• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Ken

That and Thanatos is kinda easy to break, and if you hit him during an attack Liz takes FOREVER to recover. Seriously, those lasers can be pretty dangerous for herself too.

A persona broken Liz is a very unhappy Liz. At least I am good god I feel extremely limited during that time D:

It helps a lot to know that your SB Laser inflicts shock and I should probably block it instead of trying to air dash in lol.

Don't hate the robot!

BTW, I hate Liz too. That stupid Sentinel laser. That stupid super armor burst. That stupid robot grab. That stupid COUNTER GRAB. AUGGHHHAUGHAHAGUGH.

fuck the robot

and lol at hating Elizabeth

even more lol for an aigis user hating on her

she's too slow for you to hate

Wow

The Answer almost last boss is such bullshit.

Yo Ima let you finish but let me Deathbound and crit your entire team twice in a row when I have no hp.

I hope whoever decided this was a good idea isn't working on 5.

Pouh

Oh hai gais.
Where's my EU date at?

Seems to be delayed to October now...

"Hello
It would be 7/9 but then Japanese release was a little bigger than I expected, so they work on larger server space for European release.
It will be released in October, the specific date is not clear, but I will keep you well informed.

Thanks for your interest!

Sincerely,
Henrik Martling"

Releasing it after TTT2 and DOA5 ? Hmm...

Noi

Despite being much more familiar with his matchup, I still hate fighting Teddie.
KuGsj.gif
ggs Busaiku

KSai

When does the story mode get good? I played up to the first "To be continued" with Yuu and I'm seriously yawning. You guys tricked me into buying this game for the story, and the story sucks!

On a serious note, the A and B placements are funky. But I won my first ranked match and I'm loving the fighting. Definitely a fun fighting game.

Noi

When does the story mode get good? I played up to the first "To be continued" with Yuu and I'm seriously yawning. You guys tricked me into buying this game for the story, and the story sucks!

Yu probably has the most dull story in the whole game, followed by Chie (joke ending aside). The other stories are much better.

Oh no, joke endings. I shouldn't have hoped for no gag reels.

Eh, they're not too offensive if you're comparing them to BlazBlue's. There's only 3 total (
Chie, Kanji and Yukiko
), and the characters stay mostly in-character with 4th wall remaining quite intact.

On a serious note, the A and B placements are funky. But I won my first ranked match and I'm loving the fighting. Definitely a fun fighting game.
Well the four main peeps from p4 all have very similar stories, larbys perhaps?

Noi

I literally just beat P4 Golden and I'm like clawing at my face to get started on Arena's storymode finally.

What order is best?

Two P4 characters, one P3 character to unlock Labrys' story, then Labrys. Until you do Labrys' story, every other character stops at a cliffhanger (which you can jump right into after picking a character cleared before Labrys, so you don't have to keep a save around for those 3 dudes to continue them).

Dantis

So is the story mode worth it? I'm seriously considering to just watch the whole thing on youtube or read a plot summary.

Well, it depends who you ask. A lot of people say it's good, particularly Labrys' story, but there's barely any gameplay, so you wouldn't lose anything by watching it on Youtube. I think everyone I've asked about it also agrees that it's excessively long-winded and absolutely full of redundant dialogue.

EVOL 100%

Well, it depends who you ask. A lot of people say it's good, particularly Labrys' story, but there's barely any gameplay, so you wouldn't lose anything by watching it on Youtube. I think everyone I've asked about it also agrees that it's excessively long-winded and absolutely full of redundant dialogue.

Ugh. That shit bugs the hell out of me.

I guess I'll beat two characters' stories and see how it works out.

Dantis

It might not be a problem to be honest. I hear a lot of people talking about Persona 4's redundant dialogue, but aside from Naoto summarising the plot for fifteen minutes every other hour, I didn't think any of it felt redundant.

hao chi

I literally just beat P4 Golden and I'm like clawing at my face to get started on Arena's storymode finally.

What order is best?

The game kind of already has an order laid out for you. You start out with four P4 characters to choose from, then when you get to the cliffhanger for one of their stories, you unlock Kanji and Teddie, then when you play with one of them and get to their cliffhanger, you unlock more characters, and this repeats a few more times.

So just pick whatever character you're most interested in from the most recent characters available. You can always go back and check out the rest of the stories later if you're really curious to see all of them.

Shito

:lol I tried to play yesterday but I got kicked from like 8 different lobbies after 2 games -.-
Can't blame them, to be honest: the perspective of having to watch the same guy roll on everyone else for X number of matches must be a little bit disheartening. Especially since they were "loser's out" rooms, I suppose, as 90% of rooms are.
Maybe you should create your own room, either putting winner's out or touting about expert level play or Idon'tremembertheexactnameoftheicon?

Sophia

I'm still wondering the point of global online play. It's completely worthless when every Japanese player comes up as zero bars. You can't tell who you have a stable connection two and who's going to be a lagfest.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm still wondering the point of global online play. It's completely worthless when every Japanese player comes up as zero bars. You can't tell who you have a stable connection two and who's going to be a lagfest.

Well, to be fair East Coast US to Canada(Junpei?) and West Coast US (Dragon) is also 0 bars apparently and stutters (not sure if connection or the game itself). So, yeah...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Can't blame them, to be honest: the perspective of having to watch the same guy roll on everyone else for X number of matches must be a little bit disheartening. Especially since they were "loser's out" rooms, I suppose, as 90% of rooms are.
Maybe you should create your own room, either putting winner's out or touting about expert level play or Idon'tremembertheexactnameoftheicon?

But I'm no expert I got the game when everyone else did for the most part. I havent even played it all that much over the last week. The people who kick people after losing a match or two even if they are not face roll matches are just people that will never fucking become better and if you never want to become better even a slight bit whats the damn point of playing these types of games? To mash buttons and be amazed and stuff happening? Go play dynasty warriors for that shit. I'll gladly sit here for 10 hours straight losing the entire time against a godly ass player. Why? Because the more I play against them the more I learn how the game works and what does and doesn't work. How to defend how to mount a correct offensive and so on. Of course if you are the type that doesn't experiment mid match and just want to throw the same shit out over and over. Then yeah no progress no matter who you play.

I play with my mic on, I offer advice mid match too when people with mics sound confused about stuff. People are just salty. The most common complaint is the fact I use shadow lab. This is hilarious as fuck coming from Mitsuru and Aigis players

Dantis

It's not as bad as Dantis makes it out to be. There are a few repeat scenes, but you're not required to beat the story with every character to get the full story.

That's not what I meant. A lot of people have said that the game is basically sometimes too wordy for its own good, with parts which serve no purpose than to fill space.

But I also pointed out that people said the same about Persona 4, and I didn't feel it was true in that case so it might not be here.

TheSeks

The problem with story mode, like Arcade mode is that some characters are repeats of another's story just instead of the other characters name, it's their name.

However, the extra bits like
Aigis' hostage rescue
actually break that monotony and kinda make it worth it.

Shito

But I'm no expert I got the game when everyone else did for the most part. I havent even played it all that much over the last week. The people who kick people after losing a match or two even if they are not face roll matches are just people that will never fucking become better and if you never want to become better even a slight bit whats the damn point of playing these types of games? To mash buttons and be amazed and stuff happening? Go play dynasty warriors for that shit. I'll gladly sit here for 10 hours straight losing the entire time against a godly ass player. Why? Because the more I play against them the more I learn how the game works and what does and doesn't work. How to defend how to mount a correct offensive and so on. Of course if you are the type that doesn't experiment mid match and just want to throw the same shit out over and over. Then yeah no progress no matter who you play.

I play with my mic on, I offer advice mid match too when people with mics sound confused about stuff. People are just salty. The most common complaint is the fact I use shadow lab. This is hilarious as fuck coming from Mitsuru and Aigis players
Can't speak for them, but maybe they just see you're too high-level for them at the moment, and prefer to find people at around their level or slightly better?
I agree that to get better you need to play against better people than yourself, but always doing so can be a bit demoralizing; this is why the best advice is usually to find someone of your level and "level-up" by playing him for a while, so as to get a few wins and a feeling of progression. That, and the fact that a good majority of people playing the game online at the moment are just "casual fighting game players": they probably don't have this "I lost but I can learn how to get better through it" mentality. Plus I'm sure you're winning ratio just scares them off! :D
Finding good opponents is probably the hardest thing to do in fighting games; I myself am just a very crappy player, just above noob-level: I demolish beginners, but get demolished against competent players like you seem to be, and I always have the hardest time finding good competition at around my level, that I can enjoy AND use to step up my game. ^^

And yeah, you could probably use any character and people would rage against it, instead of just recognizing that you're better than them. It just shows you don't search the same thing as them when playing fighting games. They want instant fun, you (and I think quite anyone else posting regularly here on this topic) want to get better at playing this game. Different strokes and all that; I'm sure in a few weeks those people will leave (and be replaced by European noobs, HOPEFULLY!).

Sophia

That's not what I meant. A lot of people have said that the game is basically sometimes too wordy for its own good, with parts which serve no purpose than to fill space.

But I also pointed out that people said the same about Persona 4, and I didn't feel it was true in that case so it might not be here.

Oh, in other words a "complaint" shared by both Persona 3 and Persona 4. I'd really like to know what scenes are being referred to as "no purpose." :p

The problem with story mode, like Arcade mode is that some characters are repeats of another's story just instead of the other characters name, it's their name.

However, the extra bits like
Aigis' hostage rescue
actually break that monotony and kinda make it worth it.

These parts are few and far between however. The only part that really comes to mind is the beginning for the four core Persona 4 members.

I find your Shadow Labrys extremely fun to play against, actually, even if I lose all the time due to a lack of experience. Sounds like the greater internet community doesn't share my enthusiasm of losing 25 games in a row however.

I find your Shadow Labrys extremely fun to play against, actually, even if I lose all the time due to a lack of experience. Sounds like the greater internet community doesn't share my enthusiasm of losing 25 games in a row however.

Most *CASUAL* gamers don't care about improving or losing. They only care about winning. They lose a round? They don't look to improve. They just whine about what they just lost against. "HEY! LOOK AT THAT PERSONA! IT'S THE WHOLE SCREEN. OF COURSE I'M GOING TO LOSE! IT'S OP"

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

What order is best?

Personally, I like:

Yu -> Yosuke -> Chie -> Yukiko -> Teddie -> Kanji -> Naoto -> Aigis -> Akihiko -> Mitsuru -> Labrys -> Repeat above order to clear cliffhangers -> Elizabeth

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Most *CASUAL* gamers don't care about improving or losing. They only care about winning. They lose a round? They don't look to improve. They just whine about what they just lost against. "HEY! LOOK AT THAT PERSONA! IT'S THE WHOLE SCREEN. OF COURSE I'M GOING TO LOSE! IT'S OP"

Indeed. This is why you see so many of the base characters *ryu/ken type stuff* or people that jump straight to the top tier list characters with out testing out other characters first. Then they blame other shit :lol

The funny thing is a lot of the shitty tier whore players would do better if they played a character that clicked for them more. Specially in arcsys games.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
This is me to some extent. I hate losing to the point where I will avoid playing a game if I don't find myself improving after a certain period of time.

Venfayth

I found the p4 characters story modes to be really boring. I would just do Yu, leave the other guys for later, or until you need a laugh.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Honestly, Q scared me a lot more in BB. That Taokaka haunted me for years.

Been busy as hell this week though. I want to dedicate a solid day of practice to Akihiko but uggggggggh

TheSeks

Honestly, Q scared me a lot more in BB. That Taokaka haunted me for years.

Been busy as hell this week though. I want to dedicate a solid day of practice to Akihiko but uggggggggh

Unless he's changed in CS:Exceed LOLWUTPEAR.jpg

And Q completely turned me off BB along with the characters. True fax.

Top Bottom