises for me. And when it does hit level 1, it falls back to 0 two milliseconds later to where I haven't even bothered to pay attention to the damn thing.

Teknoman

Anyone having trouble paying attention to whats going on while fighting S.Lab? Her persona just seems to take up so much space lol.

It's use or cancel; the moment you cancel a level is raised and applied to the next move, which will set everything back to 0 unless another cancel is involved. That's why you can clearly see the level at a given number >= 1 for the entirety of uppercut super but largely at 0 for most other gameplay.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You guys should be more scared of Proto he beats me
every 20th game

Anyone having trouble paying attention to whats going on while fighting S.Lab? Her persona just seems to take up so much space lol.
Listen to him and keep your eyes on her. He makes sound queues

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Honestly, if you can get in consistently, you don't need to worry too much about the cyclone meter at first. Its not like Aigis' Orgy Mode or something where you have to make it part of your strategy at all times.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Q, tips on how to get 2b JB double jump Ja consistently on Slab please!

You having trouble with what part?

For the first part you jump as soon as you can and hit as soon as you are close enough to connect.

The second part the jump cancel-able frames isn't as soon as the move hits it's a little bit after. So after it hits count half a second in your head then jump again.

Teknoman

You guys should be more scared of Proto he beats me
every 20th game

Listen to him and keep your eyes on her. He makes sound queues

Got it. Also I fell for Naota's killshot lol. Playing with Aki, seems you have to make more use of dodges than anything, but once you get in... :)

Onemic

Aki is piss easy imo. Hence why I'm playing him.

I am all about those high health, high damage, low execution characters in my fighters.

See: Abel, or Nova

Oh really? Dacidbro keeps talking about how he's a really hard character to use because he has so many combos to keep track of depending on your situation and you need to be able to properly read your opponent if you expect to get anything out of him.

vocab

You having trouble with what part?

For the first part you jump as soon as you can and hit as soon as you are close enough to connect.

The second part the jump cancel-able frames isn't as soon as the move hits it's a little bit after. So after it hits count half a second in your head then jump again.

Ya, I have been trying it like that. It's just the timing is so strict. Sometimes Ill get the Jump B, sometimes Ill get the JB DJ JA in there, but not have enough time for guillotine axe. I guess I'll keep trying it.

Also, for your B+D reversal video. Your Titanomachia inputs are Up C, + 236 C right? Or are they reversed? How does he come out from the other side? I'm still trying to figure out how to manipulate the position of Asterois in combos. I can do the basic stuff like combo into knuckle train or set up some laser beam pressure in the corner.

Blocking keeps him stationary, while letting go resets him behind me. Is that right?

Oh really? Dacidbro keeps talking about how he's a really hard character to use because he has so many combos to keep track of depending on your situation and you need to be able to properly read your opponent if you expect to get anything out of him.

That's why he is hard. His basic stuff is easy, but to remember all the follow ups in combos are much harder. When to weave and sway and to duck. Also the 2b Jumping B loops are really awkward. He takes more muscle memory than most of the cast. That's why I switched to kanji. Kanji is much more straight forward, and my neutral game with Kanji is leaps and bounds better compared to my akihiko. Plus I can't stand how bad Ceaser is. In a game called Persona, I want a good persona, and Kanji's persona has so much utility.

Teknoman

Well his counter really can catch people off guard, and yeah some of this stuff does seem pretty situational.

EDIT: Yeah Ceasar really could have had some better moves. I like the range of the swipe and the global vac, but some variation would have been nice. A launcher for instance.

Top Bottom