• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

FSLink

Banned
Repost as a reminder that it's about an hour from now:

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/vc3m234c3m

Hosting another Persona 4 Arena online tournament for this week (Friday, 9PM EST), but this time we'll give the Xbox 360 players some love. Stream will be at http://twitch.tv/fslink

Week 2 Persona 4 Arena (360) Tournament for NeoGAF!
Friday 9PM EST.
Double Elimination.
2/3 Rounds, losing player is allowed to switch characters during the set.
Top 8 will be 3/5 Rounds.

Please put your XBL name next to your NeoGAF username when registering. Example: FSLink / FSLink (XBL)

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Protip on practicing confirms into Mitsuru's crouch-only combos: start recording the dummy and just move the stick from neutral to down over and over for like 30 seconds.

Minus the connection issues, nice!

I think my biggest problem is getting in. Is everyone who's doing decent online already comfortable with most of the matchups?

That's the thing for me.

I know what the scrub versions of Yu, Chie, Kanji, Akihiko and Yukiko are going to do (not a bad term since I too am a scrub).

I can get their basic gameplans down since I fought a ton of them. Yu's normally spam DP and autocombo and his two dive moves and of course Electric Car. I know how to block most of that. Chie's tend to mash and her reach sucks on the first A so I just wait. Kanji's just divegrab all day or jump B and try to chair you to death. Akihiko's are just autocombo all day (except DY who gets me every time with his rush punch thing since I never expect it..like a dope). And Yukiko's don't know how to handle pressure but make it so easy to get in.

So I get the basic premise of most of them, it's all about switching it up against me then (as someone's Yukiko just destroyed me..although it was a mirror match in which I aam 0-10000 in every fighting game ever)

but the others? lolno.

Yosuke? Nope mindfucked everytime. Teddie? The randomness destroys me. Characters like Liz, and both Labrys, I haven't fought many...so when I do it's like magic to me.

Mitsuru is just too classy and her pressure ruins my "lol blocking? psssssh" mentality I have sometimes.

The rarity of some characters online also makes it a bit hard to know what they all can do since despite the smaller move lists some moves don't get any use.

But it's all about repetition.

also I need to find someone to main for christ sake. I have fluctuated between like 8 characters, think I figure it out and then get blown up and have to go back to the drawing board.

I blame story and arcade mode giving a chance to play the others tho...yeah. That's it.

SykoTech

I'm a huge fan of fighting game, and this looks like a very good fighter based on what I've seen and heard. Unfortunately though, I've yet to actually play Persona 4.

*hangs head in shame*

So I've been watching the anime to catch up. Not sure if it's the best way to get into the series, but it is the most cost effective! Really enjoying it. It easy to see why people love Chie so much.

Just finished the episode where they play the Kings Game....oh wow. Yu is priceless.

FSLink

Banned
Repost as a reminder:

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/vc3m234c3m

Hosting another Persona 4 Arena online tournament for this week (Friday, 9PM EST), but this time we'll give the Xbox 360 players some love. Stream will be at http://twitch.tv/fslink

Week 2 Persona 4 Arena (360) Tournament for NeoGAF!
Friday 9PM EST.
Double Elimination.
2/3 Rounds, losing player is allowed to switch characters during the set.
Top 8 will be 3/5 Rounds.

Please put your XBL name next to your NeoGAF username when registering. Example: FSLink / FSLink (XBL)

SerRodrik

Man, it's easy to get frustrated when you're on a losing streak, but it's all worth it when you can eke out a win. Shit can get intense sometimes. I think I understand why people like fighting games better now.

vocab

I'm a huge fan of fighting game, and this looks like a very good fighter based on what I've seen and heard. Unfortunately though, I've yet to actually play Persona 4.

*hangs head in shame*

So I've been watching the anime to catch up. Not sure if it's the best way to get into the series, but it is the most cost effective! Really enjoying it. It easy to see why people love Chie so much.

Just finished the episode where they play the Kings Game....oh wow. Yu is priceless.

You have more p4 experience than me at this point. If you want to play P4a, play p4a. P4 is a real drag to play sometimes. I just got back from a p4 session, and i feel like killing my self. I spent like a week in game just hitting the x button. Now i'm bored and depressed out of my mind. No motivation to play p4a either.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Anybody got a room? Invite PSN: Noribig for a few :)

Side note: I like new Chie a lot but I just played some OG P4 and wow old Chie sounds great. Sexy. Steak eater.

I never really liked her old VA, she sounded way too old and flat, especially compared to the rest of the cast.

BlackJace

Guys! Guys! I beat Score Attack!

Took me 2.5 hours, and I feel empty inside, but...

I did it.
There's no way in hell I'm getting that trophy though

SerRodrik

Guys! Guys! I beat Score Attack!

Took me 2.5 hours, and I feel empty inside, but...

I did it.
There's no way in hell I'm getting that trophy though

Congrats dude, that's pretty crazy! I think that mode is going to be the death of me. I can win juuuuust enough matches to not give up on it entirely.

BlackJace

Congrats dude, that's pretty crazy! I think that mode is going to be the death of me. I can win juuuuust enough matches to not give up on it entirely.

I had to do some cheap stuff near the end, but I didn't care towards the last few matches. It's like MK9's Shao Khan. You have to spam something at some points in the match.

And Boss Elizabeth will make you cry. How they programmed the AI to be that cruel is beyond me.

SerRodrik

I can't even beat ADHD-Youske. :(

He can still give me a lot of trouble sometimes, but the real problem for me is Yukiko right now. It doesn't help that I can only get up to her like 1/10 of the time, so I don't really get a chance to practice or figure out how to deal with her much. Come close a couple times, though.

SerRodrik

I had to do some cheap stuff near the end, but I didn't care towards the last few matches. It's like MK9's Shao Khan. You have to spam something at some points in the match.

And Boss Elizabeth will make you cry. How they programmed the AI to be that cruel is beyond me.

The thing that keeps me going is that it doesn't seem to require you to be good at fighting games in the conventional sense (which I'm not). It seems to be as much learning the AI's tricks and patterns as anything else. And IKs are usually pretty viable too.

And I fear Liz. If I remember right, she can heal herself 100% while keeping the bonuses for awakening mode, right? Baffling. Although I suppose it makes sense, given her history in P3.

Ken

Well that was fun for me, but since it wasn't for anyone else, I promise I won't join any future tournaments or play with any more gaffers. :p

Top Bottom