• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Jeels

Meh, Sentai always overcharges for their releases. However Amazon always offers anime much cheaper than their SRP price. I'd get it there.

Actually, I'd wait till it came out since it's rumored that the dub cast might be different than the games. Plus Sentai isn't known for have the best dubs.

Ya just preordered off of Amazon for less than $50.

Man, the more I look into this game the more I get excited. I think I have looked over every character in the cast and expressed interest in playing them aside from Yu and Shadow Labrys. The more I see of Yosuke, the more I want t play as him too!

Just gonna main 10 characters, I suppose

I'm on the fence about which version to get as well. I thought 360 at first just because I assume that's where everybody would be at. But if PS3 is the tourney standard for this game(PS2/PS3 always seemed like the console of choice for anime games) and it's actually where most people are going then I guess I should get that version instead. If I like the game I'll end up getting both versions anyways, but I'm still unsure right now about which version to start with.

I'm starting to think Yukiko's more my style than Akihiko. Gonna be tough to pick a second.

Join the Amagi Army today, punk!

images

Where the Omelets are fucking delicious!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm on the fence about which version to get as well. I thought 360 at first just because I assume that's where everybody would be at. But if PS3 is the tourney standard for this game(PS2/PS3 always seemed like the console of choice for anime games) and it's actually where most people are going then I guess I should get that version instead. If I like the game I'll end up getting both versions anyways, but I'm still unsure right now about which version to start with.

PS3 always feels like the standard for Arc's games. Way more people online and the net code is good enough to play people overseas. I tend to get fighters on every platform they come out on, but don't think I'm double-dipping on this game unless a Vita version comes out- only got the last BB on PS3/Vita too.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
PS3 always feels like the standard for Arc's games. Way more people online and the net code is good enough to play people overseas. I tend to get fighters on every platform they come out on, but don't think I'm double-dipping on this game unless a Vita version comes out- only got the last BB on PS3/Vita too.

I still need to figure out what time you are usually online so we can get in some matches together. (Will put up a slightly better fight than the training dummy) lol

Kuugrr

Oh, totally forgot to add my online information.

Kuugrr - PS3 - infamouscobra - Naoto / Akihiko

I usually get the 360 version of most fighters, but I'm a little worried about how quickly the issues people are reportedly experiencing online will be fixed. I might double-dip later to play with other friends if they get it on there.

Parakeetman

The poor bastards at ArcSys must be burning the midnight oil to get the 360 patch all straightened out before the US release.

Onemic

I think its just by chance. Others later in the thread not in the list seem to be on the fence or swayed by the fact that the 360 currently is having some lag / connectivity issues which are being looked into by ArcSys.

I was in a similar category to you as I got the Hori Real Arcade Pro EX SE for the 360, but went and bought a PS3 stick anyways. So far no issues Ive seen with the PS3 version.

I think a big part of the reason is that Persona/JRPG fans that would gravitate towards this type of game(anime fighter fans really) are a lot more abundant on the PS3 than on the 360.

Kuugrr

The poor bastards at ArcSys must be burning the midnight oil to get the 360 patch all straightened out before the US release.

Yeah, probably. I heard they sorted out similar issues with the 360 version of BBCT relatively soon after release. It'll probably not be a big deal in the long run, I suppose.

Rarutos

What are they? Please don't tell me they involve beating Score Attack.

Well, I've just gathered from forum posts on Mayonaka Midnight and GFAQs that you unlock
Teddie with 100% Story, and finish all of one character's challenges for Mitsuru. For the rest, it's either more challenges or Score Attack. Though beating Arcade Mode for the first time seems to unlock the ability to turn off the Navigator completely.

Though, it seems like the Navigator unlocks are connected to trophies, going from how to unlock Mitsuru and Teddie.

This is just second-hand information of course.

Astral

Well, I've just gathered from forum posts on Mayonaka Midnight and GFAQs that you unlock
Teddie with 100% Story, and finish all of one character's challenges for Mitsuru. For the rest, it's either more challenges or Score Attack. Though beating Arcade Mode for the first time seems to unlock the ability to turn off the Navigator completely.

Though, it seems like the Navigator unlocks are connected to trophies, going from how to unlock Mitsuru and Teddie.

Well fuck me. In that case I hope Fuuka's unlocked through Challenge Mode. Score Attack sounds way too brutal.

Rarutos

Well fuck me. In that case I hope Fuuka's unlocked through Challenge Mode. Score Attack sounds way too brutal.

Indeed, it sounds more like EXTEND's Unlimited Mars mode from what I've read. Might have to buy the ones connected to Score Attack in that case. :(

Indeed, it sounds more like EXTEND's Unlimited Mars mode from what I've read. Might have to buy the ones connected to Score Attack in that case. :(

Actually, more like the original BB Score Attacks. Extend's was nerfed to hell (because of Unlimited Mars I assume, and that's fucking hell).

Astral

I only ever beat Tao in Unlimited Mars after a million tries. Have Japanese players even beaten Score Attack? Every video I watch have them dying against Elizabeth.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

This is just second-hand information of course.

I'm just gonna pay

Well I guess I'll see how tedious all that stuff is when I get my hands on the game first

Parakeetman

Wait...this game has characters locked?

Yes only for story mode.

*Not really a spoiler but figured Id mark it anyways.
Though there is actual incentive to play through with everyone.

Arcade / Versus everyone avail. from the get go.

Parakeetman

I'm actually a little worried about Aigis becoming dominant. Mitsuru doesn't seem nearly as scary.

Shes quite hard to use though so at least it will scare away button mashers. lol Esp with how her persona seems to be the type which requires timing / setup sort but not exactly like Shadow Labrys.

Im more concerned about Elizabeth...

*Not really a spoiler but figured Id mark it anyways.
Though there is actual incentive to play through with everyone.
I'd imagine the reasoning is [really minor spoilers anyone who played Blazblue already knows]
the "actual ending" chapter requiring you to get the good ending in every other chapter, a la Blazblue.

Astral

I'd imagine the reasoning is [really minor spoilers anyone who played Blazblue already knows]
the "actual ending" chapter requiring you to get the good ending in every other chapter, a la Blazblue.

I read that that's not the case.
There is no "True Ending." Every character's story ends in a cliffhanger. After a certain point in your overall story mode progression you're able to continue from that cliffhanger with that character.
Something like that.

Yuripaw

Banned
I read that that's not the case.
There is no "True Ending." Every character's story ends in a cliffhanger. After a certain point in your overall story mode progression you're able to continue from that cliffhanger with that character.
Something like that.

Wait...so if this is the case...
What does this mean I wonder?? If every character's story ends on a cliffhanger, do people think we'll have more Persona 4 goodness in store for us?

Persona 4: Investigation Team REGROUP!

lol yes please

Parakeetman

I just want a proper Persona RPG with Labrys as an actual character in it. Do love her character thats why. Seems like she would make for some interesting content material for another Persona game.

One thing that I really appreciate about the fighting game is the fact that the Story Mode isnt just some cheap cash in and you can totally tell that they took time to get it right and do the series justice for the fans.

cj_iwakura

I just want a proper Persona RPG with Labrys as an actual character in it. Do love her character thats why. Seems like she would make for some interesting content material for another Persona game.

One thing that I really appreciate about the fighting game is the fact that the Story Mode isnt just some cheap cash in and you can totally tell that they took time to get it right and do the series justice for the fans.

I don't think you have to worry. Atlus don't develop stories lightly.

I bet a lot of this is groundwork for Persona 5.

Parakeetman

I don't think you have to worry. Atlus don't develop stories lightly.

I bet a lot of this is groundwork for Persona 5.

Do hope so, since this means we will have to wait another year for P5. Since its interesting that they always seem to release the game in Japan around July.

Btw check your IB.

Yuripaw

Banned

I don't mean to start a debate, and I know this post is probably gonna get some hate, but I don't know I would want that. I don't know much about Labrys, and while I never really had anything wrong with Aigis as a character. In fact she may be one of the few characters I did like in Persona 3. However, the fact that they're robots is something that still doesn't sit well with me in this universe.

Sure, we got people summoning crazy demons with their mind, and we're fighting creepy monsters. Besides this, in Persona 4, the game is recognizable as taking place in modern times. Just so happens there's some weird freaking shit going on, but other than that, it looks like our world. Persona 3 didn't sit well with me, because it kinda looked like it took place in modern world also, but then we have fucking sentient robots, and crazy gadgets that don't really exist. It threw me off, and didn't mesh with the rest of the universe I felt.

I have nothing against Labrys and Aigis as characters, but their existence in this universe is still something I personally am not crazy about. Again, this comes from someone who never really liked Persona 3, and loves Persona 4.

Parakeetman

I don't mean to start a debate, and I know this post is probably gonna get some hate, but I don't know I would want that. I don't know much about Labrys, and while I never really had anything wrong with Aigis as a character. In fact she may be one of the few characters I did like in Persona 3. However, the fact that they're robots is something that still doesn't sit well with me in this universe.

Sure, we got people summoning crazy demons with their mind, and we're fighting creepy monsters. Besides this, in Persona 4, the game is recognizable as taking place in modern times. Just so happens there's some weird freaking shit going on, but other than that, it looks like our world. Persona 3 didn't sit well with me, because it kinda looked like it took place in modern world also, but then we have fucking sentient robots, and crazy gadgets that don't really exist. It threw me off, and didn't mesh with the rest of the universe I felt.

I have nothing against Labrys and Aigis as characters, but their existence in this universe is still something I personally am not crazy about. Again, this comes from someone who never really liked Persona 3, and loves Persona 4.

She was introduced in a sound novel for P3 originally. Guess the team has been sitting on the character for a while and saw it as this is a way to introduce her to the series visually.

Getting into spoiler territory here
Labrys character seems actually more complex personality wise than Aigis which is interesting considering that Labrys is an older model. And its due to her personality / backstory that you are able to see come out in the game is what makes her such an interesting character.

Overall its a game so I really dont care about the setting, since in truth all of the Persona games are unrealistic seeing how everyone while being normal students can suddenly use weapons like they are experts. (though some fit depending on the character) Esp the first 2 persona games which contained firearms. That alone should break the whole view of the world and setting itself.

Astral

Wait...so if this is the case...
What does this mean I wonder?? If every character's story ends on a cliffhanger, do people think we'll have more Persona 4 goodness in store for us?

Persona 4: Investigation Team REGROUP!

lol yes please

You didn't finish reading lol.
You'll eventually continue from that cliffhanger and complete their story. I think it's after you progress through other characters' stories.

Top Bottom