• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Fugu

Everyone's better with mitsuru after using her even once :p

Proto and Me bet you would jump to her either at the start or shortly after :lol
You're not the only ones.

I'm sticking with Yukiko, at least tentatively. Mitsuru is easy to start with because she's just straight up poorly designed.

The balance in this game is difficult to locate, and I'm growing less convinced that it's there.

At the risk of sounding obvious, Labrys has an... interesting accent.

From experience playing this game, I'm definitely going to like Teddie and Kanji... even though I never played the RPG before.

alstein

You're not the only ones.

I'm sticking with Yukiko, at least tentatively. Mitsuru is easy to start with because she's just straight up poorly designed.

The balance in this game is difficult to locate, and I'm growing less convinced that it's there.

It usually takes Arc a couple of tries to get the balance acceptable. I kinda agree that this game has issues right now with balance, but most 2d fighters do.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It usually takes Arc a couple of tries to get the balance acceptable. I kinda agree that this game has issues right now with balance, but most 2d fighters do.

This is already the first balance patch for the game. This isn't vanilla. Liz and S.Lab got added in later with a balance patch. It's what nerfed chie and brought up mitsu

Yuripaw

Banned
Could I get an invite too? My psn name is Ockman. Gonna log in, in just a moment. Free wins for everyone else if you invite me too.

Fugu

This is already the first balance patch for the game. This isn't vanilla. Liz and S.Lab got added in later with a balance patch. It's what nerfed chie and brought up mitsu
The balance feels like CT, though. Some of the decisions just confuse me so much. Mitsuru's DP and Aigis' 2B, for example, strike me as just impossibly game-changing (Mitsuru's DP due to its damage, wide arc, and small negative frames; Aigis' 2B due to its reach and the fact that you can combo off of it). Like BB, the large character variance means that it's just really unlikely that they're going to have it balanced by the first revision, particularly when you consider that one of the characters added later is basically immune to projectiles.

However, I don't want to get too committed to my statements, because as I mentioned in my previous post, I'm not very good at this game and until I am I don't feel it's particularly a good idea for me to comment extensively on it. My perspective on it will probably change once I get enough control over my character to stop losing to the stuff I'm losing to now.

Also, sticking with Yukiko. My biggest problem with her right now is that I often can't reconcile the fact that fans have a lot of recovery making them a lot harder to use than they appear.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You want to play Fugu?

Oh and trust me I fully agree that mitsu's dp and aigis 2b are stupid as hell. Mitsu's ice super shouldn't be air unblockable either

Fugu

You want to play Fugu?

Oh and trust me I fully agree that mitsu's dp and aigis 2b are stupid as hell. Mitsu's ice super shouldn't be air unblockable either
Nah, I'm not going to make any headway on S.Lab until I read more about her. I doubt it's as bad as people in the west say it is, but it's definitely pretty bad.

Onemic

The balance feels like CT, though. Some of the decisions just confuse me so much. Mitsuru's DP and Aigis' 2B, for example, strike me as just impossibly game-changing (Mitsuru's DP due to its damage, wide arc, and small negative frames; Aigis' 2B due to its reach and the fact that you can combo off of it). Like BB, the large character variance means that it's just really unlikely that they're going to have it balanced by the first revision, particularly when you consider that one of the characters added later is basically immune to projectiles.

However, I don't want to get too committed to my statements, because as I mentioned in my previous post, I'm not very good at this game and until I am I don't feel it's particularly a good idea for me to comment extensively on it. My perspective on it will probably change once I get enough control over my character to stop losing to the stuff I'm losing to now.

Also, sticking with Yukiko. My biggest problem with her right now is that I often can't reconcile the fact that fans have a lot of recovery making them a lot harder to use than they appear.

A blocked DP is pretty much a guaranteed full punish.

I don't think I'll be able to play again until wednesday as usual. Could someone check the Yosuke leaderboards on 360? I'm curious to see what the highest is >.>

A blocked DP is pretty much a guaranteed full punish.

*goes for the fatal counter*

*NOPE Bufudyne'd*

Scratch

I thought only Yu could do that? Must abuse this now.

yu, kanji (?), mitsuru, aigis, yin yang labrys, aki can all do it.

based on how chie, teddie, yukiko, brosuke, and liz's R-actions work, i don't think it works for them.

Nah man cancel it into your ice super on landing if they try to do anything

ah...this. i was watching the mitsuru sbo champ on jiyuna's stream archive, and he would cancel his blocked dp's into stabstabstab kick special instead of bufudyne. any body know why?
or was he just trollin

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I will always be annoyed at the fact Mitsuru's 5A beats S.Lab's j.B clean
la252_09.png

mi200_02.png

How? Who the fuck knows!

Scratch

So in Aki's case if you DP you could super then OMC if super whiffs too?

if it whiffs, no you can't OMC. you just wallow in your shame as you fall back to the ground.

if it gets blocked, yeah you can OMC, but that's 100 meter, so whatever suits your fancy. i think wake up maziodyne, OMC is the better option if you're in awakening

They're about as unsafe.

Prada Kick does more damage I think.

that's what i was thinking. but he won sbo using the bufudyne gimmick. i think you can roll around the stabs and kicks. not sure about bufudyne though. i think i tried to roll bufudyne and just ended up eating the raw super. it was great.

Grifter

just played 2 games against an akihiko who tried to IK me and I supered thru him and shot/throw whiffed against him for several seconds.

Steaks

The blue boxes are where you can be hit. The red boxes are where your attack hits. Basically, if your red box overlaps with your opponent's blue box, you're going to hit them.

Also if a red box overlaps with another red box, but not a blue box, a clash will happen (unless it's a projectile).

Do note that certain moves have hitboxes but also have flags that make them immune to certain stuff, so you can see a hitbox on say, an R Action, but in game it will have a flag that says "immune to strikes" for x frames or something, so hitboxes do not tell the whole story. Most 2Bs are immune to air attacks for a certain amount of time I'm pretty sure. There's a lot of information hitboxes will not tell you so do not take them at face value.

The gaudy colors are pretty much making sure it's easier for the developer to handle palettes. Those are just the colors the game defaults to before changing them in game and are utterly meaningless!

Top Bottom