• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Esura

Banned
Hah, yeah, she has instant mixups. Even on block, she can keep going as long as she has Orgia meter. I'm gonna tell you what I told Solune. You gotta take risks on DPs. Once I learn that you use it, I'd be more weary of using mixups since my timing isn't going to be good all the time and going to be eating those reversals. You can't let me get fearless/careless with my approaches.

Those instants threw me off big time. I admit though that I don't like using DP too often cause of the blue health risks. I should try to incorporate it more in my gameplan now I guess.

Is it just me though or do Chie got short reach? I knew my combos wouldn't hit you when I just hit you with the tip of 2A so I just resorted to using Rampage or sweep. It seems Rampage and the followup even throws you off.

EDIT: First post in next page? Keep it locked, keep it loaded, keep it gangsta babeh!

hao chi

I'm sure I'm late with this, but you don't get credit for a win when your opponent rage quits? That's bullshit.

Only
Kanji, Chie, and Yukiko
have them.

The choices to get them are pretty obvious...

and worth it.

I accidentally got Yukiko's joke ending the first time I played as her... totally worth it though.

Venfayth

Took some notes from that Liz combo video that was made and added a sick corner combo to my arsenal. Should generally be a kill provided I've got the SP to mind charge. Also been practicing defense against the 100 AIs.

Venfayth

What do people mean by rolling? How do I do it?

It might be called Evasive Action in this game? It's basically a hit invincible forward dash that is vulnerable near the end. They're useful for rolling through short projectiles (WILL NOT WORK against liz's disruptor or against naotos bullets, and some other stuff that has a long duration) and also just for getting out of endless pressure. They're performed by hitting A+C on the ground.

They can be thrown, and are easy to punish if your opponent is expecting one, though.

Ken

It might be called Evasive Action in this game? It's basically a hit invincible forward dash that is vulnerable near the end. They're useful for rolling through short projectiles (WILL NOT WORK against liz's disruptor or against naotos bullets, and some other stuff that has a long duration) and also just for getting out of endless pressure. They're performed by hitting A+C on the ground.

They can be thrown, and are easy to punish if your opponent is expecting one, though.

Oh, okay. That doesn't really look like rolling to me. @_@

Venfayth

Oh, okay. That doesn't really look like rolling to me. @_@

It's almost equivalent in function to rolls in other games (universal rolls in KOF 13, Abel's roll in SF4), which is why most people just call it a roll. But yeah, technically they're called Evasive Actions :)

SUPARSTARX

I hate playing against teddie

Before Xbox got patched I was playing offline at next level, all I lost to were teddie players and a shadow lab. Very aggravating character to fight.

Beckx

Super well on the PS3 apparently.

360 player ;_;

Ha! Is it sad that I'm considering getting the PS3 version as well?

Still, 360 tourney tonight! I am looking forward to this, though it will be sad when I can't crack top 8, given there's only 9 registrants. :D

Ha! Is it sad that I'm considering getting the PS3 version as well?

Still, 360 tourney tonight! I am looking forward to this, though it will be sad when I can't crack top 8, given there's only 9 registrants. :D

That reminds me, the post about the tournament should be quoted here and the FGC thread again during the day to see if we can get any more last minute entries.

zlatko

Banned
The only match up my Chie struggles with atm is Yu, and that's because I keep thinking, "oh he won't DP this time when I try to put pressure on him." Mother fucking Ken 2.0.

Venfayth

What combo video is this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tOpoGXCVTk&feature=player_embedded

It's kinda long, and tbh most of the combos are the same.

Various combo beginnings in to the same ender:

(In the corner)
2C xx Mind Charge > 2C xx B.Bufu > AOA OMC Ghastly Wail

But the last half of the video does show some cute ways of pulling off her IK during much of the casts Auto Combo. You just need to learn some just defense timings. Just, haha.

-

That ender is something I took from the video though, I've added it as an ender to my corner combo. Now my basic BNB + corner ender looks like this:

2A 5B 2AB CD.Garu D.Garu 2A 5B 5C(2) 2C xx Mind Charge > 2C xx B.Bufu > AOA OMC Ghastly Wail

Does something like 5.5k or 6k damage. I'm sure once I've practiced more I can extend it and get closer to 7k off the same meter, but we'll see.

zlatko

Banned
Just when I thought I was getting better, my Chie gets bodied by my scrubby friend who does nothing but j.B and AAAAA with Labrys ;__;

I swear, I can't beat people who mash, they destroy whatever small pressure I am able to put on them. ;__;

Just need to do a few things:

Block and punish.

Use your CD for the jump B attempts.

Use AB if he blocks your jump in attempts to open him up. :p

MotherFan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tOpoGXCVTk&feature=player_embedded

It's kinda long, and tbh most of the combos are the same.

Various combo beginnings in to the same ender:

(In the corner)
2C xx Mind Charge > 2C xx B.Bufu > AOA OMC Ghastly Wail

But the last half of the video does show some cute ways of pulling off her IK during much of the casts Auto Combo. You just need to learn some just defense timings. Just, haha.

-

That ender is something I took from the video though, I've added it as an ender to my corner combo. Now my basic BNB + corner ender looks like this:

2A 5B 2AB CD.Garu D.Garu 2A 5B 5C(2) 2C xx Mind Charge > 2C xx B.Bufu > AOA OMC Ghastly Wail

Does something like 5.5k or 6k damage. I'm sure once I've practiced more I can extend it and get closer to 7k off the same meter, but we'll see.

Thanks, I will watch tonight.

MechaX

I rage at everything now =( get schooled in marvel, get schooled in P4A. I think it's time to quit FGC

My rational side right now is saying "stick with it." A lot of these people are coming right off of the coat-tails of BlazBlue, which they have been playing for a year or more at that, or have just been playing fighting games at higher levels more consistently than others.

But once I start getting destroyed after spending hours learning combos only to choke on actual matches, then I will say "I suck at this game, I should quit fighting games."

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Learning how to move is almost always more important than learning high end combos.

OceanBlue

This thread has done a good job of scaring me away from online...

Going to try it for the first time today. I hope there are still some bad people like me online.

Beckx

Learning how to move is almost always more important than learning high end combos.

I'm taking your advice to heart and spent most of my time in training mode yesterday working on that.

what's nice about getting in on a game from the start is that you can, to an extent, shield yourself from the worry that you have to be executing like the pros in order to compete. It's easier than getting into Marvel and thinking that if you can't do touch of death combos you shouldn't bother with the game. I struggle with keeping that perspective, and it's kept from really playing Marvel much.

Venfayth

This is completely correct. I went online the first day and played something like 50 games and won 20-25 of them with 90% of my damage coming from Ziodyne spam. Point being that you don't need intricate combos to do damage. Being able to convert every hit into maximum damage is a high-end skill, and really unnecessary when you're learning the game.

i should take this advice and stop practicing this shit and just play ;_;

My rational side right now is saying "stick with it." A lot of these people are coming right off of the coat-tails of BlazBlue, which they have been playing for a year or more at that, or have just been playing fighting games at higher levels more consistently than others.

But once I start getting destroyed after spending hours learning combos only to choke on actual matches, then I will say "I suck at this game, I should quit fighting games."

Don't practice combos like it's the only thing you need to learn. What's the point of learning combos if you can't land the first hit? You're going to have off days where combos are just not connecting... Happens to the best of us. What you need to do then is to stick to easier combos and/or try to win without them.

Listen to this as well.

edit: True story, the first week, my main goal was to maneuver around and how to control my character. The second thing I did was to learn what moves were safe and what works to get in. My third steps were combos. Fourth step was to learn mixups. I highly recommend following this.

Steaks

Anyone good on 360 want to play? I need to practice for the tourney at Next Level tomorrow. I'm free for the whole day.

I play Mitsuru.

OceanBlue

Are you on PS3? I'm not that great and willing to have a match.

I am, but my connection isn't that great because I'm visiting my parents'. I'm waiting until I get home before I play anyone on GAF so my E-REP isn't tarnished.

Lost to my first Kanji. That was painful... I need to remember to calm down and short hop.

brettreyu

One of those chasing the dragon type of nights. Ended up 0-13 online with Chie but 8 of those matches I had the final round in the last pixel but couldn't close it out.

Block and punish is easily the biggest thing that I struggled with. When I got an opportunity I could usually punish really well but remembering to wait for those was difficult.

Ranked is free wins for the most part.

Got my confidence all high.

"Yeah I'm finally good at a fighting game"

lolno

Proceeds to get bodied, IK'd, styled on in the GAF lobby.

So if you want to feel better...go on ranked.

PS3 version anyway.

Esura

Banned

Don't practice combos like it's the only thing you need to learn. What's the point of learning combos if you can't land the first hit? You're going to have off days where combos are just not connecting... Happens to the best of us. What you need to do then is to stick to easier combos and/or try to win without them.

Listen to this as well.

edit: True story, the first week, my main goal was to maneuver around and how to control my character. The second thing I did was to learn what moves were safe and what works to get in. My third steps were combos. Fourth step was to learn mixups. I highly recommend following this.

Although these posts weren't directed towards me, they strike a chord with me. Guess it is something I should keep in mind on my online road with Chie (decided on a main finally).

Also, getting my ass whooped by a million Kanjis and got out Chie-ed online made me realize this as well. I should probably rewatch some replays too....

Although these posts weren't directed towards me, they strike a chord with me. Guess it is something I should keep in mind on my online road with Chie (decided on a main finally).

Also, getting my ass whooped by a million Kanjis and got out Chie-ed online made me realize this. I should probably rewatch some replays too....

For scrub Kanjis..

duck his divegrab. Most of them are then open to get combo'd. Then run or stay just out his range until he gets desperate to do it again.

For other Kanji's? yeah...He's more mobile than he seems.

Anyone good on 360 want to play? I need to practice for the tourney at Next Level tomorrow. I'm free for the whole day.

I play Mitsuru.

Well, I don't know if I'm "good", but I want to play later when I'm out of school. Did you register for the online tourney? It could be decent practice. Or maybe not but who knows :T

OceanBlue

lolno

PS3 version anyway.

Yeah... I ended up being matched against someone called p4uplayer who's probably just a macro bot or something.

I'll add you Marrshu. My PSN name is LemonsAide for those who want to add me, but I won't be playing too much this week. Chie main if anyone's curious.

Steaks

Well, I don't know if I'm "good", but I want to play later when I'm out of school. Did you register for the online tourney? It could be decent practice. Or maybe not but who knows :T

I didn't register for the online tourney.

Just send a friend invite to KenEsque and invite me to a game.

You're probably pretty far from me but I'll give it a shot.

I live in the NYC metro area, to anyone who wants to play me as a forewarning.

Sophia

Yeah... I ended up being matched against someone called p4uplayer who's probably just a macro bot or something.

I'll add you Marrshu. My PSN name is LemonsAide for those who want to add me, but I won't be playing too much this week. Chie main if anyone's curious.

Go ahead. I'll be able to play most of the week during the evenings. Do note I've got my PS3 and PC hooked to the same monitor, so I can't always tell what's going on until I switch over. >_>;l

Esura

Banned

lolno

PS3 version anyway.

Nope. I'm losing on Ranked too. Mostly because I keep fighting either Kanji, Naoto, Yukiko or an Aigis, characters that I still don't know how to approach properly with Chie.

For scrub Kanjis..

duck his divegrab. Most of them are then open to get combo'd. Then run or stay just out his range until he gets desperate to do it again.

For other Kanji's? yeah...He's more mobile than he seems.

His command grab on the ground seem to just stuff everything. I want to get in on him but if I do I get grabbed and paralyzed.

I did not know you can duck that dive grab though.

OceanBlue

Go ahead. I'll be able to play most of the week during the evenings. Do note I've got my PS3 and PC hooked to the same monitor, so I can't always tell what's going on until I switch over. >_>;l

Ah, I completely understand. I have the same thing and because of it, I tend not to play on the PS3 that often. That was with AE, anyway, because I had it on the computer as well. Now that I have P4U, hopefully that'll be different.

Top Bottom