• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

KAOS

I love Akihiko but sometimes I wish I could punch ceaser in the face. Such a lazy ass persona. He just stands there sucks and occasionally wacks people over the head. There's a reason why Akihiko frantically calls out his name, "CEASER!!!"... cause he's like dam man I gotta do all this work help me out bro!

Young Magus

Just played through Yu's story mode and got a
To be continued

Anyone know how to get to the next part?

Story mode is really good by the way.

Finish a few more story modes, I think it goes one of the first four, one from the next two you unlock, one of the P3/Naoto, and then Labrys.

So you're saying, I'm gonna be ass forever.

I told you anyway. If I just randomly start giving advices, I feel like I'm being condescending and telling them "hey you suck, you have to learn this!"

But I know you wouldn't take it the wrong way. Besides, who the hell blocks so much with Mitsuru?

Solune

if you refuse to learn then yeah I guess. Not trying to say you are refusing, just if
You can teach me by playing me <3
I told you anyway. If I just randomly start giving advices, I feel like I'm being condescending and telling them "hey you suck, you have to learn this!"

But I know you wouldn't take it the wrong way. Besides, who the hell blocks so much with Mitsuru?

It doesn't have to be all the time, but I'd like to know what I'm ass at and what I'm doing right. The only thing I have to go on right now is be more aggressive. I guess I should just play Q after he's done Darksiders 2 because I KNOW he'll tell me why I'm ass =p.

It doesn't have to be all the time, but I'd like to know what I'm ass at and what I'm doing right. The only thing I have to go on right now is be more aggressive. I guess I should just play Q after he's done Darksiders 2 because I KNOW he'll tell me why I'm ass =p.

Do you play Akihiko? I ask because I play Yukiko and I know some akihiko hate that matchup even though I think its 6-4 (yuki)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Only thing I teach is how to block hahaha

Soma

I love Akihiko but sometimes I wish I could punch ceaser in the face. Such a lazy ass persona. He just stands there sucks and occasionally wacks people over the head. There's a reason why Akihiko frantically calls out his name, "CEASER!!!"... cause he's like dam man I gotta do all this work help me out bro!

pk7bs.jpg

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You know what...I want to test you out. Issuing out a CHAALLLAAANNGE! (always wanted to type that)

If you are free tonight after 5PM I'm down to play you. I want to see your skills in play.

Eh sure I guess I'll take a break from Darksiders 2 for a bit later. I suck though so don't expect too much

That is the same way I feel about his Persona haha.

I won like 4 in a row against a B+ Yosuke but fight a C Lizzie and got worked. My Chie is free as hell against Elizabeth. Anybody got some tips? Is Lizzie's DP techable?

Don't know if posted yet, but check out what Yosuke be listening to in his headphones.
Yosukestasteinmusic.jpg

Haha, yeah that's awesome. Living in Inaba and listening to mainsteam Western bands is so fucking deck.

Dantis

Don't know if posted yet, but check out what Yosuke be listening to in his headphones.
Yosukestasteinmusic.jpg

Also (Minor spoilers for new event in Golden)
that's the same guitar he used in the awful pop band scene, which is neat. It's also the same as Meguro's guitar, I believe.

MechaX

Nooo, my poor Aigis is suffering, mostly due to user error.

I have no idea if I'm holding the stick wrong, but I cannot for the life of me consistently do a diagonal right motion (9). But yet, I can hit 6 quite consistently (which is better for when I'm on the right side, since I can do IADs and the falling j.B for Aigis to the left rather consistently). Even when I consciously think about it, "BZZT WRONG, you just hit normal forward instead." I also have some kind of mental block on getting down the QCF motion on a stick (input display says I'm hitting the button too soon before the motion is completed), which is making her Megido Fire stuff a nightmare. But yet I can hit QCFs easily with other characters...

What gives, brain?

Nyoro SF

I have no idea if I'm holding the stick wrong, but I cannot for the life of me consistently do a diagonal right motion (9). But yet, I can hit 6 quite consistently (which is better for when I'm on the right side, since I can do IADs and the falling j.B for Aigis to the left rather consistently). Even when I consciously think about it, "BZZT WRONG, you just hit normal forward instead." I also have some kind of mental block on getting down the QCF motion on a stick (input display says I'm hitting the button too soon before the motion is completed), which is making her Megido Fire stuff a nightmare. But yet I can hit QCFs easily with other characters...

What gives, brain?

In the event of failed QCF motions, attempt to overcompensate.
So instead of doing 236 for your motion, try 2369. I did this for a while until I got the correct placement and timing down for the actual 236 motion.

I won like 4 in a row against a B+ Yosuke but fight a C Lizzie and got worked. My Chie is free as hell against Elizabeth. Anybody got some tips? Is Lizzie's DP techable?

Unless you get a counter or fear, yes. Liz has trouble on the defense, so don‘t let her breathe and always be ready for the R-Action.

Sophia

Aigis really needs a separate auto combo for Orgia mode. Hit confirming that second hit in 5AA is a bitch, and if you hit again you end up doing the last thing you want to do in Orgia mode. ><;

What gives, brain?

You're on a stick and having that same problem? Hmm.

What gives, brain?

Sounds like you just need to keep practicing. It could be because you're jumping for the Megido cancel, so somehow the jump input is making your QCF not come out correctly. The other reason could be that in order to cancel the j.C, you have to input the motion pretty fast, so you're prematurely pressing buttons. Just like the suggestion above stated, try to overcompensate for now.

You should go into training mode, turn on inputs and figure out exactly what's going on. I remember when I was trying to input too fast, it would jump from 2 to 6, jumping the 3. I forced myself to fix that.

Aigis really needs a separate auto combo for Orgia mode. Hit confirming that second hit in 5AA is a bitch, and if you hit again you end up doing the last thing you want to do in Orgia mode. ><;

She doesn't need a second set though.

I'd give anything right now to have an auto combo that doesn't knock me away from the opponent. If I wanted to do the cannons I could do that manually. God knows it's the one thing I can do correctly. :p

Try 5AAA, jump cancel, j.B

Sometimes the j.B whiffs (not sure, character dependent maybe? Haven't tested it out too much yet) but either way, you'll be right next to the opponent.

If you're not in Orgia mode, the j.B will definitely hit. Go into Orgia mode right away and it's a free mixup setup.

EVOL 100%

Yosukestasteinmusic.jpg

No offense to the fans of these bans, but this dude has shitty ass taste in music.

It's been so long since I played that I bet everybody here would cream me so hard :(

MechaX

In the event of failed QCF motions, attempt to overcompensate.
So instead of doing 236 for your motion, try 2369. I did this for a while until I got the correct placement and timing down for the actual 236 motion.

Sounds like you just need to keep practicing. It could be because you're jumping for the Megido cancel, so somehow the jump input is making your QCF not come out correctly. The other reason could be that in order to cancel the j.C, you have to input the motion pretty fast, so you're prematurely pressing buttons. Just like the suggestion above stated, try to overcompensate for now.

You should go into training mode, turn on inputs and figure out exactly what's going on. I remember when I was trying to input too fast, it would jump from 2 to 6, jumping the 3. I forced myself to fix that.

Overcompensating seems to definitely be doing the trick for now.

I just played about four rounds online on ranked just to try to get some of the timing down in actual matches. One was against a deceptively competent rank E Yosuke player, one was against a Chie who I barely lost, and the other two were wins over a Mitsuru who was still a bit too reliant on 5A and a Teddie player who still seemed pretty fresh. Shit, given my track record the last time I took Aigis online, this is definitely an improvement. But this goes more to my main complaint in ranked how you never really seem to get players at your skill level despite what the letter ranking says; only the match with Chie was pretty close, the one with Yosuke was a blow-out, and the ones with the others were mostly comfortable wins for me somehow.

Unfortunately, never really landed the Megido Combo because, and this relates to something that Marrshu mentioned, I had a bitch of a time trying to hitconfirm her 5AA into B under pressure. Most times I would either botch it or actually get that third A (which forces me to do the falling j.B combo, which is pretty hard to get in Orgia mode presently).

On another note, I am way too slow in connecting sweep to j.B in orgia. How fast does this have to be?

Beckx

This is godlike!

------

I was feeling pretty good with Akihiko in training mode yesterday - nailing 4K combos with ease. But I go into matches and it just falls apart. Instead of hitting the 5AA > 5B > 2AB > 236A/B, etc., I spaz out right from the start, hit 5AAA instead, whiff the follow up, and get punished.

I suppose it's all just time and muscle memory. Still had a great time in a set with a friend. Would love to get some pointers if anyone wants to check out my match videos here.

One thing you'll see in the first vid is me repeatedly whiffing a throw when my friend was crouched. What's going wrong there?

Would love to get in some sets with other 360 folks here. GT=Beckx

Overcompensating seems to definitely be doing the trick for now.

I just played about four rounds online on ranked just to try to get some of the timing down in actual matches. One was against a deceptively competent rank E Yosuke player, one was against a Chie who I barely lost, and the other two were wins over a Mitsuru who was still a bit too reliant on 5A and a Teddie player who still seemed pretty fresh. Shit, given my track record the last time I took Aigis online, this is definitely an improvement. But this goes more to my main complaint in ranked how you never really seem to get players at your skill level despite what the letter ranking says; only the match with Chie was pretty close, the one with Yosuke was a blow-out, and the ones with the others were mostly comfortable wins for me somehow.

Unfortunately, never really landed the Megido Combo because, and this relates to something that Marrshu mentioned, I had a bitch of a time trying to hitconfirm her 5AA into B under pressure. Most times I would either botch it or actually get that third A (which forces me to do the falling j.B combo, which is pretty hard to get in Orgia mode presently).

On another note, I am way too slow in connecting sweep to j.B in orgia. How fast does this have to be?

Almost instant. As soon as you input sweep, dash then j.B as soon as you can.

You don't have to worry if it gets blocked since it dashes regardless. You DO have to worry about jumps to avoid the initial sweep or DPs if you mess up the timing though.

MechaX

Almost instant. As soon as you input sweep, dash then j.B as soon as you can.

You don't have to worry if it gets blocked since it dashes regardless. You DO have to worry about jumps to avoid the initial sweep or DPs if you mess up the timing though.

Oh man, this is going to be hard.

I only managed to get them to properly link twice. On reaction, I did this combo for 3.2k: sweep -> j.B -> j.A -> 5B -> j.C (two hits) -> SB Megido Fire. I spent infinitely more effort to get close to this kind of damage when I was rolling Naoto.

I don't even think my fingers can be fast enough to get the sweep -> j.B link consistently, but I'll keep trying anyway.

Edit: I also did not know that when it comes to j.C's, as long as the second hit connects, you can connect with the Megido Fire D even if you've landed (because it seemingly also moves upward); I was under the impression that it would only reach if Aigis was still in the air. That makes things slightly easier, as it gives me slightly longer to make a clean input.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Sigh, still no official release date for Europe. If the publisher doesn't do an announcement at Gamescom that is super worrisome.

Oh man, this is going to be hard.

I only managed to get them to properly link twice. On reaction, I did this combo for 3.2k: sweep -> j.B -> j.A -> 5B -> j.C (two hits) -> SB Megido Fire. I spent infinitely more effort to get close to this kind of damage when I was rolling Naoto.

I don't even think my fingers can be fast enough to get the sweep -> j.B link consistently, but I'll keep trying anyway.

Edit: I also did not know that when it comes to j.C's, as long as the second hit connects, you can connect with the Megido Fire D even if you've landed; I was under the impression that it would only reach if Aigis was still in the air. That makes things slightly easier.

Your full bnb should be sweep, dash cancel, j.B, j.C, 5B, j.C (1 hit), SB Megido, land (long delay), 214A (cannon), j.B, jump cancel, j.B, j.C (2 hits), D Megido.

It should do around 4.5k

Dantis

Little fun fact for the day!
Did you know that for Persona 4 Arena, Atlus were going to style Akihiko similar to Jason Statham in Transporter - in a suit, a bit like a cockney gangster! : )

However, when they looked at the roster as a whole, they realised they didn't really have a wild or rugged character - so director Wada asked Soejima to redesign him.

Thanks goodness for that. I thought Soejima had lost his marbles. Glad to know it's just the dumb Arena director who asked to redesign him.

Sigh, still no official release date for Europe. If the publisher doesn't do an announcement at Gamescom that is super worrisome.

Pretty sure they're not at Gamescom, so I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

MechaX

Your full bnb should be sweep, dash cancel, j.B, j.C, 5B, j.C (1 hit), SB Megido, land (long delay), 214A (cannon), j.B, jump cancel, j.B, j.C (2 hits), D Megido.

It should do around 4.5k

Thanks for taking the time to help a poor prospective Aigis player, by the way.

For this jump, should I super jump? Whenever I try to normal jump after the cannon post SB Megido, I never actually seem to reach the opponent for the j.B.

Thanks for taking the time to help a poor prospective Aigis player, by the way.

For this jump, should I super jump? Whenever I try to normal jump after the cannon post SB Megido, I never actually seem to reach the opponent for the j.B.

No problem. Are you on PSN? Maybe we can get some matches going.

Also, no super jump. You don't get a double jump if you do. Either delay your cannon a bit longer or wait until the opponent drops after the cannon hit.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks goodness for that. I thought Soejima had lost his marbles. Glad to know it's just the dumb Arena director who asked to redesign him.

Pretty sure they're not at Gamescom, so I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

PQube tweeted that they are.

MechaX

No problem. Are you on PSN? Maybe we can get some matches going.

Also, no super jump. You don't get a double jump if you do. Either delay your cannon a bit longer or wait until the opponent drops after the cannon hit.

Yeah, I'm on PSN. My PSN is MechaX0. I'm still deep in the training mode, but I'll be up for some matches soon.

Top Bottom