• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

I'll just quietly pray for a nerf

The only thing I want nerfed is just cross slash. I can handle bad matchups. I just can't fathom unpunishable, invul, no trade, reversal super for 50sp.

But in reality I don't want nerfs and buffs. Way too soon (even if the game has been out for 5 months+ in japan).

I just wish there was better decision making when they designed cross slash.

fubarduck

The only thing I want nerfed is just cross slash. I can handle bad matchups. I just can't fathom unpunishable, invul, no trade, reversal super for 50sp.

But in reality I don't want nerfs and buffs. Way too soon (even if the game has been out for 5 months+ in japan).

I just wish there was better decision making when they designed cross slash.

Most of the cast can say "it's my turn now" as long as they have meter, that's part of P4U's design and isn't necessarily bad considering every character has similar abusable tools. Yu has to make you block something to do a Cross Slash cancel, whereas Chie can just do Meteors and bam, free unpunishable super with ridiculous mixup. Not sure how you can bitch about Cross Slash making unsafe moves safe when characters like Chie can do something 100% better with the same meter and awakening mode requirement.

If you hate Cross Slash so much, save your meter and K.O. them before they hit awakening mode :) Labrys can do it easily!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Most of the cast can say "it's my turn now" as long as they have meter, that's part of P4U's design and isn't necessarily bad considering every character has similar abusable tools. Yu has to make you block something to do a Cross Slash cancel, whereas Chie can just do Meteors and bam, free unpunishable super with ridiculous mixup. Not sure how you can bitch about Cross Slash making unsafe moves safe when characters like Chie can do something 100% better with the same meter and awakening mode requirement.

If you hate Cross Slash so much, save your meter and K.O. them before they hit awakening mode :) Labrys can do it easily!
Chie?

I don't see how that is "100% better with the same meter" at all. Those mixups are seen coming a mile away as soon as the Meteors go off. Its a fair guessing game, only difference being that Chie gets a free covered approach.

"Kill them before they get meter" is just lol too.
If anything is nerfed, nerf Kanji's "Burn em to a crisp" special, or whatever its called. Shit is bananas.

Its the one thing to avoid with Kanji. He doesn't have shit to get in with as it is. I really don't mind it. People just spam the hell out of it - it isn't safe at all and once you know its coming you can destroy people who use it without any real issue.

Yukiko can't skip awakening easily or else I would do it every single game.

Chie meteor are designed to be free get in mixup. They aren't meant to be used in combos or on wakeup or etc. Nor does it hit like a truck and have invul frames. Also the thing that makes it fairer, you can still trade.

Cross slash is like "fuck you, i want to press buttons and even if you didn't press buttons hold that shit because we're back at neutral." Its not like doesn't have a good reversal to begin with. All I want is cross slash to be punishable on block. Fine OMC it and make it safe. You can't even trade, hes totally invul for the whole thing.

Cross Slash isn't op by any means, I just despise Yu. I already said I'm bias and I think its obvious I'm just salty about it.

Ken

Yukiko can't skip awakening easily or else I would do it every single game.

Chie meteor are designed to be free get in mixup. They aren't meant to be used in combos or on wakeup or etc. Nor does it hit like a truck and have invul frames. Also the thing that makes it fairer, you can still trade.

Cross slash is like "fuck you, i want to press buttons and even if you didn't press buttons hold that shit because we're back at neutral." Its not like doesn't have a good reversal to begin with. All I want is cross slash to be punishable on block. Fine OMC it and make it safe. You can't even trade, hes totally invul for the whole thing.

Cross Slash isn't op by any means, I just despise Yu. I already said I'm bias and I think its obvious I'm just salty about it.

Me too.

Dantis

I haven't even played p4 the RPG! P4G is going to be my first way in but it is going to be like "YOU MOTHER FUCKER BETTER CROSS SLASH YOUR WAY THROUGH THE GAME".

I can only imagine your disapppointment when you find out that Cross Slash isn't a move in the RPG.

Shito

Cross Slash isn't op by any means, I just despise Yu.
Already said it twice, I can say it thrice: yup, me too!
Main thing I can't stand about him is the fact that on quite anything but his slides all of his other bullshit tools are safe, either by themselves or because he can cancel it into some other kind of bullshits. Sure, against a "regular" player you can learn how to handle it, and when to expect what, but against scrubs playing him, my god, hell's on earth. I find I basically have to throw the first round away just to catch on their habits, and deal accordingly in the following ones; problem comes when those flowcharts Yu have played enough matches to understand they just need to be random with their bullshits to destroy any kind of mindgame and get "easy wins"...

Dantis

I've been an Atsushi Kitajoh fan since Trauma Center: New Blood. I'm glad he's done some of my favorite tracks from this game, too.

He's a great composer, but I've never been a fan of his battle music. I feel like Meguro would have done a much stronger soundtrack if he'd done it on his own.

Songs like Kanji's theme show that Kitajoh isn't really up to the task of doing a 'heavy' song.

I'd say Arena has a good soundtrack, but a worse soundtrack than Persona 3, 4 or FES. I like it a lot more than Golden's though.

Well..what are they called then?

I haven't played the game, so I couldn't tell you which songs are in there. If I had to guess, I'd assume it would be something like New Days; Your Affection; Hearbeat, Heartbreak; Iwatodai Dormitory; When The Moon Is Reaching To The Stars and Want To Be Close. Might be completely wrong though.

EDIT: Zen have finally released a statement regarding the EU release. It's less than positive.

Good Morning Everyone,
With so much speculation going around with regards to the release date and status of the EU version, we thought it best to address this on here.

There are currently a number of issues surrounding development and subsequent release of Persona 4 Arena in Europe. As we are not directly involved in the development process for P4A, these are elements which are beyond our control.

We are however, doing everything we can to help resolve this, so that we can
get the game into stores and, crucially, into your hands as quickly as possible.

We do understand your frustration and a need for a concrete release date, however, until we can ascertain exactly what that release period will be we are hesitant to do so. We would rather have all the facts about release to hand, and all issues be resolved, before making such an announcement.

Please be assured that as soon as WE know what the release date will be, YOU will be the first to know.

Any dates you see online are purely speculation. The first announcement of a release date will happen on the Persona Europe FB page and the Persona.4 FB page. We will then notify our contacts in the main Fighting Game Communities around Europe. If you have not seen a confirmed release date on this page, then it is best taken as a rumour.

Please also be aware, any events that are taking place around Europe will not disrupt the process of releasing them game. Given that these issues have arisen, the team here are making a concerted effort to support the community by having payable builds at your events while you await release. I know many of you are eager to play P4A, and we will facilitate that as best we can in the interim.

Josh and Paul are in London today for Astral Heat in Gamerbase and will be more than happy to answer your questions as best they can.

Likewise, I (Geraint - some of you here know me I’m sure!) will be at i46 in Telford on Friday and Saturday, and will be happy to talk, as always - and hopefully enjoy a few games together.

As ever, your patience and understanding is appreciated.

Shito

There are currently a number of issues surrounding development and subsequent release of Persona 4 Arena in Europe. As we are not directly involved in the development process for P4A, these are elements which are beyond our control.
What the heck are they talking about?

Shito

I have absolutely no clue. Sucks for us though.
I guess the only consolation is that it's only a fighter spinoff this is happening with. If it was Persona 5 I'd be seething right now.
Yeah well, I don't have it that bad neither, since I'm playing the game on a japanese PS3 anyways, it's just that I'd like some more local (read: "less laggy") competition, and I'd also like to play it with a few friends of mine...

The only "development process" that I can think off would be localization, but I thought they were just going to release an english version and call it a day. I can see it become quite a problem, with of all those texts being pictures and textures...

Nyoro SF

I know I'm late but let me join in on the Yu hate. I really do not like fighting that guy. Mainly his damage is too high for already having such great range with a sword. Has a fullscreen projectile invincible option and can reaction Lion to any of my ground attacks.

I can totally see how someone could go on 60+ game win streaks with this guy. Too many tools that other characters wish they could have.

tl;dr edition on Zen United's statement: You know the rumoured EU dates that's been floating around? Throw them out the window. I'm going to predict 2013 here, since releasing in the maelstrom that is the October and November release schedule is sheer madness.

Shito

Funny trivia: Koch Media, who's supposed to be distributing the game in France, will also be distributing DOA5 this coming september.
Now, to think they are postponing P4A just so they don't release both at the same time, well...

Wow, reading about so much hate for Yu is kind of sad. Did the Mitsuru hate train already go by? Chie? Aigis? Personally, Yosuke is still the character that gives me the most trouble.

fubarduck

"Kill them before they get meter" is just lol too.

I said nothing about kill them before they get meter, I said kill them before awakening mode activates (30% health). All chars in this game can do 4K+ combos with meter, and Kanji/Akihiko have the highest health in the game at 10,500 and 10,000 respectively. How is K.O.'ing them before they hit awakening mode unrealistic? Already happens all the time. It's a valid strategy.

And man, if GAF hates Yu, wait until people get good with Naoto, Chie, Mitsuru and Aigis.

Shito

It's not so much about hating good characters or characters with good tools at their disposal, I think it's more about hating on one that has so many bullshit tools that can be used at scrub level to fuck you up.
Scrub-Chie can mash her autocombo as much as she wants, it's easy to counter and doesn't lead to an invincible and unpunishable super.
Scrub-Naoto can lay traps and fire from across the screen as much as she wants, it's easy to counter and doesn't lead to an invincible and unpunishable super.
Scrub-Aigis can... well, I don't think you can play Aigis at scrub level anyways.

The Yu-hate doesn't come from good people using his tools, but from apparently crappy players abusing his tools. And making it hard for any player to counter him.
Plus it's not so much a hatred as a "well, I really don't like playing against this character". For me, at least.

Yosuke gives me plenty of troubles, but at least I know I can punish him when he makes mistakes.
I don't have to guess right once, and then have to guess right ANOTHER TIME just after that to be allowed to punish him.

Nyoro SF

And man, if GAF hates Yu, wait until people get good with Naoto, Chie, Mitsuru and Aigis.

I dunno. While I've been rocked by all four of those characters, the learning process on how to fight them has been very rewarding. Yeah, they have bullshit, but at least it's calculated BS.

I just saw tournament footage of a Labrys player that refused to ground tech against Yu because the player knew he would not be able to block Izanagi's ice cream sandwich mixups, thus resulting in a 18-hit invalid combo that could've been escaped four times.

I'll just be watching Kazunoko going on 100 game win streaks in Godsgarden some more, wondering how Yukiko is going to score a clean hit into 4000 damage on this guy while she gets anally penetrated with his sword in the corner.

Uncle AJ

*finishes every character's true ending*
*99% complete%
fffffffffffffff

I'm positive I got all the joke endings, so maybe I missed something with Yu? He had some dialogue options I never picked but assumed they didn't affect anything.

Ourobolus

Banned
I really need to get better with Chie. I like playing as her, but I just get creamed. On the other hand, my Teddie went 4/4 last night, so I must be doing something right with him...

*finishes every character's true ending*
*99% complete%
fffffffffffffff

I'm positive I got all the joke endings, so maybe I missed something with Yu? He had some dialogue options I never picked but assumed they didn't affect anything.

You need to pick the first of Yu's options and beat his story twice. The second time, when seeing Margaret at the end, pick the second option.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I said nothing about kill them before they get meter, I said kill them before awakening mode activates (30% health). All chars in this game can do 4K+ combos with meter, and Kanji/Akihiko have the highest health in the game at 10,500 and 10,000 respectively. How is K.O.'ing them before they hit awakening mode unrealistic? Already happens all the time. It's a valid strategy.

Its not a valid strategy because your opponent isn't always going to let you ration their lifebar and take little bites until you're ready to pin them down and finish it quick and like you want to.

Akihiko and Kanji both have to work harder than anyone in the game to get in and do damage - they don't really get to be picky about how they do it either.

Again, the issue isn't so much the tools of the character, but the fact that the risk/reward surrounding certain tools provide massive benefits that simply aren't comparable to the rest of the cast. Aigis busting out instant overheads is a bitch, yeah, but there is at least a respectable degree of difficulty associated with that. Same with Mitsuru. Naoto's degree of difficulty is much higher. Chie isn't even in the same group at all.

I don't even mind the Yu Army nearly as much as the Mitsuru Legion, but the fact remains that some of Yu's abilities aren't just safe as hell - but they're laughably easy to pull off at the same time while kicking out cake easy damage.
I dunno. While I've been rocked by all four of those characters, the learning process on how to fight them has been very rewarding. Yeah, they have bullshit, but at least it's calculated BS.

I just saw tournament footage of a Labrys player that refused to ground tech against Yu because the player knew he would not be able to block Izanagi's ice cream sandwich mixups, thus resulting in a 18-hit invalid combo that could've been escaped four times.

I'll just be watching Kazunoko going on 100 game win streaks in Godsgarden some more, wondering how Yukiko is going to score a clean hit into 4000 damage on this guy while she gets anally penetrated with his sword in the corner.
Yeah, Yukiko landing 4k on demand is lol

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
LOL are people here seriously bitching about Yu? xD

I don't even mind the Yu Army nearly as much as the Mitsuru Legion, but the fact remains that some of Yu's abilities aren't just safe as hell - but they're laughably easy to pull off at the same time while kicking out cake easy damage.
Mitsuru is a million times safer than Yu with higher pay off as well. Every characters moves and shit in this game are easy to do. Yu is a very baitable character, you cant bait mitsu as her shit leaves safe unless she derps out a dp.

The problem with Yu is that most of his high damage stuff relies on him either being in awakened mode or for him to burst cancel.

Onemic

Its not a valid strategy because your opponent isn't always going to let you ration their lifebar and take little bites until you're ready to pin them down and finish it quick and like you want to.

Akihiko and Kanji both have to work harder than anyone in the game to get in and do damage - they don't really get to be picky about how they do it either.

Again, the issue isn't so much the tools of the character, but the fact that the risk/reward surrounding certain tools provide massive benefits that simply aren't comparable to the rest of the cast. Aigis busting out instant overheads is a bitch, yeah, but there is at least a respectable degree of difficulty associated with that. Same with Mitsuru. Naoto's degree of difficulty is much higher. Chie isn't even in the same group at all.

Yeah, Yukiko landing 4k on demand is lol

Dont hate on my pokes brah.

But ya, I find beyond 5A spam, mitsu is pretty hard to play well with mainly because she has one of the worst mixup options in the game. Hitconfirming a block into a sweep feint is hard as fuck to do.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Dont hate on my pokes brah.

But ya, I find beyond 5A spam, mitsu is pretty hard to play well with mainly because she has one of the worst mixup options in the game. Hitconfirming a block into a sweep feint is hard as fuck to do.

Her mix up stuff is a little hard to get down perfect yeah but everything else about her is super in her favor. Some characters cant even 2b her damn j.b

Shito

Mitsuru is a million times safer than Yu with higher pay off as well. Every characters moves and shit in this game are easy to do. Yu is a very baitable character, you cant bait mitsu as her shit leaves safe unless she derps out a dp
They're both safe, but Mitsuru doesn't have the "get out of jail for free" super that Yu has. And she doesn't have the same easy high/low mix-up, nor does she has the "lol-sandwich" thing.
Mitsuru's mix-up shit isn't really safe, btw, there are holes quite everywhere; she basically just relies on frame traps with her 4/5/6B and sweep feint shit, both of them being way more difficult to handle than Yu's options.
At high level yeah, I think Mitsuru is way more dangerous than Yu, but at scrub level Yu is so much more aggravating than Mitsuru can ever be. ^^

zlatko

Banned
LOL are people here seriously bitching about Yu? xD

Mitsuru is a million times safer than Yu with higher pay off as well. Every characters moves and shit in this game are easy to do. Yu is a very baitable character, you cant bait mitsu as her shit leaves safe unless she derps out a dp.

The problem with Yu is that most of his high damage stuff relies on him either being in awakened mode or for him to burst cancel.

Yu is definitely annoying. Trying to run at him on the ground gets me poked from far out into him comboing me, and if I opt to do air shenanigans and try to change my trajectory to avoid his down B, I still get bopped by it often and that leads to another big air combo. Once he has me in the corner and if I don't have burst it can be super annoying to deal with, because I swear I block high 90% of the time when he opts to do his sword stab dive and I'll still get hit by it 30%-50% of the time. Not sure why that is. I react fast as hell to it too, and most Yu's do it in a pattern so you can predict it. My issues tend to surface after that dive since I want to punish ASAP starting with a 2A or 5A combo starter, but too often I get fucking DPed by him, and then those times I try to bait it out just leads into new pressure or a throw set up. Yu getting a throw off in a corner on you sucks since the damage is pretty damn good for a damn easy combo.

All around he's an annoying character to fight against. I beat them probably 50-50, but the better ones keep my Chie in a constant state of getting shit on.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
They're both safe, but Mitsuru doesn't have the "get out of jail for free" super that Yu has. And she doesn't have the same easy high/low mix-up, nor does she has the "lol-sandwich" thing.
Mitsuru's mix-up shit isn't really safe, btw, there are holes quite everywhere; she basically just relies on frame traps with her 4/5/6B and sweep feint shit, both of them being way more difficult to handle than Yu's options.
At high level yeah, I think Mitsuru is way more dangerous than Yu, but at scrub level Yu is so much more aggravating than Mitsuru can ever be. ^^

This never maters when discussing characters.

TWILT

Banned

Bufudyne? Least I've never been able to punish it.

Top Bottom