• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Onemic

Akihiko is the bomb. Having tons of fun using him in training mode, but it'll be a while before he can see the light of day in a match. He has so many combos for different situations its crazy. He almost seems like a cross between Yun and SF Makoto

atomico

What's the trick to the "30 minute training mode session" achievement?

I left the game running for an hour twice, yet the cheevo never popped

Xevren

Maybe it wants you to actually play in it for half an hour? I dunno. I had no problem with that but I'm a training mode monster.

Holy shit, Yosuke with Sakukaja is fast as hell. Like he's just disappearing left and right.

Btw, how do you link up the flipping slashes with him? After you do the the rush thing and he knocks the dude in the air, I can get one of the flipping slashes but then the direction on the next one confuses me. Does this make sense? I don't know the move names.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Akihiko is the bomb. Having tons of fun using him in training mode, but it'll be a while before he can see the light of day in a match. He has so many combos for different situations its crazy. He almost seems like a cross between Yun and SF Makoto

Need to auto-combo you to death before you completely level up on me...

LuuKyK

Nice matches with hao chi minutes ago.

My first time online in the game. Had a great time. Tried a bunch of different characters. I will probably main Mitsuru because she is kind of mash/easy character. lol And I suck at the game so yeah. Problem with her is that she has no range. -_- Or at least I couldn't find it in her move set. I mean she has the (circle back) one but it is not reliable at all. Her normal combos are great though.

Tried Elizabeth and my god, she has a low HP. I will never learn how to play as her. x__x Great specials though. Tried Labrys too. She's ok I think. Need to see more.

Now I need to train more combos/moves with this characters. I was kind of lost today. :S

hao chi

I messed around in training for about 10-15 minutes, then just left the game on and then every 5-10 minutes just pressed something on the controller and I got it.

AutumnAve

So, started out yesterday, arcade stick in lap, grinding out combos in training mode, but struggling mightily, everything was giving me problems. I could get to challenge 15 or so with the entire cast, but no farther than that.

Then this morning I realized this was four buttons, and I really didn't need to extra buttons I thought maybe playing with a dual shock would be easier for me. It was. I guess like VF5, I'll be playing P4A on pad. As for a main, I'm liking Labrys a little, i like Mitsuru, and Yu. Which is crazy, because I came into this all ready to love Chie,but it's not clicking, maybe after I get more comfortable with the game systems. AutumnAve, guise, come hit me up on PSN, I need guidance, lol.

Geneijin

Holy shit, Yosuke with Sakukaja is fast as hell. Like he's just disappearing left and right.

Btw, how do you link up the flipping slashes with him? After you do the the rush thing and he knocks the dude in the air, I can get one of the flipping slashes but then the direction on the next one confuses me. Does this make sense? I don't know the move names.
214 to moonsault left, 236 to moonsault right.

Deitus

Man, as Chie I feel like I can't even fight back against half of the cast. Elizabeth and Yukiko zone me like crazy. Kanji, Labrys, and S.Labrys leave me in a weird position where I can't keep my distance because they outrange me, but if I try to close in, they always get the first hit and take down 2/3 of my health in a single combo. And Mitsuru... I don't even know where to begin against Mitsuru... she just destroys me. The rest of the cast I can at least fight back against, even if I don't fight particularly well.

I'm not saying complaining the game is imbalanced, I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

But man Chie's extreme lack of range causes trouble for me. Maybe I should switch characters, but none of the other characters quite feel right to me. I've beaten story mode with half of the characters and done challenge mode with everyone up to about challenge 21 (on average). But most of the characters for me range from "man this is clunky and awkward" to "there's no way I could ever play this character", with Chie being the only one that felt kind of alright. Not really sure what to do here.

Mesoian

Man, as Chie I feel like I can't even fight back against half of the cast. Elizabeth and Yukiko zone me like crazy. Kanji, Labrys, and S.Labrys leave me in a weird position where I can't keep my distance because they outrange me, but if I try to close in, they always get the first hit and take down 2/3 of my health in a single combo. And Mitsuru... I don't even know where to begin against Mitsuru... she just destroys me. The rest of the cast I can at least fight back against, even if I don't fight particularly well.

I'm not saying complaining the game is imbalanced, I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

But man Chie's extreme lack of range causes trouble for me. Maybe I should switch characters, but none of the other characters quite feel right to me. I've beaten story mode with half of the characters and done challenge mode with everyone up to about challenge 21 (on average). But most of the characters for me range from "man this is clunky and awkward" to "there's no way I could ever play this character", with Chie being the only one that felt kind of alright. Not really sure what to do here.

Chie's air normals are extremely quick. Try baiting responses by waiting for irregular times to toss out a j.B. The Chie's that are getting in on me bait the normal BnB combo, break off with a normal straight up 8 jump, and wait until falling to just about mid screen to bust out a j.B, which throws off my timing and usually lets her get in.

Just do it in the direction opposite of the last one you did. With Yosuke's air attacks it doesn't matter what side of the screen you're on, he'll flip or throw kunais in the direction of your inputs.

Deitus

Chie's air normals are extremely quick. Try baiting responses by waiting for irregular times to toss out a j.B. The Chie's that are getting in on me bait the normal BnB combo, break off with a normal straight up 8 jump, and wait until falling to just about mid screen to bust out a j.B, which throws off my timing and usually lets her get in.

Pardon my fighting game ignorance, but does j.B mean a midair B attack? And what is considered the BnB combo for Chie? Just reading your explanation there makes me realize how much worse I am at this game than I even thought.

MechaX

So apparently, I can only play Aigis fairly competently (in terms of performing combos and doing quick IAD movements and what-not) on a pad, and can only play Naoto on an arcade stick.

So not only have I essentially been trying to jam a square peg into a round hole in terms of finding a character that I really like, this comes up. How many people here are playing on the pad anyway?

LuuKyK

So apparently, I can only play Aigis fairly competently (in terms of performing combos and doing quick IAD movements and what-not) on a pad, and can only play Naoto on an arcade stick.

So not only have I essentially been trying to jam a square peg into a round hole in terms of finding a character that I really like, this comes up. How many people here are playing on the pad anyway?

I am.

Because I don't have an arcade stick t_t

Mesoian

Pardon my fighting game ignorance, but does j.B mean a midair B attack? And what is considered the BnB combo for Chie? Just reading your explanation there makes me realize how much worse I am at this game than I even thought.

Yup. mid air b. j.B = jumping B.

Her BnB is 2a, 5b, 5c, 236a, 236a, wait, 5b, 5c, 236b, 236b, 5b, 5c, 214c, 236236d.

Deitus

Her BnB is 2a, 5b, 5c, 236a, 236a, wait, 5b, 5c, 236b, 236b, 5b, 5c, 214c, 236236d.

Wow, crazy. If I could pull that off consistently I would be doing a lot better than I do now. Usually if I can land 236a, 236a, I just finish with 236c or 214d (unless I have 50 SP, in which case, GOD HAND), since at least I get get one more decent damage hit in, and I can possibly put them in a defensive position if I rush them while they are down. But I'll have to try practice that one, so when I actually do get a hit off I can make it count.

I think a huge problem for me is being able to consistently block. Obviously if they are rushing at me blocking is not too hard as long as I can go high and low at the right time. But if I am rushing at the enemy, I'm never quick enough on the draw to transition to blocking when they inevitably used a mid-ranged attack before I can close the distance. That and noticing when the enemy is about to grab me so I can not just sit there and block while they grab me (This is a big part of why I can't beat Kanji).

played Wonder_Chef, a guy from the MK9 community.

So fucking salty. Won 4-0 against his akihiko.

Then it went to 9-8 or 8-9, against his Yu. I really despise Yu and how his dp is cancelable to super on block. Why? I made the read and baited the dp, why do I have to guess again?

Shito

Then it went to 9-8 or 8-9, against his Yu. I really despise Yu and how his dp is cancelable to super on block. Why? I made the read and baited the dp, why do I have to guess again?
Punish him while he's in the air, or better yet: cross him up to mess with his inputs while he's mashing that super!

Punish him while he's in the air, or better yet: cross him up to mess with his inputs while he's mashing that super!

Yeah. First time I ever got really salty in P4A. =( I just really fucking dislike Mash dp for all options, and it beating shit clean. Yukiko loses her only reversal super because mash dp beats it clean

Noi

sup. Q also plays pad. P4A is probably one of the most pad-friendly fighters there is. (Just map actions to shoulder pads as needed).

EVOL 100%

Played for the first time in like 2 weeks or so.

All that theory fighter in my head payed off pretty well it seems. Combos/strategies that I thought up while I wasn't playing worked pretty well, so I was playing a lot better than I used to. Got demolished by an Akihiko though :( I have no idea what the hell I should do when I get into a corner.

And regarding the pad/stick question, it's really a matter of preference imo. I play much much better on a pad and some pros play with a pad too.

zlatko

Banned

Is this combo only possible in corner? I've yet to do all this as my BnB for Chie. Hell I even printed off a ton of her combos/mix ups for mid and corner, as well as lead to Oki/damage off of dustloop and didn't notice this one.

Any video links to it by chance?

----

As for how goes my Chie experience as my main it's damn fantastic. I got to B rank(C+now), and have over 300 PSR as well as hit level 20. I even have videos saved of me beating S+ ranked players. Mitsuru players at that.

I don't have any match ups that I feel give me too many issues, but Naoto and Teddie give me a run for my money. Oh and DP happy Yu's I have to quickly adjust to.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
From another thread:

Surprise collaboration was revealed: Famitsu article. (You might have to copy and paste the url)
Persona characters in a Lord of Vermilion game

RY2RO.jpg

I'm guessing anything that happens in this one wouldn't be canon? ;P

Dantis

I'm assuming that's not the collaboration Hashino was talking about?

It's only Narukami in it, and I don't see why Hashino would be working on that. Also, he said he wouldn't be able to talk about it for a long while.

I'd expect it's just coincidental timing.

Riposte

Never heard of the Lord of Vermilion series.

If that's the surprise collaboration, that is really disappointing.

It is pretty huge in Japan. A major arcade franchise and big money making for SE. If I recall correctly, all of this speculation began from a translated Japanese message.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm assuming that's not the collaboration Hashino was talking about?

It's only Narukami in it, and I don't see why Hashino would be working on that. Also, he said he wouldn't be able to talk about it for a long while.

I'd expect it's just coincidental timing.

I haven't looked at the other screenshots yet, but they do have P3 and P4 logos in the article as well.

TWILT

Banned
played Wonder_Chef, a guy from the MK9 community.

So fucking salty. Won 4-0 against his akihiko.

We still have to fight now that I think of it. ;)

CatPee

Mitsuru is my main, I think. Not that it really matters.

Hahah, small world. I remember facing you yesterday with Chie and being cheaped out with all those pokes and the "gg" message afterwards. :p

You would've beat me regardless though. This is literally my very first fighting game and I've had it since last Thursday. >_>

Nyoro SF

You would've beat me regardless though. This is literally my very first fighting game and I've had it since last Thursday. >_>

Don't give up though. The moment you learn a 2D fighting game in and out, that will transfer over to all other 2D fighters and you won't have to relearn riding the bicycle. As a starter character I think Yu or Mitsuru are better choices to begin with than Chie.

I'm reading some of the first posts in this thread and it's a bit disappointing to see so many people say "I always am bad at these games" then they quit like two days in.

Just had a 12 game win-streak on ranked with Akihiko, scumbagged 3 wins with the instant-kill. 1 guy tried to block it, 1 guy tried to punish me and jumped into it, 1 guy got sandwiched between aki and the globe. Pretty embarrassing for both of us honestly.

I should probably learn the optimal combos for Akihiko so I can do more damage on punish. I've tried to get the JB loop down so I can do 7k on fatal counter but they always drop out for some reason, maybe it's a tight link or something. Right now, I only do the around 4k on punish with 25 meter.

Need to work on my post-machine gun punch mix-up a bit, maybe add in the sweep/overhead or ex duck. I didn't know people can actually mash dp between the body-blow followup, that complicates things a little.

Oh and bypassing awakening is the most satisfying thing ever.

CatPee

Don't give up though. The moment you learn a 2D fighting game in and out, that will transfer over to all other 2D fighters and you won't have to relearn riding the bicycle. As a starter character I think Yu or Mitsuru are better choices to begin with than Chie.

I'm reading some of the first posts in this thread and it's a bit disappointing to see so many people say "I always am bad at these games" then they quit like two days in.

Hah, no worries. I have absolutely no intention of quitting.

OceanBlue

That's how it is with every fighting game, unfortunately. You even get that from people who are actually good at other fighting games, but don't want to or can't invest the time to relearn another game.

AutumnAve

Hahah, small world. I remember facing you yesterday with Chie and being cheaped out with all those pokes and the "gg" message afterwards. :p

CatPee, you weren't bad, though. You were able to get in and destroyed me in round two, I had no choice but to adjust my tactics. So, hell yeah you get a "GG" I really want to help foster this community, and I felt scummy laming you out. :3

Top Bottom