• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Whose brilliant idea was it to omit mentioning the "unimportant" detail in Akihiko's challenge 27 that you need Cyclone lv2 for the grab to even begin to connect the combo? -.-

Venfayth

I have learned that I cannot play a competitive game, that I do not understand, for fun. Even with friends. I just get too mad when I'm losing and I don't understand why. My desire to learn/improve is eclipsed by my desire to win.

Really sucks, made a friend rage quit because of my whining/complaining.

Wish I could just turn off my emotions and just try and get better.

Onemic

I have learned that I cannot play a competitive game, that I do not understand, for fun. Even with friends. I just get too mad when I'm losing and I don't understand why. My desire to learn/improve is eclipsed by my desire to win.

I have the same problems man.

The only thing I can say about that is instead of seeing a win/loss as the only indicator of self-congratulation see it as winning if you understand something you didn't understand prior to the match, whether that be matchup experience, character weakness or player weakness.

I used to have that issues, then I realized I only have that issue with randoms that wake up ultra because I don't want to learn bad habits and I can't afford to lose games purposely just to see what the player will do and learn their habits.

Jesus, why does Thanatos's Ghostly Wail go right through people? I've only had it connect twice now. Like, Thanatos's grab goes through the enemy.

Damn, did everyone ignore this question? >_>

You can't grab someone that's actively blocking another attack. If someone is doing an attack with more/longer invincibility than the super, you also won't grab them. Hmm, that's the only time I can think of where it would pass right through someone.

It's not something you should be relying on.

Xevren

You ever try playing with some music going? That helps me a lot whenever I start getting salty.

Busaiku

are you watching Bigtwo and NerdJosh's teddie? Looks like 5B is dash cancelable or something.

Yeah, that's something I knew, but I'm always afraid to throw it out cause I suck at confirming anyways, and I almost always get punished.

Also people, you have to realize that you almost never have to stand up against Teddie.
He has a single overhead, and it's like the slowest move in the game.

MechaX

For what it's worth, it could just be with certain type of competitive games. For instance, I get absolutely destroyed in Virtua Fighter sometimes, but it still remains fun because I'm still learning stuff most times. I don't understand much, but it's still a part of the bigger puzzle. With here, some shit just fills me with rage when losing regardless of my understanding (which most often, I do not).

Venfayth

You ever try playing with some music going? That helps me a lot whenever I start getting salty.

Sometimes it helps calm me down, other times it just makes me more intense, haha.

For what it's worth, it could just be with certain type of competitive games. For instance, I get absolutely destroyed in Virtua Fighter sometimes, but it still remains fun because I'm still learning stuff most times. I don't understand much, but it's still a part of the bigger puzzle. With here, some shit just fills me with rage when losing regardless of my understanding (which most often, I do not).

Another person suggested to me that it may simply be that I do not enjoy the game. That would kinda suck :/ Been pumped for this for a long time.

I know there are logical reasons to not get mad, but I might just need practice overcoming my anger. I was the same way when I started playing street fighter. I barely ever get mad playing SF anymore, but it took me like a year to get where I am now :/ I don't know if I can wait that long for P4A.

Yeah, that's something I knew, but I'm always afraid to throw it out cause I suck at confirming anyways, and I almost always get punished.

Also people, you have to realize that you almost never have to stand up against Teddie.

He does have a crossup AOA apparently. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

And with that time out troll win I'm leaving because if I don't my parents will get mad -.-

GGs dude, you were getting hit by Maragidyne too often, and not even because of any mixups :T

Venfayth

You can crouch block his air attacks? Or are you just talking about when he's on the ground?

Ken

And with that time out troll win I'm leaving because if I don't my parents will get mad -.-

GGs dude, you were getting hit by Maragidyne too often, and not even because of any mixups :T

Uh yeah. I need to learn how to play against Elizabeth.

Actually, I need to learn all the status ailments.

Uh yeah. I need to learn how to play against Elizabeth.

Actually, I need to learn all the status ailments.

Well, for starters don't just stand there when you're shocked, I got away with plenty of stuff because you didn't even try anything, like, double Diarahan bs because of it.

Ken

Well, for starters don't just stand there when you're shocked, I got away with plenty of stuff because you didn't even try anything, like, double Diarahan bs because of it.

Yeah we should play again though. Really need to learn how to play against Elizabeth.

Are any of the characters particularly good in noob VS noob matches? And more importantly, is there a character that counters that character?

I ask because my friend always ends up picking the noobstomp characters in fighting games, and I'd like to curtail the period where he spanks me over and over while I struggle to find my footing.

Xevren

Are any of the characters particularly good in noob VS noob matches? And more importantly, is there a character that counters that character?

I ask because my friend always ends up picking the noobstomp characters in fighting games, and I'd like to curtail the period where he spanks me over and over while I struggle to find my footing.

noob vs noob? Kanji might be that, I know people trying to do that on xbl pretty hard going nuts with air dives, if he does that you could pick Liz since she does a great job of keeping him out. Liz has bad matchups though, so if it's not him that could be trouble.

Ken

Tomorrow or during the tourney :p

Speaking of which, it needs more people! You can't have a decent tournament if EVERYONE is automatically top 8 :T

What tourney?

BTW anyone on 360 want to play? Am always looking for people to play against outside of ranked. @_@

Venfayth

It's only been a week. You shouldn't be worried about your level of play just yet.

Well, Liz is the only character who I fully understand in terms of her toolset and properties, and she's the only one I know combos with.

I do not like playing a character I know nothing about (all the stuff I would know would come from playing against them, or from watching them being played on streams/replays)

I need to spend time with them in training mode to hammer out some basic BNBs and offensive tools etc.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

I have a friend that does the same, I just explain to him why he is ass and how to fix it.

Venfayth

I have a friend that does the same, I just explain to him why he is ass and how to fix it.

Maybe you should play me then, hahaha.

Typically when I ask someone why I'm losing they say: "dunno" or "i got you with my command grab"

You're on 360 right? I want to play against more Elizabeths. :3

I won't be on tonight, but definitely tomorrow night or this weekend. My GT on XBL is Slipsmoke - shoot me a friend request and I will grind games, and do my best to keep my head in the game.

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/vc3m234c3m

Hosting another Persona 4 Arena online tournament for this week (Friday, 9PM EST), but this time we'll give the Xbox 360 players some love. Stream will be at http://twitch.tv/fslink

Week 2 Persona 4 Arena (360) Tournament for NeoGAF!
Friday 9PM EST.
Double Elimination.
2/3 Rounds, losing player is allowed to switch characters during the set.
Top 8 will be 3/5 Rounds.
Please put your XBL name next to your NeoGAF username when registering. Example: FSLink / FSLink (XBL)

That tournament.

Top Bottom