• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Okay, I am looking for back to basics tips here. I am so, so much worse at this game than SSFIV (but then, they are completely different games, so it's not reasonable for me to expect to be good!).

I am just getting mauled right now. I am accepting of the fact Akihiko has trouble getting in, that's not my big issue right now (if I can't overcome it, I'll just switch to Mitsuru's full screen normals :D). Right now I just feel like I'm in a vortex of suck and not getting better. My defense is a shambles and I feel it's a moral victory if I get my opponent to half health.

Watching some videos will help! Here's a recent display of a noteworthy Akihiko. Akihiko is all about reading what the opponent is going to do, so you need to be able to observe your opponent's habits and use your best options accordingly. Figure out some kill rush followup strings or weaves/ducks and when to use them. One of the things I like about this character is that all of his hooks, weaves, and ducks have some sort of use, and combined with his sweep, all-out-attack, furious action, and EX moves, you have a myriad of options at your disposal. It's all about how you use them. You can end a blockstring safely with a sweep, bait out an attack with a weave, crossup with EX duck... just try things out and see what they do and what order you can put them in using ducks and weaves.

On a much more fundamental level, QisTopTier dropped some advice dozens of pages ago which really helped my game: keep your eyes trained on your opponent's character instead of your own. For Akihiko, this advice proved especially useful. I would be fighting Elizabeth players and get so focused on my own character that I would get hit by Ziodyne over and over again from across the screen. But when I watched her, not only was I able to pick up on all of the little animation cues which told me what she was going to do next, but once I picked up some patterns I also subconsciously projected myself onto her as the role of the player -- as an Elizabeth playing the way I am, what is my next move? What habits do I resort to?

It's also a lot easier to look for patterns when you're looking for them and not sitting there reacting to them. :p But once you figure something out, a solid counter corkscrew can really shake things up in a match.

Fugu

On a much more fundamental level, QisTopTier dropped some advice dozens of pages ago which really helped my game: keep your eyes trained on your opponent's character instead of your own.
Do people actually look at themselves while playing fighting games? I don't even understand how it's physically possible to play like that. If any of you aren't already doing this, get on it.

Scratch

But once you figure something out, a solid counter corkscrew can really shake things up in a match.

i think you mean a solid blocked corkscrew :D

Do people actually look at themselves while playing fighting games? I don't even understand how it's physically possible to play like this. If any of you aren't already doing this, get on it.

but my character is so pretty and uguu~

Do people actually look at themselves while playing fighting games? I don't even understand how it's physically possible to play like this. If any of you aren't already doing this, get on it.

wee-bey-oh-shit.gif

Beckx

On a much more fundamental level, QisTopTier dropped some advice dozens of pages ago which really helped my game: keep your eyes trained on your opponent's character instead of your own.

Do people actually look at themselves while playing fighting games? I don't even understand how it's physically possible to play like that. If any of you aren't already doing this, get on it.

Well, I think I probably suffer from this. I think I'm mostly watching myself and peeking at them. Always reacting too late.

No tips are too basic to help those of us in super-scrub land. :)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Do people actually look at themselves while playing fighting games?

You'd be shocked. Lot's of people pick characters because they like the characters looks and shit. But in the end you shouldn't even be looking at your damn character that often.

Fugu

Well, I think I probably suffer from this. I think I'm mostly watching myself and peeking at them. Always reacting too late.

No tips are too basic to help those of us in super-scrub land. :)
If you look at yourself and not them, you'll never learn what their attack animations look like. What hope do you have of blocking anything if you don't even know what they're doing?

I only look at my character when I'm doing a combo I don't know well.

Onemic

I think I'm a huuuuuuge sufferer of this.

Beckx

If you look at yourself and not them, you'll never learn what their attack animations look like. What hope do you have of blocking anything if you don't even know what they're doing?

I only look at my character when I'm doing a combo I don't know well.

LOL and this is why people are getting pimped slapped by s.labs persona

It's not because of rational decision-making: "I think I will look at my character." It's more hair-on-fire, OH GOD WHAT'S HAPPENING, where am I, okay I'll move here, and here, OH GOD I'M DEAD. An unconscious habit. At least for me.

Not sure where all this came from, but I don't actually have any (real) problems with how Elizabeth is, even though she sucks compared to everyone else.

Just like in BB with Platinum, I recognize that my losses stem from me, not the character.

Yeah, I think I came off way too rash when I shouldn't have been, but it was just things that I've picked up even when you were playing on Plat in BB. Liz and Plat both capitalize on weird trap setups and oki, but you seem to do the gimmickiest one and only use that. Change it up, even if some are riskier. Like you said, Liz doesn't do a lot of damage, but I sure get scared once I get knocked down.

Fugu

Not sure where all this came from, but I don't actually have any (real) problems with how Elizabeth is, even though she sucks compared to everyone else.

Just like in BB with Platinum, I recognize that my losses stem from me, not the character.
I've said this before; it's really frustrating to watch you, in particular, lose, because it's always the same shit over and over again. You would win rounds -- nay, tournaments -- if you just stopped doing stuff on wakeup ONCE a round.

Going to go pick this up right now. This is your opportunity to beat me at an anime fighter.

EDIT: Meant to ask this before, how do people configure the controls for stick in this game? I've been doing BB type B whenever I play it:
Code:
A B C
D

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I've said this before; it's really frustrating to watch you, in particular, lose, because it's always the same shit over and over again. You would win rounds -- nay, tournaments -- if you just stopped doing stuff on wakeup ONCE a round.

Going to go pick this up right now. This is your opportunity to beat me at an anime fighter.

EDIT: Meant to ask this before, how do people configure the controls for stick in this game? I've been doing BB type B whenever I play it:
Code:
A B C
D

AC
BD

Works with the inputs of the game a whole lot smoother

Shito

Yeah, I suppose. However, having the buttons not in a sequential order would take a lot of getting used to for me.
Well...

Code:
A B C
D
... is not really a sequential order neither, so...
All in all, it just boils down to your preferences. I prefer the standard layout myself, because all the combinaisons with it "makes sense" -- it just needs getting used to.

Code:
A B C
D

I know, I know. I'll get less scrubby, one day, honest.

That's the layout I use, everyone thinks I'm crazy for it though.

zlatko

Banned
DAE feel that Yosuke is just too weak in this game?

His standard mid screen bnbs may not be god like, but if he gets a fatal counter he can do stupid amounts. Plus he's so damn fast that his mix ups can really mind fuck you and then the numbers add up. His ability to control the pace of match makes him damn strong in my book.

I just suck ass with him. :p

Fugu

It works. It does take some time to get used to it, but it definitely works.
What's the advantage of it? The only thing that I can see is that it arranges the double inputs in a less random manner, making using them easier.

I don't exactly have big hands (I have freakishly small hands) but the buttons seem too close together. Maybe I'll do it like GG with no S.

Well...

Code:
A B C
D
... is not really a sequential order neither, so...
All in all, it just boils down to your preferences. I prefer the standard layout myself, because all the combinaisons with it "makes sense" -- it just needs getting used to.
That's in a sequential order if you read it left to right then top to bottom. There's not really a way to read the other way sequentially. I don't really want to make an argument about efficiency or anything; I was legitimately just curious to know what people were using seeing as BB basically only had two stick layouts and they were almost identical.

Re: The looking at your opponent and not you thing

I...I'm not sure what I do, I never consciously pay attention to that. I just play.

AC
BD

Works with the inputs of the game a whole lot smoother

Yeah, it feels right for the game and I had no trouble at all with it even the first time it played.

What's the advantage of it? The only thing that I can see is that it arranges the double inputs in a less random manner, making using them easier.

I don't exactly have big hands (I have freakishly small hands) but the buttons seem too close together. Maybe I'll do it like GG with no S.

Isn't it pretty much the GG layout minus the Dust button?

It makes sense because it groups it by character and persona.

A and B for your character, C and D for the persona. As soon as you can sort it out, it all becomes clear.

The only one that makes sense for me other than original is the unique setup:

A C D
B

And that's ONLY because it's the original setup, except the D is moved for "easier" placement. I'd say try out the original and switch over if you don't like it.

Beckx

Finally got to start Akihiko's story this morning.

Why
did he go from a cool, tough, fashionable high school boxing champ into Ryu the World Warrior? Fighting cartel thugs in Colombia, WTF? Aki the Bullet Dodger?

I'm only halfway through P3 right now, so maybe it will all make sense after that? Maybe?

Shito

That's in a sequential order if you read it left to right then top to bottom. There's not really a way to read the other way sequentially.
Yeah, my point was more about the fact that "the sequential order" only depends on the way you see it.
If you still think about how to group character and persona attacks together...
Code:
A C D
B
...can be read "sequentially" as character's in a column, and persona's on a line.

Prototype-03 said:
It makes sense because it groups it by character and persona.
That's my opinion as well.
I don't think of buttons as A/B/C/D, but as "light char"/"strong char"/"light persona"/"strong persona".

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
His standard mid screen bnbs may not be god like, but if he gets a fatal counter he can do stupid amounts. Plus he's so damn fast that his mix ups can really mind fuck you and then the numbers add up. His ability to control the pace of match makes him damn strong in my book.

I just suck ass with him. :p

Yeah, I've experienced this first hand. Still, IMO he has a much higher learning curve than characters like Yu or Chie. I hope he gets a buff in a future patch, I would like to play him more.

Also, ArcSys/Atlus please nerf Elizabeth. :p

OceanBlue

Wow, an actual draw just happened. Not time out, but their Mitsuru and my Yukiko killed each other at the same time. That was amazing. o_O;

I'm always up for playing.
I had that happen when I was one game up, and I think it counted as their win. Am I just crazy?

Fugu

I might pop on and play for a bit if anyone wants to play some Amateur Hour games. I'm actually about to play a bunch of local casuals so I'm more just looking to warm up/remember how to play this game.

Regarding the control scheme, I switched because I found the one given to me (the AB/CD box) to be uncomfortable.

Probably not. Why should you win the match off a draw?
You win off of draws in BB as well. Draws work like this:

Round 1: Both players awarded a win (end result is 1-1)
Round 2: Player without a win is awarded a win (end result is 1-1)
Round 3: Nobody gets a win (end result is 1-1)

Onemic

I might pop on and play for a bit if anyone wants to play some Amateur Hour games. I'm actually about to play a bunch of local casuals so I'm more just looking to warm up/remember how to play this game.

Regarding the control scheme, I switched because I found the one given to me (the AB/CD box) to be uncomfortable.

You win off of draws in BB as well. Draws work like this:

Round 1: Both players awarded a win (end result is 1-1)
Round 2: Player without a win is awarded a win (end result is 1-1)
Round 3: Nobody gets a win (end result is 1-1)

So thats why there are round 4's in this game when you draw.

OceanBlue

I'm not sure I like the idea of giving the round at round 2, but draws are so rare and I'm sure I'll get used to it. Also, it seems I mix up game, round, and match all the time.

I might have remembered incorrectly too. It happened a little while ago and I played enough after that I forgot about it until draws were mentioned here.

Top Bottom