• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Infinite

Anyone, really- from my experience, playing like a scrub means spamming the autocombos and nothing else. It's easy to block, jump, or dash through the mash and retaliate. They also throw in a DP or fireball, but nothing comes out fast enough to be spammed and missed DPs really leave Yu wide open.

I'm not saying people wont get punish for using them recklessly since they aren't safe at all I just posed that there are ways to use blue life damage intelligently.

Also every character will have a "flowchart" once we break this game down into a science. A "scrub flowchart" is entirely different thing.

Rarutos

Oh yeah. Well, Yuki's element then. :p

Haha, I doubt duplicate elements really matter in this, to be honest. I mean... Yu, Kanji, and Akihiko all use electricity. Though it is strange that Teddie didn't get any ice abilities (except for his sequenced projectiles).

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Also every character will have a "flowchart" once we break this game down into a science. A "scrub flowchart" is entirely different thing.

Right...and that "flowchart" is to mash the light attack button with anyone and do nothing else. I've already seen it plenty of times online against Japanese players, lol. In ranked there are people as high as C that have been doing that.

Jeels

A bit of an aside, but does anyone know if the Persona 4 anime has an English dub yet? I've recently finished Persona 3 and wanna get a good feel for Persona 4's story and characters (beyond hiimdaisy comics) before P4A comes out.

http://inside.anime-expo.org/anime-manga/2012-06/section23-film-announces-september-slate/

Title: PERSONA 4 COLLECTION 1 BLU-RAY
Published by: Sentai Filmworks
Distributed by: Section23 Films
Run Time: 300 min.
Street Date: 9/18/2012
Format: BD
Language: English & Japanese with English Subtitles
SRP: $69.98
SYNOPSIS: When Yu Narukami moves to the country town of Inaba to stay with his uncle and cousin, he’s expecting a lot more peace and quiet than he’s been used to in the big city. What he isn’t expecting is for his uncle’s job as a police detective to spill over into his own life. Or for the murders that are occurring across town to be somehow linked to Yu’s own strange experiences, odd local weather patterns and a mysterious TV show world that seems to be attempting to get Yu to enter it! Now, together with a new group of friends, Yu must plunge into a bizarre alternate reality where he gains unique abilities that will either help him solve the riddle of the mystery killer, or lead him to his doom. Journey into the Velvet Room and beyond as the hit PlayStation 2® game becomes a spectacular anime in PERSONA 4 Collection 1!

Looks like it only includes the first 13 episodes, which is really lame considering the price. Nice box art though:
Persona-4-Blu-Ray-SFB-PS100-232x300.jpg

In the original SNES version of Shin Megami Tensei, it was an error that popped up if you reset the game too much or triggered the anti-piracy warning. The message basically says "TURN OFF IMMEDIATELY."

The same message is being repeated in the screenshot, hilariously. XD

Hold on, didn't somebody recently disprove that rumor about the SFC version of SMT1 having that Reset Easter Egg? I could have sworn that I read it here on GAF in fact.

That it's making an appearance in this game, spin-off of a spin-off it may be, is pretty funny. Persona games always deal in matters relating to rumors, huh?

cj_iwakura

Hold on, didn't somebody recently disprove that rumor about the SFC version of SMT1 having that Reset Easter Egg? I could have sworn that I read it here on GAF in fact.

That it's making an appearance in this game, spin-off of a spin-off it may be, is pretty funny. Persona games always deal in matters relating to rumors, huh?

Gideon Zhi claims to have disproved it in the comments of the one I uploaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhfZVd9N9ww

I can't find any evidence that this occurs in the game's code. Point against: the game modifies its reset vector after the ATLUS screen disappears, so it boots/resets to the Star of David logo instead. It also seems to hold said reset vector modification for a good 45 seconds after power-down, which makes rapid-fire resetting to the ATLUS screen like this impossible. I'm calling bogus.

It *does* write "programmed by cozy!" in ascii into RAM at 7EFFE0 though! Sneaky, Okada, sneaky!

Geneijin

I'm not saying people wont get punish for using them recklessly since they aren't safe at all I just posed that there are ways to use blue life damage intelligently.
Some characters are more viable using it "intelligently" than others though. It'll be a pain when it's discovered in America :(

I would have liked to have seen more characters, yeah, but if you felt that way about BB you'll feel the same way about P4 Arena. The cast is on the smaller side, but almost everyone feels pretty different from each other. Labrys and Shadow Labrys being the obvious exception. This game's roster size is typical Arc.

Oh, I'm still getting the game (because it's Persona). I was just noting how smaller casts tend to disappoint me in fighting games. Thanks for the input, appreciate it.

The only characters I wanted extra in P4A would be the typical Yukari, and Junpei. But after that I would really want
Chidori
and the rest of the antagonist from P3.

Onemic

Oh, I'm still getting the game (because it's Persona). I was just noting how smaller casts tend to disappoint me in fighting games. Thanks for the input, appreciate it.

At least for me, despite the smaller cast of characters, there are more characters I'm interesting in playing as for this game than in most fighters that have large 30+ rosters.

The only characters I wanted extra in P4A would be the typical Yukari, and Junpei. But after that I would really want
Chidori
and the rest of the antagonist from P3.

I'll forgive you for leaving out Koromaru. This time.

At least for me, despite the smaller cast of characters, there are more characters I'm interesting in playing as for this game than in most fighters that have large 30+ rosters.

Mmm. Perhaps my problem is being more of a fan of P3 than P4 (though I loved P4). Anyways, I'm just rambling. I'm sure there will be updates/dlc.

gosox333

JYB voicing both Yu and Adachi is going to feel/sound so weird.

Seriously. I watched a video of somebody playing through the story, and he doesn't even try to sound different from Adachi. It's ridiculous.

The dubs gonna be crazy annoying because of that.

Sophia

Still updating the first post cj_iwakura? Could you add me? Looks like I got missed over last time. D:

Marrshu - PS3 - Marrshu - Yu/Aigis

Tamanon

Banned
Seriously. I watched a video of somebody playing through the story, and he doesn't even try to sound different from Adachi. It's ridiculous.

The dubs gonna be crazy annoying because of that.

Huh? Yu barely said anything beyond Persona names in story and that was done in his Ichigo voice. Adachi was like student Lelouch.

Let's see how he handles something like the King's Game scene though!

cj_iwakura

Still updating the first post cj_iwakura? Could you add me? Looks like I got missed over last time. D:

Marrshu - PS3 - Marrshu - Yu/Aigis

Yep, everyone should be good, also divided up by PS3 and XBL now.

Let me know if anyone's not up.

Also made use of this awesomeness:

TG9kv.gif

kewlmyc

http://inside.anime-expo.org/anime-manga/2012-06/section23-film-announces-september-slate/

Meh, Sentai always overcharges for their releases. However Amazon always offers anime much cheaper than their SRP price. I'd get it there.

Actually, I'd wait till it came out since it's rumored that the dub cast might be different than the games. Plus Sentai isn't known for have the best dubs.

SYNOPSIS: When Yu Narukami moves to the country town of Inaba to stay with his uncle and cousin, he’s expecting a lot more peace and quiet than he’s been used to in the big city. What he isn’t expecting is for his uncle’s job as a police detective to spill over into his own life. Or for the murders that are occurring across town to be somehow linked to Yu’s own strange experiences, odd local weather patterns and a mysterious TV show world that seems to be attempting to get Yu to enter it! Now, together with a new group of friends, Yu must plunge into a bizarre alternate reality where he gains unique abilities that will either help him solve the riddle of the mystery killer, or lead him to his doom. Journey into the Velvet Room and beyond as the hit PlayStation 2® game becomes a spectacular anime in PERSONA 4 Collection 1!

Looks like it only includes the first 13 episodes, which is really lame considering the price. Nice box art though:
Persona-4-Blu-Ray-SFB-PS100-232x300.jpg

What the fuck? I hate you, Sentai.

Only thing we know about the dub is that Erin is going to reprise her role as Chie. I'll wait on this too.

I want to get this game because I like Arc System Works fighters, but I haven't played Person 4 yet. I am planning on getting P4 Golden once it comes out in October.

Should I avoid Arena if I don't want P4 spoiled?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm gonna to set my buttons to the neogeo layout

My thumb is resting on a, index on b, middle on c and ring on d.

Im so tempted to set my button layout in game like that since its possible with the stick I got, but then will get so damned confused when practicing in challenge mode lol
But it feels more natural than trying to use 4 in the cramped space. I think this stems waaaaaaaaaay back from when I used to play KOF 98 nonstop in the arcades with the 4 button horizontal layout.

I want to get this game because I like Arc System Works fighters, but I haven't played Person 4 yet. I am planning on getting P4 Golden though.

Should I avoid Arena if I don't want P4 spoiled?

Just stay away from the story mode. Arcade mode should be ok for the most part. Just skip anything if you really feel worried. But overall there isnt really a story mode in arcade mode anyways

Darkman M

Wow the PS3 tag list dwarfs the 360 tag list, any reason why? I have both consoles was gonna go with the 360 version being i have a stick for the 360. Should i go PS3 for a Pacific reason?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Wow the PS3 tag list dwarfs the 360 tag list, any reason why? I have both consoles was gonna go with the 360 version being i have a stick for the 360. Should i go PS3 for a Pacific reason?

I think its just by chance. Others later in the thread not in the list seem to be on the fence or swayed by the fact that the 360 currently is having some lag / connectivity issues which are being looked into by ArcSys.

I was in a similar category to you as I got the Hori Real Arcade Pro EX SE for the 360, but went and bought a PS3 stick anyways. So far no issues Ive seen with the PS3 version.

All my sticks and pads are for 360 and I know ASW will take care of the netcode issue. I just feel bad that the PS3 users won't get to experience the black snow beatdowns from my Yukiko or the brunt of Labrys's ax under my control.

Some day guys!

Darkman M

I think its just by chance. Others later in the thread not in the list seem to be on the fence or swayed by the fact that the 360 currently is having some lag / connectivity issues which are being looked into by ArcSys.

I was in a similar category to you as I got the Hori Real Arcade Pro EX SE for the 360, but went and bought a PS3 stick anyways. So far no issues Ive seen with the PS3 version.

Damn hopefully they get it fixed, otherwise ill have to buy a stick for PS3, can't see myself playing on pad.

Top Bottom