• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I use auto-combo like a wuss because it makes me feel flashy.

I'm oh so sorry, guys. :(

Seriously, I doubt I'll ever get past that crutch. Why do I torture myself with the online!?

Onemic

Definitely do it before you play Elizabeth's story mode. None of the other story modes should really spoil anything from The Answer.

Edit- Actually, Aigis's story has minor spoilers from the Answer also, but mostly from the first 10 minutes or so.

Does playing arcade ruin the p4 or p3 story?

CatPee

I use auto-combo like a wuss because it makes me feel flashy.

I'm oh so sorry, guys. :(

Seriously, I doubt I'll ever get past that crutch. Why do I torture myself with the online!?

Gotta learn some basic combos to mix it up, Seks. Even the simplest, least damage-causing ones feel so much more satisfying and flashy to pull off than the auto-combo. At least do the proper inputs for the auto's moves instead of just AAAAA.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Gotta learn some basic combos to mix it up, Seks. Even the simplest, least damage-causing ones feel so much more satisfying and flashy to pull off than the auto-combo. At least do the proper inputs for the auto's moves instead of just AAAAA.

I do mix it up. With AAAA2A+B :I Then 66 (since I'm Akihiko) AAAAAAAAAAAA...

Or after AAAAA2A+B, I then become PUNCHPUNCHPUNCHPUNCHPUNCHED ROUND OVER.

try this

AA>BB>236 A > 4A >6 A

Simple and easy

you can also 236 A after sweep and then sweep again if it doesn't connect.

Deitus

Ugh, I know I'm terrible at this game, but I feel like I might be able to win the occasional match if I wasn't matched exclusively against C's and B's.

Incidently, how does the Rank system work. I know the PSR gains are based on your relative PSR, and I guess Exp is based on your performance in match. But is Ranking up purely based on wins vs losses, or based on relative PSR? Because if its either, it sounds impossible to rank up as long as I keep getting matched against high level players on a new character.

Edit - Also, is rank used for anything other than leaderboards? Since matchmaking seems to be based on PSR, I can't figure out the point of the letter rank, other than informing me that I'm going to get destroyed before the match starts.

Oh man, Ragingnight! Your Yukiko was just amazing to see in motion! It was really inspiring! I 've learned some things from those matches that I want to put into my own play, but I definitely need one character to focus on. And I know I've really got to stop pressing buttons, ugh. Thanks for playing me, though. It was really an eye opener.

Oh man, Ragingnight! Your Yukiko was just amazing to see in motion! It was really inspiring! I 've learned some things from those matches that I want to put into my own play, but I definitely need one character to focus on. And I know I've really got to stop pressing buttons, ugh. Thanks for playing me, though. It was really an eye opener.

np I was trying some new stuff I picked up from some japanese play to start putting it in muscle memory and incorporate it into my play

When we faced yukiko vs yukiko I ran into some fans without care on purpose at times because I would gladly trade hp for spacing. You just have to be careful about that and hit me with something harder than just fans and contest that spacing.

A major thing I noticed and I took advantage really early on was you also really didn't contest my jump cancel blockstring 5As so I did it almost everytime I wanted. Both character can dp it on reaction especially Yu since his dp is air unblockable on the first hit. Also I think Yu's 2B is air unblockable as well. You have start doing that once in awhile just to condition me to not take advantage of it.

edit
Also you just have to be wary of that blockstring pressure and super super. I use the awakening super as a reversal, I don't even care if it hit or block. I either want the space or the setup, dmg is just icing or if I see you pressing buttons. If you can bait the awakening super its a free punish. (also you can dp through it lol)

EVERYONE IS IN THE TV. GET IN THE TV.

rofl I just realized that hahah

vocab

236A+B 6C b+D super!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tried Labrys...she seems like a lot of fun to play, but my god her combos are tough to pull off...the timing is really tough.

the 22a combos are rough. I still haven't found the timing.

Dantis

Anyone mentioned the first week sales in the US yet?

Seems it sold 33k on PS3 and 17k on 360. Not bad, but not great. I guess despite being mentioned profusely around the web it really is still very niche.

Ken

Tried Labrys...she seems like a lot of fun to play, but my god her combos are tough to pull off...the timing is really tough.

Uh what combo are you trying to do? I've found that her red axe hitstun makes combos pretty easy, unless you're going for some really flashy stuff.

Toski

Seems it sold 33k on PS3 and 17k on 360. Not bad, but not great. I guess despite being mentioned profusely around the web it really is still very niche.

I wonder what the sales would be like without the boycotters.

alstein

Kinda surprised it did that poorly- are those around KOF's numbers? I was expecting twice that.

Dantis

So they only had 50k copies in their warehouse?

That statement will have been about how many were shipped, not sold.

Also, just so we're all on the same page, my source is Chartz. They're usually right about first week sales though I think.

Edit: Hadn't realised Chartz was blocked.

Toski

That statement will have been about how many were shipped, not sold.

Also, just so we're all on the same page, my source is Chartz. They're usually right about first week sales though I think.

Edit: Hadn't realised Chartz was blocked.

Oh, so its bullshit until Atlus confirms themselves.

Dantis

'Bullshit' might be a slightly strong way of phrasing it. Take it with a pinch of salt, but I'd imagine Atlus would have boasted if sales had been through the roof.

Toski

Chartz pulls numbers out of their ass. The only people who know the real numbers are NPD and Atlus themselves. I agree the game probably didn't light up the charts, but those Chartz numbers are most likely wrong at this point and time.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Crap, think I burned myself out on this game. Played a good 500-ish matches in the first week and haven't had the desire to turn my ps3 on the last few days. Goodnight sweet Aigis.

Crap, think I burned myself out on this game. Played a good 500-ish matches in the first week and haven't had the desire to turn my ps3 on the last few days. Goodnight sweet Aigis.

hahah wow. I take my time. I spend one session in training mode, one session for sets and then take good breaks watching/reading about matchup, gameplay strats and etc.

Sucks that you got burned out though =(, but got damn 500 matches. I think I'm only at like 300~.

Dantis

This is actually my plan. Rent the game, finish the story, boss online for two weeks and then send it back.

I hope the community is still solid when it comes out in the EU.

Toski

I have a C ranked Yosuke at lvl. 9 with 72 matches played and 24 won. I must've lost 8+ matches trying to get my 20th win. I wonder how the game dictates rank.

Beckx

I put my two matches up from the 360 tourney on up on my channel, despite how embarrasingly I got bodied. Really I need a ton of blocking practice. So far almost all of my matches have been player matches with one of my XBL friends. Other than just keeping at it and playing different people, any tips for improving my blocking abilities?

OceanBlue

I don't know how people play so many games in a week. I can't even do so in 2-3. That must be why I'm bad at fighting games. I prefer offline and training mode too much, even if that just means I have awful fundamentals and poor blocking.

cj_iwakura

Seems I was premature in blaming the OST's mediocrity on Meguro, it wasn't all him according to the credits.

Guess he's knee deep in Persona 5!

Deps

I put my two matches up from the 360 tourney on up on my channel, despite how embarrasingly I got bodied. Really I need a ton of blocking practice. So far almost all of my matches have been player matches with one of my XBL friends. Other than just keeping at it and playing different people, any tips for improving my blocking abilities?

Looks like you just need to play more matches. Biggest part of good blocking is experience. You need to know when you can press buttons or move around and when you need to block. As you play more you start to see what your opponent can do and when. Like vs Yu if he's outside 5B range you know he can only do slide (which is unsafe) or his sword dive (which is slow and can be punished on reaction). You shouldn't focus on blocking practice just focus on getting better at your character and it'll come with time.

Noi

You guys make me feel bad that I don't put in 1/4 of the time you do but still manage to get by with my incredibly fraudulent Labrys.
KuGsj.gif

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm probably going to pick up Labrys as a sub.

That's my hardest personal matchup anyways - may as well learn the ins and outs from the other end of the stick that's been beating my ass.

Should be fun to have reach for a change too.

Dantis

Seems I was premature in blaming the OST's mediocrity on Meguro, it wasn't all him according to the credits.

Guess he's knee deep in Persona 5!

Bro, I've been saying it's not him for months. I've made topics on GFAQs and I've said it here.

You're behind with the times.

Dantis

Kitajoh is listed as the 'Main composer'. I'd assume that if it is him, Toshiki Konishi helped, because Kitajoh doesn't really do guitars.

cj_iwakura

Kitajoh is listed as the 'Main composer'. I'd assume that if it is him, Toshiki Konishi helped, because Kitajoh doesn't really do guitars.

Meguro still worked on the game, I think the closing song was him, and Labrys' theme definitely sounds like his work.

Top Bottom