• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Infinite

That move takes away a bit of Mitsuru's lifebar every time it's used- if anyone is stupid enough to spam it like crazy, they're just going to make it even easier form them to lose. :p

Well it takes blue life with regenerates and the same goes for everyone's DP. Players on the verge of awakening will use a DP to get to that point sooner so their are cases when you want to take blue damage . Also since blue damage doesn't kill you players would probably be more liberal with their DPs.

Sophia

He's the main character and the game hasn't been out long. Of course everyone's gonna pick him. Most fighting games have people picking the main character the first few weeks until they get a feel for the game.

He's not only the main character, but he's a Ryu/Shotoclone too. Making him very easy to pick up and learn for people new to ASW fighting games.

PBalfredo

A bit of an aside, but does anyone know if the Persona 4 anime has an English dub yet? I've recently finished Persona 3 and wanna get a good feel for Persona 4's story and characters (beyond hiimdaisy comics) before P4A comes out.

kewlmyc

A bit of an aside, but does anyone know if the Persona 4 anime has an English dub yet? I've recently finished Persona 3 and wanna get a good feel for Persona 4's story and characters (beyond hiimdaisy comics) before P4A comes out.
The dub won't be out till the fall. Just watch it subbed on Hulu.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

According to the rightstuf page, there will be an English spoken track.

How true this is, I am not sure; and if it is, it might not even be the original cast. There was some confusion a while back where Sentai said that the original cast was coming back to fill their roles for the anime, but most of them were surprised to hear that saying they didn't hear anything from Sentai about doing work for the anime.

http://www.animevice.com/news/questions-swirl-around-persona-4-the-animation-dub-updated/5978/

Other than that, I haven't heard anything.

He's the main character and the game hasn't been out long. Of course everyone's gonna pick him. Most fighting games have people picking the main character the first few weeks until they get a feel for the game.

God I hated the SF4 ryu army (Still going strong btw) At least the kens were good for the lols, but the scrub ryus trying to take it serious after so many years doing the same thing is annoying.

So who is the scrub Yu killer option?

NichM

Banned
Teddie's Persona projectiles come out in a random pattern, but they still really help with zoning or getting certain set-ups off for big damage.

IIRC, there's a set order to Teddie's item toss move, it's not random. It just cycles through about 17 different things.

LProtag

IIRC, there's a set order to Teddie's item toss move, it's not random. It just cycles through about 17 different things.

Yeah. I think the cycle doesn't reset between rounds either, so you've got to keep track of that if you want to use them as effectively as possible.

So do you get the feeling there are enough characters? I have this thing where small casts for fighting games really bothers me. I mean, im getting this because it's Persona/Atlus, but I passed on Blaz because of the small roster. Feels like they should have used more P3 characters.

Ken

How do you "rest" your fingers in four button fighters? I'm used to stuff like Marvel where I have my thumb on S and the other fingers sans pinky on ABC. Would I use my thumb to hit B and D in this game? @_@

Kuugrr

How do you "rest" your fingers in four button fighters? I'm used to stuff like Marvel where I have my thumb on S and the other fingers sans pinky on ABC. Would I use my thumb to hit B and D in this game? @_@

I've been kinda wondering about this too.

I think I'm gonna just see how moving two fingers back and forth between AB and CD feels at first and go from there.

Edit: I guess you could also just remap the buttons into the BB / Marvel layout. Hitting the different button combinations doesn't feel too awkward. Don't have the game though, just my stick.

OceanBlue

For KOF13, which uses the same box layout, I use my index and my middle finger for the top two buttons and my thumb on the bottom-left button. So it's similar to how you with Marvel except without the C button. I just use my middle finger for C and D. It's not too bad.

Got to play a few matches at a friend's place. I'm not sure I fully understand the system but I'm leaning towards Akihiko.

...I'm a sucker for boxers AND rekka-type inputs, what can I say.

Infinite

I'm gonna to set my buttons to the neogeo layout

neowirelessr1.jpg

My thumb is resting on a, index on b, middle on c and ring on d.

Trigger

So do you get the feeling there are enough characters? I have this thing where small casts for fighting games really bothers me. I mean, im getting this because it's Persona/Atlus, but I passed on Blaz because of the small roster. Feels like they should have used more P3 characters.

Same here. I'd like Junpei or Yukari added as DLC characters.

cj_iwakura

It's a brand new fighting game with hand-drawn sprites. Considering that, the roster is rather impressive, I think. No brand new fighting game is going to have a 20-30+ roster, and it'd be overwhelming if it did.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like alot of fun, but seems like alot of work to get the kill that way. Could be fun experimenting with ways to get the counter down while comboing into the IK

The hardest thing about getting the kill off of Fate Counter is having the enemy not die before you get it to zero.

It's a cool gimmick but I'm glad Naoto isn't designed entirely around that mechanic. She does good damage without it.

I'm watching a stream with Chie vs Narukami right now and once one character gets there corner pressure started on the other, the guy getting pressured normally loses half there life before making the right guess and escaping. Does every character have ridiculous mix ups with their Persona or do some characters specialize in this more so than others?

Also the button config is something I'm going to have to get use to. Anything that doesn't use the standard 6 buttong SF lay out kind of fries my mind.

Snakeyes

I'm watching a stream with Chie vs Narukami right now and once one character gets there corner pressure started on the other, the guy getting pressured normally loses half there life before making the right guess and escaping the corner. Does every character have ridiculous mix ups with their Persona or do some characters specialize in this more so than others?

All characters are very Persona dependent but Yu's whole game revolves around setting up Izanagi and pressuring the opponent. That's probably why you're seeing this particular aspect of the game so much.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
It's a brand new fighting game with hand-drawn sprites. Considering that, the roster is rather impressive, I think. No brand new fighting game is going to have a 20-30+ roster, and it'd be overwhelming if it did.

I don't think I'm alone when I say that I'm in favor of a smaller overall roster with all unique characters over a huge roster with 2 dozen characters who have little separating them in terms of diversity.

Anything past twenty for a new 2D sprite based IP is nuts and a big waste of potential new characters for a sequel. I like the fact that ASW and Reverge have not fallen into the trap of bloated initial rosters. It stresses the budget and it makes it much harder to be attentive of each character's needs. I look at games like KOF XII that use expensive sprite production and the mess they ran into while trying to play it big. KOF could have easily disappeared for a decade if XII had been any worse for them. BlazBlue probably would have never sold much more than it did even if CT had Extend's roster. It's just not worth it for the little guys to get involved in a character arms race with companies that can put out fighters with a 50 character roster.
Also the button config is something I'm going to have to get use to. Anything that doesn't use the standard 6 buttong SF lay out kind of fries my mind.
Never played anything outside of Street Fighter? It clicks pretty fast.

BlackJace

Kinda random, but Persona 4 The Animation on remastered bluray is available for preorder on Amazon. It's coming this September I believe.

Never played anything outside of Street Fighter? It clicks pretty fast.

No, I've played tons of non-SF games. I grew up playing just about every big fighting franchise, but none of them ever stuck to me like SF series has. Basically it's very ingrained in me, been that way since World Warrior in 1992. Besides that I've played nothing but SF4(a shit ton I must add) for the past 3 years so it's even more ingrained in me.

I really like the look of Persona and hearing all the good things about it makes me really want to try it so I'm pretty sure I will get it. I really hope I like it though because I would like to have something else to play but it just hasn't happened yet.

Nyoro SF

I don't think I'm alone when I say that I'm in favor of a smaller overall roster with all unique characters over a huge roster with 2 dozen characters who have little separating them in terms of diversity.

Yes, this is what I think too.

Games with huge rosters have too many matchup-specific things to remember. I'd rather have a stronger, shorter roster.

alstein

Much depends on the value/originality behind the characters: to me, one Persona char is worth 2-3 SF or KOF characters.

The Blazblue cast, I never really got into it- only character designs that appealed to me were Tsubaki and Hakumen, and the emphasis on long combos just annoyed me. Persona really appeals to me because the combos are shorter.

One of the things that worries me about TTT2 is that the game has too many characters. I didn't have that worry about KOF, but I think that's because Tekken has more complex character knowledge required.

Takuan

I see this as a test product. If it's viable, you can be sure that Arena will be getting revisions similar to BlazBlue. The small cast is part of the reason I'm going to wait for the game to drop at least to $40, as I'm really only interested in 2 of the characters and not so much the story.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
P4A could use a few more characters, but there tend to be way, way, way too many fucking characters in fighting games these days so I'm happy the cast is relatively small.

Even though the cast is small, there are more characters in this game that make me go "holy shit they look fun, I should try them" than any other game that's come out in the past few years.

cj_iwakura

As Persona 4 goes, it's really about as comprehensive as you can get, shy of including maybe (P4 ending)
Adachi or Izanami(!!!).

There's more potential for P3 and 1&2 of course, but they wouldn't have much if any investment in the plot, and Junpei uses the same weapon as Yu along with Mitsuru's element.
Shinji uses an axe like Labrys, too.

Yukari, P3F(naginata!), and Koromaru(ha) would be interesting adds, but that's about it.

Shito

ugh, I can't use charge characters for the life of me. Their play style in general seems a lot more defensive/wait and see than I'd like. But watching Mitsuru videos she doesn't really seem that way. I'll probably still give her a try, I'm still bummed shes a charger though.
Coming from a good lot of SF4 Vanilla's Chun-Li, I can tell you Mitsuru is a veeeery easy charge character to pick-up. The charging time is really short, she only has two specials that require charging (her supers are regular qcfx2 / qcbx2), and she is a true rushdown and mix-up character. Basically, her charging moves are nearly only used in combos, so this is just something you need to learn, like a regular combo -- ie: where in the combo should you begin charging.

[EDIT]
You can also be smart and use the lenient buffer to your advantage, for example if you want to end one of her bnb with a super, instead of doing 5A,5A,5B,4C,charge 4, 6A,qcfqcfA, you'be better be doing 5A,5A,5B,4C,charge 4,qcfA,qcfA.
Love my time in training mode with her, so far.
[/EDIT]

No, I've played tons of non-SF games. I grew up playing just about every big fighting franchise, but none of them ever stuck to me like SF series has. Basically it's very ingrained in me, been that way since World Warrior in 1992. Besides that I've played nothing but SF4(a shit ton I must add) for the past 3 years so it's even more ingrained in me.
If you're using the default buttons configuration, prepare yourself to be VERY confused by throws being the SF equivalent of MP+MK.
I know I am. For me, it's easily the hardest reflex to erase from SF.

Stark

Banned

Definitely. It's also not as overwhelming and feels more personal in a way.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

The game has been out in Japanese arcades since what...March? I'm not seeing much variety online and can't think of any other fighting game where I have literally never played against the entire roster after owning it for five days. Even crazier when the roster is on the smaller side. Never mind that P4 Arena's simple command inputs and relatively-small move lists make it easy to pick up anybody. This is not a complex fighting game in that regard.

Well it takes blue life with regenerates and the same goes for everyone's DP. Players on the verge of awakening will use a DP to get to that point sooner so their are cases when you want to take blue damage . Also since blue damage doesn't kill you players would probably be more liberal with their DPs.

The way it comes out and the way it takes away life does not make it an attack that's gonna be spammed. Again, anyone dumb enough to try spamming it like flowchart Kens is gonna go down quick. It's not going to work. If there's any "flowchart" character I've seen, it's definitely Yu.

God I hated the SF4 ryu army (Still going strong btw) At least the kens were good for the lols, but the scrub ryus trying to take it serious after so many years doing the same thing is annoying.

So who is the scrub Yu killer option?

Anyone, really- from my experience, playing like a scrub means spamming the autocombos and nothing else. It's easy to block, jump, or dash through the mash and retaliate. They also throw in a DP or fireball, but nothing comes out fast enough to be spammed and missed DPs really leave Yu wide open.

I would have liked to have seen more characters, yeah, but if you felt that way about BB you'll feel the same way about P4 Arena. The cast is on the smaller side, but almost everyone feels pretty different from each other. Labrys and Shadow Labrys being the obvious exception. This game's roster size is typical Arc.

As Persona 4 goes, it's really about as comprehensive as you can get, shy of including maybe (P4 ending)
Adachi or Izanami(!!!).

There's more potential for P3 and 1&2 of course, but they wouldn't have much if any investment in the plot, and Junpei uses the same weapon as Yu along with Mitsuru's element.
Shinji uses an axe like Labrys, too.

Yukari, P3F(naginata!), and Koromaru(ha) would be interesting adds, but that's about it.

You mean Yukiko's =)

And I would personally love Junpei in the game; one of my favorite characters in the series. You could have him be more of a brawler with his persona, instead of using the fire moves. Maybe having the persona do strong and slow attacks that cause wall or ground bounces etc.

And Yukari could be fun, but she would essentially play just like Yukiko with the keep away, right? Maybe more emphasis on keep away because of the bow nt being ideal for close up combos.

But I digress and tend to agree with most people here that the smaller and unique roster adds more charm to the game. Its what drew me into Blazblue and makes it easier to fall in love with a character and their style (Squirrel Girl for life).

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I feel like I should know this, but does this game have an online spectator mode?

If you mean spectating while waiting your turn in player match rooms, then yes. The lobby system is similar to BlazBlue and Arcana Heart 3, including being able to set up a number of filters when creating a room.

Top Bottom