• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

I think Yukiko's worst matchups are Mitsuru and Yu. As I progress higher in rank with my 53% win rate I find these matchups more often, which sucks.

defintely not yu. Yu is more 5-5, 5.5-4.5 at worst.

Slab is definitely yukiko's bad matchup by far.

Having a rough run online - 50 games played with Yukiko, 24% win rate heh. Still stuck at E.

I don't think I'll ever hit C at this rate.

don't play rank, you won't learn anything imo. Atleast not until way later on in higher rankings. How do you play yukiko?

Sophia

The online play really is awful in this game. Far too many people have zero bar connections and the option that's intended to filter out bad connection players doesn't do what it's intended. And that's not getting into the fact that the Ranked Play option is garbage.

don't play rank, you won't learn anything imo. Atleast not until way later on in higher rankings. How do you play yukiko?

It is very difficult to find a decent game in public lobbies. The vast majority of them have zero bar connections and far too many players. I won't even get started on the fact that it lists games that aren't even publicly joinable.

At least with Ranked you can be selective of who you play and don't have to wait forever for a game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Keep-away with Agis and C/D pressure, and if they get close I try to mix-up into a 5A5A5B5C2C236A, but if I know they'll be ducking I cut the 5A5A short or sometimes skip it completely and AOA into an air combo since I could get those pretty consistently and it lets me get some distance again. If I do it enough times they hesitate to block low, at which point I throw in sweeps and 2Cs into it again. Most of my issues are if someone gets in close and I can't burst out as I haven't gotten all the blocking strings figured out in terms of when to go high/low.

That and I tend to not be able to close out matches. I've had at least 20 games easily where I lead in 2 or 3 rounds for the most part but end up losing with the other guy having like 1/5th of their health left

Keep-away with Agis and C/D pressure, and if they get close I try to mix-up into a 5A5A5B5C2C236A, but if I know they'll be ducking I cut the 5A5A short or sometimes skip it completely and AOA into an air combo since I could get those pretty consistently and it lets me get some distance again. If I do it enough times they hesitate to block low, at which point I throw in sweeps and 2Cs into it again. Most of my issues are if someone gets in close and I can't burst out as I haven't gotten all the blocking strings figured out in terms of when to go high/low.

That and I tend to not be able to close out matches. I've had at least 20 games easily where I lead in 2 or 3 rounds for the most part but end up losing with the other guy having like 1/5th of their health left

hmm. hard to say from just reading. I play more mid range and pressure with 5C and 5A. Most people start hate being around that range and end up full screen where they start making mistakes trying to avoid my pressure. I play yukiko more as a pressure character than a zoner, but I do mix it up.

I'll have to watch your games or play you to get a judge. Unless rank mode got insanely hard at the lower ranks you should be steam rolling E->C- at the very least.

Also do you always let agi blowup in mid combos? For me its like 70% chance I don't blow it up to maintain pressure.

edit

http://www.twitch.tv/mixupnight

HYPEEEEEEEE

goldensun

The online play really is awful in this game. Far too many people have zero bar connections and the option that's intended to filter out bad connection players doesn't do what it's intended. And that's not getting into the fact that the Ranked Play option is garbage.

It is very difficult to find a decent game in public lobbies. The vast majority of them have zero bar connections and far too many players. I won't even get started on the fact that it lists games that aren't even publicly joinable.

At least with Ranked you can be selective of who you play and don't have to wait forever for a game.
I actually think this game has one of the best netcodes I've ever played on. You just have to find the right lobby with good connections and stay in it, and when you play with someone who even has a 2 bar connection the game runs smooth as butter.

XiaNaphryz

hmm. hard to say from just reading. I play more mid range and pressure with 5C and 5A. Most people start hate being around that range and end up full screen where they start making mistakes trying to avoid my pressure. I play yukiko more as a pressure character than a zoner, but I do mix it up.

I'll have to watch your games or play you to get a judge. Unless rank mode got insanely hard at the lower ranks you should be steam rolling E->C- at the very least.

Also do you always let agi blowup in mid combos? For me its like 70% chance I don't blow it up to maintain pressure.

Most of my issues are when it comes to defense. If I can't burst/tech/roll out I end up just holding block and inevitably getting hit when an overhead/low connects and then I eat massive damage.

Sophia

I actually think this game has one of the best netcodes I've ever played on. You just have to find the right lobby with good connections and stay in it, and when you play with someone who even has a 2 bar connection the game runs smooth as butter.

I don't think everyone coming up as ZERO BARS qualifies as good netcode. I've played zero bar players (including GAFfers) who have been lag free, and one bar players who's connection turns the game's 60 FPS into a 10 FPS slideshow.

In regards to the bolded: The vast majority (Read: All but one) of player lobbies I see at the moment are coming up as zero bars and/or not publicly joinable. If I have to wade through so much crap to find a game that doesn't look awful, that's not good at all.

Most of my issues are when it comes to defense. If I can't burst/tech/roll out I end up just holding block and inevitably getting hit when an overhead/low connects and then I eat massive damage.

even then you shuold have higher than a 2x% win/ratio. Those people don't know how to pressure well yet enough to require solid blocking.

But if you want to work on blocking play sets against a decent aigis or chie.

Busaiku

I know Aigis is definitely bad for Teddie, but I can't tell if Yukiko is bad, or if that's just due to me being a horrible scrub.
I lose all the time to Twilt's Yu, but I know that's not a bad matchup, I'm just not using his R Action or Guard Cancel Attack.

But with Yukiko, I've just got no idea how to get in.

Sophia

@ Marrshu: sucks bro, I never have a problem finding a few 3 - 4 bar connections and just sticking with them.

I usually find some decent 2-3 bar players. I've seen a 4 bar player a whopping total of once and it was a GAF member.

It's worst when all the Japanese players are on in the early mornings. Zero bars, all of them. Can't tell which ones are playable and which ones aren't.

I know Aigis is definitely bad for Teddie, but I can't tell if Yukiko is bad, or if that's just due to me being a horrible scrub.
I lose all the time to Twilt's Yu, but I know that's not a bad matchup, I'm just not using his R Action or Guard Cancel Attack.

But with Yukiko, I've just got no idea how to get in.

What other yukiko have you fought beside me? I've notice that most of us have very distinct playstyles.

Shito

I don't think everyone coming up as ZERO BARS qualifies as good netcode. I've played zero bar players (including GAFfers) who have been lag free, and one bar players who's connection turns the game's 60 FPS into a 10 FPS slideshow.
As a european player, I nearly always get zero bar connections. Once or twice I might get lucky and hit a one bar connection (woop!), but most of the time, yeah, zero bar. And, funny thing being, the ONLY match I've played so far where lag showed up its ugly nose in was a one bar match. Otherwise, everyone of my zero bar matches turned up smooth silk after the first 30 seconds.
So, yeah, I don't quite get why you're so afraid of those zero bar matches: just let the intro play and hope the other player does as well! :D

Busaiku

What other yukiko have you fought beside me? I've notice that most of us have very distinct playstyles.

Twilt's Yukiko has gotten better too.
He's definitely different, but can still keep me out now and there's nothing I know to deal with it.

And basically that's all that I have major trouble with.
All the other Yukikos I can remember playing keepaway and I managed to win.
And in the last week, I've mostly been doing long sets with you guys anyways, so I wouldn't have the chance to play anyone else.

XiaNaphryz

even then you shuold have higher than a 2x% win/ratio. Those people don't know how to pressure well yet enough to require solid blocking.
My issue is when I try to start a combo after blocking a string of attacks - that's usually where I end up eating another combo. Again, my defense sucks. <_<

It's gotten to the point where if I know the other guy sucks at defense and I know how to force mixups in my favor, I'll actually rushdown with Yukiko to close out a match, lol. Now up to E+!

Twilt's Yukiko has gotten better too.
He's definitely different, but can still keep me out now and there's nothing I know to deal with it.

And basically that's all that I have major trouble with.
All the other Yukikos I can remember playing keepaway and I managed to win.
And in the last week, I've mostly been doing long sets with you guys anyways, so I wouldn't have the chance to play anyone else.

Never played twilt, so I couldn't tell. I know beats00 is a rushdown style.

I think maybe its just you not being used to such a pressure character, especially one that can zone as an option. Could be a bad matchup but not by much I would presume at worst.

So many Yukiko players. I have to face more GAF people to get better at this. I still suck at combos and double QCF motions though. It's quite embarrassing.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ow, my hand. I can't believe I nearly won those two times.

Your homework is to stop doing the fire spin attack as a gap closer and to practice her bnb at least the first half of it. x.x/ You could have beat me a few times if you had damage.

Hands hurting is normal at first if you are starting fighters. Specially ArcSys stuff :lol Although if it persist after a few weeks then you might need to see a doctor and see if something is up.

brettreyu

Somehow went 3/6 today online ranked with Chie. Taking advantage of whiffs, blocking consistently, and not relying on auto combo has been huge. Also charge up, level 3 Chie is a beast. Playing ranked is teaching me a lot about each character.

I don't know if it's because I have zero experience with Arksys' games, but I'm really digging how unique each characters feels.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I hate that blockbuster my town won't even carry this game until November. Redbox doesn't have it either of course.

Don't have gamefly :\

Ken

It stinks to find out that I only win because of my 0 bar connection and that no one actually wants to play with me. :(

Lunar15

I apologize if this has been answered earlier in the thread, but does anyone know how the different navigators are unlocked, particularly
nanako
?

Most of what I hear is beating all of score attack mode, but I've also heard that you can unlock it by playing for over 50 hours? I can't get a consistent answer.

Busaiku

According to GameFAQs, it's the Score Attack with certain characters for the specific Navi, except for Teddie (Story Mode) and Mitsuru (Challenges).
For Nanako, supposedly, it's Yu, Elizabeth, Naoto, and Shadow Labrys.

I apologize if this has been answered earlier in the thread, but does anyone know how the different navigators are unlocked, particularly
nanako
?

Most of what I hear is beating all of score attack mode, but I've also heard that you can unlock it by playing for over 50 hours? I can't get a consistent answer.

different navigators have different requirements. I don't know the specifics though.

Top Bottom