• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

I like it better than VF5FS as a whole. And after seeing two hours of tournament footage, this game just clicks with me. Haven't had this much fun since VF4FT/GG.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Love this game.
Against characters like Kanji, it's dope when he whiffs 5C

That's a huge difference. Going for a Kill Rush for counter and massive damage? Do it. Balls swinging in the wind. #YOLO. But just out of the blue when you and your opponent are just staring at each other? Naw. That's an easy way to get stuffed with a reaching, quick attack and punished without effort at all on their part. Akihiko's options are limited - you don't need to take big shots carelessly because you're likely to take them anyways for being smart regardless.

Beckx

Akihiko's throw is terrible. It's range is pathetic.

Also, screw the combos - you're stiff as hell. Learn how to move with your character before trying to land crazy youtube combos. Kill Rush is not a substitute for a poke - it is never your safest option as your first attack. Akihiko's basic run isn't the greatest thing in the world but good old run forward / roll or dash is essential. Its cool to sit and weave through fireballs, but at the right distance you can weave through and corkscrew right after before opponents know what him them.

You should almost never be leading with a naked Kill Rush with Akihiko.

Thanks, you're totally right about that - I am trying to treat Kill Rush like Fei Long's rekka and getting killed for it. And yeah. Stiff. :/

What's his best poke option? Just 5A or maybe j.C?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
5A, j.A and j.B.

Honestly he's not much of a poker because of his abysmal range.

Haly

I can barely close in on Mitsurus that don't want me to get close, I can't imagine how bad Aigis is.

DY_nasty

5A, j.A and j.B.

Honestly he's not much of a poker because of his abysmal range.

Pretty much this. You aren't going to be winning many poking matches, if any, with Akihiko. With him, you absolutely have to understand how to move and create/eliminate space. That can mean a lot of different things - from command dashing/weaving and corkscrewing to push people around close distances faster than opponents can plan for, by baiting with your face, or using Caesar (f u caesar). If you can get a basic grasp of those gameplay aspects, then you won't have to focus on the hail mary combos and frame traps. An Akihiko that can consistently get in and put people in the corner is a problem for anyone even if they're only cranking out 2-3k combos at a time.
Aigis says "HI"

:(

At least Aigis can jump.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I watched this on the Big Two last night. Have no clue about whats going on in the game.

persona's and Characters each have two buttons to attack with. Personas can be hit just like a character, when hit/or character is hit using a persona move 4 times they break. You can no longer use any abilties related to personas until the persona card gauge recovers. Pretty much what you need to know as a spectator.

At least Aigis can jump.
The fuck jumping? THAT BITCH FLYS!

Haly

I find the worst part about Akihiko's poke is that 5AA, his basic combo starter, won't connect unless they're almost next to you for the second A.

I JUST WANT TO HIT CONFIRM, IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK?

I find the worse part about Akihiko's poke is that 5AA, his basic combo starter, won't connect unless they're almost next to you for the second A.

The second worst part is that the auto combo super won't connect in the corner.

Haly

In other news I want to pick up Aigis but her combos look so hard :x

zlatko

Banned
So, what does this mean at the end of a combo? (0%@983)

Also, as long as I'm asking silly newcomer questions, is the any general advice for playing Chie I should be aware of?

0% meter used, 983 damage done.

Rule #1 for Chie:

Steak is awesome!

Rule #2:

RUSH THAT SHIT DOWN!

Edit: This Yosuke avatar feels silly now that I main my steak goddess. Any extra Chie avatars floating around?

Haly

I'm pretty bad at aerial combos, and most of her 5AA > 22B > * involve air shenanigans.

(I am bad at this game overall)

DY_nasty

I find the worst part about Akihiko's poke is that 5AA, his basic combo starter, won't connect unless they're almost next to you for the second A.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh

its such a task at times. There are times when I just throw all my fucks out of the window and commit to 5A>Kill Rush A like its what God intended.

vocab

Going to put some work into the game this weekend, haven't had time since I got it last week, but how does GAF likes the game overall? From the limited two days I had with the game, I find it rather amazing, and this is coming from a guy that mainly plays VF...

I haven't had fun with a fg in a long time. I just enjoy the hell out of this game and think it's probably one of the easiest to pick up and play. The online is probably the best out there as well so there's motivation to actually get better as opposed to other games with shitty online.

Also, Akihiko's throw is probably bar none the worst in the game. You either have to go straight for a tick throw, or duck in and throw. It's pretty gimmicky, and I forget he even has it.

zlatko

Banned
p4a46.png

Anyone using this? I figure it's a solid place holder till I find a possibly better Chie avatar.

Beckx

I feel no pain for anyone that plays akihiko. Getting punched in the face and dying in one combo. Screw you guys.

Ha! Last night I switched out to Liz against my friend to show him how annoying and fragile she was. So I made him super salty with Magziodyne beams that did next to no damage, and then he knocked me out. I should have used Mind Charge just to make it more hilarious.

vocab

Some times you just gotta do it. No time to confirm. Just go nuts.

zlatko

Banned
I haven't had fun with a fg in a long time. I just enjoy the hell out of this game and think it's probably one of the easiest to pick up and play. The online is probably the best out there as well so there's motivation to actually get better as opposed to other games with shitty online.

Also, Akihiko's throw is probably bar none the worst in the game. You either have to go straight for a tick throw, or duck in and throw. It's pretty gimmicky, and I forget he even has it.

I agree with the thoughts on the game. I just love it.

My only gripe is probably throws in this game, but I'm sure I'll get used to them. Something about them seems "off" right from the get go.

vocab

I agree with the thoughts on the game. I just love it.

My only gripe is probably throws in this game, but I'm sure I'll get used to them. Something about them seems "off" right from the get go.

ha. When I get air throwed I'm kinda shocked. I'm like holy shit you can air throw in this game?!? I play kanji so I can just air throw you from the ground. :lol

Dantis

p4a46.png

Anyone using this? I figure it's a solid place holder till I find a possibly better Chie avatar.

Why not use one of Soejima's Chie illustrations? He's done quite a few, and they're all really good.

Where is that one from, anyway? The eye looks a bit off.

Infinite

It's probably just the way throws work in this game. You can't throw some one for a certain amount of frames (forget the exact number) after block stun. Kinda like KOF

So, what does this mean at the end of a combo? (0%@983)

Also, as long as I'm asking silly newcomer questions, is the any general advice for playing Chie I should be aware of?

Hey, I'm a beginner too :) in fact, it took me a long time to realize that Auto-combo gives serious diminishing returns and only works on players that aren't blocking. Now, I just mix-up until I get them into the corner and save SP so I can land a 4.5k.

For me, Chie's rushdown is one of attrition and it's always more beneficial to mix-up something like jB,B,5B,2B,sweep,D and follow up (I prefer AOA if I can get in). Use training mode to try various punishes on your aerial AOAs. In the mid-field AOA, I like using 8B,B,C( again if you can B,B,C),236C - you can mix up your opponent on the ground again.

Let's fight some time, we can learn together. Also, Ninaj is pretty good with Chie, I didn't use C to juggle until after fighting him - Chie's C is fucking boss.

DY_nasty

It's the start up delay that feels off for you

I keep expecting Blazblue throws for some reason.

I just felt that every throw should signify the start of a 4k combo or corner loop when I first started playing.

SerRodrik

Why not use one of Soejima's Chie illustrations? He's done quite a few, and they're all really good.

Where is that one from, anyway? The eye looks a bit off.

Is there a good place to go to find Soejima illustrations? I love his work, but it seems like I hardly ever see them, and whenever I search it seems like I just turn up the same two or three pieces.

Dantis

Is there a good place to go to find Soejima illustrations? I love his work, but it seems like I hardly ever see them, and whenever I search it seems like I just turn up the same two or three pieces.

Online, I don't know, unfortunately. I only know them from his art books.

My wallpaper on my laptop is a P3P illustration, and it was really tough to get a high res version of it.

Dude deserves more attention. He's amazing.

Top Bottom