• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Xevren

Every time I play ranked it takes forever to find a match if I customize it to find people with a good connection. It makes me not wanna play ranked at all.

I had the same problem so I tried to find anyone regardless of connection, and usually it's fine. I've only had one laggy match ever.

Beats

You got a lot better man. Your set up is tight and it really made me want to consider banking on riskier, high damage combos because your defense was just great throughout. Typically I can bait with my face against Yukiko's because the damage output simply isn't all that high and I have the lifebar to eat it then make opponents pay later but you played great man.

But yeah, I never have my mic on - I typically sit it on the dresser but when they barged in I'm sure you just heard a lot of wtf.

Thanks >_<. Playing against Ragingnight's Yukiko made me try different ways of pressuring and step up my game in general. I also don't really have any good combos, so I gotta make up for it elsewhere heh. You definitely pulled off some high-ish damaging stuff (at least way more damaging than the stuff I can do haha) a few times though, so I had to be a little more cautious.

Thanks >_<. Playing against Ragingnight's Yukiko made me try different ways of pressuring and step up my game in general. I also don't really have any good combos, so I gotta make up for it elsewhere heh. You definitely pulled off some high-ish damaging stuff (at least way more damaging than the stuff I can do haha) a few times though, so I had to be a little more cautious.

yeah it pends on matchup. Akihiko can be free to 5C pressure in corner. You just mixup the fire explosion timing with 2A or 2D if they are too scared to push a button. Also if you think they are going to roll jump back air A.

xCobalt

So I should be getting the game sometime this week. Not sure who to play but I'll definitely be trying every character. Just wondering which characters excel at zoning and keepaway but are capable of decent mixups up close. Any suggestions? I'll probably be trying Yukiko first.

Young Magus

So I should be getting the game sometime this week. Not sure who to play but I'll definitely be trying every character. Just wondering which characters excel at zoning and keepaway but are capable of decent mixups up close. Any suggestions? I'll probably be trying Yukiko first.
In a way you just described Naoto, so you should try her out if that's what you are looking for.

Mesoian

Nothing but fraudulent Mitsuru's all night. The fact that ending 5AAA with her charge strike makes all combos safe is nuts, more so that it can combo into a 60% 9 hit combo if you chain it with EX.Bufu. Kanji damage with no risk involved. They block, you're safe, you whiff, you're safe or you can cancel into 5C. There's no risk being in people's faces at all times due to the low charge time for that strike move.

Nothing but fraudulent Mitsuru's all night. The fact that ending 5AAA with her charge strike makes all combos safe is nuts, more so that it can combo into a 60% 9 hit combo if you chain it with EX.Bufu. Kanji damage with no risk involved. They block, you're safe, you whiff, you're safe or you can cancel into 5C. There's no risk being in people's faces at all times due to the low charge time for that strike move.

Can you punish if you IB the coup?

Mesoian

Can you punish if you IB the coup?

On the combo that was being done to me in the last game before I put up the sticks, no, because even if you IB the coup, you get hit with either 2b or ex_Bufu, depending on the variation. I wanna say the combo was

5AAA, Charge Strike, 214b (CDT forward) Sweep, 2B, j.A, j.B, ex_Bufu.

The last part, the j.A, j.B might be wrong, I don't play Mitsuru.

On the combo that was being done to me in the last game before I put up the sticks, no, because even if you IB the coup, you get hit with either 2C or ex_Bufu, depending on the variation. I wanna say the combo was

what is charge strike and what is 214B?

Onemic

Yukiko added to my hate list. Faced a pair of high level Yukikos today and it seemed virtually impossible to get in. All my tools that I used to use again liz like coup are completly worthless as her recovery on her fans are too much and she can throw another one before the coup animation finishes. If I try jumping her persona which she sends at the same time as fans will either AA or catch me with her mid screen fire blast thing. If I try to be patient and block her persona gets sent for a cross up causing me to be blocking her fans on one side and her persona on the other. I just cant.....

TWILT

Banned
e7hqM.gif

YES ANOTHER CHALLENGE DOWN.

Screw whoever thought of challenge 29. Took me like an hour. My thumb still hurts. :|

Yukiko added to my hate list. Faced a pair of high level Yukikos today and it seemed virtually impossible to get in. All my tools that I used to use again liz like coup are completly worthless as her recovery on her fans are too much and she can throw another one before the coup animation finishes. If I try jumping her persona which she sends at the same time as fans will either AA or catch me with her mid screen fire blast thing. If I try to be patient and block her persona gets sent for a cross up causing me to be blocking her fans on one side and her persona on the other. I just cant.....

Thats not a crossup. You always block where the point character is.

Also Mitsu vs Yukiko is basically walk yukiko to the corner. Almost literally. She throws a persona out? hit a once. Once she blocks the block string you then just play that max range game and just walk her to the corner. She has nothing that can beat it. If she jumps back she loses even more footing. She jumps forward you 2B (unblockable). Its a really hard match for yukiko.

Teknoman

I posted some more on my blog, but yeah. It looks like it was printed over an old disc or there was some residue on the stamp.

It's your shadow emerging. Of course, TheSeks is probably right, it's the Mara edition.

EDIT: I really REALLY wish PSN had a chime for invites. I keep getting GAF battle invites and missing them because of it.

SerRodrik

Challenge mode is messing me up. I'm having a lot of trouble with Chie's challenge 21. The timing on the last A press seems incredibly finicky. I think I'm starting to get it, though.

TWILT

Banned
GIF saved.

Got any tips for Trial 29? Sometimes my Persona will come out the other side, even though I'm clearly on the left.

You might have an easier time doing it near the corner instead of doing it midscreen (that's where I did it). When you hit Agi SB, release A as soon as her Persona disappears. Then you gotta release B and hit D near the exact same time. Best advice I could give other than keep trying. =/

If it helps, I was looking at this post trying to do it.

How do you get Teddie to pop out naked?
I only got it once ever.
Isn't it supposed to be super rare? :lol

Just got done running sets with Lord Knight, he showed me some neat little tricks to improve my Chie game.

Gotta start putting in more work, Summer Jam is just around the corner.
;__;

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
On the combo that was being done to me in the last game before I put up the sticks, no, because even if you IB the coup, you get hit with either 2b or ex_Bufu, depending on the variation. I wanna say the combo was

Combo makes absolutely no sense.

Mitsuru can't combo into ex bufu after coup anyway. But she can set out an ex bufu after coup to put you in a high/low/nothing guessing game.

Sure why the hell not

PSN:K3nnycsu

soory was playing with Saru. =( next time.

GG to Saru. I think you need to work on your 2B and you'll get me. I should of lost a few games if you did the 2b combo. I also saw that you almost never use it. So I took advantage of that.

Busaiku

That's only if you're trying to get in on me.
And even then, you can still use that on screen Agi, and I still can't use it, cause I'll just get out of it.

You can still completely zone me out and there's nothing I can do about it.
I can't call items or set up TVs (only SBs), and then once you're bringing out Sakuya, I can't punish.

I just feel that there aren't really many options I can use to get in.
Anything I can are really easy to spot.

That's only if you're trying to get in on me.
And even then, you can still use that on screen Agi, and I still can't use it, cause I'll just get out of it.

You can still completely zone me out and there's nothing I can do about it.
I can't call items or set up TVs (only SBs), and then once you're bringing out Sakuya, I can't punish.

I just feel that there aren't really many options I can use to get in.
Anything I can are really easy to spot.

I'll training mode it tomorrow and let you know what counters what move. I don't know what teddie normals or the frames so I can't give you definite advice.

Also that bear drill and auto combo if you notice I was trying to IB it so I can get a guarantee punish or atleast blockstring.

O I'll say one thing. When you started throwing out items I was actually nervous. Yeah I can heal full screen away but you have the TV's. You don't even have to use it, just put it there to atleast scare me. I think too many times I figured "o tv out? he going to top". That one time we stood faced out with like 5% hp and you had the tv out and we just stood there with me having the unblockable setup and I totally forgot about it. You need to create more situations where I have to guess "tp or no tp".

Busaiku

The only normal I can use when you're using you're low pressure is the cr.A, which has like no range at all, so when you're using Sakuya to keep me at full screen, I'm kind of stuck.
I definitely throw out too many Bear Screws, but that's just about the only way I can get in and hope to sneak in some damage. It punishes mid-screen Sakuya, so that's the major reason.

For the autocombo, yeah, that's why I ended up stopping a lot even after the 3rd hit connected, cause I kept expecting blocks.

It's hard to setup up Teddievision pressure mixup situations when you can break Kamui from fullscreen.
Even then, Teddie can't overhead you, so the only thing you'd have to worry about is a grab if I'm coming low.

The only normal I can use when you're using you're low pressure is the cr.A, which has like no range at all, so when you're using Sakuya to keep me at full screen, I'm kind of stuck.
I definitely throw out too many Bear Screws, but that's just about the only way I can get in and hope to sneak in some damage. It punishes mid-screen Sakuya, so that's the major reason.

For the autocombo, yeah, that's why I ended up stopping a lot even after the 3rd hit connected, cause I kept expecting blocks.

It's hard to setup up Teddievision pressure mixup situations when you can break Kamui from fullscreen.
Even then, Teddie can't overhead you, so the only thing you'd have to worry about is a grab if I'm coming low.

I'll have to mess around in training mode with teddie. I do know people say he has one of the best neutral games out of the whole cast. I'll dick around and see if anything clicks with me and I'll let you know sometime tomorrow (if I don't forget).

sephi22

Is there a way to set up a guaranteed Teddie unblockable super? Can you force them to block the barrel then cancel into super?

Also has a european release fate been confirmed yet?

Busaiku

Is there a way to set up a guaranteed Teddie unblockable super? Can you force them to block the barrel then cancel into super?

Also has a european release fate been confirmed yet?

Yes, if you can set them up with the Oil Drum, it lasts long enough for Circus Bear (depending on which version you use).
But that's not really practical.

The most practical setup is with the Amagiya Buckets.

Top Bottom