• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

SerRodrik

So, if I'm playing Chie and wanted to learn actual combos other than mashing A all day, would the challenge mode combos be a good place to start? How practical are they in a real match? Or should I be looking elsewhere?

Beckx

So, if I'm playing Chie and wanted to learn actual combos other than mashing A all day, would the challenge mode combos be a good place to start? How practical are they in a real match? Or should I be looking elsewhere?

Some of the challenge mode stuff is helpful to see how things play & fit together. And some of the stuff there is actually useful.

But you're better off checking dustloop.com or asking the Chie players here.

Infinite

You should totally check out some dustloop threads namely this one to get you started.

zlatko

Banned
So last night I put in like oh 5 minutes in the lab with Chie, then did around 40+ matches with an online buddy who got the game. We leveled the fuck up faaaaaast.

He already knew some bad ass Yukiko combos, set ups, etc, but just didn't know the actual match ups since he played about 1 ranked match, and rest was lab time for him.

By the end we were doing some fucking cheaaaaaap mix ups on each other. He had one with Yukiko in awakened doing her fire super to bring you towards here, and then I'd have to guess low, high, or throw set up, or cross up set up since I was stuck in block stun for the damn fire super.

I'm done searching for a main though. Tried Yosuke, tried Akihiko, and tried Chie. Chie wins hands down.

I LOVE STEAK!

Nyoro SF

Ah... okay

They've always been on ranked so haven't learned it yet :/

Literally, I just keep them out with 2B. Then burst or DP if they ever get close.

Best go into training mode and to record the dummy doing things you have trouble with. I've been looping Labrys doing sweep -> overhead axe like 40 times so I can muscle memory block it if I at least block the sweep first.

SerRodrik

Are there specific combos to pull off an okizeme? I see a lot of combos on that site that lead into an oki but no indication of what I should be doing once I actually get there.

Are there specific combos to pull off an okizeme? I see a lot of combos on that site that lead into an oki but no indication of what I should be doing once I actually get there.

Oki is a mixup setup. So any combo works from there on out. Oki just means that your opponent just got a hard knockdown (ie: they have very limited options on wake up) so you can do high/low/bait reversals/throw.

Onemic

Well it's not a stupid question so don't feel ashamed in asking. Oki is short for Okizeme and it refers to the tactics one can use while the opponent is knocked down.

Block everything high then block the last hit low.

I faced a chie player that did pressured me with a block string consisting of lows and her high low attack followed immediatly by her aoa. How the hell do you stop that? Her aoa comes out so fast that its near impossible for me to block on reaction and with it being seamlessly mixed with her block strings it made it impossible for her not to eventually get a hit on me a pound me down. Can her aoa be combo'd into? As it came out so fast during her block strings it seemed as if there was no gap open in the string to attack.

I faced a chie player that did pressured me with a block string consisting of lows and her high low attack followed immediatly by her aoa. How the hell do you stop that? Her aoa comes out so fast that its near impossible for me to block on reaction and with it being seamlessly mixed with her block strings it made it impossible for her not to eventually get a hit on me a pound me down. Can her aoa be combo'd into? As it came out so fast during her block strings it seemed as if there was no gap open in the string to attack.

I believe what you're talking about is actually one of her combos. If you get hit by the low, the AOA connects. If you block the low then you can block the high (shouldn't be that hard... AOA's are still pretty slow, even the fast ones).

edit: taken from Dustloop. I don't think the AOA can be followed up but it's a hard knockdown (according to the combos)

5C (CH) > 5B > 2B > 236A > 236A > 5B > 5C > 5AB (0%@2396)
5AB-D (FC) > 5B > 5C > 2D > JD > 5AB (0%@2737)
5BD (CH) > 5B > JC > 8D > 5AB (0%@2671)
JBB > 5B > 5C > 2B > 236A >23A > 5B > 5C >5AB (0%@2545)

I don't see any lows, so I may be wrong on that one.

Sophia

On the topic of VAs...

as much as I love Johnny Yong Bosch, I can't help but feel his voice feels too old to be Yu's voice

Not sure why that's in spoilers, but yeah, Daisuke Namikawa is a heck of a lot better for the character. Still, JYB puts on a good preformance.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
This is godlike!

------

I was feeling pretty good with Akihiko in training mode yesterday - nailing 4K combos with ease. But I go into matches and it just falls apart. Instead of hitting the 5AA > 5B > 2AB > 236A/B, etc., I spaz out right from the start, hit 5AAA instead, whiff the follow up, and get punished.

I suppose it's all just time and muscle memory. Still had a great time in a set with a friend. Would love to get some pointers if anyone wants to check out my match videos here.

One thing you'll see in the first vid is me repeatedly whiffing a throw when my friend was crouched. What's going wrong there?

Would love to get in some sets with other 360 folks here. GT=Beckx
Akihiko's throw is terrible. It's range is pathetic.

Also, screw the combos - you're stiff as hell. Learn how to move with your character before trying to land crazy youtube combos. Kill Rush is not a substitute for a poke - it is never your safest option as your first attack. Akihiko's basic run isn't the greatest thing in the world but good old run forward / roll or dash is essential. Its cool to sit and weave through fireballs, but at the right distance you can weave through and corkscrew right after before opponents know what him them.

You should almost never be leading with a naked Kill Rush with Akihiko.

FSLink

Banned
I can't blame Arc System Works and their love of having too many fucking voices in battle on Aigis! :(

Obligatory "I NEED YOUR HALP" post.

And yeah I do like JYB at times (fighting game wise I feel he's perfect for Yang and Zero), I don't feel like he fits Yu as well as his Japanese VA. :p

Sophia

I don't blame Bosch really. He's a great actor, he's just put into roles that are unsuited for his voice. Same situation with Laura Bailey. Her Rise is fantastic because it actually fits her voice.

Daisuke is unbelievably well-cast. Most of the JP cast seems to be.

Holy crap, I never realized all the roles Namikawa does. He certainly has range.

Krackatoa

Akihiko's throw is terrible. It's range is pathetic.

Also, screw the combos - you're stiff as hell. Learn how to move with your character before trying to land crazy youtube combos. Kill Rush is not a substitute for a poke - it is never your safest option as your first attack. Akihiko's basic run isn't the greatest thing in the world but good old run forward / roll or dash is essential. Its cool to sit and weave through fireballs, but at the right distance you can weave through and corkscrew right after before opponents know what him them.

You should almost never be leading with a naked Kill Rush with Akihiko.

Against characters like Kanji, it's dope when he whiffs 5C

Going to put some work into the game this weekend, haven't had time since I got it last week, but how does GAF likes the game overall? From the limited two days I had with the game, I find it rather amazing, and this is coming from a guy that mainly plays VF...

Xevren

Going to put some work into the game this weekend, haven't had time since I got it last week, but how does GAF likes the game overall? From the limited two days I had with the game, I find it rather amazing, and this is coming from a guy that mainly plays VF...

It's awesome. This is my first anime type fighter and I fucking love it.

SerRodrik

So, what does this mean at the end of a combo? (0%@983)

Also, as long as I'm asking silly newcomer questions, is the any general advice for playing Chie I should be aware of?

Top Bottom