• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Dantis

Okay guys, serious question in light of the EU release being fucked and whatnot:

How much would I lose by watching a HD playthrough of the story mode on Youtube?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I haven't seen too many LP/walkthroughs for P4A yet though, so there may not be a complete one that covers all the chars and true endings out. Then again, I primarily look for blind runs since I find those more entertaining, so I may not be looking for the right stuff in that regard.

I'm not "bitching" about Yu being broken or overpowered. I just don't like the character, probably because of the amount of people that just do random shit with him. So I just associate Yu to a "lets press random buttons and mash dp" character.

I have fought chie/aigis/mitsu before. Overall none of them try to scrub me out. Yes they are all better than yu but they don't piss me off probably because the player playing them isn't just randomly pressing buttons.

Its really the biggest reason why I quit rank. I can't stand one game one set.

BlackJace

>mains Yu
>depressed :(

I see where you're coming from. Even though I don't come across them much online, the ones I do come off as being 5AAAA spammers, or Raging Lion/Swift Strike spammers.

>mains Yu
>depressed :(

I see where you're coming from. Even though I don't come across them much online, the ones I do come off as being 5AAAA spammers, or Raging Lion/Swift Strike spammers.

Yeah no offense. There are great Yu players. But its like when I fight most Yus I have to turn off my brain or else I lose. I would have to literally go "what is the worst option this Yu could do that has the highest risk and a medium reward, ok that is most likely the option they will go with".

Things like Fullscreen slide, full screen dives, mash dp during all forms of pressure, wake up super, etc etc. Then when you start learning bad habits and fight a decent Yu that knows how to choose their options, you'll end up getting blown the fuck up. Pretty much the only reason why I play sets is so that I can DL the player and player habits.

Yeah no offense. There are great Yu players. But its like when I fight most Yus I have to turn off my brain or else I lose. I would have to literally go "what is the worst option this Yu could do that has the highest risk and a medium reward, ok that is most likely the option they will go with".

Things like Fullscreen slide, full screen dives, mash dp during all forms of pressure, wake up super, etc etc. Then when you start learning bad habits and fight a decent Yu that knows how to choose their options, you'll end up getting blown the fuck up.

That has less to do with Yu and more to do with low level opponents.

anyway

fuck mitsuru, fuck aigis

Dantis

I haven't seen too many LP/walkthroughs for P4A yet though, so there may not be a complete one that covers all the chars and true endings out. Then again, I primarily look for blind runs since I find those more entertaining, so I may not be looking for the right stuff in that regard.

Had a quick look, and it seems strangely hard to find one without some random shmuck jabbering over it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Seta's AC/DC move is the only annoying bit about him from the ones I've fought, really.

TWILT

Banned
If you manage to bait/predict Bufudyne, I think you can mash roll during the super flash and you'll be able to get a counter punish.

Yeah, pretty sure you can do that. Think I'll hit the lab and try roll punishing it (and Cross Slash) tonight when I get home.

I'm not "bitching" about Yu being broken or overpowered. I just don't like the character, probably because of the amount of people that just do random shit with him. So I just associate Yu to a "lets press random buttons and mash dp" character.

I have fought chie/aigis/mitsu before. Overall none of them try to scrub me out. Yes they are all better than yu but they don't piss me off probably because the player playing them isn't just randomly pressing buttons.

Its really the biggest reason why I quit rank. I can't stand one game one set.
Man, you must have hated fighting against me last night. ._.

Beckx

Okay, I am looking for back to basics tips here. I am so, so much worse at this game than SSFIV (but then, they are completely different games, so it's not reasonable for me to expect to be good!).

I am just getting mauled right now. I am accepting of the fact Akihiko has trouble getting in, that's not my big issue right now (if I can't overcome it, I'll just switch to Mitsuru's full screen normals :D). Right now I just feel like I'm in a vortex of suck and not getting better. My defense is a shambles and I feel it's a moral victory if I get my opponent to half health.

Shito

That has less to do with Yu and more to do with low level opponents.
A mix of both, I think: this has to do with Yu being a character that low level players can get "easy wins" with. Which reflects badly on the character afterwards.
But yeah, I think anyone complaining about him here can also acknowlege and compliment good Yu players. Complaints are more about the design of the character, that allows scrubs to abuse of his tools, rather than people in general playing him.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
A mix of both, I think: this has to do with Yu being a character that low level players can get "easy wins" with. Which reflects badly on the character afterwards.
But yeah, I think anyone complaining about him here can also acknowlege and compliment good Yu players. Complaints are more about the design of the character, that allows scrubs to abuse of his tools, rather than people in general playing him.

More people should bitch about how easy s.lab is to play then

Yeah, pretty sure you can do that. Think I'll hit the lab and try roll punishing it (and Cross Slash) tonight when I get home.

Man, you must have hated fighting against me last night. ._.

No I honestly didn't. LOL So sorry if it came off like that. I lost a few games because I made mistakes. it was GG dude, no worries.

Shito

More people should bitch about how easy s.lab is to play then
You really don't share the same skills as us mere mortals. :)
Every single s.lab I've seen online was a scrubby s.lab, and I don't think I've ever lost to one. While I regularly get beaten by low-level Yu players in ranked.

A low level scrubbing it up is going to get blown the fuck up. You can't complain about that.

There's nothing (relatively) wrong with Yu's design, because he's not Mitsuru or Aigis.
Fuck both of them, by the way.

OceanBlue

Chie's pretty scrubby too, but you all know this. I feel like all I do is wait for people to do something unsafe or mash A and then run them through the Tomoe blender.

Onemic

A low level scrubbing it up is going to get blown the fuck up. You can't complain about that.

There's nothing (relatively) wrong with Yu's design, because he's not Mitsuru or Aigis.
Fuck both of them, by the way.

Yu is easier to win with than both of those characters at low levels.

Elizabeth is the only non-scrubby character in the game

Yu is easier to win with than both of those characters at low levels.

I imagine Kanji's even easier to win with at low levels. He's not Mitsuru or Aigis though.
Seriously, fuck those two to hell. Fuck. Them.

Sophia

I almost feel sorry for the Aigis player I just played. Poor kid had no wins and I win the first round throwing fans at him. >_>;

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ok guys, here is why you are losing to low level Yu's

Your brain process is probably going something like this.

MAN THIS GUY IS FUCKING SHIT IMMA JUST PUT HIM OUT OF HIS MISERY

WAKE UP CROSS SLAAAAAAAAAASH

oh shit fuck I forgot about that DAT SCRUB

OKAY GONNA FUCK HIM UP AGAIN

CROSSSSSSS SLAAAAAASH

Oh wtf OKAY MAN NO ONE WOULD DO IT A THIRD TIME THAT WOULD BE FUCKING NOOB

CROSSSSSS SLAAAAASH

FUCK

Replace cross slash with DP's or wake up with block string stuffs or no one does full screen cars imma just run at him.

Oh and if you are bitching about his cancelable dp, come on son you should only be tricked by it ONCE. Scrubs almost always super cancel it, just roll through after the block and fuck em up after

Sophia

Okay how come I never get the stupid players when I play Aigis? That's twice in a row I've gotten people (first Aigis, now Akihiko) who have just let me throw fans at them instead of having a real match.... The Akihiko player messages me afterwords with "fkn pussy" and I replied with "Airdash bro..." >_>;

Yeah as a scrub even if I die due to bullshit tactics...I know it's my fault.

I can't handle Kanji...but I won't call the dude a scrub since I keep getting hit by divethrows and other shenanigans. .

Doesn't mean I'm not salty (got my yellow raincoat on) but I know it's my fault.

Onemic

You can't lose to Elizabeth's DP, because it doesn't do any damage. It can't kill you, ever.

From our games that was the main way you beat me. It doesn't do dmg but it destroys any type of offense you make by throwing you full screen and subsequently giving elizabeth plenty of offensive options. Plus dem status effects.

She's not scrubby abusive like yu, but she does have her own set of easy bs.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
From our games that was the main way you beat me. It doesn't do dmg but it destroys any type of offense you make by throwing you full screen and subsequently giving elizabeth plenty of offensive options. Plus dem status effects.

Liz is the worst character in the game. It's an arcsys game though, everyone is going to have something abusive.

she has bs, yes, everyone in the game does

but it's not easy

what you're describing is returning the game to neutral, not giving elizabeth some huge advantage or dealing out massive amounts of damage for punishing a mistake

and it's techable, so even when it lands, you can still avoid all that anyway

OceanBlue

but it's not easy

what you're describing is returning the game to neutral, not giving elizabeth some huge advantage or dealing out massive amounts of damage for punishing a mistake

For some character types or matchups, I'd imagine that returning the game to neutral is a pretty big advantage. But anyway, I don't want you to think I was saying Elizabeth's DP is just some scrubby move that's even a pain for good players to deal with. I was just making a throwaway remark to you saying that Elizabeth DP mash doesn't beat people.

Shito

Well, to be fair, having the opponent full screen away from her is usually more to Liz' advantage, so I'd say it's nooot quite returning the game to neutral. But yeah, it's only a very slight advantage, and a much needed tool for her -- nowhere near as "bullshit-lol" as Yu's or Mitsuru's DP.

Btw, while we're at it: it's techable, but isn't the tech window much smaller than for a standard throw?

but it's not easy

Right, everyone has bs. And right, some characters are easier to use... and unfortunately that's just how it rolls. Elizabeth has a lot of traps and make opponents think in a certain way, but you seem to be caught in gimmicks and ALWAYS doing them. I can't tell you how many times you knock me down full screen and send lasers my way so you end up eating my super.

I know I'm not making it easier for you but sometimes it's just how you use the character. Personally, I just remember yesterday doing a consecutive double DP after a knockdown when TWILT baited me out. I distinctly remember thinking "OH!!! I shouldn't have done that." But hey, you live and learn.

Bottom line, learn your characters' strengths, minimize the weaknesses and read/learn your opponent. I don't mean to sound mean or anything, I'm just hoping this pushes you to think differently and try out new tactics.

Yeah, that's true.
But the tech window being shorter is something I've heard of without really checking it, so I was just curious as to whether or not it was the case.

Honestly I don't know either, since I'm never on the receiving end of it I wouldn't know.

Top Bottom