• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Ourobolus

Banned
I picked this up yesterday and played through Yu's Arcade Mode just to try to get a feel for it. Not too shabby, only had some issues against Shadow Labrys. I plan on running through Story Mode when I get home from work a bit.

Also, I have absolutely no idea what half of you are saying. IK, FCB, 2A, 5B, etc. Huh? Anyone have a translation guide so I can understand the notation?

MechaX

Learning how to move is almost always more important than learning high end combos.

Very true.

Don't practice combos like it's the only thing you need to learn. What's the point of learning combos if you can't land the first hit? You're going to have off days where combos are just not connecting... Happens to the best of us. What you need to do then is to stick to easier combos and/or try to win without them.

Given how I kinda missed the entire boat BB in a meaningful manner, I think I'm mentally starting off on the wrong foot when thinking about approaching this game (as this is one of the first fighting games where I tried to be more competitive day one). In GG, I had literal years of playing the game before I really started to seriously learn combos, roman cancels, false roman cancels, etc. At that point, I already knew how to move with certain characters. With SF and KOF, I was shaky on combos, but I often resort to other means to get through matches. What you brought up made me realize that this is possibly the first time that I really put any thought in terms of a "process" of learning how to play a fighting game against other humans.

Esura

Banned
I picked this up yesterday and played through Yu's Arcade Mode just to try to get a feel for it. Not too shabby, only had some issues against Shadow Labrys. I plan on running through Story Mode when I get home from work a bit.

Also, I have absolutely no idea what half of you are saying. IK, FCB, etc. Huh? Anyone have a translation guide so I can understand the notation?

IK is Instant Kill, the character's finishers. Like Blazblue's Astral Heats.

FCB is full circle back I believe.

Here is a wiki for notations that would help ya out.
http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Notation

EDIT: @ MechaX I'm still learning Blazblue. I think the only reason I get by is through Noel's Drive spam. It ain't too late for it is it? I like EXTEND. :(

MechaX

EDIT: @ MechaX I'm still learning Blazblue. I think the only reason I get by is through Noel's Drive spam. It ain't too late for it is it? I like EXTEND. :(

I'm no expert, but I don't think think it's ever too late to get into a fighting game. It's just that starting out later may be more frustrating than otherwise due to the competition. But on that same coin, most people have gotten the best stuff figured out already, so you can learn more "optimal" stuff I assume.

Esura

Banned
I'm no expert, but I don't think think it's ever too late to get into a fighting game. It's just that starting out later may be more frustrating than otherwise due to the competition. But on that same coin, most people have gotten the best stuff figured out already, so you can learn more "optimal" stuff I assume.

Ah cool. I was hoping EXTEND wasn't dead. Had it since day one but I didn't have enough time to put into it at the time.

I'm not really competitive so I'd just play with people I know or met on a non-hardcore community so I'm usually not frustrated.

Nope. I'm losing on Ranked too. Mostly because I keep fighting either Kanji, Naoto, Yukiko or an Aigis, characters that I still don't know how to approach properly with Chie.

His command grab on the ground seem to just stuff everything. I want to get in on him but if I do I get grabbed and paralyzed.

I did not know you can duck that dive grab though.

Yeah..I get tagged with his command grab all the time too.

I sort of use Chie (and by sort of use I mean spam with) and her lack of range can suck.

Something she has does beat it out tho (Her sweep, Black spot or something). But for the most part you just gotta hit and run...easier said than done since like 3 throws you are dead.

But for the Kanji's that spam divegrab, just duck and punish. They seemingly never learn to stop.

the other characters plus Yosuke and Teddie are also my bane since zoning and insane speed makes my brain go numb.

I must have faced the scrubbiest players on rank during my win streaks then.

BlackJace

Do you guys feel that winning the first round puts you in a better state of mind to pull out a victory? Whenever I lose the first round, I get doubtful and anxious, which leads me to lose probably.

In fact, I think 95% of my ranked wins are straight wins.

MechaX

Do you guys feel that winning the first round puts you in a better state of mind to pull out a victory? Whenever I lose the first round, I get doubtful and anxious, which leads me to lose probably.

It really depends on a lot of things (who you're playing, how good both of you are, how shitty or good of a day you're having, etc). For me, there is often no real consistency when concerning first round momentum (or lack thereof).

Like for instance, I decided to pick up Naoto again after I completed her 28th Challenge on a whim (after literal days of trying to complete it awhile ago). I fight a Mitsuru player on ranked who legitimately knows his shit; he knows proper combos, he knows more than 5A spam, and he played a mean pressure and mixup game. Hell, that first round was close to a perfect for him.

I got a little anxious, but thought to myself "Okay... I need to change tactics, because trying to match him blow for blow isn't working." So the next two rounds, I decided to play defensively; set-up traps, and try baiting him into bullets by mixing up shot angles and delaying shots. If he got close, use Naoto's defensive action to keep him out, or try to use j.5C into an alpha pistol combo to continue to keep him out. Won the next two rounds simply because I uncharacteristically kept my cool.

On that same coin, there have definitely been matches where I body the first round, feel confident, but end up letting the match slip due to silly mistakes. So basically, I at least try for the "It's not over until it's over" state of mind as much as I can.

You should take a word from our Polish best skijumper

"I only think about next jump" ;)

Venfayth

No, especially depending on how I won. If I won off a mixup, I'm very careful to make sure I don't underestimate them in case they were sandbagging to learn what I'll do.

If I lose the first round in this game... I get nervous because I know that I will eat an IK soon.

always.

Lose round

Start winning a bit in second round/or win second round.

eat an IK.

cuts self.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

It depends. If I left like I've learned their play style, or a couple predictable attacks they rely on, then the first round wasn't a waste. It definitely adds pressure, and of course winning the first game in a best of three / five / seven match is going to help you out tremendously.

Dantis

Another week goes by with no EU release date.

I find my anticipation for this waning. I hope they release it before I lose interest all together.

CatPee

This is my first actual foray into the fighting genre thanks to my SMT fandom. As a competitive player in every single other genre I've played who hates losing with every single inch of my body, I'm so scared to take this online. Watching that stream only makes me more fearful. ;_;

Another week goes by with no EU release date.

I find my anticipation for this waning. I hope they release it before I lose interest all together.

Sept. 7th

Ken

This is my first actual foray into the fighting genre thanks to my SMT fandom. As a competitive player in every single other genre I've played who hates losing with every single inch of my body, I'm so scared to take this online. Watching that stream only makes me more fearful. ;_;

Experience isn't just a point value!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

I'm not much of a comp fighter myself, but don't be afraid. Learn the basics and a few good simple combos in training, and then head online. You'll probably be beat four out of five times, but you'll learn a lot faster than mashing away at the AI.

Don't be afraid to lose. The main way to look at it is "What did my opponent do? What can I learn from this?" Even when you win, there's much to learn.

One of the reason why Q is so good is because he adapts quickly. He'll play one round, get your playstyle and destroy you the next round. If you change, he MAY lose one round but will adapt accordingly.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan

Sept. 7th

Those guys would make just about anybody here look silly. Japan's been playing the game for like 6 months already. Plus Godsgarden has some of the best fighting game players in the world, so they'd probably make us look silly even if they didn't have a 6-month head start.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Don't be afraid to lose. The main way to look at it is "What did my opponent do? What can I learn from this?" Even when you win, there's much to learn.

One of the reason why Q is so good is because he adapts quickly. He'll play one round, get your playstyle and destroy you the next round. If you change, he MAY lose one round but will adapt accordingly.

Wut? I just mash buttons.

3Kaze

Not official, unfortunately. It could be December 31st for all we know at the moment. Zen have just said "2012.".
According to basgrospoing, Pqube (UK publisher) was leaning towards the September 7th but they can't release the game ahead of the other countries. And unfortunately Koch Media (EU publisher) has still no clue about the release date :(

Yukiko story mode question.

I had her feed Teddie the box lunch and ended up with someone else sovling the mystery and everyone getting sick from the food. That's the bad ending, I take it?

Sophia

Yukiko story mode question.

I had her feed Teddie the box lunch and ended up with someone else sovling the mystery and everyone getting sick from the food. That's the bad ending, I take it?

That's the joke ending. If you didn't get a silver or gold medal you got a joke ending. There are no bad endings.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Do you guys think P4A will be around for a while? I hope it sticks around, I'm impressed with the amount of players it has so far but everyone I mention that to says its just new FG hype.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Do you guys think P4A will be around for a while? I hope it sticks around, I'm impressed with the amount of players it has so far but everyone I mention that to says its just new FG hype.

Half and half. If Blazblue stuck around for as long as it did then Persona certainly stick around.

Nyoro SF

You are the only person I know of in this thread that's worrying about this.

Just play and have fun. I'm chilling in an Endless lobby now, just beat a S. Labrys that used her BD as an anti-air.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

It's going to bomb, sell the game and never come back.

Ken

I hope so. It finally has a character I like and can actually play.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
JUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNPEI~~~~~~~~ Where are thou?!?!?!?! I need to eat fans.

Ranked is free wins for the most part.

Got my confidence all high.

"Yeah I'm finally good at a fighting game"

lolno

Proceeds to get bodied, IK'd, styled on in the GAF lobby.

So if you want to feel better...go on ranked.

PS3 version anyway.

Lol, so that's how to do it! Why are all these scrubs playing ranked?? I thought the opposite.

usctrojan

I'm one of the scrubs getting bodied for free in ranked. Currently sitting at a 25% win rate and trying my hardest to learn to keep cool and not drop anything off of confirmed hits.

The game is so fun to play, though, that I rarely get salty about it.

<3 Chie

Ken

I'm one of the scrubs getting bodied for free in ranked. Currently sitting at a 25% win rate and trying my hardest to learn to keep cool and not drop anything off of confirmed hits.

The game is so fun to play, though, that I rarely get salty about it.

<3 Chie

I'm like around 60% B+ with only Labrys. I get pretty salty when I lose because of my terrible internet connection. :(

SerRodrik

Anybody got a room? Invite PSN: Noribig for a few :)

Side note: I like new Chie a lot but I just played some OG P4 and wow old Chie sounds great. Sexy. Steak eater.

Sigh, I know. The recasts are good, but how awesome would it have been to just get the entire original cast back? Gonna be even weirder in P4G.

usctrojan

I'm like around 60% B+ with only Labrys. I get pretty salty when I lose because of my terrible internet connection. :(

Minus the connection issues, nice!

I think my biggest problem is getting in. Is everyone who's doing decent online already comfortable with most of the matchups?

Top Bottom